Pumpkin picking on Long Island

Full story: Newsday 26
A bumper crop of pumpkins awaits eager pickers on Long Island farms - where hay rides, corn mazes and homemade delicacies add to the allure of the annual family pilgrimage. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lisa from Lindenhurst

AOL

#1 Oct 12, 2008
Colonial Springs Farm

Have to say this was the most unpleasant pumpkin picking experience I have ever had. First if all they charge you $2.00 a person just to go into the place <shocked they didnt charge us for the use of the wagon> felt more like i was at a carnival waiting on line to pick prepicked pumpkins. And it cost us a small fortune. One a scale from 1 - 10 this was certainly a minus 5
Tide Runner

Shirley, NY

#2 Oct 12, 2008
Lisa from Lindenhurst wrote:
Colonial Springs Farm
Have to say this was the most unpleasant pumpkin picking experience I have ever had. First if all they charge you $2.00 a person just to go into the place <shocked they didnt charge us for the use of the wagon> felt more like i was at a carnival waiting on line to pick prepicked pumpkins. And it cost us a small fortune. One a scale from 1 - 10 this was certainly a minus 5
You poor thing, how could they ??? You just convinced me not to go Turkey picken...
Laurie at Options Realty

Levittown, NY

#3 Oct 13, 2008
Anyone who hasn't brought the kids (or not) to a haunted corn maze on the North fork of Long Island is really missing out- it's hilarious!

Since: Aug 08

Now a Ghetto

#4 Oct 13, 2008
Lisa from Lindenhurst wrote:
Colonial Springs Farm
Have to say this was the most unpleasant pumpkin picking experience I have ever had. First if all they charge you $2.00 a person just to go into the place <shocked they didnt charge us for the use of the wagon> felt more like i was at a carnival waiting on line to pick prepicked pumpkins. And it cost us a small fortune. One a scale from 1 - 10 this was certainly a minus 5
You poor thing ... they let you know up front that for $2 you are entering a farm, you pay it, and then complain .. what a bummer ....
Tide Runner

Shirley, NY

#5 Oct 13, 2008
Lisa from Lindenhurst wrote:
Colonial Springs Farm
Have to say this was the most unpleasant pumpkin picking experience I have ever had. First if all they charge you $2.00 a person just to go into the place <shocked they didnt charge us for the use of the wagon> felt more like i was at a carnival waiting on line to pick prepicked pumpkins. And it cost us a small fortune. One a scale from 1 - 10 this was certainly a minus 5
Seeing a person like you, who relys on Principle...Seems like the nature part of the fun is missing at that farm...
Jacki from Farmingdale

Wantagh, NY

#6 Oct 15, 2008
This farm was the cutest I have seen. It's only $2 to get in and there is no fee to park...unlike others that charge $15...just to park your car...that is ridiculous. I can't say enough good things about this farm. Pumkpin picking...corn maze...hay ride...by far the best...great for children and not very crowded at all!
Coop

White Plains, NY

#7 Oct 23, 2008
BILLY MAYS wrote:
<quoted text>
You poor thing ... they let you know up front that for $2 you are entering a farm, you pay it, and then complain .. what a bummer ....
I read a bit of sarcasm. When you have your kids exciting about going it is a real difficult to not to enter after waiting on the line. I have 5 kids of my own so just to enter the farm it would be 14 bucks! It is a real rip off.

_Next time try to find an all you can carry one. The 2 bucks per person would then be worth it.
Coop

White Plains, NY

#8 Oct 23, 2008
Oh, and up front they let you know...no they don't. Not until you plan your day to go and you get there. Not one farm has on their web page the cost of anything!
Coop

White Plains, NY

#9 Oct 23, 2008
Jacki from Farmingdale wrote:
This farm was the cutest I have seen. It's only $2 to get in and there is no fee to park...unlike others that charge $15...just to park your car...that is ridiculous. I can't say enough good things about this farm. Pumkpin picking...corn maze...hay ride...by far the best...great for children and not very crowded at all!
Which farm is this?
Tide Runner

Shirley, NY

#10 Oct 23, 2008
My biggest- ist dream in my whole life was to have my own Pumpkin farm.... I can't wait !!!
OneVoice3

Winter Springs, FL

#11 Oct 23, 2008
I know we are all far away from Omaha, Nebraska - but if you ever have the chance to go there go to VALA's PUMPKIN PATCH - they have Childrens Fairy Tale Village, Haunted Houses, Haunted field tours, Fresh preserves. Then you get on a hay wagon pulled by a tractor to the Pumpkin Patch - yes the pumpkins will cost twice a much as anywhere, but it is a day of fun reletively inexpensively.
Tide Runner

Shirley, NY

#12 Oct 23, 2008
OneVoice3 wrote:
I know we are all far away from Omaha, Nebraska - but if you ever have the chance to go there go to VALA's PUMPKIN PATCH - they have Childrens Fairy Tale Village, Haunted Houses, Haunted field tours, Fresh preserves. Then you get on a hay wagon pulled by a tractor to the Pumpkin Patch - yes the pumpkins will cost twice a much as anywhere, but it is a day of fun reletively inexpensively.
Thanks !! I'll write that in on my calender....
Coop

White Plains, NY

#13 Oct 23, 2008
You have a lot of anger. It is all good
Tide Runner

Shirley, NY

#14 Oct 23, 2008
Coop wrote:
You have a lot of anger. It is all good
Boo Boo hoooo !!!
TwoVoice4

United States

#15 Oct 23, 2008
OneVoice3 wrote:
I know we are all far away from Omaha, Nebraska - but if you ever have the chance to go there go to VALA's PUMPKIN PATCH - they have Childrens Fairy Tale Village, Haunted Houses, Haunted field tours, Fresh preserves. Then you get on a hay wagon pulled by a tractor to the Pumpkin Patch - yes the pumpkins will cost twice a much as anywhere, but it is a day of fun reletively inexpensively.
There's a farm in Vacaville, California that holds a pumpkin festival every October. It has real scarecrows, games for the kids, and a food booth. You get to pick your own pumpkin too, right from the patch. Don't miss this unique opportunity!
OneVoice3

Winter Springs, FL

#17 Oct 24, 2008
TwoVoice4 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a farm in Vacaville, California that holds a pumpkin festival every October. It has real scarecrows, games for the kids, and a food booth. You get to pick your own pumpkin too, right from the patch. Don't miss this unique opportunity!
I was just in CA in April (my old stomping grounds) but never experienced Vacaville.:o(

It is a shame that there are not more "innocent" fun things to do for children now days. Not unless you want to spend nearly a hundred dollars per person at Disney.
Townie

Patchogue, NY

#19 Oct 28, 2008
Pumpkin picking is a money sucking scam! Oh the kids love it! Take them to the park and buy em a pumpkin at the supermarket and they still love it!
Tide Runner

Shirley, NY

#20 Oct 28, 2008
Townie wrote:
Pumpkin picking is a money sucking scam! Oh the kids love it! Take them to the park and buy em a pumpkin at the supermarket and they still love it!
Tell us you would love to have your very own Pumpkin Farm... LOL !!!
Townie

Yaphank, NY

#21 Oct 28, 2008
pumpkins are a nice cash business, you grow your product, bag of seed for cost! couple of wagons and mommies by the caravan load. Unfortunately my taxes are so high i would have to charge $100.00 per pumpkin or $50.00 for parking!
john

Kissimmee, FL

#23 Oct 8, 2010
Coop wrote:
<quoted text>
I read a bit of sarcasm. When you have your kids exciting about going it is a real difficult to not to enter after waiting on the line. I have 5 kids of my own so just to enter the farm it would be 14 bucks! It is a real rip off.
_Next time try to find an all you can carry one. The 2 bucks per person would then be worth it.
is 14 dollers worth your kids smile please are you kidding me if you can't spend 14 or 2 then its best you just all stay home just saying

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 6 hr Bruser 2,363
Got kicked from the college need money, selling... 17 hr fred666 3
Man Found Dead in Jail Cell (Feb '12) 18 hr AllAboutTheBenjamins 10
Mosque at old Citibank location on Bedford?` Sat Frankie 1
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Sat Bruser 7,934
Six LI Catholic Elementary Schools to Close (Dec '11) Fri 31 years an RN 266
Wooden grain scale (Mar '07) Thu Calvin James 72

Melville News Video

Melville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Melville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Melville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Melville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:37 am PST

NBC Sports10:37AM
Jets and Patriots defenses shine in first quarter
NBC Sports11:03 AM
Nick Mangold carted off, Jets tie game
Bleacher Report11:08 AM
Mangold (Ankle) Carted Off, Won't Return vs. NE
NBC Sports11:18 AM
Jets' Mangold leaves with left ankle injury - NBC Sports
NBC Sports11:24 AM
Jets lead Patriots 10-7 at halftime