Singleton's Seafood Shack

Full story: Newsday 29
At 5 p.m. on a brilliant summer afternoon, I arrived at Tobay Beach, not to swim but rather to eat at Singleton's Seafood Shack. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jgc

Central Islip, NY

#1 Jul 15, 2008
well, my husband and I wanted a seaside dinner,by the water,and I remembered seeing this place at Tobay when we were on the Ocean Beach Pkwy one afternoon.We settled for the restaurant serving side.At 7:20p.m.there were approx. 5 tables with people at them.It hosts at least 30 tables. We wanted a table at the rail, closest to the water...which was available...but was "better" to hold for a 4-6 party,so we were told by the hostess. No busboys in sight to clear the table next to it ...a"good" table for 2-4.So, we waited,and waited,as the hostesses(2) did nothing,just looking at the table,as if it would CLEAR itself...at 7:40p.m. our table was READY. The view was great, the waiter,who also had worked at several of the Singh other restaurants, just couldn't cut it. When I asked the "market" price of the soft shell crabs,he said, "AROUND" $22.00,though he went into the kitchen to ask,he had to be asked again what the price was...he actually forgot,from the time he went into the kitchen ,till he walked out to our table! Now,$24.00....okay, fair enough. we went with that and an order of Cioppino over LINGUINI !.It was taking a long time...and there's no complimentary crudite or bread while you're waiting for dinner,so we ordered a soup to enjoy the sunset by. Well, though we asked the waiter,where the soup was,he assured us it was "on its way." We reminded him kindly,that we wanted it as an appetizer, so we watched him go by the soup,because you could see the black soup kettle sitting on the service bar,in plain sight,as he kept walking past it,never stopping to pour a soup and BRING IT TO THE TABLE ! Sure enough...he brings the hot soup at the same time as our hot dinners. So do you eat the soup and let the pasta ,which was spaghetti,NOT LINGUINI,which we were not told about( we would not have ordered the dish...we're just not spaghetti people,(linguini IS different)So we sent the soup back. It made an appearance as a "we're sorry for the mix up" 3 times. At the 3rd appearance, we were so bothered,that we said,"just leave it! No grated cheese for the Cioppino dish, no tartar sauce,or anything for the "way tooo fried soft shell crabs(I should have not taken the waiters advice,he said he didn't think the sauteed crabs were sauteed enough)Just a miserable experience...in fact ,when the manager came by,probably customarily,because the place was EMPTY by 8:30, to see if everything was alright...we just said,"yes".We just wanted to get out and go home.....NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! Oh yes, the best part....the "market"priced crabs,that we asked the price on ,twice.....$27.00 on the bill! Toooo expensive for 2 medium crabs....would NOT have ordered them either....in fact we probably would not have eaten there if we know ANYTHING!!!

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#2 Jul 15, 2008
you had me til you said, we're just not spagetti people. Linguini people certainly wouldn't put the time or words into a post such as this.

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#3 Jul 15, 2008
and you never put cheese on fish!!!!!
Semantics

Newport, KY

#4 Jul 23, 2008
jgc wrote:
well, my husband and I wanted a seaside dinner,by the water,and I remembered seeing this place at Tobay when we were on the Ocean Beach Pkwy one afternoon.We settled for the restaurant serving side.At 7:20p.m.there were approx. 5 tables with people at them.It hosts at least 30 tables. We wanted a table at the rail, closest to the water...which was available...but was "better" to hold for a 4-6 party,so we were told by the hostess. No busboys in sight to clear the table next to it ...a"good" table for 2-4.So, we waited,and waited,as the hostesses(2) did nothing,just looking at the table,as if it would CLEAR itself...at 7:40p.m. our table was READY. The view was great, the waiter,who also had worked at several of the Singh other restaurants, just couldn't cut it. When I asked the "market" price of the soft shell crabs,he said, "AROUND" $22.00,though he went into the kitchen to ask,he had to be asked again what the price was...he actually forgot,from the time he went into the kitchen ,till he walked out to our table! Now,$24.00....okay, fair enough. we went with that and an order of Cioppino over LINGUINI !.It was taking a long time...and there's no complimentary crudite or bread while you're waiting for dinner,so we ordered a soup to enjoy the sunset by. Well, though we asked the waiter,where the soup was,he assured us it was "on its way." We reminded him kindly,that we wanted it as an appetizer, so we watched him go by the soup,because you could see the black soup kettle sitting on the service bar,in plain sight,as he kept walking past it,never stopping to pour a soup and BRING IT TO THE TABLE ! Sure enough...he brings the hot soup at the same time as our hot dinners. So do you eat the soup and let the pasta ,which was spaghetti,NOT LINGUINI,which we were not told about( we would not have ordered the dish...we're just not spaghetti people,(linguini IS different)So we sent the soup back. It made an appearance as a "we're sorry for the mix up" 3 times. At the 3rd appearance, we were so bothered,that we said,"just leave it! No grated cheese for the Cioppino dish, no tartar sauce,or anything for the "way tooo fried soft shell crabs(I should have not taken the waiters advice,he said he didn't think the sauteed crabs were sauteed enough)Just a miserable experience...in fact ,when the manager came by,probably customarily,because the place was EMPTY by 8:30, to see if everything was alright...we just said,"yes".We just wanted to get out and go home.....NEVER AGAIN!!!!!! Oh yes, the best part....the "market"priced crabs,that we asked the price on ,twice.....$27.00 on the bill! Toooo expensive for 2 medium crabs....would NOT have ordered them either....in fact we probably would not have eaten there if we know ANYTHING!!!
I've never heard of Cioppino over pasta, but ok... No tartar sauce? You're lucky you didn't get the waiter's "special" sauce in your food after all of your nonsense.

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#5 Jul 23, 2008
Semantics wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never heard of Cioppino over pasta, but ok... No tartar sauce? You're lucky you didn't get the waiter's "special" sauce in your food after all of your nonsense.
cioppino over pasta??? then you've never been to the fine dining establishments of LI. they're always pushing the envelope. tee hee

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#6 Jul 23, 2008
roger43 wrote:
you had me til you said, we're just not spagetti people. Linguini people certainly wouldn't put the time or words into a post such as this.
Those angel hair people are nothing but trouble too.

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#7 Jul 23, 2008
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
Those angel hair people are nothing but trouble too.
they're better than the fettucini people!

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#8 Jul 23, 2008
and who puts cheez on fish? that really burns me.

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#9 Jul 23, 2008
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
they're better than the fettucini people!
Fettucini people are the worst...they should all be shot out of a cannon.

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#10 Jul 23, 2008
roger43 wrote:
and who puts cheez on fish? that really burns me.
Not too many recipes out there with cheese and fish. Although Mama Tap makes this stuffed sole with swiss and mushrooms on top that ain't bad, but you're right, it's just mush and you really don't taste any fish.

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#11 Jul 23, 2008
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
Fettucini people are the worst...they should all be shot out of a cannon.
and point them towards the spagetti eaters

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#12 Jul 23, 2008
Tap San in LIC wrote:
<quoted text>
Not too many recipes out there with cheese and fish. Although Mama Tap makes this stuffed sole with swiss and mushrooms on top that ain't bad, but you're right, it's just mush and you really don't taste any fish.
that's like drinking malibu rum with diet black cherry soda. gross

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#13 Jul 23, 2008
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
that's like drinking malibu rum with diet black cherry soda. gross
excuse me, it was wild cherry, thank you very much. And it was coconut flavored rum. Poor planning on my part, I agree.

“silly conspiracy theory HA”

Since: Mar 07

Long Island

#14 Jul 23, 2008
I never been to Tobay, always went to either Jones, Point Lookout or even Fire Island.

This sounds good, maybe ill have to take mrs inthecrapper out for a nice sunset meal :)

“It might have been !!!”

Since: Aug 07

F&P City

#15 Jul 23, 2008
roger43 wrote:
<quoted text>
and point them towards the spagetti eaters
tee-hee.

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#16 Jul 23, 2008
InTheCrapper wrote:
I never been to Tobay, always went to either Jones, Point Lookout or even Fire Island.
This sounds good, maybe ill have to take mrs inthecrapper out for a nice sunset meal :)
you have to live in the town of oyster bay to go there...or at least that's how it used to be. i think you can go to the shack after a certain time. don't forget to get extra cheese with your seafood stew.
Crabbe

Shirley, NY

#17 Jul 23, 2008
Next time go to Stillwaters in Seaford for lunch in September... Nice Rib Eye, Soup, Vegatable, and a drink, about 30 dollars 2 people, plus it's outside... Also Crabby Amies down the road is OK for fried, also outside...

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#18 Jul 23, 2008
p.s. Mrs inthe crapper. KUDOS! someone's pay attention.....unless this is that fake TMAN doosh.

“We create our own BS in life”

Since: Jun 08

Jericho, NY

#19 Jul 23, 2008
roger43 wrote:
and you never put cheese on fish!!!!!
you can put cheese whiz on some fish dear - tee hee

“I'm down with F&P, ”

Since: Aug 07

Toronto

#20 Jul 23, 2008
Ashley from LI wrote:
<quoted text>
you can put cheese whiz on some fish dear - tee hee
how much whiz is in your cheese whiz?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dogwood la 7 hr Sambee 1
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 17 hr Bruser 7,936
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Tue Sambee 2,046
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Tue Bruser 2,365
Man Found Dead in Jail Cell (Feb '12) Mon GODBlessAmerica 11
Review: Bt Orthotic Labs Inc (Oct '08) Dec 22 James 6
6 arrested after trio caught carrying safe in D... (May '09) Dec 9 StepPredator 31

Melville News Video

Melville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Melville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Melville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Melville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:53 pm PST

NBC Sports12:53PM
Smith sees himself as Jets' QB 'for a long time' - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports12:53 PM
Smith sees being Jets' QB for long time
ESPN 1:16 PM
QB Smith wants to be part of Jets' 'solution'
Bleacher Report 8:10 PM
Breaking Down Giants Game Plan vs. Eagles
Bleacher Report 9:00 PM
Breaking Down Jets Game Plan vs. Dolphins