Home's deck collapse injures students...

Home's deck collapse injures students bound for prom

There are 11 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 28, 2008, titled Home's deck collapse injures students bound for prom. In it, Newsday reports that:

Prom night may be the highlight of many a teenager's halcyon memories. But for a group of Ward Melville students and their friends, the pre-party activities became a mission to just get to their school prom ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jun 28, 2008
I hope the video is shown on “America’s Funniest Home Videos”. that must have been funny to see.
Contractor

Bronx, NY

#3 Jun 28, 2008
A ledger board, the wood beam that helps to secure the deck to the house, had given way, causing the collapse, said Town of Brookhaven chief building inspector Arthur Gerhauser. The deck was about 20 years old and had the proper permit and certificate of occupancy, he said. The buildings department determined the deck was not overloaded, though it was unclear if the owners will face violations or charges.

I hope the ledger board was bolted 16" O.C. to the house box beam, with 4" x 1/2" bolts. This is the Brookhaven specification for a deck. If it was not, then they had better check with the inspector that approved the deck for a certificate of occupancy. They always make me do this when I get inpsections. In any case they should cite the homeowner for a deck they approved - right or wrong.
Mini MEEEE

United States

#4 Jun 28, 2008
I smell a law suit, can anyone spell ouch?? i think i have brain damage now. i cant work and have to be on disability the rest of my life??
Moe

Paterson, NJ

#5 Jun 28, 2008
I'll give a rat's tail and a double barrel between the eyes that illegal immigrants who were picked up at a 7-11 or Home Depot by a piece of gutter do do contractor built this piece of bat's tird of a deck.

DEPORT ALIENS ASAP
SwiftJustice

New York, NY

#6 Jun 28, 2008
Illegal structure - doing everything on the cheap.

Now the parents will lose EVERYTHING.

Good luck at the homeless shelter.
liner

Bronx, NY

#7 Jun 28, 2008
SwiftJustice wrote:
Illegal structure - doing everything on the cheap.
Now the parents will lose EVERYTHING.
Good luck at the homeless shelter.
Guess you were busy when you got to the part of the article that said he had all permits and a certificate of occupancy and the deck was not overloaded. Plus, for the rest of you, it was built 20 years ago, long before the illegals got here. And for the contractor who gave us all a lesson in construction techniques then says the homeowner should be cited. For what? Having a legal, permitted deck? Idiots.
thogy

Peekskill, NY

#8 Jun 28, 2008
Moe wrote:
I'll give a rat's tail and a double barrel between the eyes that illegal immigrants who were picked up at a 7-11 or Home Depot by a piece of gutter do do contractor built this piece of bat's tird of a deck.
DEPORT ALIENS ASAP
Hey Moe, with that comment I have to ask if you are of any relation to another Moe?
You know, as in Larry and Curly?
dwe1025

Paterson, NJ

#9 Jun 28, 2008
Haha I know those people. suckaaaas
Contractor

Bronx, NY

#10 Jun 28, 2008
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess you were busy when you got to the part of the article that said he had all permits and a certificate of occupancy and the deck was not overloaded. Plus, for the rest of you, it was built 20 years ago, long before the illegals got here. And for the contractor who gave us all a lesson in construction techniques then says the homeowner should be cited. For what? Having a legal, permitted deck? Idiots.
Someone has got to pay and the Town will never take responsibility for approving shoddy construction. If the deck was built well, it wouldn't have fallen. Therefore and inspector approved a substandard deck. Now the homeowner's are going to get sued. The town will cite them to throw the blame on them.

“Slappy X. Sanchez, Esq.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#12 Jun 29, 2008
HAHHAHAHAHA!!! Poor pumpkins were late for the prom.
i know everything

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Jan 14, 2009
AS it turns out it was just an overload of people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Father Damien Cooper pastor in Lindenhurst foll... (Dec '12) Jul 20 Kristy 3
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Jul 18 Horatio 2,106
Review: Brunswick Hospital Center Amityville Ny (Aug '13) Jul 17 Don 3
Village of Northport Police (Dec '08) Jul 16 Rick E Kasso 17
News James DiMartino, shot, victim (Oct '08) Jul 15 Donna dimartino 141
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Jul 13 scott 60
Dick and Dora's (Nov '09) Jul 13 Matt 68

Melville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance