New 20 Million Dollar Dix Hills Fire House? is this a joke?

Posted in the Melville Forum

Mike Fein

New York, NY

#1 Feb 7, 2011
This has sneaky written all over it and to do this during such a period of deficits and a recession is disgusting.

I just got a lesson in how my Dix Hills Fire Dept funds their projects and was not very pleased with the way they go about voting to approve a bond proposal. I was not aware until I stumbled upon a vote slated at the Dix Hills Firehouse (how convenient) on E Deer Park Ave on March 8th to float a 20 million dollar bond to build a new firehouse. The Fire Commissioner will tell us how terrible the facility is. It is his story. I believe we need an outside audit/inspection hired by an independent council of what it will really take to upgrade the existing facility to meet code and our needs.

I would like to see competitive bids submitted to do the renovations first. Many firms in these slow times would love the opportunity to bid on renovations. I also want to know why the local Dix Hills residents are not sent a mailer to notify them of this bond vote since it will increase their taxes. They sure have no problem sending letters individually to our homes requesting money. I am in no way disparaging the jobs these guys do, I respect and appreciate them; however in such a severe recession with budget deficits looming over all of our government agencies why can't we do our due diligence and get multiple bids for a renovation project first. I also request this bond vote be postponed until the residents have been duly notified of the bond proposal, am I am not talking about a small fine print legal notice tucked away in the back of Newsday, which gives the impression of a sneaky devious way to get this approved without the consent of the local taxpayers.

All those who are apposed to this need to come out March 8th to vote… NOT YET until we get all the facts!

Tom Adams

Bronx, NY

#2 Feb 15, 2011
Dix Hills FD has updated their 2 substations and their Hdqtrs is antiquated. I am for their district to build a new firehouse but I think they need to downscale it.
As an East Northport resident, I also believe that the East Northport Fire Department commissioners were very "sneaky" in the way they presented their plans for our new substation on Clay Pitts Rd. ENFD is an extremely antiquated fire district. We have no paid first responder paramedics like Dix Hills, only 3 chiefs as opposed to 4 and no digital sign out front of our fire house to advise the community of events/meetings in our fire district. I even attended a ENFD Board of Fire Commissioner meeting offering to donate $5000 for a new digital sign but they didnt want to put one up. There is also not enough parking at our headquarters. No training facility leaving members to leave our district as well. Our website is outdated. In addition no fire station for our northside of the fire district...just an offensive lot with a temporary shed.
I am for Dix Hills FD to build a new firehouse just downsize the cost. They have proven to be a model for response in the town of Huntington and well organized. I wish our Board of Fire Commissioners would take notice and finally implement new measures/protocol in our town like DHFD!
A Firefighter

East Setauket, NY

#3 Feb 19, 2011
“From a firefighter”
To Michael Shain, or MShain1 as you go by on the Newsday website, or Michael Fain as you go by here and on the Dix Hills Patch site, or as the anonymous person who is writing erroneous information on fliers and stuffing them into local mailboxes:
Where are you when a fire breaks out? Are you on the trucks? Are you familiar with the exact needs of the department? Where are you when a firefighter enters a burning building and finds one of our fellow citizens burned to a crisp? Where are you when a young woman is trapped in her burning car and needs to be extricated within seconds? Where are you when firefighters and EMS workers find body parts of teenagers splattered across a roadway after a car crash? Where are you when wives and mothers sit at home worrying about their loved ones who are out fighting a blaze? Where were you when the fire department rushed to the aid of a three year-old Leukemia victim during a blackout and needed electricity and a refrigerator for his lifesaving medication? Where were you last year when we discretely reached out to needy families to provide them with presents for the holidays?
You were nowhere to be found.
And because you have no familiarity with the fire department, there’s much you don’t know about its plans for the construction of a new headquarters building. You also don’t know that it was us who called Newsday to get accurate information to the public, nor do you seem to know that other public hearings arebeing held, or that the community is welcome to ask questions of Commissioner Tepe at any time.
I’m not going to get into the minutia of every small detail that you call into question. However, suffice it to say, Michael Shain, you have me really steamed. Either you’re blissfully ignorant based on your lack of familiarity with the daily workings of the department (and how municipal projects and bonds are created), or you’re outright making things up and posting them as fact. The distorted artist's rendering of the proposed headquarters you placed at the top of your flier, which makes the project look infinitely larger than it really is, suggestes the latter.
You clearly have an agenda that has little to do with a concern for the community. For example, in the local throwaway newspaper you're quoted as accusing the architect who drew up the plans for the new headquarters as "unethical". Why? Because you think he shouldn't be allowed to create alternate plans for a renovation. Your point of view is infantile at best. However, I think it's important for everyone to know that you posted this unsolicited offer to the Dix Hills Fire Department on the Patch.com website: "I would be happy to oversee and report on the engineering inspection and quotes to the existing facility." Given that you also own an HVAC company, isn't your accusation against the architect like calling the kettle black? Does the very small handful of naysayers you've been able to scrape together know about this hidden agenda of yours?
Essentially your posts accuse the Dix Hills Fire Department of lying to the very community it has faithfully served for more than 60 years. That's not the DHFD I've come to know. Not by a long shot. Shame on you.
Sike Mhain

Albany, NY

#4 Feb 23, 2011
No, but you're a joke Mike Shain. You're always screaming and yelling about one issue or another. All you end up doing is alienating people. Leave the firefighters alone. They're the true pride of the Hills and they know what they're doing.
joe

East Hampton, NY

#5 Mar 3, 2011
another shakedown. i guess my house is antiquated also. if the roof leaks we should all pitch in and built me a new house. you guys are trying to get this thing done whether we can afford it or not. it smells bad. vote AGAINST.
The Real Truth

East Setauket, NY

#6 Mar 6, 2011
Michael Shain is a liar.
He says in the Long Islander Newspaper that his fire taxes are almost $1200. Really!?!?!?!?!$1200!?!?! C'mon, Mike, how stupid do you think the community is. There are million dollar homes that have much, much lower fire taxes than that. Unless you live in a palace, which I know you don't, you're lying to the public about your fire tax bill. But it wouldn't be the first time you've done that, now would it? Just look at all the other fabrications you've made up about the fire department.
I think the real story that Patch and Newsday and News 12 have overlooked is the smear campaign you've conducted. Very strange indeed.
TAX PAYER

Bridgeport, CT

#7 Mar 25, 2011
This really expensive!!!! 20 MILLION thats alot of money guys!!!! And, what that means to me and everyone who lives in Dix Hills....More Taxes!!Our taxes are going up but our appraisals are going down!!!! The values of our homes are on a down slide. Homes in this area are very expensive!!!Many people who are living in this area has invested alot of money to upgrade their homes only to find out that its not appraising!!!So, when I see that their is a project that is going to cost me money out of my pocket!!! I need to say, lets thing about this.. I respect what the firefighters do, and how important they are to our community but for now 2OMILLION is just not something that should even be discussed!!! hard times - Not really appropriate to ask the tax payer to pay more right NOW. Sorry, I am aganist this project!!!!!
What a Shain-A Disgrace

East Setauket, NY

#8 Apr 8, 2011
Hey Tax Payer.
Are you freakin' serious? You're really bitching and complaining about what will amount on average to about 32 cents per day or less for Dix Hills homeowners? Really?!?
And enough with you noodnicks and nonsense people using that silly "now's not the time" argument. It doesn't hold water. That headquarters building has been in disrepair for decades now and the fire department has done all they can to Band Aid it together, staving off a re-build for as long as possible. It's like a cancer. And is there really any good time to get cancer? They've done what they can and now it's time to build anew. Is there really any good time to have to do something like that? No. So you can use that excuse until the cows come home, but it simply doesn't wash.
Taxpayer-not a mall

Mobile, AL

#10 Apr 30, 2011
Really...20 million???

Does anyone else realize what you could do with 20,000,000.00 dollars. I my opinion you don't NEED a new fire house.

Key word is NEED.
FU Taxpayer

East Setauket, NY

#11 May 6, 2011
"Taxpasyer" stay in Alabama and mind your own business.
F Mike Shain

East Setauket, NY

#12 May 14, 2011
Ya cheap bastard. Get a life.
Taxpayer

Huntington Station, NY

#13 Oct 6, 2012
I strongly encourage anyone who does not understand the costs of building of a fire station to JOIN the Dix Hills Fire Department. At first glance,$20 million sounds steep, but consider this: Fire engines alone cost about a million dollars a piece. A firefighter's turnout gear and air pack total over $10,000 per firefighter. An EMT class can cost over $1000.

But these are the costs of having first responders to OUR TOWN'S emergencies. And may I add that most of them donate their time and efforts FOR FREE. They volunteer for YOUR BENEFIT.

The bottom line is this: Emergency response is expensive. They offer these services to taxpayers, free of charge per incident for some minimal amount of taxes. That Headquarters building is the most important building we have: Our dispatcher and chiefs are in that building. It is a hub for our equipment, training and radio protocols. It is imperative that this building is fixed to be as effective as possible to best serve us as taxpayers. Surely, the DHFD prevents $20 million dollars worth of blaze-related damage to people, property and vehicles annually, not to mention the lives they save which are priceless. Regardless, it's certainly worth and INVESTMENT (not a cost) of whatever they need to make it happen.

Before you criticize our town's department, I strongly suggest that you get involved with the department (like get up at midnight to respond to a motor vehicle collision and pry someone out of a car and drive them to a hospital until 3 am only to drag yourself to work the next day at 6 am) or work with our commissioners and board to bring the price down for our new headquarters.

If you don't have the guts to even show up at our department to voice your opinion because you're too busy hiding behind online message boards, then I'm sure I speak for many emergency responders when I say your opinion his irrelevant and the Dix Hills Fire Department does not care to hear what's on the mind of a coward.

An investment in our department is an investment in our town, our children, our future, and our emergency volunteers. Donate to your local department, get involved and vote yes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 1 hr Bruser 2,343
Got kicked from the college need money, selling... 4 hr Johnny Bots 2
Debate: Health Care - Massapequa Park, NY (Jan '10) Thu Bruser 1,462
Reservoir Dogs MC U either support 81 Sex offen... (Oct '13) Thu Just Me 17
Adopting older kids: heavenly (Dec '06) Wed edlacinski 4
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Nov 18 murph 2,028
Tarrantino murders (Jun '11) Nov 17 MR GRs 157

Melville News Video

Melville Dating
Find my Match