Court will expedite town's appeal on ...

Court will expedite town's appeal on Syosset mall

There are 5 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 30, 2008, titled Court will expedite town's appeal on Syosset mall. In it, Newsday reports that:

A court yesterday granted a mall developer's request to expedite the Town of Oyster Bay's appeal of a recent judge's order to allow the construction of a luxury mall in Syosset .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

liner

Bronx, NY

#1 Jul 30, 2008
Tell you what, plant grass and trees on the property and you've got a deal. How about it?
Tommy

Holtsville, NY

#2 Jul 31, 2008
Hey. If he won the case... Why fight it any longer??? It will bring Syossets school taxes down... Wont that be a plus to anyone in the town thats mostly residential?
StopTaubman

United States

#3 Aug 6, 2008
Tommy,
No it's not. Residents won't care about the miniscule reduction in THEIR tax bill. They'll care that their kids can no longer safely get to Robbins Lane elementary school. Meanwhile, residents of Jericho and north Hicksville (all which are part of the Town of Oyster Bay) will see more traffic, more dangerous roads, and hear more noise - all without a dime of revenue to their respective school districts.

Read Judge Spinner's ruling, where he falsely categorizes all of the local resident civic associations as "fronts" for the Simon Mall company (who manages Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman malls). In refusing to recognize the community, he put a bright red "APPEAL HERE!" sticker on his ruling. And that's exactly what TOB is doing. Rightfully so.
Tommy

Holtsville, NY

#4 Aug 12, 2008
Personally...I live on a main road. I lived there all my life. Apparently as I grew into my teen years, they started to add the HOV Lane to the LIE by my house... and guess what? My road was the detour.

Every morning and every night... from 3pm - 7pm theyre was a stream of cars on my street causing heavy traffic. Did my town complain? We have an elementary school... We have a back entrance to a high school on this block. and guess what? We taught our children to cross on the light... Its harmless to put a mall there... Just teach your children the rules of being a pedestrian and if you still dont like it... Stay home and pick them up and take them to school. Its unused property going to waste. and if it can create jobs for people in need... I am for it.
StopTaubman wrote:
Tommy,
No it's not. Residents won't care about the miniscule reduction in THEIR tax bill. They'll care that their kids can no longer safely get to Robbins Lane elementary school. Meanwhile, residents of Jericho and north Hicksville (all which are part of the Town of Oyster Bay) will see more traffic, more dangerous roads, and hear more noise - all without a dime of revenue to their respective school districts.
Read Judge Spinner's ruling, where he falsely categorizes all of the local resident civic associations as "fronts" for the Simon Mall company (who manages Roosevelt Field and Walt Whitman malls). In refusing to recognize the community, he put a bright red "APPEAL HERE!" sticker on his ruling. And that's exactly what TOB is doing. Rightfully so.
SCS

Hollis, NY

#5 Feb 4, 2009
Tommy

Just because your community didn't get it together enough to fight some of the eminent domain bs in your neighborhood doesn't mean that everyone else has to be docile followers of some out of state developers. We take pride in our community, and given the type of luxury mall they wanted to have, given today's bleak economics, the whole thing doesn't make any sense, does it now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 2 hr Bruser 2,663
Joseph Nicols D.D. S. *** STAY CLEAR OF HIM *** (Jul '09) 5 hr Lisa 22
Illegal Apartments In Levittown are Hurting Pro... Tue Eager Beaver 6
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) Aug 21 Darlene 2,092
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Aug 20 Reverend Swordlaw... 8,337
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) Aug 20 Bohdis Mom 82
News Home Sale Could Solve North Babylon Library's P... Aug 18 robert widecki 1

Melville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Melville Mortgages