Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive'

Full story: Newsday

For 32 years, the Rev. Robert E. Mason celebrated a children's Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes in Massapequa Park that attracted a loyal following among some families at the ultraconservative parish.

Comments (Page 366)

Showing posts 7,301 - 7,320 of7,778
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Lacking the effectiveness to make true progress is what I believe happens when you "branch off" so to speak. It's like a father or uncle who is so sick of his family he just leaves them and complains about their wrongdoings with others who feel that same way he might be totally justified in doing so but he cannot be effective unless he's "in the mix" or back in the family trying to help. Sort of like an actual good politician (if that's even possible) getting involved to make a change instead of keeping his good character away from the political realm altogether. One man or woman could make a difference. If you look back to the reformation from Johannes Gutenberg's printing to martin luther's break from the church and the revolt he started. I think that in luther's case in my opinion a bad man made a difference. I can't help thinking sometimes if God is just laughing at all this because he allowed it to happen or if the devil really just wanted to divide the church in attempt to destroy it. I think the last 500 years have had such an impact with the Bible spread though out the world and used more as a weapon at times than the Word of God. One of many examples is the KKK (who where bible reading protestants) somehow using the word of God to commit the most horrible acts imaginable and also discriminate against Catholics as well. The Knights of Columbus rallied against them but still even today many African Americans are more protestant than catholic. From what I've encountered the main "flaw" so to speak in protestantism sure isn't lack of knowing scripture but lack of HISTORY of the early Church and sometimes ridiculous interpretation of scripture. Not to mention the thousands of different denominations which is what the Catholic church back then warned against
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe what needs to be done is instead of breaking off from the church even more as many sedevacantists and other sects have done is to try to bring back the separated denominations back into the church. I'm no professional diplomat but how hard could it possibly be to bring back the Anglicans and the Orthodox churches? Maybe very hard but they say you cannot solve a problem on the same level or state of mind it was created. Plus the fact that nothing is impossible with God. I mean how can anyone look back at that sham of a man Henry the VIII and not see that he was WRONG. I've had success talking to "protestant" or "nondenominational" church goers and simply pointing out a few things from history that gives them that "ahaa" and they come to respect Catholics and even become Catholic. The same with Lutherans I mean God help us how can they not realize their religion was started from a demented loon. Maybe that's a bit harsh but have you seen the book on the jews he wrote? Sure he was a great business man but if rupert murdoch started his own branch of Christianity I don't know who would actually take him seriously. I think that way to much knowledge is out there that if presented in the right way, at the right time, with the right people could have a major impact on Uniting Christians than further branching off. Much of what you wrote about Pope John Paul II I see where your coming from I also see that he might be a "horse of a different color" so to speak. He did things and went places no other Pope has ever done. Maybe just mayybe he was trying to be too diplomatic. Who you surround yourself with Always has an impact on you. Maybe he was too close to politicians similar to a way a priest that this thread was started about was :). You can never make Everyone happy but I feel Pope JPII did much, much more good than bad. He touched so many peoples lives and I would think brought more to the faith that not. It might just be my young age but he seems to me to be very beloved and for good reason.
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

I think teaching the Dei Verbum (the word of God) from current Vatican Council to lost prostestants would be a good start. The other web site you showed me the church militant I think serves it's purpose well and is on the right track to educate current Catholics myself included. Articles such as http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/archbish... I also find encouraging because it shows that many leaders in the church ARE using their resources to spread the faith as much as possible. Watching the journey home show, I found a lot on youtube also gives me hope that despite many things going wrong a lot of people are still being converted everyday. When your bring up Obama at the Alfred E. Smith memorial once again Politics seems to be the toughest nut to crack.
Church leaders need to Lead and can't be afraid to speak their mind in the public forum. Those that disagree are "programmed" to think that way IMO separation of church and state blah blah blahh that's how you turn into a Joe Biden Catholic. We don't need that type in power we need True Catholic's willing to speak up even if it means risking being put on "house arrest" as you described Fr. Mason. I'll leave off with an article I came about being Pro Life from a Traditionalist Catholic I think you'll like: http://arsorandi.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-pro... I think it shows that your right about the pre Vatican II but I still have a gut feeling that we should support the current Pope and pray for and educate all other Catholics instead of "leaving them behind" the blind will not get far leading the blind neither will those with sight be able to help the blind if they are all separated. Christ of Chaos is a good phrase we should trust Christ and the Church he built.
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Christ or* Chaos.
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

I'll leave off this this article.

http://www.crisismagazine.com/2012/what-the-r...

Arch Bishop Charles Chaput is such a great writer and puts his ideas together in a way that seems to get his point across and be effective with out being overly offensive. Just Catholic.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

GodBless, I thank you for your posts and will read the sites you posted. You are a good person, and I feel that you have a grasp on situations that far exceed your age. As I had posted, I take everything to heart, and my passion at times over-rides my common sense. Just another cross that I have to deal with and follow Jesus. I will be redundant and repeat that I was a Protestant for 5-6 years. I learned much about the Christian faith during those years, and feel that it was the path that God led me to. My coming back to the Catholic Church was because I had realized that the other protestant faiths were but splinters off the One True Holy Apostolic church, the Catholic Church. No other Christian denomination can claim the power to Tran-substantiate the Bread and wine
into the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ. That makes the Catholic church the only one true Apostolic Church started by Jesus through St Peter.
Yes I love Arch Bishop Charles Chaput, and the way he cuts through all of the jibber jabber, to the crux of the problems, and where our hearts and souls should be. I don't want to belabor my feelings as I believe we both have expressed ourselves truthfully and we will be always brothers in Jesus. Thanks again for sharing your feeling and your ideas, and you are right, we should stand up and act in whatever capacity we have to further the Catholic Church, but to be cautious not to relinquish our own faith in the attempt to amalgamate Christians with the Catholic church. I have been praying that Pope Benedict XVI will step in and come to an amenable solution that both the SSPX and the Vatican can live with. The last thing the Catholic church needs is to have another branch cut off the Church of Jesus.
Dominus Vobiscum
Bruser

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Today bring to Me the Souls who have become Lukewarm,

and immerse them in the abyss of My mercy. These souls wound My Heart most painfully. My soul suffered the most dreadful loathing in the Garden of Olives because of lukewarm souls. They were the reason I cried out:'Father, take this cup away from Me, if it be Your will.' For them, the last hope of salvation is to run to My mercy."

Most compassionate Jesus, You are Compassion Itself. I bring lukewarm souls into the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart. In this fire of Your pure love, let these tepid souls who, like corpses, filled You with such deep loathing, be once again set aflame. O Most Compassionate Jesus, exercise the omnipotence of Your mercy and draw them into the very ardor of Your love, and bestow upon them the gift of holy love, for nothing is beyond Your power.

Eternal Father, turn Your merciful gaze upon lukewarm souls who are nonetheless enfolded in the Most Compassionate Heart of Jesus. Father of Mercy, I beg You by the bitter Passion of Your Son and by His three-hour agony on the Cross: Let them, too, glorify the abyss of Your mercy. Amen.

Today bring to Me the Souls of Priests and Religious,

and immerse them in My unfathomable mercy. It was they who gave me strength to endure My bitter Passion. Through them as through channels My mercy flows out upon mankind."

Most Merciful Jesus, from whom comes all that is good, increase Your grace in men and women consecrated to Your service,* that they may perform worthy works of mercy; and that all who see them may glorify the Father of Mercy who is in heaven.

Eternal Father, turn Your merciful gaze upon the company of chosen ones in Your vineyard -- upon the souls of priests and religious; and endow them with the strength of Your blessing. For the love of the Heart of Your Son in which they are enfolded, impart to them Your power and light, that they may be able to guide others in the way of salvation and with one voice sing praise to Your boundless mercy for ages without end. Amen.

Read more: http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/novena ....
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Well said. The Pope's holding on to tradition and trying to bring back separated Christians has given me a sign of hope. On a more "mystical" note. I found it interesting how Pope Benedict was born on Holy Saturday and his parents where named Joseph and Mary. He goes on to say how he was the first person baptized with the new holy water for the year. He said it meant something to him. This was from the book Salt of The Earth published in 1997, 8 years before we was elected Pope. Not that it means anything but little things like this could be signs that God is still and always has been the head of the church. Many evils have come, gone and still remain but they are to divide not unite. The words of wisdom "Better than a thousand useless words is one single word that gives peace" could be used as a symbol of actions within this church. Instead of a thousand thoughts and actions that divides a single thought or action that unites is much better. What that action is I don't know but I think when the devil wants us to move we should remain calm and when he wants us to remain calm we should move. Meaning we need both to speak out and push for the reforms and traditional values the church was founded on but also pull in those who are away too much of either will cause a rupture that we don't need. Like the old saying what would Jesus do? We can only use are best judgement. We don't always know what he would do but we do know (the church) what he has done so that should be the biggest argument for sticking to tradition more than not.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

GodBless wrote:
Well said. The Pope's holding on to tradition and trying to bring back separated Christians has given me a sign of hope. On a more "mystical" note. I found it interesting how Pope Benedict was born on Holy Saturday and his parents where named Joseph and Mary. He goes on to say how he was the first person baptized with the new holy water for the year. He said it meant something to him. This was from the book Salt of The Earth published in 1997, 8 years before we was elected Pope. Not that it means anything but little things like this could be signs that God is still and always has been the head of the church. Many evils have come, gone and still remain but they are to divide not unite. The words of wisdom "Better than a thousand useless words is one single word that gives peace" could be used as a symbol of actions within this church. Instead of a thousand thoughts and actions that divides a single thought or action that unites is much better. What that action is I don't know but I think when the devil wants us to move we should remain calm and when he wants us to remain calm we should move. Meaning we need both to speak out and push for the reforms and traditional values the church was founded on but also pull in those who are away too much of either will cause a rupture that we don't need. Like the old saying what would Jesus do? We can only use are best judgement. We don't always know what he would do but we do know (the church) what he has done so that should be the biggest argument for sticking to tradition more than not.
Well said GodBless, have a great weekend, and God Bless you and your family.
Dominus Vobiscum
WestHempsteadGal

Garden City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Bruser wrote:
Anthony you have so many good people praying for you, and rooting for you. Do you realize what you are becoming? You must ask our Lord for his healing mercy. It will not be easy, and you must desire it, as we all have.
O St. Paul, the Apostle , preacher of truth and Doctor of the
Gentiles, intercede for us to GOD who chose you, for this healing of our brother Anthony. You are a vessel of election O Saint Paul the Apostle, Preacher of truth to the whole world.
O GOD, you have instructed many nations through the preaching of the blessed Apostle Paul. Let the power of his intercession with you help us who venerate his memory this day aid us in the healing of Anthony our brother in Christ who has lost his way.
Amen
Anthony does have a lot of good people praying for him. Especially after Toni Pom Pom asked people in her Anthony the EM Prayer Group on her Facebook to post that link on their own Facebook wall. The number of people who have joined the Anthony the EM Prayer Group continues to increase. It's amazing. It's up to Anthony to see the truth and to look towards doing what is right, and not to act like an adolescent but to behave like a decent Catholic man, husband, and father especially for his wife and daughters. And Msgr. Jim keeping up the "I'm 59" pretense is a little silly. Especially for those of us who grew up with him.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Pretty intersting Ephiphany customs:

http://www.sspx.org/Seasonal/epiphany_customs...
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Bruser wrote:
Pretty intersting Ephiphany customs:
http://www.sspx.org/Seasonal/epiphany_customs...
That's interesting. A show on the star of bethlehem was on before this is the sight: http://www.bethlehemstar.net/ It was really interesting also.
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

site* Sight was for the magi lol
Frank

Rockville Centre, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

GodBless wrote:
<quoted text>
That's interesting. A show on the star of bethlehem was on before this is the sight: http://www.bethlehemstar.net/ It was really interesting also.
i went on this site and was instantly drawn to the beauty and intellectual content!

Thanks so much. I will forward on to friends and family
GodBless

Farmingdale, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Frank wrote:
<quoted text>i went on this site and was instantly drawn to the beauty and intellectual content!
Thanks so much. I will forward on to friends and family
You're welcome. It's a pretty powerful presentation, the more people see it the better.
Lou Gia

Midland Park, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Frank wrote:
<quoted text>All part of Anthony's attempts to deny himself. It is funny though, to see him pretend to be someone else. Just imagine the stress it must be for him to pretend all the time.As for the October fest, I wouldn't miss it for the world! Maybe then Anthony and I can "square off"-- that is of course, he isn't the Pastor's valet that night or part of the band???
Frank, What was THAT all about at mass yesterday?? Anthony the EM running up to the altar in the middle of Msgr. Jim's Homily to let Msgr. know that his tassle was hanging down too low to the ground?? And you could tell by Msgr.'s reaction of, just leave it alone, you had to point it out Anthony, that he didn't want to be bothered. But Anthony, the ever ready and dutiful aiming to be #1 servant to Msgr. couldn't run up there fast enough! It was embarrassing to see.
Frank

Rockville Centre, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2013

Lou Gia wrote:
<quoted text>
Frank, What was THAT all about at mass yesterday?? Anthony the EM running up to the altar in the middle of Msgr. Jim's Homily to let Msgr. know that his tassle was hanging down too low to the ground?? And you could tell by Msgr.'s reaction of, just leave it alone, you had to point it out Anthony, that he didn't want to be bothered. But Anthony, the ever ready and dutiful aiming to be #1 servant to Msgr. couldn't run up there fast enough! It was embarrassing to see.
yes. He always seem to be acting the"man servant" to the pastor.:)

Too bad I had my phone off. Would have enjoyed sending that to Toni Pom Pom You can't make this stuff up!!
The puppy love is off the charts with anthony!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Frank wrote:
<quoted text>yes. He always seem to be acting the"man servant" to the pastor.:)
Too bad I had my phone off. Would have enjoyed sending that to Toni Pom Pom You can't make this stuff up!!
The puppy love is off the charts with anthony!
Which is just a show, instead of the reason why we attend mass.
What do you think GOD is feeling about what he does, and what so many so called Catholics do during mass? I have seen videos of Priests dressed up as clowns at the Altar, people running around jumping up and down around the altar. You could not believe what has been happening in other states. I had to stop looking at the website Thecatholiccaveman,because it upset me so much. I haven't visited that website for about a year now, maybe longer. The Marine that runs that site can get a bit rough at times, but he doesn't mess around trying to be politically correct.
You who knew Msgr from childhood, and can accept altar girls, the Novus Ordo,and the new changes from Vatican Council II, will probably be observing more of these happenings. I have only sat through two of Msgrs Masses, and being a traditionalist,would not sit through another. I believe that is the reason Anthony acts and believes as he does is because he has not been corrected. Any child will grow up unruly if not corrected. Does Msgr need Anthony to handle what he is given? Is Msgr trying to save OLLMP from being shut down? Who knows,I surely do not,as I had never received any return emails, telephone calls, or letters. Not from Msgr, nor anyone in the Bishops office. I guess some people prefer to ignore than correct or speak out against what is happening. That may well and good for someone else, but not I. Anyway, it upsets me to hear of the antics of Anthony, and the fact that no none else observes it and "goes along", and those that have the power to, ignore without corrcting him. When a child is not corrected and grows up that way, it is the job of the parents to correct that child not anyone else. Does he know what he is doing is ridiculous? Does he even acknowledge that his actions are very unruly and childish?
A child will only copy the beliefs and actions of those around them. Anthony's revealing posts months ago, indicating that he will not abide by the edicts by the Pope, and feels that the Church and the Pope, have "no right to tell a woman what to do with their bodies". Where is he getting these ideas? Has he had discussions with Msgr about these ideas? I had hoped that you folks could get to the bottom of Anthony's Demented takes on what a Catholic should be like. Anyway, I am glad that I do not have to be shocked by his actions, he is trying to idolize the wrong person, the person he should be idolizing is hanging on that cross to the left.
Dominus Vobiscum
Frank

Rockville Centre, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Well said and absolutely on target Bruser. Th parishioners are subjects of the "cult of personality" looking to be entertained every Sunday.

No one has questioned the fuzzy math concerning the finances. No one dares to ask the pastor why he turns his Sunday mass into a plethora of various "events" during the mass. Not to mention the gaggle of sloppiness that strides into mass to witness the "show" that the popular pastor performs every Sunday.

The Parrish has turned into a weekly performance-art venue. Only thing missing is a roving waitress taking drink orders.

--or Anthony holding onto the tassels of msgr's vestment--oh wait!! That happened last week

Good God!
Brutis

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 8, 2013

Bruser wrote:
Slaying the Dragons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Same sex marriage:
Saints and Sinners:
Let us pray....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 7,301 - 7,320 of7,778
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Freeze Warning for Suffolk County was issued at April 24 at 7:13PM EDT

•••
•••

Melville News Video

•••
•••

Melville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Melville People Search