The adoption search

Full story: Newsday

'You must be short," Dave Mills, 42, of Napanee in Ontario, Canada, remembers saying to his birth mom in the first five minutes of a phone call he waited so long to have.
Comments
1 - 20 of 38 Comments Last updated Mar 21, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Karen C in NY

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2007

Judged:

I am a 69 year old birthmother who surrendered a son in 1963. I located him in 1998, he wanted no contact. He still doesn't. I send him cards at Christmas and on his birthday. Ms. Boucher is correct in her discription of emotions. However, the guilt, heartache and pain remains. You bury it, try to move on with life, then emotions come back to the surface with ever growing intensity. For me, Knowing my son is alive and successful in his life gave me a sense of peace. I will never give up hope that he will one day want to meet me face to face.
Ann

Annapolis, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2007

More stories like this, please!
Mart

Orange, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2007

very interest to read and have some help to find the adoption parents that gave up there children and hope that they fine there partents too. Lots of good luck to all
TONI EPSTEIN

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2007

Judged:

I TOO, FOUND MY BIRTH SON AFTER 37 YEARS....
THE LAWS OF NY MADE US WAIT THAT LONG....THE LAWS NEED TO BE CHANGED. I SHARE IN YOUR HAPPINESS. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY VOLUNTEERING I MIGHT DO TO HELP SOMEONE..PLEASE EMAIL ME AT TONI5142003@YAHOO.COM HAPPINESS TO ALL WHO UNITE...
TONI EPSTEIN

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2007

Judged:

Karen C in NY wrote:
I am a 69 year old birthmother who surrendered a son in 1963. I located him in 1998, he wanted no contact. He still doesn't. I send him cards at Christmas and on his birthday. Ms. Boucher is correct in her discription of emotions. However, the guilt, heartache and pain remains. You bury it, try to move on with life, then emotions come back to the surface with ever growing intensity. For me, Knowing my son is alive and successful in his life gave me a sense of peace. I will never give up hope that he will one day want to meet me face to face.
I AM SO SORRY FOR THE SADNESS YOU FEEL. IT IS TOO BAD THAT YOUR SON WON'T EVEN GIVE IT A CHANCE..HE DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS MISSING...
bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2007

I was adopted in 1957 from the ny foundling hospital.Myadoptive parents were Saints and I felt very guilty while they were alive to look into my past ( which they never kept a secret from me) recently I have tried to look for information which would help me understand my past but what I got has left me even more confused and angry over the laws that prevent me from know who I am. One version has me being born to a women who had 18 live births recorded! the other has me as the son of a "french secretary" who moved back to france nevever to be heard from again.. this isnt how anyone should have to find out something about themselves. Now I am 50. the chances of having any of these people still be alive is getting slim. At this point no ones "feelings" are going to be hurt and the truth has to come out to put MY mind at ease.
Dee

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2007

Judged:

I TO WAS ADOPTED WHEN I WAS ABOUT 8 YRS OLD I REALLY DIDNT KNOW TO MUCH OF THE REASONS WHY BUT MY PARENTS THAT RASIED ME ALWAYS WERE OPEN & HONEST BOUT IT .....THEN IN JULY OF 06 MY REAL SISTER CAME LOOKING FOR ME WHICH WAS A TOTAL SHOCK AND YES IT CAN BE VERY VERY OVERWHELMING BUT IN THE END OF IT ALL I TALK TO HER AND MY BIRTH MOM ON THE PHONE BUT UNFORTUNALLY MY BIRTH FARTHER PASSED AWAY BE4 I COULD FIND HIM TO MEET HIM ..I ALSO HAVE A YOUNGER BROTHER BUT FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON HE DOESNT WANT TO MEET ME WHICH IS FINE BY ME ...SO IN THE END OF IT ALL BEING ADOPTED ISNT AS BAD AS PPL MAKE IT OUT TO BE ...YES THERE R SOME BAD PPL OUT THERE THAT TAKE IN KIDS AND ADOPT THEM FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS BUT THERE ARE SOME PPL (LIKE MY FOLKS) THAT ARE GOOD PPL ...
Tommy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2007

Judged:

I am upset with celebirties adopting kids in foriegn countries, because there are so many adopted kids in the United States that need love too. We should be helping our country first and not others. Right!?
Living in the REAL World

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2007

Judged:

Tommy wrote:
I am upset with celebirties adopting kids in foriegn countries, because there are so many adopted kids in the United States that need love too. We should be helping our country first and not others. Right!?
RIGHT!

“OPEN THE SEALED RECORDS/BIRTHS”

Since: Apr 07

Hauppauge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2007

Judged:

Tommy wrote:
Right On!!!!!!!
joan

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Judged:

Hi, for anyone who is interested, there are search_support groups.
One for ny is
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nyadoptees

there is the ny state registry.
and more,
Joan
faust

Addison, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Judged:

TONI EPSTEIN wrote:
I TOO, FOUND MY BIRTH SON AFTER 37 YEARS....
THE LAWS OF NY MADE US WAIT THAT LONG....THE LAWS NEED TO BE CHANGED. I SHARE IN YOUR HAPPINESS. IF ANYONE KNOWS OF ANY VOLUNTEERING I MIGHT DO TO HELP SOMEONE..PLEASE EMAIL ME AT TONI5142003@YAHOO.COM HAPPINESS TO ALL WHO UNITE...
Why should the law change?

If you give a kid up fpr adoption you should have no part in their lives till they are at least 21, after that it should be the child's choice ONLY that decides if you ever meet.
faust

Addison, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2007

Judged:

Tommy wrote:
The laws are easier and many of them want to give a child that might die before age 18 a chance at a better life.

Who are you to decide who they let into their homes?
Toni

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2007

Judged:

To Faust-The laws should change for the adoptess who want to find their birth parents. It could be changed so that when a person is 18...they would have the opportunity to find their birth parents.
Forty years ago, if you were under 18, you had no choice...we did whatever our parents' wanted us to do. In less you have walked in our shoes, try not to be so unkind. My son had looked for me for more than 25 years and I him....the law stopped us..We were both consenting adults and the law had no right to stop us.
joan

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2007

Hi, there is search help for most states.
Also MUTUAL CONSENT REGISTRY.

WWW.ISRR.NET

print off the forms, and mail them in.

Plus if you are adopted and relinquished thru ny state, there is a state registry.
for more info
Plus there is emotional support on these groups.
Joan
joan

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2007

Judged:

TONI EPSTEIN wrote:
<quoted text>
Right On!!!!!!!
Please join us on
joan

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2007

Judged:

faust wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should the law change?
If you give a kid up fpr adoption you should have no part in their lives till they are at least 21, after that it should be the child's choice ONLY that decides if you ever meet.
Hi, it is the childs choice, or ooops, adults choice to sign up and be reunited.
Adoptees are no longer children at 18. They can fight and die for this country. But they can't get their own personal info.
Thousands are searching. Hundreds are searching for Medical reasons, so they won't die.
More parents are searching all the time, to find the child they relinquished. Adoptees are also searching by the thousands, all over this country.
There will be a Major Protest held in NEW ORLEANS, La. This coming Nov. 2008
Marching for OPen REcords.
Joan
joan

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2007

You might find this interesting too, its called :
MORE: stands for Mothers for OPEN Records EVErywhere.

http://www.geocities.com/moreopenrecords/page...
joan

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2007

faust wrote:
<quoted text>
The laws are easier and many of them want to give a child that might die before age 18 a chance at a better life.
Who are you to decide who they let into their homes?
You said it exactly " Who are you to decide who they let into their homes.?"
But you are judging who should be able to find each other.........
Joan
Toni

Hicksville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2007

Judged:

To Joan-
Your points were wonderful and much appreciated...I will look up the website you mentioned...
Thank you for your support.
A BIRTHMOM FROM 1967.......WHO WAS FINALLY REUNITED IN 2005.....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Melville Discussions

Search the Melville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 43 min Lumpy Churchhill 6,372
Island near Buffalo overrun by hundreds of cats 1 hr Lumpy Churchhill 1
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 6 hr mjak 1,568
Review: Normandy Garden Apartments (Sep '08) 8 hr Billy Jonesa 18
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 8 hr Bruser 2,263
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Wed Bruser 7,860
NY Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in N... (Oct '10) Tue Gravity Pete 670
•••
•••

Melville News Video

•••
•••

Melville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Melville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE