New dad denied leave from Kabul

Full story: Newsday

Army Spc. Juan Leon, 23, of Massapequa, is half a world away in Afghanistan fighting in a war, all the while thinking about the birth of his first child - and how he wasn't at his wife's side when it happened.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Oct 28, 2013
Vine

New Concord, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2008

Judged:

First off me being a soldier stationed in Afghanistan also feels that giving birth is not considered Emergency leave. Now granted if he has not had R&R yet he can take that and use it to go home and see his child. But just to go home and see a child born should not be waisted. The Red cross sends messages for any and everthing and not everyone gets to leave depending on certain situations. Bottom line if he have not used his R&R let him go home then spend the remainder of his time there but if he has already used his R&R tough luck!!! Suck it up and drive on. There's so many other Fathers whom have missed there kids born and grow he's NG he'll be home to see his child...... Theres other people whom dont have kids but miss there Neices and nephews every step because there always deployed
Melanie

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

Judged:

Pedro in the Kitchen wrote:
army cowards should be shot for desertion for thinking about it. He took the money, he enlisted, the taxpayers PAID for that little basstard being born.
WOW! The taxpayers money may have paid for the baby to be born but I don't see you over seas fighting for our country. Obviously its a job you don't want to do. No one would enlist if there wasn't an incentive.
Melanie

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2008

Judged:

Vine wrote:
First off me being a soldier stationed in Afghanistan also feels that giving birth is not considered Emergency leave. Now granted if he has not had R&R yet he can take that and use it to go home and see his child. But just to go home and see a child born should not be waisted. The Red cross sends messages for any and everthing and not everyone gets to leave depending on certain situations. Bottom line if he have not used his R&R let him go home then spend the remainder of his time there but if he has already used his R&R tough luck!!! Suck it up and drive on. There's so many other Fathers whom have missed there kids born and grow he's NG he'll be home to see his child...... Theres other people whom dont have kids but miss there Neices and nephews every step because there always deployed
Yeah there are so many other dads who have missed their child being born but its sad they are not always granted R&R for such an event. Since you are soldier, you know the shitty environment all the soldiers are in. I don't think its too much to ask to see the birth of their child. The birth of a child only happens once per child and I don't think it should be given the "suck it up" attitude. I am assuming your not a parent and thats why you have this attitude towards the birth of a child.
Vine

New Concord, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2008

hey
Vine

New Concord, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2008

Judged:

Melanie wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah there are so many other dads who have missed their child being born but its sad they are not always granted R&R for such an event. Since you are soldier, you know the **** environment all the soldiers are in. I don't think its too much to ask to see the birth of their child. The birth of a child only happens once per child and I don't think it should be given the "suck it up" attitude. I am assuming your not a parent and thats why you have this attitude towards the birth of a child.
Your Right I am not a parent but I bet your Peoberly a spouse at home doing nothing but reaping the bennefits of your husband. It wasnt a attitude he's a soldier 24/7 R&R is given once a deployment if you noticed i Said IF HE HAS NOT HAD HI R&R HE COULD'VE USED THAT TO GO HOME AND SEE HIS CHILD BORN. But if he's used it already too freaking bad because he knew his wife was prego and He could've set up his R&R around that time that she was supposed to go into labor. Thats what all of my soldiers do ur not going to go home on R&R have fun knowing that ur wife is prego then try to go home again to see a child get born thats BS. So before u try to talk about some one having an attitude about a child being born know what ur talking 1st.
Anthony J Stonecipher

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 4, 2008

Judged:

"Vine wrote:
First off me being a soldier stationed in Afghanistan also feels that giving birth is not considered Emergency leave. Now granted if he has not had R&R yet he can take that and use it to go home and see his child. But just to go home and see a child born should not be waisted. The Red cross sends messages for any and everthing and not everyone gets to leave depending on certain situations. Bottom line if he have not used his R&R let him go home then spend the remainder of his time there but if he has already used his R&R tough luck!!! Suck it up and drive on. There's so many other Fathers whom have missed there kids born and grow he's NG he'll be home to see his child...... Theres other people whom dont have kids but miss there Neices and nephews every step because there always deployed"

This is me. 24yr old OIF VET medicaly rietiered for injuries recieved. Once you have a kid you will understand. I think what is the real issue is this. If the man has avalible leave and it wont greatly impact the mission then he should get his leave.
sara

Fresno, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2008

Judged:

My husband is currently deployed he came home for R&R and we ended up getting pregnant with our second child.. it wasnt to get him on leave a second time its just something that happens sometimes, i have a heart condition that worsend with pregnancy and will be fixed after this baby is born. I sent a red cross emergency letter, a drs note contacted the frg leader the rear d commander and was told today by my husband that we were denied. i havnt even gotten a response from the frg (family readiness group) leader and the rear d commander has simply decided to not call me back again. They have now said that he most likely wont be able to come back for the baby being born either even though its a c-section. meanwhile other people are geting to go home for bs things like threatening to kill themselves while not meaning it or family situations. The chain of command picks and chooses who they want there is no real system here. To the guy that is so adiment about it not being a big deal to see your kid get born. you obviously dont have children and are being extremly harsh your obviously the other kind of military personel a complete ass that joined the military so that people would eventually have to follow your command you probably were picked on in highschool and now your on a power trip.... there are to many of you.
Matt

Kailua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2009

Judged:

You guys act surprised. Welcome to the United States Armed Forces. This really isn't a big deal. Oh well shouldn't have joined. I'm a Marine. I wasn't able to see my Grandfather on his deathbed because of a deployment. Where's my story? Nobody Cares!!! There are over 1 million people in the military and I can think of a few things that are more news worthy than this. Suck it up and don't re-enlist if you can't handle this. And don't join during a war and expect a commander who probably hasn't even met you to give a hoot when you want to go home.
That guy

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2009

Judged:

Hey, I was a logistics officer in OIF.
NOBODY GOES HOME WITHOUT A RED CROSS MESSAGE, STATING DEATH OF DEPENDENT, OR SPOUSE.
I cant tell you how many BS requests came over to try and get people to come home. This is WAR not some PC game, either get tough or stay home.
awww

West Islip, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2010

sounds like a normal story. when he comes back he can see it.
brian

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2010

I missed my daughters birth in 1972, and I was stationed at Ft. Hood, TX. my C.O. told me
: sorry but: that's an "EMOTION' and not an 'EMERGENCY'! Sucks: but that's army life.
Chris Kubiak

Kuwait, Kuwait

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2011

I totally disagree with many of you posters. I have served active duty 5 years then reserve 4 years and deployed for OIF as well. I am now back in the sandbox as a contractor. It should be someone's choice to see the birth of a child. We are losing too many military and civilian worker's to IED's to tell people to suck it up.
You who say it is an emotional issue or a weak kind, you suck it up while you are in your positions of power and your family life is miserable s and you regularly adulterate around on your wives and only are married on paper. Family is what makes our land free and have strong ideals. Family is our foundation and not career like you people who put military before your wives and children.
I can say this as my family has consistently been in the service ever since we came here as fleeing persecuted immigrants from Europe. We were being killed because we are from the Swiss Mennonite community. We have always did active and reserve time in the military to defend our homeland even during questionable conflicts. We always put family first and country second even as a religious group known for our peace efforts and non-violent beliefs.
The military is making many mistakes now as their selfishness and greed and war lust harm families in service and at home. A few people going home for a birth, especially if it is a C-Section or a dangerous pregnancy will not hurt the mission. Emergency leave denial is about popularity and send the guys we like or sending problem servicemembers away and keeping up a good image for the brass above, and that is all it is. It is also about ego and people making their soldiers under them distant from their families emotionally in their minds and being dedicated to being at the beck and call of their unit only. The military is destroying families and pushing up the divorce rate because they don't take good care of their people in the service or take care of then after they discharge; injured or not it's the same poor treatment. The old family oriented military is gone folks, even in the reserves...chris kubiak
Chris kubiak
shawn

Apo, AE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Wow i read this and this is fucked up. It showns that you dont have kids so i think yeah you might of been deployed but you dont know peoples mind set. All i have to say is they should be able to go home for their child. So i know how this guy feels i was in his shoes before. So i mean if anyone else like to say a few words cause ill tell you how i feel.
Vine wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Melville News Video

•••
Melville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Melville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••