No one outranks Sgt. Pepper

No one outranks Sgt. Pepper

There are 99 comments on the Newsday story from May 31, 2007, titled No one outranks Sgt. Pepper. In it, Newsday reports that:

Every few years, rock critics like myself are asked to mark the anniversary of the greatest album of all time, The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." This year, with that classic disc reaching ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Uncle Pepper

Brentwood, NY

#88 Jun 27, 2007
Chicago blows
ROTFLMAO

AOL

#89 Jun 27, 2007
mickeeteeze wrote:
<quoted text>Another effin jerky boy that thinks its all about technical musicianship. Retard. Tell you what, dopey, keep shredding those notes and don't lose your arrogance. It'll be all you will have left if you're "too talented" to "lower yourself" to writing music that other people connect with.
A whole threads worth of "Chicago" fan's bashing the "Beatles" as overrated. You people are a joke. By your logic, I'll dismiss Chicago completely because they're VASTLY INFERIOR (caps to annoy you) to "The Miles Davis Group".
So keep on shreddin', Elmo.
Wake us up when you have SOMETHING TO SAY. MUSICALLY.
If you can blow out more notes per second in a melodically correct finger exercise.....then don't waste any one's time. That go's for all instruments. If you have major technical ability, but are convinced of how much better you are than the average Joe, save yourself a lot of grief, and give lessons.
McCartney vs. Kath
Simply. Terry Kath was a sparkling musician, guitarist for the "original" Chicago line-up. While his style was "influenced" by Hendrix and others, he was individual enough to leave his own mark. A superior technician.
McCartney is fairly proficient on about 10 instruments. He writes somewhat simple(though not always) melodic songs that EVERYBODY WANTS TO HEAR. On ten instruments.
I doubt that very highly!

And if it's true that makes McCartney a jack of all trades and a master of none!

And Chi is still going strong after FORTY YEARS! so someone must be still listening! BOZO!

BEATLES SUCK COMPARED TO CHICAGO AND IF CHICAGO SUCKS COMPARED TO MILES DAVIS THEN THE BEATLES DON'T EVEN REGISTER!

And for the record Jimi stated that Terry was a BETTER guitarist than he was!

IDIOT!

I SPIT ON THE BEATLES!
Rutles 4 ever

Elmont, NY

#91 Jun 27, 2007
Beatles were good..........but for my money Dirk, Larry, Stig and Nasty will never be matched. I sat in the first row high on magic mushrooms throughout the whole "Tragical History Tour".

http://www.rutles.org/

“hello exerybody !”

Since: Feb 07

long island,ny

#92 Jun 30, 2007
ROTFLMAO wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt that very highly!
And if it's true that makes McCartney a jack of all trades and a master of none!
And Chi is still going strong after FORTY YEARS! so someone must be still listening! BOZO!
BEATLES SUCK COMPARED TO CHICAGO AND IF CHICAGO SUCKS COMPARED TO MILES DAVIS THEN THE BEATLES DON'T EVEN REGISTER!
And for the record Jimi stated that Terry was a BETTER guitarist than he was!
IDIOT!
I SPIT ON THE BEATLES!
He also preferred ZZ Tops guitarist to himself. Any way, keep shreddin' jerky boy. Glad your arrogance is in tact.
Like I said.........bye now.
Old Gil Hodges Play

Wayne, NJ

#93 Jul 7, 2007
mickeeteeze wrote:
<quoted text>He also preferred ZZ Tops guitarist to himself. Any way, keep shreddin' jerky boy. Glad your arrogance is in tact.
Like I said.........bye now.
Jimi NEVER said that!

And I'll bet you weren't even born when the Beatles were around.

TWERP!

“hello exerybody !”

long island,ny

#94 Jul 8, 2007
Old Gil Hodges Play wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimi NEVER said that!
TWERP!
Yep.
OK.
Right.
Chicago is the greatest band that ever lived.
You convinced me.
What is there......3 billion people on the planet?
Only 299,999,999,999,999 more to go......

“hello exerybody !”

long island,ny

#95 Jul 8, 2007
Old Gil Hodges Play wrote:
<quoted text>
Jimi NEVER said that!
TWERP!
Oh....by the way...you proved with your answer that you have no clue what you're talking about, troll....
So....I won't be watching your thread anymore.
You need the last word.
Philip

Hamilton, Canada

#96 Aug 16, 2007
Ming wrote:
The last chord of side two was designed to last forever ( but only if your turntable wasn't automatic). It was because it was recorded all the way out to the middle of the record and if your turntable was manual it would just keep resounding as the record went around and around. Try it if you have a turntable (disarm the automatic tonearm). Audio Psychedelia.
No it wasn't. The inner groove (from Rarities or Anthology) played on the mono version. You must have done the brown acid.
Musical Matt

AOL

#97 Oct 5, 2007
It would have been something to hear Elvis doing some of the Beatles more harding rocking songs
BBB

Woods Cross, UT

#98 Oct 5, 2007
larry love wrote:
sorry beatles freaks but there are much better albums than pepper whos next, are you experienced? london calling,and the best rock album of all time exile on main street by the greatest band ever the rolling stones
talk about innovative the stones do country,soul funk gospel and of course blistering killer rock riffs that the beatles could only dream of
Hey, Larry, I have an interesting Beatles / Stones story that I think you will enjoy:

----------

In the summer of 1968 the Stones were having a release party for their latest single "Street Fighting Man". Mick, Keith, and Bill Wyman were all in attendance. There was plenty of music being dee-jayed, and of course a party full of "hip, swinging people" as they used to say.(Unfortunately the name of the Club they were at escapes me at the moment)...
Anyway in walks Paul McCartney and John Lennon, whom Keith Richards had invited to the release party. They got noticed by the partygoers, in part because, yeah, they were Beatles, but also because at that particular point in time the gossip columns were full of stories about the Beatles being "washed up" or "breaking up"; since the last album they put out was almost a year old, and they had since gone to India with the Maharishi, but Paul & Ringo left India while John & George stayed, so on so forth. Alot of rumors that the Beatles were finished as a group and had "nothing left in the tank"...

Now Paul happens to have with him a demo copy of the Beatles not-yet released newest single on their new "Apple" label. John asks Mick if they want to play it. John says "I think you'll really dig the guitars on the B-side"... Mick & Keith are like "Ok, yeah - let's check out the 'competition'..." and they give it to the dj to play next. Mick takes the dj mike and announces to the club full of guests "Hey, here's the latest thing from the Beatles... a single called 'Hey Judy'(he read the title wrong)... let's see what these lads have been up to, shall we?"

After the dj finishes playing the single's 2 songs, "Hey Jude" & "Revolution", the entire club is dead silent... everyone knows the Stones have been bested. Keith turns to McCartney and says " F-ing Christ... do you have to show us up EVERY time ?"

True Story.
ClickerTwitcher

United States

#100 Oct 5, 2007
John C wrote:
Sorry I have to agree. I never got the Beatles. I respect them for what they did for music but being 35 they were long gone by the time I started listening to music. For my money I'd listen to Iron Maiden any day of the week, but a better mellow English band is Pink Floyd. Dark Side blows away anything the Beatles ever did.
Yeah, but "Dark Side of the Moon" (and everything else like it) wouldn't have even been possible without The Beatles laying the groundwork (artistically, creatively, socially, culturally).... and the guys from Floyd will tell you that!
And of course The Beatles credit Little Richard, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins et. al. for influencing them... and so on.. and so on... and so on...
ClickerTwitcher

United States

#101 Oct 5, 2007
Beatles... Pink Floyd... Iron Maiden.... Rolling Stones... Zappa... whatever...

Apples & oranges.
Leo

United States

#102 Oct 5, 2007
Are you kidding me?
Apples are way better than oranges - even with a worm!
ClickerTwitcher

United States

#103 Oct 5, 2007
No way man... oranges blow away apples any day of the week and twice on Sundays!

Since: Sep 07

Florida

#104 Oct 5, 2007
I believe "Dr. Pepper" would outrank Sergeant Pepper.
wukong

Denver, CO

#105 Oct 12, 2007
never liked the beatles wrote:
it's amazing how timing is everything- get a group that sing like cows to strum a guitar at the right time in history. At least Elvis had a voice.
don't bother with the hateful responses- you won't change my mind
no hate here.....the beatles loved and respected elvis. but elvis became a caricature of himself in his later years. that was really hard to watch. some might say the same with Paul McCartney....i had a moment of sadness when i first heard his song "freedom". it's a war song....a fighting song.....which is fine. but it came from the same guy that wrote "pipes of peace"?!?!? say it ain't so, paul!

the beatles would NEVER have been what they were with out the influence of elvis and many, many other incredible groups that came before. the same can be said of many artists that were influenced by the beatles. music has been a constant progression. the beatles contributed so much to how people thought about making music.

and in the beatles defense....they played their own instruments, they sang and wrote their own songs, and they started their own record company.

then the "boys" grew up.......but that will never diminish what they WERE and where they came from. and i thank them for letting me come along for the ride......and having the albums to remind me of that trip.

DAMN IT!!! i think i tipped my hand....i AM a very big beatle fan.
wukong

Denver, CO

#106 Oct 12, 2007
Inkyfinger wrote:
I believe "Dr. Pepper" would outrank Sergeant Pepper.
no. he's just able to avoid physical combat....granted, so are most of the "OFFICERS"!
SkyKing

Jersey City, NJ

#107 Jul 12, 2009
Elvis was the single most significant person in pop culture.....he created the youth market

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#108 Jul 15, 2009
Has anyone seen "Across the Universe". This is a Beatles inspired musical. I might be young but I love Beatles music.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Randazzo Construction (Jan '11) 3 hr Eglide 3
New York City Correction Officers Vs. Police Of... (Sep '07) Apr 24 Van Buren St Guy 118
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Apr 24 Bianca mangiaracina 57
do anybody know the fortunato's (Mar '09) Apr 21 Jackass 48
Sammy's Inferno, Gardiner's Ave. off Hempstead ... (Sep '11) Apr 21 Elisabeth Vescovi 6
Drug Selling Mortorcycle rider(s) Apr 19 Kar-101 1
Missing montauk Apr 19 Jesssostac 2

Melville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Melville Mortgages