In gas crunch, some LI bosses shorten...

In gas crunch, some LI bosses shortening workweek

There are 33 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 29, 2008, titled In gas crunch, some LI bosses shortening workweek. In it, Newsday reports that:

Some employers are trying to help their employees cope with high gas prices by resorting to cutbacks -- to the workweek.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mike

Sunnyvale, CA

#24 Jul 30, 2008
This is bad for business. Why? In most jobs I can think of, people burn out after 6 or 7 hours. They need to go home, recharge and come back the next day. If people work ten hour days, companies will need to pay everyone for 3 hours of zombie time each day.

With that expense year round, you shouldn't be surprised when the company needs to start cutting. Then the workers will save 5 days worth of gas because they will be unemployed.
Say the Truth

Philadelphia, PA

#25 Jul 30, 2008
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!
I know the feeling. I was once working crazy hours and was so busy and caught-up I actually woke up and drove to the office in much lighter than usual traffic, only to find no one else was there. It was Saturday.
The Short Answer

Shoreham, NY

#26 Jul 30, 2008
Bill1154 wrote:
I'd love a four day work week. What I'd love more is for our politicians to get off their duffs and find out why oil is down $25 a barrel in less than a month but the price hasn't shot down like it shot up. It was going up daily at one point. But no, the station owner aren't making any money and our politicians aren't on the take.
You would be told by the "experts" that the gas in the pipeline, the gas you buy today, was refined from oil that cost much more than the current price of oil. If oil remains low for the next one or two months, though, the retail gas prices should drop. And, if they don't, then we're talking about gouging. But, Big Oil is too smart to do that. But don't expect it to market gas now at margins reflecting today's crude prices.
Brentwood

Bayport, NY

#27 Jul 30, 2008
Yeah, I am trying to personally get this done at my workplace...some off on a monday....others off on friday...this way people can get their MD appts and take care of their kids stuff....I like like this idea all around....less gas used....more family time.....it would make for happier people.....
easy living in nc

Goldsboro, NC

#28 Jul 30, 2008
Yeah I can see 1 of those bone head car dealerships on LI doing this with his employees.Keep dreaming,hey so whats my hours.oh there on the door
lee

Bronx, NY

#29 Jul 30, 2008
Brentwood wrote:
Yeah, I am trying to personally get this done at my workplace...some off on a monday....others off on friday...this way people can get their MD appts and take care of their kids stuff....I like like this idea all around....less gas used....more family time.....it would make for happier people.....
good for people, bad for business...
Punchclock

New Hyde Park, NY

#31 Jul 30, 2008
Its gonna take awhile wrote:
<quoted text>
How are you working more hours? A four day 10 hour work week and a 5 day 8 hour work week, both add up to 40 hours. And if it's the same amount of hours, then t's the same amount of production, therefore your career should not be effected what so ever. Not really sure why you think otherwise.
On top of that, as in this article, I'm sure owners of businesses would be pleased that they could save money on utilities as well, so I think your reasoning is wrong.
If you punch a time clock and are just a working Joe this is true, but if you work in an office environment and are an "exempt" employee you gotta bet that you'll get called on your off day.
Southbound

Kansas City, MO

#32 Jul 30, 2008
I'd spend the extra day off in the summer on the boat, using ten times as much fuel as I would have if I had been working. In the winter, this might allow for more long drives to New England to ski.... more fuel again. There is no way that my fuel usage goes down with an extra day off. Let's all be honest instead of trying to get the additional day off.
Well

Fairfield, CT

#33 Jul 30, 2008
What about those of us who are already working 50-55 hours a week normally? Do I now work 12-14 hour days and no fridays? I need a new company.
GOVTCLUELESS

United States

#35 Jul 30, 2008
I work only four days a week. I don't use my credit card much anymore. I don't drive my car on my day's off. I don't use my air conditioner much . I don't go to sporting event's, concert's or Walmart. A lot has changed. I'm much more relaxed now.
Worthless Pols

Brooklyn, NY

#36 Jul 30, 2008
Bill1154 wrote:
I'd love a four day work week. What I'd love more is for our politicians to get off their duffs and find out why oil is down $25 a barrel in less than a month but the price hasn't shot down like it shot up. It was going up daily at one point. But no, the station owner aren't making any money and our politicians aren't on the take.
It's an election year and it's early.

The serfs are just gonna have to tough it out 'til around September/October when these worthless politicians start to dance for you.

Since: Jun 07

Copiague, NY

#37 Jul 31, 2008
The Short Answer wrote:
<quoted text>
You would be told by the "experts" that the gas in the pipeline, the gas you buy today, was refined from oil that cost much more than the current price of oil. If oil remains low for the next one or two months, though, the retail gas prices should drop. And, if they don't, then we're talking about gouging. But, Big Oil is too smart to do that. But don't expect it to market gas now at margins reflecting today's crude prices.
Thank you - exactly my point. Amazing how fast it comes through the pipeline when prices are up.
Jackie in NYC

Manchester, CT

#38 Jul 31, 2008
MCR wrote:
You fat, lazy slobs would spend more on your credit cards sinking further into debt, and drive your cars more often on your additional off-day burning more gas, and crank up your A/C during the day to keep the stank of your pimply crotches...
4 day workweek would cost more energy and cash overall - because you are all too stupid to not waste and to conserve
Nonetheless, you pigs deserve an additional day of leisure - I agree
I get the feeling you are describing YOURSELF!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cancers around Cerro Wire (Feb '08) Mon Cheryl Slippy 12
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Mon Bruser 2,623
Unmedicated Schizophrenics Around Merrick Road?? Sun Publius 3
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Sun Bruser 8,263
If you haven't heard about this, it is because ... (Jun '08) May 25 LindyGrad2001 2
Who Exactly Should Be Allowed To Live In Linden... May 25 LindyGrad2001 1
Review: Goccia D'Oro Restaurant (Oct '09) May 25 LindyGrad2001 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Melville Mortgages