In gas crunch, some LI bosses shorten...

In gas crunch, some LI bosses shortening workweek

There are 33 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 29, 2008, titled In gas crunch, some LI bosses shortening workweek. In it, Newsday reports that:

Some employers are trying to help their employees cope with high gas prices by resorting to cutbacks -- to the workweek.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Danny

London, UK

#1 Jul 30, 2008
I'd be totally up for working a 4 day work week. Regardless of the savings from commuting...I'd be more interested in the fact that you get 3 days off every weekend.
I could deal with working an extra 2 hours each day for an extra day off.
poconoweeze

Kunkletown, PA

#3 Jul 30, 2008
Hey, I did this in the mid 80's. My dad was ill and I needed Friday to help with his care.Why is this news???? A bunch of college education and no common sense. Duh????????
Todd Schuster

New York, NY

#4 Jul 30, 2008
I have no problem with a four day work week. Not only would it save gas, it would give people an extra day to do errands, pay bills, do their appointments, etc. Of course not all places can do 4 day work weeks so it would depend on what kind of business it is. I have friends who work for IBM. Their schedule is like this. One week it's Mon-Tues off Wed-Thurs work Fri-Sun. The next week off Mon-Tues, work Wed-Thurs off Fri-Sun. All work days are 12 hours each. On the Fri-Sun work times those 12 hour days can be rough, but it's nice to have every other weekend a 3 dayer. Problem is when you have commitments on the weekends you;re scheduled to work. of course, if you have vacation time, that could work out. Maybe if the gas prices continue to decrease, maybe it won't be so bad. Of course it only takes unrest overseas or a major hurricane to make the price of a barrel of oil skyrocket to 150.00 again. We shall see.
liner

Bronx, NY

#5 Jul 30, 2008
Todd Schuster wrote:
I have no problem with a four day work week. Not only would it save gas, it would give people an extra day to do errands, pay bills, do their appointments, etc. Of course not all places can do 4 day work weeks so it would depend on what kind of business it is. I have friends who work for IBM. Their schedule is like this. One week it's Mon-Tues off Wed-Thurs work Fri-Sun. The next week off Mon-Tues, work Wed-Thurs off Fri-Sun. All work days are 12 hours each. On the Fri-Sun work times those 12 hour days can be rough, but it's nice to have every other weekend a 3 dayer. Problem is when you have commitments on the weekends you;re scheduled to work. of course, if you have vacation time, that could work out. Maybe if the gas prices continue to decrease, maybe it won't be so bad. Of course it only takes unrest overseas or a major hurricane to make the price of a barrel of oil skyrocket to 150.00 again. We shall see.
I was offered a job with a schedule like that. I told them they've got to be kidding. How the hell would you even know what day it was?

Since: Jun 07

Copiague, NY

#6 Jul 30, 2008
I'd love a four day work week. What I'd love more is for our politicians to get off their duffs and find out why oil is down $25 a barrel in less than a month but the price hasn't shot down like it shot up. It was going up daily at one point. But no, the station owner aren't making any money and our politicians aren't on the take.
Jay

Huntington, NY

#7 Jul 30, 2008
Bill1154 wrote:
I'd love a four day work week. What I'd love more is for our politicians to get off their duffs and find out why oil is down $25 a barrel in less than a month but the price hasn't shot down like it shot up. It was going up daily at one point. But no, the station owner aren't making any money and our politicians aren't on the take.
It's called Big Oil Profit!
Great

Larchmont, NY

#8 Jul 30, 2008
I love this idea, my last job that I had 5 years ago use to do this every summer, it was great, now they are going to extend it to all year. I wish the job I have now would think of doing this, I would love it.
Already Taxed Out

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#10 Jul 30, 2008
Its easy to do, and it works

you can even have your business open for the 5 day but have people working 4 days...it goes like this

one group works m-th
other group works tue-fri
meaning all days are still covered but everyone works only 4 days eliminating 1 commuting day
Mike

Sunnyvale, CA

#11 Jul 30, 2008
If your company gives you the choice to work 4 days instead of 5, be careful -- it could make you look lazy to the boss, and keep you from getting raises or promotions. And you can bet the people in the office will be calling you on your "day off".

You'll end up putting in more hours and holding back your career at the same time.
Idiots

Brentwood, NY

#12 Jul 30, 2008
Mike is right on. This is PR at its best. You work 10 hour days and are asked to stay late for a project. You are salaried. Okay, come in on Friday to get it done, etc. We tried for this and was told it cannot be done unless the whole company does it. So, you're a boss, go suggest it!
Blue Devil

Malden, MA

#13 Jul 30, 2008
Bill1154 wrote:
Because if the price of gas fell, people would just start using more of it again and the price of oil would shoot right back up.
LIRR754

Weehawken, NJ

#14 Jul 30, 2008
poconoweeze wrote:
Hey, I did this in the mid 80's. My dad was ill and I needed Friday to help with his care.Why is this news???? A bunch of college education and no common sense. Duh????????
shush. dont read it if you dont like it.
catinhat

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Jul 30, 2008
I've been telecommuting 2 days a week for years, as have some of my co-workers. But we're lucky -- our job is such that we don't need to physically be in the office most of the time. And the people who are in the office 5 days a week live much closer in.

And to the posters who thought that having an extra day to run errands wouldn't save gas: maybe, maybe not. If you had extra time, you might be able to "bundle" errands, thus saving gas. But it is true that the nature of errands is such that you're going to have to do them anyway.
Its gonna take awhile

Rineyville, KY

#17 Jul 30, 2008
Mike wrote:
If your company gives you the choice to work 4 days instead of 5, be careful -- it could make you look lazy to the boss, and keep you from getting raises or promotions. And you can bet the people in the office will be calling you on your "day off".
You'll end up putting in more hours and holding back your career at the same time.
How are you working more hours? A four day 10 hour work week and a 5 day 8 hour work week, both add up to 40 hours. And if it's the same amount of hours, then t's the same amount of production, therefore your career should not be effected what so ever. Not really sure why you think otherwise.
On top of that, as in this article, I'm sure owners of businesses would be pleased that they could save money on utilities as well, so I think your reasoning is wrong.

Since: Jun 07

Copiague, NY

#18 Jul 30, 2008
Blue Devil wrote:
<quoted text>
Because if the price of gas fell, people would just start using more of it again and the price of oil would shoot right back up.
You're probably right but that doesn't answer the question.
Say the Truth

Philadelphia, PA

#19 Jul 30, 2008
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
I was offered a job with a schedule like that. I told them they've got to be kidding. How the hell would you even know what day it was?
You could have written it on your hand, or used color-coded underwear.

Doh!
the inquirer

Hempstead, NY

#20 Jul 30, 2008
Personally, I would love to work 4 days/10 hours a day and have three days off. Not only would this save me 60 miles a week of commuting, but three day weekends are much more enjoyable and/or productive. Sounds like peoples' mental health may get a boost from this as well.

My question is, how are companies adjusting for things like sick and personal days?
logic

Greenlawn, NY

#21 Jul 30, 2008
J Dolan wrote:
<quoted text>
Make up your mind. Is it good or not. You contradickted yourself several times. When you run errands and do appointments how are getting there. Flying? So how is that saving gas. Now you would have 3 days of driving around instead of 2. Real savings there.
probably runs errands on Friday when there are less people on the road so less traffic so use less gas and then does not have to run the errands on the weekends with everyone else.
liner

Bronx, NY

#22 Jul 30, 2008
Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You could have written it on your hand, or used color-coded underwear.
Doh!
LOL!!
Jay

United States

#23 Jul 30, 2008
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, try working a graveyard shift with rotating days off. Then you don't even know what month you're in...

The idea has merit for saving a little gas, but some companies may make you work 10 hour days or at least the minimum number of hours needed if you are full time. I wouldn't mind 8a - 6p, but some people may have issues with this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 41 undocumented immigrants arrested in NY amid ... 4 hr Geezer 5
News Islip Town board member eyes Assembly run 11 hr steve 1
News Islip awards contract to refill parts of Robert... 12 hr Jack Mehoff 33
News Imagination, motivation helps interns gain edge - (Dec '08) Sat Trustco 25
New York City Correction Officers Vs. Police Of... (Sep '07) Feb 16 Drock 116
Cops to Inspect Homes Without Notice For Illega... (Apr '14) Feb 14 Jake Anderson 9
Local Politics Do you approve of Thomas A. Brennan as Mayor? (Feb '16) Feb 13 LOCAL RESIDENT 2

Melville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Melville Mortgages