Prosecutors say Mark Barber, a Nassau...

Prosecutors say Mark Barber, a Nassau County Correction

There are 38 comments on the Newsday.com story from Aug 31, 2010, titled Prosecutors say Mark Barber, a Nassau County Correction. In it, Newsday.com reports that:

A Nassau County corrections officer who prosecutors say raped and sexually assaulted at least seven female inmates pleaded not guilty Tuesday morning to a slew of new charges.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
karma

Missouri City, TX

#22 Aug 26, 2012
karma
Witness -Uniondale

Richmond Hill, NY

#23 Aug 27, 2012
karma wrote:
karma
True Karma: Mark Barber's negative actions have come back to him. Unfortunately it has hurt his family in the process and the family can either accept the truth and move on. Or continue to spread venom on the innocent people trying to have an honest voice. That venom will only sting them back in the end as people perceive them as uncaring and having no remorse for those his father has injurred in the process. His family is not the only victims here. The victims of his crimes and their families have to endure as well.
Truth

Kings Park, NY

#24 Sep 7, 2012
“Mark Barber is a sexual predator who used his jailhouse power to exploit the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of the very women he was paid to help,” Rice said.“Today’s verdict ensures that this defendant will be behind the cell doors he once was trusted to guard, and that’s exactly where he belongs.”

This is from the Levittown patch and I completely agree
Truth

Kings Park, NY

#25 Sep 7, 2012
T- Barber wrote:
You make me sick girl I know Mark very well let me huess he showed u a little compassion in your home away from home...he never assaulted you u fuckin criminal the real crime is that you girls would ruin someones life for a big payday...oh thats right they don't print how much u useless golddiggers are looking to make if hes found guilty...How do u sleep at night??? Karmas a bitch<quoted text>
You only know the side of him that he shows you he obviously had two completely different lives and I'm guessing your a family member just think about how you would feel if you were the one that got taken advantage of and was forced to do sexual things with a pervert you need to accept the truth and move on because it is obvious he is guilty of his crimes and you'll drive yourself crazy with denial he touched/raped/kissed/ harassed female inmates?! And if it wasn't true then how come there are so many victims? I don't know if he had a wife or girl friend but if he did then why would he do this to her? It's disgusting! He's disgusting!

“Not gonna lie..kinda confused!”

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#26 Sep 9, 2012
The whole family is weird!
Grow Up

Clifton, NJ

#27 Sep 9, 2012
How about everyone just shuts the hell up about it already!? Hasn't his family gone through enough? I know the entire family personally and they are not weird. It's you assholes who are making it worse for them! It's not their fault that you stupid asses believe a bunch of crackheads. Grow up and shut up!
Melanie

Great Neck, NY

#28 Sep 10, 2012
Have the girls he abused gone thru enough???? actions and consequences......no we can NOT forget his actions.
Grow Up

Clifton, NJ

#29 Sep 10, 2012
Melanie wrote:
Have the girls he abused gone thru enough???? actions and consequences......no we can NOT forget his actions.
Listen here "Melanie" I wouldn't be surprised if you were one of the drug addict prostitutes! You guys would do and say anything for money. You guys just couldn't stop going in and out of jail your while lives do it doesn't surprise me you girls. Ant get jobs. So let's just ruin a man's life for a big pay day. You guys are pathetic and I actually feel sorry for all of you!!!!!!
Melanie

Hempstead, NY

#30 Sep 11, 2012
He is no different than the girls that are involved...he broke the law. He got caught bro....recognize already. Now he's gonna be mistreated like he mistreated others.
Ltown fd

United States

#32 Oct 17, 2012
He's a creep,
They should give him the chair!
Why Would you think this is a conspiracy?
The Sheriffs department made it up and weren't watching him? Where did the da get the evidence?
Truth

New York, NY

#33 Oct 25, 2012
WhoresRus wrote:
Im going to be blunt here and for some reason "witness" I think you are full of shit!! I don't believe a thing you say. Were you at the trial? Did you actually see these people on the stand? Because I didn't. I know of ex corrections officers that testified but not current. So if you don't know what you are talking about don't open your stupid fucking mouth you dumb bitch!!
I don't know why you would think that this man is innocent at all I think you should wake up and realize that either way he had sex with inmates and that is disgusting he deserves everything that happens to him he is a disgusting human being and I'm not a victim and I don't think the victims are to blame they were raped and scared he used his authority to scare these girls it's disgusting to me and I wish NY still had the death sentence bc he deserves it
Grow up

Clifton, NJ

#34 Oct 25, 2012
Hahahahahahahaha to people are PATHETIC!!!!
Innocent

Mount Vernon, NY

#35 Oct 25, 2012
The alleged "victims" aren't victims at all actually. They are pathetic prostitutes that will do anything for money, or drugs for that matter!! The only disgusting thing about mark is the fact he had to affiliate himself with the dirty skanks who are accusing him of all these untrue accusations! He is one of the best men I know! And yes I know him and am proud to say it to anyone!!! As far as him needing the chair... Dude are you serious??? It was an absolute conspiracy, the prostitutes are doing it for the money!!!! If he was such a bad terrible person like you people are saying then why are they allowing him out of jail in 3 years on good behavior?? Yeh that sounds like a real bad person to me! So get over yourselves, keep his name and the family's name out of your dirty mouths, and get a life.... Thanks :)
Murphy25

Farmingville, NY

#36 Oct 26, 2012
One of the victims that made a statement at the sentencing was my girlfriend. I went with her yesterday to give her
support. This was a really sad situation for all parties present. Not just for
all the young ladies that were victims, but for Mark Barbers family as well, especially his daughters and his wife. My heart goes out to them, because they were put through all this misery and they did nothing wrong. Sadly, sending Mark to prison in my opinion does't fix or change what happened in Nassau County Jail between 2007-2010.
My Girlfreind has been clean and sober for past twenty for months, and this
whole trial has caused her to lose 20 pounds, not eat and not sleep, her hair started falling out due to the terrible stress
of the month long trial. In fact she was almost given six months in jail for refusing to answer a couple of questions while i was there in the court room, only due to the graphic nature of the questions.
Barber's attorney, Mr. Gallison; was abusive and down right humiliating during 12 and half hours he crossed examined my girlfriend. "Judge St. George reprimanded him 4 times during the trail, twice while I was there personally. Gallison rolled my girlfriends rap sheet like a long scroll across the floor to make a show in front of the jury.
He asked questions back to her 8th grade school year to destroy her credibility.
To close; My girlfriend has worked extremely hard at putting this part of her life behind her. And this whole trial has forced her to relive this whole ordeal all over again. Honest to God, is was terrible.
And remember, she did not turn Mark in, she was afraid to even consider doing such a thing, even when released. This whole thing happened because of the way Mark stalked her around the jail pulling her out of her cell at night, secret meetings, private work details. He was even caught red handed routinely moving surveillance cameras mounted in the jail, and he had her out of her cell after "night count"; which is a huge no no! ask any CO. In fact other CO's actually complained to Internal Affairs about his unusual behavior with her. Numerous CO's testified against him at the trial, that in itself is an oddity. Because of all this, 2 years after the incidents at the jail the D.A.'s office came banging on my girlfriends door and was going to Subpoena her to court for an indictment, regardless of weather she wanted to answer questions.
Finally
I hope all the girls are able to pick up the pieces and move on with their lives. And I sincerely hope Mark is able to find it within himself to know that he did wrong, how much wrong and what he did, I will never know for sure. However, I am right now willing to bet my life that he definitely violated the law in some regard. And there was truth in some these charges. I say that because I cant speak for what happened to the other young ladies involved.

PS: I know Mark was a volunteer firefighter, and according to many a decent man, farther, friend and co-worker. But even good people break the law. As I stated above I Will put my LIFE on the line that he broke the law!! In fact
I personally I have seen the evidence. But its over and done, And all should try to do their best and move forward with their lives.
God Bless to all!!
"Treat others as you wish to be treated"
Murphy25

Farmingville, NY

#37 Oct 26, 2012
One of the victims that made a statement at the sentencing was my girlfriend. I went with her yesterday to give her
support. This was a really sad situation for all parties present. Not just for
all the young ladies that were victims, but for Mark Barbers family as well, especially his daughters and his wife. My heart goes out to them, because they were put through all this misery and they did nothing wrong. Sadly, sending Mark to prison in my opinion does't fix or change what happened in Nassau County Jail between 2007-2010.
My Girlfreind has been clean and sober for past twenty for months and this
whole trial has caused her to lose 20 pounds, not eat and not sleep, her hair started falling due to the terrible stress
of the month long trial. In fact she was almost given six months in jail for refusing to answer a couple of questions while i was there in the court room, only due to the graphic nature of the questions.
Barber's attorney, Mr. Gallison; was abusive and down right humiliating during 12 and half hours he crossed examined my girlfriend. "Judge St. George reprimanded him 4 times during the trail while I was there personally Gallison rolled my girlfriends rap sheet like a long scroll across the floor to make a show in front of the jury.
He asked questions back to her 8th grade school year to destroy her credibility.
To close; My girlfriend has worked extremely hard at putting this part of her life behind her. And this whole trial has forced her to relive this whole ordeal all over again. Honest to God, is was terrible.
And remember, she did not turn Mark in, she was afraid to even consider doing such a thing, even when released. This whole thing happened ecause of the way Mark stalked her around the jail pulling her out of her cell at night, secret meetings private work details. He was even caught red handed routinely moving surveillance cameras mounted in the jail, and he had her out of her cell after "night count"; which is a huge no no! ask any CO. In fact other CO's actually complained to Internal Affairs about his unusual behavior with her. Numerous CO's testified against him at the trial, that in itself is an oddity. Because of this 2 years after the incidents at the jail the D.A.'s office came banging on my girlfriends door and was going to Subpoena her to court for an indictment regardless of weather she wanted to answer questions.
Finally
I hope all the girls are able to pick up the pieces and move on with their lives. And I sincerely hope Mark is able to find it within himself to know that he did wrong, how much wrong and what he did, I will never know for sure. However, I am right now willing to bet my life that he definitely violated the law and there was truth in some these charges. I say that because I cant speak for what happened to the other young ladies involved.

PS: I know Mark was a volunteer firefighter and according to some, a decent man, farther, friend and co-worker. But life has shown us that even decent people do break the law. And they can be sexual deviants. It has been seen in the church to many times, and I am a practicing catholic. I do not believe that 5 years in prison is going to fix anything. Whats done is done, and I hope all can move forward with their lives.
God Bless to all!!
*"Treat others as you wish to be treated"
Sir Charles

Babylon, NY

#38 Mar 17, 2015
Pat wrote:
Jessica, you need to keep your nose out of other peoples business. You say Megan, is a little ood and then ou say you do not know her. I know her and she is not odd or wierd. Mark Barber, is a very good father and grandfather. I can not believe he could be guilty of this crime. Jessica, quit accepting friend requests from people and talking about people you do not know. Shut your mouth when it comes to Megan.She above all would know if her father was a pervert, which he is not.
mark is wierdo. The other officers secretly among themselves don't like him very much. There was a rumor that he was master bathing in the bathroom with door ajar and several officers on several occasions saw him doing some weird things. The women he victimized had the courage to stand up to the abuse and although futile did cause him some discomfort for his sexual attacks.
Blue Warrior

Brooklyn, NY

#39 Apr 18, 2016
Being in law enforcement and the same town as Convict Barber, and actually having the unfortunate fate of meeting this condescending prick, I was not shocked at ANY of the allegations or charges against him. Does anyone know if Sex Offender Barber is out yet? I hope not. He should have gotten over 10 years for what he did.
Hehasnoclue

Bronx, NY

#40 Oct 19, 2016
Nassau CO wrote:
It's been proven time and time again the Nassau Correction Officers are a bunch of Yahoo-Cowboys with no supervision. They had the Nassau County fight Club years ago. The Inmates would punch a CO and get special favors; THEN the CO would take off the summer PAID in FULL some worked off the books for extra cash.
Dope

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 8 hr bruser is sincere 8,463
Noise in Bethpage 10 hr cheeets 1
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 10 hr Bruser 2,709
Review: 240 Auto Body Inc (Jan '11) Dec 3 John 25
News Standoff ends peacefully in Huntington (May '08) Dec 1 Larry Joe 86
US Hells angels war on American women and child... (Feb '10) Nov 30 GodofUSAHellsangels 305
News Hit-and-run victim dies - (Nov '07) Nov 18 Mommaslovenevrdies 16

Melville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Melville Mortgages