Relatives plead for slumlord crackdown

Full story: Newsday

The father of a 4-year-old girl who died, along with her mother, of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning inside a condemned multi-family home last week in West Babylon called for a new state law Tuesday that ...
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Nov 17, 2012
gee louise

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Nov 27, 2007
 
quote....""The family," Raphaelson said, "is grieving over the senseless death of Ricardo, a tragedy that occurred because a town allowed a landlord to disrespect the people and laws of the town ... Ricardo Pearce only wanted to stay warm ... He used a generator provided to him by his landlord."

talk about twisting the truth.
1. the town didn't allow IT
2. landlord disrespected the people and laws of the town = spoken like a true lawyer, not a latino like he was
3. why didn't the family welcome ricardo to live with them??? they all seem to be greiving over his death now??? can you say MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.

they should be ashamed of themselves, greedy people and the lawyers too,.
ricardo lived in a illegal apartment and HE knew it. how many people would live in an apartment without electricity and heat, and pay the landlord???? these tenants lived there because they had no where else to go and now their families are crying about the loss and what wonderful people they were, GIVE ME A BREAK
Brandy

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Nov 27, 2007
 
Amazing. The 'families' already have lawyers, and yet where were they when their members, especially the children, were known to live in an illegal, unheated, no-electricity apartment?
Ashamed

Long Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Nov 27, 2007
 
None of you knew Ricky. He was not the kind of person who would accept help from ANYONE. Family and friends all opened their homes to him. He refused to accept these offers because he was a man and wanted to provide for his family. Before you go making assumptions, find out the truth, which you never will if you continue to listen to the media. Who is going to take care of his 9-year old daughter, who will never see her father again? I could go further, but I won't bother. I say sue the town, and the slumlord for everything! Money talks...this is going to make a huge statement to all greedy town officials and slumlords.
Dr Gregg in Denver

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Nov 27, 2007
 
Let's not forget the of the people that actually choose to live in those places. They hold some responsibility also.
Dr Gregg in Denver

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Nov 27, 2007
 

Judged:

1

1

Ashamed wrote:
None of you knew Ricky. He was not the kind of person who would accept help from ANYONE. Family and friends all opened their homes to him. He refused to accept these offers because he was a man and wanted to provide for his family. Before you go making assumptions, find out the truth, which you never will if you continue to listen to the media. Who is going to take care of his 9-year old daughter, who will never see her father again? I could go further, but I won't bother. I say sue the town, and the slumlord for everything! Money talks...this is going to make a huge statement to all greedy town officials and slumlords.
Then guess what? Rickie has some responsibility in his death also. He chose not to get help from people, and he chose to live in such a place. And the landlord is responsible. How is it the towns fault? THey condemned the place. THey can't be everywhere to make sure everyone doesn't break the rules. BUt hey, they are the ones with the money and basically this family is going to try and screw all the hard working taxpayers, because its tax money that is goign to have to pay for this
tmoney

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Nov 27, 2007
 
gee louise wrote:
quote....""The family," Raphaelson said, "is grieving over the senseless death of Ricardo, a tragedy that occurred because a town allowed a landlord to disrespect the people and laws of the town ... Ricardo Pearce only wanted to stay warm ... He used a generator provided to him by his landlord."
talk about twisting the truth.
1. the town didn't allow IT
2. landlord disrespected the people and laws of the town = spoken like a true lawyer, not a latino like he was
3. why didn't the family welcome ricardo to live with them??? they all seem to be greiving over his death now??? can you say MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.
they should be ashamed of themselves, greedy people and the lawyers too,.
ricardo lived in a illegal apartment and HE knew it. how many people would live in an apartment without electricity and heat, and pay the landlord???? these tenants lived there because they had no where else to go and now their families are crying about the loss and what wonderful people they were, GIVE ME A BREAK
what the hell are you talking about?
you answered your own question..."these tenants lived there because they had no where else to go" this was not the first problem with this landlord.... and yes, THE STATE DID AND STILL DO ALLOW THIS PERSON TO DO WHAT HE IS DOING, DO THIS DAY THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE LIVING IN THIS MANS APARTMENTS. You would think they would close it down after somebody dies, but i guess that's just wishful thinking on my part......at least SOMEBODY IS THINKING.
Ashamed

Long Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Nov 27, 2007
 
Also, to the first replier, Ricky wasn't some illegal alien who hopped over the Mexican border to live on LI. He was born in Brooklyn, and his mother died when he was a baby. He paid $1350 in rent so that he was able to live with his dog.
All of your ignorant comments make me sick.
Ashamed

Long Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Nov 27, 2007
 
Dr Gregg in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Then guess what? Rickie has some responsibility in his death also. He chose not to get help from people, and he chose to live in such a place. And the landlord is responsible. How is it the towns fault? THey condemned the place. THey can't be everywhere to make sure everyone doesn't break the rules. BUt hey, they are the ones with the money and basically this family is going to try and screw all the hard working taxpayers, because its tax money that is goign to have to pay for this
Not one person in that house knew it was condemned. If it is tax money, that pays for this, I will be happy as long as the corruption ends on Long Island.
Ashamed

Long Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Nov 27, 2007
 
Dr Gregg in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Then guess what? Rickie has some responsibility in his death also. He chose not to get help from people, and he chose to live in such a place. And the landlord is responsible. How is it the towns fault? THey condemned the place. THey can't be everywhere to make sure everyone doesn't break the rules. BUt hey, they are the ones with the money and basically this family is going to try and screw all the hard working taxpayers, because its tax money that is goign to have to pay for this
Also, you are right. He did choose to live there. And he had a right to heat.
Ashamed

Long Beach, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 28, 2007
 
tmoney wrote:
WHOAAAAAAA HOLD UP....."Not one person in that house knew it was condemned"..... HOW CAN YOU LIVE IN A HOUSE THATS FALLING APART, NO HEAT , NO WATER, AND NO ELECTRIC, BUT YOU DON'T KNOW THE PLACE IS CONDEMNED????? YEAH RIGHT, AND I HAVE A BEACH HOUSE HERE IN PHOENIX THAT I WOULD LIKE TO SELL YOU. COME ON PEOPLE LETS ALL TRY AND USE OUR BRAINS, I GET THE FACT THAT THERE MIGHT BE HARD TIMES AND YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO, I WAS THERE.... I LIVED ON AN OLD BROKEN DOWN SCHOOL BUS FOR ALMOST 6 MONTHS, SO I KNOW ABOUT " DOING WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO" BUT I'M NOT GOING TO FEEL SORRY BECAUSE HE PUT HIMSELF IN THAT POSITION THE SAME AS I DID, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THE SLUMLORD SHOULD GET A FREE PASS, SOMEBODY DIED BECAUSE HE DID NOT WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY TO FIX THE APT/HOUSE, HE SHOULD BE PUNSHIED FOR THAT, AND I DON'T MEAN A FINE, OR A SLAP ON THE WRIST, I MEAN REAL BIGGBOY JAIL TIME, NOT HTE COUNTY JAIL, BUT STATE PEN. EVERYBODY INVOLVED WITH THIS SHARE IN THE DEATH OF THIS PERSON.....INCLUDING HIM.
I understand what you are saying, however, it is proven that no one from the town actually came to board the house, and there was NEVER a notice posted before this incident. It is true that the house was "falling apart" but that doesn't mean that they knew it that the Town of Babylon deemed it unsafe. So, no one knew that the house was condemned, regardless of its condition. And who said it had no water? The electric was cut off, because Milord did not pay the electric bills. It was not up to the tenants to pay, as the bill was in Milord's name. Like I've said in previous posts, all of you do not know what the complete facts are so its nearly impossible for any of you to actually make a proper assertion.
nikki

Port Jefferson Station, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 17, 2012
 
I live in one of these illegal basement apartments and i have a slumlord who basically extorts money from me and raised the rent 3 times it originally was advertised in the Pennysaver as $1150 includes all. She refuses to show me the LIPA bill and has raised the rent to $1300 plus extra money she's a typical con artist i have a 5 month old son and i have to bribe her to turn the heat on. I don't know what to do but I've paid more than my rent on time, every month and she refuses to pay for any repairs in this hell hole i don't even want my son smelling the sewage coming from the septic tank that's exposed completely through a giant hole in the walls. What do i do?
Lanna Dale

Bohemia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 17, 2012
 
nikki wrote:
I live in one of these illegal basement apartments and i have a slumlord who basically extorts money from me and raised the rent 3 times it originally was advertised in the Pennysaver as $1150 includes all. She refuses to show me the LIPA bill and has raised the rent to $1300 plus extra money she's a typical con artist i have a 5 month old son and i have to bribe her to turn the heat on. I don't know what to do but I've paid more than my rent on time, every month and she refuses to pay for any repairs in this hell hole i don't even want my son smelling the sewage coming from the septic tank that's exposed completely through a giant hole in the walls. What do i do?
1300 is not cheap. Why not move?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Melville Discussions

Search the Melville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 13 min Ha Ha 6,361
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr teddy Joe McCarthy cruz 6,341
Review: Secrets Secrets (Jul '13) 2 hr Lisa 15
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 2 hr Sam bee 1,478
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 14 hr Sham Hannuty 16,777
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 17 hr Bruser 2,256
Aerosmith's Joey Kramer Says Band Is Excited to... Wed Solmio 1
•••
•••

Melville News Video

•••
Melville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Melville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Melville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Melville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Melville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••