Patti

AOL

#21 Mar 20, 2008
What's the scoop re: Poseidon's Cove, the old Pig'n'Whistle, Steve's Pier? Has anyone dined at 18 Bay?
Susan Barber

Alameda, CA

#22 Mar 23, 2008
Wow, I love the Internet...was browsing around this morning and thought "hmm is Bayville here..." lo and behold I found these posts...
I grew up in Bayville form 1958 til I left for college in 75...my family lived there about fifteen years longer..but all these memories!
Abe's was owned by Abe who had bad eye sight, most of my siblings started working by about age 8 in order to earn money to go to Abe's...the luncheonette across the street near the police booth had the best vanilla ice cream on the planet and you could sit at the soda fountain and eat it there...I remember having to go get mail at the post office and in the early 60s home delivery became possible! We had Good Humor in the summer, a knife sharpener who came round in the Fall, and of course the milk man...walking through the woods to get to the Library...hot summer days playing on the Harrison Williams Estate before it was developed, bike riding to Centre Island...what a great place to live...
I now live 3,000 miles away, 20 minutes from San Francisco, on a little island that is also surrounded by water, very small town, a Bay to windsurf and kitesurf (has that hit Bayville???)and the San Mateo Peninsula about 9 miles away...there is a creek type area and it's about as close to Bayville as I could get so far away...
Thanks for the memories~oh, and learning to cast off the Bayville bridge, another favorite summer past time...
Susan
samb_40@yahoo.com
Patti

AOL

#23 Mar 23, 2008
Hi, Susan ~ I've lived in Bayville, off and on, since 1979 and I've lived here continuously during the past 12 years. The Good Humor (although it has another name) still arrives every summer, like clockwork, up and down the streets with enchanting lyrical music which blasts, "Ice Cream"... and the knife sharpener still comes around in the Fall! The luncheonette, adjacent to the police booth still exists, it's now named "Brigettes" ~ but it's essentially the same. People still cast off the bridge, and I laugh each and every time because they do so right underneath the sign that states, "No fishing from the bridge." The more things change the more they remain the same! I'm glad to know you're happy in CA, seems like you found your own little Bayville there! Good luck to you! p.s. Ralph's Pizza, on the strip, is the same as always, Nancy ~ Ralph's daughter runs the place with her brother, Jerry.
Bill

Lagrange, GA

#24 Mar 29, 2008
Mayo's lunches were homey.

I can remember a solar eclipse back in the late 50's. The family was spending the afternoon at Center Island Beach. Low tide. Filled a metal bucket with clams from water waist deep.
Bob

South New Berlin, NY

#25 Oct 8, 2008
I lived in Bayville till 1997 I remember when Bayville had 5 gas stations . One next to Abes, one next to the post office The Texaco across from the lunchonette one next to Ralphs pizza on the strip and the one thats still there.
peter

New York, NY

#26 Oct 10, 2008
you are forgetting the Sinclair station. It had a dinosaur as a symbol next to where the fish store is now
Bob

Morris, NY

#27 Nov 8, 2008
peter wrote:
you are forgetting the Sinclair station. It had a dinosaur as a symbol next to where the fish store is now
I remember the garage itself but not the business
Mike

Woodward, OK

#28 Dec 23, 2008
Ahh getting busted at the full Sail Inn one summer night with my ole pals nick, rick and lori, a wonderful women i should have married!! The memories of Bayville.
Linda

Chesapeake, VA

#29 Jan 2, 2009
I lived in Bayville from 1947-1980. It was a great place to grow up. I remember ice cream at Friendly's Corner, swimming in the creek, walking up Godfrey Ave. to get to the library, the merry-go-rounds at the beach. The big one on the sound side of 'the stands' was taken down when I was very young. I remember when Gus's Pizza first opened and we had to stand in line outside for what seemed a very long time to order pizza. Later on Ralphs' opened down near Centre Island. The soft crab sandwiches at the Pig n' Whistle were the best. I rode my bike down the village to get the mail. The gas station and Chrysler Plymouth Dealership next to the psost office was called Frontero's. My mother and grandfather used to work there. I miss the old town and plan to bring my grandchildren there so they can see where there grandma, mother, and aunt grew up.
Nick

Brooklyn, NY

#30 Jan 5, 2009
peter wrote:
There was a gas station Where Marine fuel oil is and another where Micheals Barber shop is now. It was owned by a Real Estate lady that drove a Packard convertible, She pumped the gas in her dress close and was always dressed to the nines. There was also the Greenwch bar between the Twin Harbor resturaunt and Walls Wharf on Greenwich Ave, It burned Down. How many of you remember the Bayville Hotel that stood where Donald St. is Now
Jeff Wasserman

Arendal, Norway

#31 Jan 5, 2009
Hi Bill,

I remember the Full Sail Inn well and with much fondness. The name of the band was "Easy on the Tuba" and we (I was in the band) unfortunately never made an album - but there are some incredible live recordings from Cantebury Ales in Huntington and one from NYU where we opened for Lester Flatt. We also did a studio session in 1980 (all live , no overdubs)... have been toying with mastering the cassette tapes and putting them out on the net. What we were doing then, a new generation is just beginning to do. them were some fine days ... Warren passed on in 2003 - and I had the privilege of playing with him on and off since the Full Sail days up until 2003.
Bill wrote:
How about the Sunday night bluegrass at Full Sail Inn back in the late '70's. It was Warren Carlstrom's troupe. They had earned a national bluegrass award back then. Warren has since passed on. I recall when he sat down at a piano at an 8th grade graduation party on Walnut Rd in GC. Even at that age he could knock your socks off with his talent. I wonder if he and his bluegrass crew cut an album. I did a search of his name on amazon.com without luck. If he did and anyone knows I'd appreciate the information.
Conservative Senior

Islip, NY

#32 Jan 20, 2009
I lived in Locust Valley in the early 50s and Bayville was a favorite hang out.I was a helper on the merry go round on the beach side and collected tickets for a guy named Harold,and across the street we worked for Pase who ran the miniature golf and small kiddy park later on.Going east on the strip was GI Joes,a small custard stand that sold corn dogs,A sort of nite club (name?),a boat shop,a bar(name?)pig & whistle,log cabin tavern.I'm sure I got some out of order and the names?I hope some one will help me out on them.WE also volunteered for the Civil Air Patrol and stood watch in a stand on the sound side just before the Center Island entrance reporting any air craft we saw via phone.
Jeff

New Hampton, NH

#33 Feb 24, 2009
I have not seen much mention here of the Pine Park Tavern. Next to the Bayville lunchonette, is today a stationary store (newspapers, etc.)I remember lots of rough-hewn wood on the walls and a pretty scruffy place in general. The trick was to get out of there and then get past the police booth(in your car) without attracting attention. But then, this was the day when virtually everyone was driving around drunk.
peter s

Corona, NY

#34 Mar 12, 2009
I remember the Pine Park Tavern, They used to have peanuts in the shell, you would just throw the shells on the floor.
Patti

AOL

#35 Mar 12, 2009
Jeff wrote:
I have not seen much mention here of the Pine Park Tavern. Next to the Bayville lunchonette, is today a stationary store (newspapers, etc.)I remember lots of rough-hewn wood on the walls and a pretty scruffy place in general. The trick was to get out of there and then get past the police booth(in your car) without attracting attention. But then, this was the day when virtually everyone was driving around drunk.
Hi, Jeff, presently adjacent to the Bayville Luncheonette, which still exists but by another name, there is no longer a newspaper store, it is an "alterations" shop (for tailoring apparel), next to that is a couple of lawyers, and next to that is the "Mill Creek Tavern" (excellent food, by the way).
Claire

Brooklyn, NY

#36 Apr 14, 2009
DaisyMay wrote:
OMG! Abes!!! How long ago was that! I used to ride my bike down from school with a friend and have a coke float for lunch :) Harrison and Williams - I remember hanging out in there with friends. Reinhart's??? I used to "live" there. Billy Joel asked me to dance when he was there one night, when he first made somewhat of a name for himself.
Ahhhh the memories
I don't know when you lived in Bayville but I did from 1938 until 1958. The estate was Harrison Williams, no "and". Does anyone remember Chittenden's Pharmacy on the corner of Ludlam and Bayville Aves.? How about Barnao's Grocery, Greco's Dry Goods or the A&P?
Dave ny ny

White Plains, NY

#37 Apr 30, 2009
They sure don't make em like Bayville anymore. As I read some of these postings from the "old-timers", I imagine my memories of good old Reinhardts seem like drivel. Nonetheless, I had lots of great times. Used to ride my bike (schwinn 10 speeder)down to the beach, check out the chicks, swim and ride home. To be a kid again!!!!!!!!!!
Dave ny ny

White Plains, NY

#38 Apr 30, 2009
By the way, i rode from Mineola on the Schwinn!!!!
Think I can do it today??!!!!!!
joe

Sandy Creek, NY

#39 May 27, 2009
anyone remember the cabanna and smokin dope in pine park tavern and gi joes
joe

Sandy Creek, NY

#40 May 27, 2009
or when the beaches were open all night and the wild parties in the 60-70s

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 13 hr Sambee 1,921
HUGE Story and this Board is quiet - why? (Apr '11) 15 hr Jane 4
Cops raid W. Islip bar, arrest owners, bartenders (Jan '08) 15 hr tim21 239
Review: Demi's Coffee S 19 hr Foodie 1
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 20 hr Bruser 7,910
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Sun Bruser 2,312
"Raunchy Joker But Harmless?" Sun Jeff Kelly 1

Melville News Video

Melville Dating
Find my Match