First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Pete

United States

#1 Sep 20, 2007
I'd love to hear comments on the old Bayville of my youth. Getting comics and candy at Abe's (where the Chinese rest. is), exploring the ruin's of the Baroness' estate (the greenhouses. the aviary, the fountains), going down the back way to Centre Island on the old dirt road through the marsh before they built what I still call the "new road".

Or as I got older the rich night life that was in Bayville Reinhart's (much better than the out of place Crescent), the old wall’s, fisherman's reef (I remember when it was a deli), Holt's grove (with the pull tab curtains)

Come on people reminisce with me.....
Mike

Brooklyn, NY

#2 Oct 1, 2007
Then came the invention of the car: you residents stoped supporting your village,ie the supermarket and went elesware now you cry for the old. If you would have payed the nickel for the gumball instead of going to glencove then there would be no need for reminiscing.
Pete

United States

#3 Oct 3, 2007
i still shop at iga, i still drink down at wall's used to shop at the hardware when they actually had merchandisestill go to the fish store....
Mike

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Oct 8, 2007
That makes 3 of us!!!!

“Just a small town girl”

Since: Jul 07

Bayville

#5 Oct 11, 2007
OMG! Abes!!! How long ago was that! I used to ride my bike down from school with a friend and have a coke float for lunch :) Harrison and Williams - I remember hanging out in there with friends. Reinhart's??? I used to "live" there. Billy Joel asked me to dance when he was there one night, when he first made somewhat of a name for himself.

Ahhhh the memories
Bill

Lagrange, GA

#6 Mar 16, 2008
How about the Sunday night bluegrass at Full Sail Inn back in the late '70's. It was Warren Carlstrom's troupe. They had earned a national bluegrass award back then. Warren has since passed on. I recall when he sat down at a piano at an 8th grade graduation party on Walnut Rd in GC. Even at that age he could knock your socks off with his talent. I wonder if he and his bluegrass crew cut an album. I did a search of his name on amazon.com without luck. If he did and anyone knows I'd appreciate the information.
PeterS

New York, NY

#7 Mar 17, 2008
Bill - I used to go to the Full Sail, but for totally different reasons. They were cheap, and you could score. But that was a long time ago. You might be interested in the site

http://griffinscornerscafe.com/images/The_Rig...

They are people who used to play with Warren Carltrom.

I live between Ludlum and Centre Island, and don't drink and drive. The Full Sail was just about the furthest I would go for a drink. I also went to The Holiday, Fisherman's Reef, Wall's, Holt's Grove, Reinhart's, Zuccaro's, and a few bars I'm not sure of the name. One was in the little strip of stores by the lunchenette. I remember they had peanuts in the shell, and there was another place That is still there but is open for about an hour a week - now called the old place or the other place - it used to be a fun place to go. There also was a bar close to the bridge called FarQuar's but I did not go there as it was supposedly gay.
PeterS

New York, NY

#8 Mar 17, 2008
The other half of the website did not display it is

/The_Right_Hands__Biographical _Info.pdf

on my computer the link works, but I never trust what works on mine works on others....
Patti

AOL

#9 Mar 18, 2008
The bar close to the bridge was called "The Shore House." It was originally a gay bar back in the '60's. Jan Brown was the owner and she was involved in the "theatre" in NY. She opened it as a place for her gay friends to socialize without being ostrasized (sp?). It was an older crowd. Then in the mid-70's her son took over and with that, his many friends started to appear. It had become predominantly straight. I was one of the friends!:-)
Patti

AOL

#10 Mar 18, 2008
Pete ~ I remember Abe's. He was blind, correct? And, I do remember Hult's Grove. Spent many an evening there with friends. Julie and Julie were the owner and her barmaid. And there was a big, burly older man who kept law and order. Remember the picture (or tapestry) above the bar of the dogs playing cards? "-)
Patti

AOL

#11 Mar 18, 2008
Pete ~ you made me remember a long forgotten thought about Hult's Grove... playing pool and continuously putting coins in the juke box ~ I can still hear "The Pretenders' Chain Gang" playing like it was yesterday!
Patti

AOL

#12 Mar 18, 2008
Pete ~ It was quite a shock to see "The Holiday," aka Chantre's, aka The Lobster House burned down to the ground, most recently. Thank goodness no one was injured.(And, yes, I live in Bayville!)
Patti

AOL

#13 Mar 18, 2008
Full Sail? Wasn't that owned by George Lincoln?(Dusting off the cobwebs in my mind)... and didn't they continuously get raided for drugs and/or operating without a liquor license from time to time?
PeterS

New York, NY

#14 Mar 18, 2008
Yeah Hult's was a trip - curtain's made of pull tops. Kids today wouldn't know what they were. The Full Sail was were I could get weed and then smoke down on the beach so my parents wouldn't know. I wasn't a year round resident do I don't know any of the owners (except Joe from the Holiday). I knew the bartenders though and they all knew me, the guys I hung out with were regulars. Now the only place left to go really is Wall's. But they are going to try to open up another place where the Landing was. Twin Harbor was always very cliquey, so I would only go in there for dinner. I used to love the Fisherman's Reef too. I used to love the Sinclair gas station on Ludlam with the dinosaur on the sign.
Bill

Lagrange, GA

#15 Mar 20, 2008
PeterS wrote:
Bill - I used to go to the Full Sail, but for totally different reasons. They were cheap, and you could score. But that was a long time ago. You might be interested in the site
http://griffinscornerscafe.com/images/The_Rig...
They are people who used to play with Warren Carltrom.
I live between Ludlum and Centre Island, and don't drink and drive. The Full Sail was just about the furthest I would go for a drink. I also went to The Holiday, Fisherman's Reef, Wall's, Holt's Grove, Reinhart's, Zuccaro's, and a few bars I'm not sure of the name. One was in the little strip of stores by the lunchenette. I remember they had peanuts in the shell, and there was another place That is still there but is open for about an hour a week - now called the old place or the other place - it used to be a fun place to go. There also was a bar close to the bridge called FarQuar's but I did not go there as it was supposedly gay.
Pine Park Tavern. My first bar drink - that in 1965 I think.
Spent many an hour in the Full Sail. You may remember Paul Hotine. Pleasant old gentleman.
Bill

Lagrange, GA

#16 Mar 20, 2008
DaisyMay wrote:
OMG! Abes!!! How long ago was that! I used to ride my bike down from school with a friend and have a coke float for lunch :) Harrison and Williams - I remember hanging out in there with friends. Reinhart's??? I used to "live" there. Billy Joel asked me to dance when he was there one night, when he first made somewhat of a name for himself.
Ahhhh the memories
Actually, I think Billy Joel was quite well know before it was Reinhart's. Can't recall its name back then though.
Bill

Lagrange, GA

#17 Mar 20, 2008
Patti wrote:
Full Sail? Wasn't that owned by George Lincoln?(Dusting off the cobwebs in my mind)... and didn't they continuously get raided for drugs and/or operating without a liquor license from time to time?
Always had a liquor license but on St. Patricks day he would sometimes open the kitchen and give out corned beef, cabbage and potatoes gratis as they weren't licensed to sell food.
Bill

Lagrange, GA

#18 Mar 20, 2008
Is Black Bart still collecting dogs? He was the local K9 bounty hunter back in '74. Speaking of dogs, anyone remember the beautiful husky? A guy down from Alaska moved into the FSInn and brought two huskys with him. The male was bad news but the female, huge dog, was a honey. She could be seen around Bayville like she owned it. I think she was still around town years after her owner split.
Patti

AOL

#19 Mar 20, 2008
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I think Billy Joel was quite well know before it was Reinhart's. Can't recall its name back then though.
Genre: Rock
Active:'60s
Major Members: Jonathan Small, Richard McKenner, John Edward Dizek, Billy Joel, Howard Arthur Blauvelt
Biography
The Hassles found their place in music history as Billy Joel's first recorded moment, but musically they deserve more. Though they only released two albums, the Hassles were a pretty proficient, highly enjoyable, though not particularly groundbreaking act that saw a fair amount of local attention in the Long Island area. The Hassles were a blue-eyed soul band, modeled somewhat after the Rascals, formed in Long Island in 1964 by drummer Jon Small, singer John Dizek, organist Harry Webber, and guitarist Richie McKenna. Webber was fired from the band in 1966 due to erratic behavior and Billy Joel, who had earned a local reputation as a keyboardist with the Echoes, the Lost Souls, and the Commandos (as Billy Joe Joel), was enlisted to take his place on the condition that the band also take on bassist Howie Blauvelt.

Though still a teenager, Joel was also able to add prodigiously soulful lead vocals and harmony. The group's new sound quickly found a following through constant gigging throughout Long Island. United Artists signed the Hassles in 1967, releasing their self-titled debut by November the same year. The single, a cover of Sam & Dave's "You've Got Me Hummin'," made it to number 112 on the Billboard Singles Chart, but the album failed to make an impact outside of the band's local following. In 1968, they followed with the more psychedelically inclined Hour of the Wolf.

The group disbanded the following year when Small and Joel left to form the heavier organ-and-drums duo Attila. Attila released one album for Epic in early 1970 that went justifiably unnoticed at the time and remains an embarrassment for Joel to this day. Joel went on to an incredibly successful solo career and Small went on to become a video producer. In 1999, The Best of the Hassles: You've Got Me Hummin' compiled the best of the Hassles' recordings, adding four unreleased cuts as well.~ Chris Woodstra, All Music Guide
Patti

AOL

#20 Mar 20, 2008
Anyone remember Mayo's Bar - just east of the now defunct Gus' Pizzeria, prior to the entranceway of Centre Island Beach? I think the owner's name was Louise Mayo.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 1 hr Bruser 2,316
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 12 hr Lisa 1,934
Editorial: Re-elect Jack Martins in 7th Senate ... 13 hr Just Saying 1
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 23 hr Bruser 7,915
Review: Depalo & Sons Auto Body Inc (Nov '09) Thu Jack Oasis 17
Review: Sahdev Devinder (Dec '10) Wed John 15
Village of Lindenhurst is Corrupt (Dec '09) Wed concerned neighbor 45

Melville News Video

Melville Dating
Find my Match