On the Job too

North Babylon, NY

#23 Feb 20, 2011
Lockudown wrote:
I am a NYC Corrections Officer and I can tell you that ignorance is alive and well when it comes to Police Officers and media outlets in reference to Correction Officers. I've worked hand in hand with court officers, orange county shreiffs, nassau county shreiffs, parole officers, probation officers, throopers, us marshals, etc and I can tell you the one agency which gives us the most problems is the NYPD. It's ignorance nothing more they feel that their the number one law enforcement agency in NYC. If you ask many of their members if we are law enforcement they will reply "no." The two premier departments in the world in the greatest city in the world, do not get along. This is breed into their members right from academy they are instructed to work with correction but also taught that they are there superiors, also they feel we are preps with a badge. They have no idea of the work ethic that a correction officer deals with, when you work in an housing area with the scum of the streets for 8 to 16 hours a day it will influence your life. Now I'm not stating your going to do time, no your language might take a hit, you willl learn to speak and act like them when your around them for so long. Now when PD stops a CO who just worked a mandatory 16 hour shift and is trying to get home, they will encounter a officer which is tired and frustrated because he/she might get some type of ignorance from the approaching officer. This is the most improtant time the encounter of the two departments at a car stop, this is where officers must learn to control their actions and I mean both departments. Yet if the CO states "I'm on the job" you chances of he reply " your not on my job" are high, then the CO will feel disrespected and will reply in an angry housing area remark, problem. This is the type of encounter that happens everyday and ignorance is the key factor to the wedge between the departments. There mut come a time when both departments must merge or correction receives police status the holy grail to PD, if we received this change it will transform corrections to law enforcement status in the eyes of the NYPD. It's sad almost every other PD and Correction Departments work hand and hand or are merged, not in NYC though and they are consider the elite departments, go figure. Media - have no clue to the job we do, they get there so call facts which are from former inmates (liars) and from movies & tv shows. They love to call us guards and love to demeanor our department and members when ever they get a chance. I've learn not to listen to their retoric because every time they print false accounts to anything pertaining to corrections we laugh and come to realize they only want to sell papers and you can't do that telling the truth.
You are so right!
undercover detective

New York, NY

#24 Feb 20, 2011
Lets be honest: most cops play hide and seek during there shifts. Nassau cops hide in the firehouses run by volleys, then go hit 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts for free cofee and donuts.

Nypd guys hide in building and there girlfriends houses who they cheat of wifes with.

Cop generaly are low educated
Just my opinion

East Meadow, NY

#25 Feb 20, 2011
undercover detective wrote:
Lets be honest: most cops play hide and seek during there shifts. Nassau cops hide in the firehouses run by volleys, then go hit 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts for free cofee and donuts.
Nypd guys hide in building and there girlfriends houses who they cheat of wifes with.
Cop generaly are low educated
Wait a minute, are question the education of another person? You have about ten mistakes in this comment. Your mother should have aborted you. I hope you get locked up so some C.O. can have a field day on your pimple covered fat head jhonathan. I hope you die!
On the Job too

North Babylon, NY

#26 Feb 20, 2011
Just my opinion wrote:
<quoted text>Wait a minute, are question the education of another person? You have about ten mistakes in this comment. Your mother should have aborted you. I hope you get locked up so some C.O. can have a field day on your pimple covered fat head jhonathan. I hope you die!
Don't waste your precious time on this idiot. The person that wrote this is probably someone who is too stupid to pass the NYPD test or the NYDOC test; so he/she is angry at the world. As far as education, just as you said they have about ten mistakes so they definitely didn't try to get an education.
What a waste

East Meadow, NY

#27 Feb 21, 2011
On the Job too wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't waste your precious time on this idiot. The person that wrote this is probably someone who is too stupid to pass the NYPD test or the NYDOC test; so he/she is angry at the world. As far as education, just as you said they have about ten mistakes so they definitely didn't try to get an education.
That guy is all over this website just rambling on about everyything and constantly contradicting himself. I just wish that i could find out who he is and take care of him myself. He is a waste of life.
wife of a nyc co

Kansas City, MO

#28 Apr 3, 2011
Lets be Fair wrote:
As the daughter, wife, and sister of NYC Correction Officers, I get very frustrated because it seems like the Police Officers always seemed to get the positive publicity. The CO's are definitely the forgotten group in law enforcement. Its as though they don't really exist, unless you have a riot in the jail or a CO gets arrested other than that you don't hear anything positive. There jobs are very important. Family life is affected because of the work schedules. The most important thing is the same crimminals arrested by the police is the same ones the CO's are with 8-16hrs per day; they are your murderers,rapist,pedofiles,ser ial killers, etc.
Please be reminded I am not putting police work down in anyway; because I believe those Officers do a good job but I would like for the public to understand how important the CO's job is also; You have to be a special person (male or female) with a lot of nerve to do that job. Am I the only one that feels this way? Anyone out there agree with me
I understand what you mean. I myself have a ex that is nypd and my husband is a nyc co. I think that is more of a lack of understanding of what it is like being a co. I think if nypd took one day and worked in a prison, with the criminals without the protection of a gun they may respect the job of a co. Yes being a nypd officer is hard, dangerous but so is a co .
sensible

North Babylon, NY

#29 Apr 4, 2011
wife of a nyc co wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you mean. I myself have a ex that is nypd and my husband is a nyc co. I think that is more of a lack of understanding of what it is like being a co. I think if nypd took one day and worked in a prison, with the criminals without the protection of a gun they may respect the job of a co. Yes being a nypd officer is hard, dangerous but so is a co .
So true!
smoothb1984

Ridgewood, NY

#30 May 13, 2011
i dont understand why the nypd dont like corrections officers our job is just as critical to law enforcement as any other job if you didnt have us nypd what would happen to all the people u arrest (perps) who would keep the murderers from getting out and killing some more who will keep the rapist locked down so they dont rape anymore and for those that think we correction officer are not law enforcement why do we have arrest powers and carry weapons on and off duty and when we retire we get unrestricted carry privileges just like retired NYPD officers its just a different aspect of law enforcement like COURT OFFICERS are not cops they are armed peace officers just like bridge and tunnel officers and parole officers oh yeah and dont forget about corrections officers so we are law enforcement a major part of law enforcement sorry to burst any bubbles just give us the respect that we deserve thats all we ask
retired co fat pension

Shelby, NC

#32 May 21, 2011
IDIOT SANDS IS UPSET CAUSE WITH HIS MBA HE WILL STILL BE WRKN FOR 30 YEARS N I'M 42 ENJOIN A GREAT PENSION N BIG BEAUTIFUL HOUSE LOL KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
sensible

North Babylon, NY

#33 May 21, 2011
retired co fat pension wrote:
IDIOT SANDS IS UPSET CAUSE WITH HIS MBA HE WILL STILL BE WRKN FOR 30 YEARS N I'M 42 ENJOIN A GREAT PENSION N BIG BEAUTIFUL HOUSE LOL KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK
Enjoy!
lionroars

Bronx, NY

#34 Oct 31, 2011
i started my career in nycdoc and now have moved on to nypd.i will be the first to tell you there both two different jobs and attitudes.nycdoc dont stick together at all its horrible how they talk about eachother im amazed that anything got done in there.now nypd we might not get along but we have eachothers back.as far as carstops goes.your not on the same job,so dont give the approaching cop attitude like you are.
lionroars

Bronx, NY

#35 Oct 31, 2011
i hate when ppl say let me see a cop work without a gun and just work with mace.any real cop would agree with me.we might have carry guns on duty but we mind as well be carrying paper guns bc this the job the media and the public make it were u as a cop got to get shot before u shoot.so dont give me that go into a jail house without your gun shit.i was working on one of the toughest jails on rikers.and i can tell you hands down its more dangerous being a cop
lionroars

Bronx, NY

#36 Oct 31, 2011
i would never take anything for co's there job is hard,but stop comparing the two.we all get a paycheck to do a job so do it no matter what department your in.either way the brass dont give to shits about there officers in both departments.debate that.
damien auksorius

Hobart, Australia

#37 Oct 31, 2011
job well done boys.
BOLD-CO

New York, NY

#38 Dec 1, 2011
We are all on the JOB...
Just to let you all know, when you've passed all of the several tests to become a Correction Officer, you then become a Peace Officer.
NYC Correction officers are New York State peace officers authorized to make warrantless arrests, carry and use a firearm, and use physical and deadly force. Correction Officers have peace officer powers both on and off duty.

U.S. Law Enforcement Officers include (but may not be limited to) the following:
1.State troopers
2.Police officers
3.Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs
4.Constables and deputy constables
5.Town Marshals and deputy town marshals
6.Correctional officers
7.Probation officers
8.Fish and game wardens
9.Natural resources officers (park rangers and forest rangers)
10.Fire Marshals and deputy fire marshals
11.Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents
12.Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents
13.United States Marshals and deputy marshals
14.Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) agents
15.Bureau of Diplomatic Security special agents
16.United States Border Patrol agents
17.Immigration inspectors
18.Customs and Border Protection officers
19.Federal air marshals
20.Federal Flight Deck Officer
21.United States Secret Service special agents and uniformed officers
22.District Attorney and Prosecuting Attorney investigators
23.Office of Mental Health safety/security officers[citation needed]
24.United States Postal Service postal inspectors
25.U.S. Coast Guard boarding officers
MUCH RESPECT TO MY FELLOW CO'S, NYPD AND ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
smoothb

New York, NY

#39 Dec 7, 2011
Well put the term on the job just mean LEO (law enforcement officer) not that i am on your job I am just law enforcement but the proper term is MOS (member of service) and that's what I use on a car stop and I don't flash my badge at a cop either I slide them my ID with my drivers license because they don't have to give u a pass they can ticket u but if u do those and just be respectful u shouldn't have a problem I never have a problem on car stops yet and i am a correction officer
Sensible Person

Deer Park, NY

#40 Dec 8, 2011
BOLD-CO wrote:
We are all on the JOB...
Just to let you all know, when you've passed all of the several tests to become a Correction Officer, you then become a Peace Officer.
NYC Correction officers are New York State peace officers authorized to make warrantless arrests, carry and use a firearm, and use physical and deadly force. Correction Officers have peace officer powers both on and off duty.
U.S. Law Enforcement Officers include (but may not be limited to) the following:
1.State troopers
2.Police officers
3.Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs
4.Constables and deputy constables
5.Town Marshals and deputy town marshals
6.Correctional officers
7.Probation officers
8.Fish and game wardens
9.Natural resources officers (park rangers and forest rangers)
10.Fire Marshals and deputy fire marshals
11.Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) agents
12.Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agents
13.United States Marshals and deputy marshals
14.Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) agents
15.Bureau of Diplomatic Security special agents
16.United States Border Patrol agents
17.Immigration inspectors
18.Customs and Border Protection officers
19.Federal air marshals
20.Federal Flight Deck Officer
21.United States Secret Service special agents and uniformed officers
22.District Attorney and Prosecuting Attorney investigators
23.Office of Mental Health safety/security officers[citation needed]
24.United States Postal Service postal inspectors
25.U.S. Coast Guard boarding officers
MUCH RESPECT TO MY FELLOW CO'S, NYPD AND ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
As a civilian, I would like to let All Law Enforcement know that I respect the job you do that I could never do. You folks deal with the worse at times and you do not get the credit you deserve. I am talking about those that do their job properly and don't abuse their power. Stay safe and Thank You!
Lockudown

Newburgh, NY

#41 Dec 21, 2011
Lions roar - If you were a C.O. I don't under how you could come to idiot conclusions. Your statement that a police officer could do our job is ridiculous, I can prove you wrong 30 times a day when police officers from all counties and the city come to Rikers island and given their weapons before entering the facilities. I see this type of encounter everyday, their body language and facial expressions are priceless, plus since the introductions of the video cameras through out the island this can be proved without any doubt. don't come in here stating you were a C.O. and your stating don't have an attitude when an approaching police officer is so ignorant it sounds like you were not a C.O. At all and if you were you probably had an hook and never worked the housing areas. No unity - This is a problem because of our sleeping with the enemy union, how could you have unity when the union doesn't back you, the department is after you, and the inmate with their activist are after you as well. One thing police officers have is a good union, the department backs them, and the perps are always wrong because of their criminal backgrounds. We as C.O. are not so lucky, right when that so call perp becomes an inmate they receive superpowers and they are not liars no more. I have a saying when I get into trouble "if the inmate is telling the truth why is he in jail" How can any investigating body believe the word on an inmate is beyond belief because when they were a perp in PDs custody they are liars and the police officer is telling the truth. iIf you are a C.O. You know where I'm coming from this a big problem in New York State and something must be done, how can we do our jobs if legal aid, ACLU, inmate activist, believe everything that comes out of an inmates mouth? If this is so then their telling the truth about their cases then let them go back to the public so PD can arrest them again and we start the whole scenario over and over again. So again I state keep your mouth shut about corrections and their job if you know nothing of the job, your experience in watching Oz, shawshank redemption, the castle, midnight express, and prison break do not give you the experience you think you have you are unqualified in speaking about us so, shut-it.
boldestjay

Walden, NY

#42 Jan 17, 2012
PLease on the job does not mean your a police officer but a peace officer/law enforcement, also peace officer officers are all over the world except for NYPD (police/peace officer), you could also try MOS (member of service)i should no i was once a publc safety officer. So it's OK to say MOS (car stop)as opposed to ON THE JOB. Besides most guys in academy chose NYPD instead of NYDOC, and visa versa, its deffrent NOW, times have changed. its no longer NYDOC vrs NYPD, but NYDOC vrs NYDOC, those no what i mean...... also as CO's learn to act like a law enforcement personel and not a civilian so learn the jarger, most of u guys came from school saftey so thats one step up.
wowwwww

Brooklyn, NY

#43 Jan 20, 2012
bold what u mean

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to RObert MAyer? (Aug '13) 7 hr Lisa 1,934
Editorial: Re-elect Jack Martins in 7th Senate ... 9 hr Just Saying 1
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 19 hr Bruser 2,315
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 19 hr Bruser 7,915
Review: Depalo & Sons Auto Body Inc (Nov '09) 22 hr Jack Oasis 17
Review: Sahdev Devinder (Dec '10) Wed John 15
Village of Lindenhurst is Corrupt (Dec '09) Wed concerned neighbor 45

Melville News Video

Melville Dating
Find my Match