Student Success Alliance

Chicago, IL

#1 Mar 20, 2009
Everyone forgets that the most important thing for a town is its schools.

On April 7th, Vote for Loretta Gustello, Jaime Anguiano, and Jaime Anguiano!
Student Success Alliance

Chicago, IL

#2 Mar 20, 2009
Oh I meant Vote for Loretta Gustello, Jaime Anguiano, Veronica Bonilla-Lopez!
ms res

Hinsdale, IL

#3 Mar 20, 2009
How right you are. If people are so concerned about the schools, then vote in good people for the school board. The village you live in has nothing to do with the schools.
SSS

Chicago, IL

#4 Mar 22, 2009
Vote for Loretta on April 7th.
Chris

Naperville, IL

#5 Mar 25, 2009
Why do you recommend Gustello, Angulano and Bonilla-Lopez? Why do you think they would do a better job than the other candidates? Seriously.
exmper

Chicago, IL

#6 Mar 25, 2009
Student Success Alliance wrote:
Oh I meant Vote for Loretta Gustello, Jaime Anguiano, Veronica Bonilla-Lopez!
if anyone wants to save and improve the school system, these are the three most important names to vote for on election day
exmper

Chicago, IL

#7 Mar 25, 2009
Chris wrote:
Why do you recommend Gustello, Angulano and Bonilla-Lopez? Why do you think they would do a better job than the other candidates? Seriously.
Gustello has been a teacher and a principal. She is highly in tune with the needs of the district and has the intelligence to try to get things done.
SSS

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 25, 2009
They are good people and they are endorsed by a great mayor, Ron Serpico!
SSS

Chicago, IL

#9 Mar 25, 2009
Plus they are not from maywood.
Another good cop

Chicago, IL

#10 Mar 25, 2009
exmper wrote:
<quoted text>
Gustello has been a teacher and a principal. She is highly in tune with the needs of the district and has the intelligence to try to get things done.
Oh and she has relatives who work for the village and the fire department. So vote for the Serpico supported candidates so they can do the same for district 89 that they have done for Melrose Park.
animal

United States

#11 Apr 14, 2009
Another good cop wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and she has relatives who work for the village and the fire department. So vote for the Serpico supported candidates so they can do the same for district 89 that they have done for Melrose Park.
Hey, guess what? It doesn't matter who wins because district 89 schools are the bottom of the barrel. They don't test any better than the inner city schools. Most of them have been on academic probation. I can't imagine how they can be saved. Everyone I know is sending there kids to schools in other towns & paying high tuition to get there kids a good education. I've been to so many meetings where the entire discussion was our schools.But like everything else in this town nothing changes.
Paco Taco

Wheaton, IL

#12 Apr 14, 2009
They are full of mexicans that don't speak English. Who's to blame for that...it's happening all over America. If you want your children to get a REAL education they have to be sent to private schools. You can't blame the Mayor or the School board for this. I'm sure the chool board is doing it's best but look what they have to work with... It's happening everywhere. This is a national problem...So just blame Serpico!...gimme a break.
animal

United States

#13 Apr 14, 2009
Paco Taco wrote:
They are full of mexicans that don't speak English. Who's to blame for that...it's happening all over America. If you want your children to get a REAL education they have to be sent to private schools. You can't blame the Mayor or the School board for this. I'm sure the chool board is doing it's best but look what they have to work with... It's happening everywhere. This is a national problem...So just blame Serpico!...gimme a break.
Hey! I never said it was Serpico's fault. The schools were bad way before he got into office. I still say it does not matter who is on the school board - the schools will never be up to par. Years ago,we tried to change districts & be 89 1/2 so we could use Rhodes school.I was an officer in the PTO at the time. The idea never passed. At that time it was much better than it is now. The Mexican kids had their own bilingual teachers & class rooms.Now I understand they are all together & this holds the teachers up because they have to get through to these kids.Now we won't even get top notch teachers. Why would they want to teach in this district? Our reputation is well known.
Mexican kid

Chicago, IL

#14 Apr 14, 2009
So the problem is the "mexcican kids"? District 89 has schools where there are few or not any "mexican kids" but they are still testing below standards. There are "mexican kids" at Rhodes as well. Don't blame the kids whether they are white, black, mexiacan, chinese, italian, etc...blame the adults.
Blame the school board

Chicago, IL

#15 Apr 14, 2009
Paco Taco wrote:
The majority of growth for Hispanics comes from birth not from immigration. So the majority of the "Mexican kids" are english speakers.

If they are not proficient then yes blame the school board, blame the schools, blame the teachers and the Mayors including Yarbrough and Serpico. It is not a "Mexican kid" problem

But you also have to blame the PARENTS!
animal

United States

#16 Apr 14, 2009
Mexican kid wrote:
So the problem is the "mexcican kids"? District 89 has schools where there are few or not any "mexican kids" but they are still testing below standards. There are "mexican kids" at Rhodes as well. Don't blame the kids whether they are white, black, mexiacan, chinese, italian, etc...blame the adults.
The reason to change districts had nothing to do with the mexican kids. At that time there were very few of them in the district. It was because the teaching in 89 was not up to par with other school districts.Our kids were graduating & having a very hard time in high school because of this. They had no algebra & couldn't even diagram a sentence - all things expected of them as freshmen. Now the problem is the Mexican kids who don't speak or understand English. I have no problem with Mexian people. My next door neighbors are Mexican & they are wonderful. I will say this though, if you live in this country the language is English -learn it & speak it. My grandparents came here from Italy & nobody asked them if they wanted to hear it in English or Italian. They had to learn the language.I do blame the adults - the parents of these kids who don't speak english & don't want to learn it. They don't have any idea about what their kids need help with when it comes to school work. So the teachers take the time & the other kids suffer for it. We never should have started catering to the mexican population. Now it's always "Press 1 for english - press 2 for spanish. All directions for products have english & spanish. Companies want biligual workers - so why learn to speak english? They don't have to - so they don't. I'll say it again - YOU LIVE IN AMERICA, THE LANGUAGE HERE IS ENGLISH - LEARN IT OR GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM.
Filthy Animal

Chicago, IL

#17 Apr 15, 2009
animal wrote:
<quoted text>The reason to change districts had nothing to do with the mexican kids. At that time there were very few of them in the district. It was because the teaching in 89 was not up to par with other school districts.Our kids were graduating & having a very hard time in high school because of this. They had no algebra & couldn't even diagram a sentence - all things expected of them as freshmen. Now the problem is the Mexican kids who don't speak or understand English. I have no problem with Mexian people. My next door neighbors are Mexican & they are wonderful. I will say this though, if you live in this country the language is English -learn it & speak it. My grandparents came here from Italy & nobody asked them if they wanted to hear it in English or Italian. They had to learn the language.I do blame the adults - the parents of these kids who don't speak english & don't want to learn it. They don't have any idea about what their kids need help with when it comes to school work. So the teachers take the time & the other kids suffer for it. We never should have started catering to the mexican population. Now it's always "Press 1 for english - press 2 for spanish. All directions for products have english & spanish. Companies want biligual workers - so why learn to speak english? They don't have to - so they don't. I'll say it again - YOU LIVE IN AMERICA, THE LANGUAGE HERE IS ENGLISH - LEARN IT OR GO BACK WHERE YOU CAME FROM.
The majority of growth for Hispanics comes from birth not from immigration. So the majority of the "Mexican kids" are english speakers.

If they are not proficient then yes blame the school board, blame the schools, blame the teachers and the Mayors including Yarbrough and Serpico. It is not a "Mexican kid" problem

But you also have to blame the PARENTS!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melrose Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 3 hr Chain Migration 10,702
News Girl drowns at Gary Beach (Jul '07) 10 hr Lowest of them All 25
berwyn gang shooting (Aug '08) Tue Crickets 269
franklin pk bs fees Feb 19 JFK 3
Hillside Academy more like jail than school (May '07) Feb 18 TapOutKing 218
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Feb 18 SligieForMayor 177
Taylor St. gypsies claiming Melrose Parker iden... Feb 17 epicpoopguy420 10

Melrose Park Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Melrose Park Mortgages