King's legacy still cause of debate

King's legacy still cause of debate

There are 1090 comments on the USA Today story from Jan 19, 2014, titled King's legacy still cause of debate. In it, USA Today reports that:

It is a large legacy that looms over the past five decades, from the prophetic "I Have a Dream" speech delivered during the March on Washington to his last campaign taking a stand for underpaid black sanitation workers in Memphis, the city where he was slain.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.

fingiswold

Newark, OH

#218 Jan 22, 2014
mjjcpa wrote:
In 2003, one Los Angeles union representative said:“If I’m representing them, it’s impossible to get them out. It’s impossible. Unless they commit a lewd act.” Unfortunately for the students who have to learn from these educators, virtually every teacher who works for the Los Angeles Unified School District receives tenure: In 2009, The Los Angeles Times reported that fewer than two percent of teachers are denied tenure during the two year probationary period after being hired. And once they have tenure, there’s no getting rid of them. Between 1995 and 2005, only 112 Los Angeles tenured teachers faced termination — eleven per year — out of 43,000. And that’s in a school district where the graduation rate in 2003 was just 51 percent.
Who the hell believes this s--t? Where are you getting it, what are the sources, why the hell should we believe a partisan a--hole like you?

Anyone can say s--t. You can't PROVE any of it, though.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#219 Jan 22, 2014
sandy1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry about that, I was doing something else while posting. Jewelry or a car would be a much better prize. Keep the info coming, this is fun.
Fun? You think I do this for fun? The world must bow to me for bringing it the supreme knowledge of the mountaintop!
You didn't happen to see a string of paper dolls anywhere, did you? Nurse!

Here's my last offering of the day.
Man is not an entity, but merely the extension of his own ego....I think.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#220 Jan 22, 2014
fingiswold wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the stupidest things I've ever read here, but emblematic of the Rightie way of "thinking."
Racist, anti-Union, anti-education, and just plain partisan, ideological, and DUMB. Congrats. You win the kewpie doll.
Did you read the above posts?... or are you too willfully blind?

I'm not anti-education. I'd like to see the money go to the kids. It's the greedy teacher unions that are preventing it. Bill Gates was going to give $1 billion to Washington State, but the teacher unions refuse any accountability. Tenure = Sloth

Liberals have turned our schools into organized crime rackets, while the kids get dumber.

I recommend getting kids math books from Singapore. They have much better schools at half the cost, and are in English. The Chinese, Japanese and Korean books are better too, but don't translate well.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#221 Jan 22, 2014
fingiswold wrote:
<quoted text>
Who the hell believes this s--t? Where are you getting it, what are the sources, why the hell should we believe a partisan a--hole like you?
Anyone can say s--t. You can't PROVE any of it, though.
google
sandy1

Southold, NY

#222 Jan 22, 2014
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>Fun? You think I do this for fun? The world must bow to me for bringing it the supreme knowledge of the mountaintop!
You didn't happen to see a string of paper dolls anywhere, did you? Nurse!
Here's my last offering of the day.
Man is not an entity, but merely the extension of his own ego....I think.
Thanks for the info, and the fun. Yes, I think you do have fun with this, although that paper doll thing has me a bit concerned. We must do this again soon.
horses Coach

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#223 Jan 22, 2014
sandy1 wrote:
<quoted text>
What the hell is this, jeopardy? Lol. Nobody was buried in Grant's tomb. Next category please, Mr.Trebek.
;-000h, dat foook funiesgirl;-00h, ryin the price is left!! ;-00
horses Coach

Nha Trang, Vietnam

#224 Jan 22, 2014
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, Cole was who I couldn't recall. Ive got a good memory, it's just short. And I didn't mean to imply that Irving and Ira worked together, just that they each did some good shit.
and we didn't even mention a local boy, Johnny Mercer, or the guy that Ian fleming used as a model for James Bond, Hoagy carmichael
hey, GAer;) hu is living Allll Dreamor? Lincoln, ted Cannidy & broth, malkom X, dr. Queen, john lemon, ect..........;-000
fingiswold

Newark, OH

#225 Jan 22, 2014
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the above posts?... or are you too willfully blind?
I'm not anti-education. I'd like to see the money go to the kids. It's the greedy teacher unions that are preventing it. Bill Gates was going to give $1 billion to Washington State, but the teacher unions refuse any accountability. Tenure = Sloth
Liberals have turned our schools into organized crime rackets, while the kids get dumber.
I recommend getting kids math books from Singapore. They have much better schools at half the cost, and are in English. The Chinese, Japanese and Korean books are better too, but don't translate well.
Hilarious. You whine about me being 'blind" then confirm EXACtly what I said about Rightie opinions of unions.

God DAMN but you are dumb and dishonest. I recommend that you shoot yourself in your own empty head.
fingiswold

Newark, OH

#226 Jan 22, 2014
mjjcpa wrote:
<quoted text>
google
WHERE ARE THE SOURCES, liar? I don't do your homework for you, putz!
ICE

Thorntown, IN

#227 Jan 22, 2014
fingiswold wrote:
<quoted text>
"B. Hussein Obama' is racist. Pretending that a President who comments on racist events in our country is racist....is itself racist.
"I know you are but what am I" is a typical Rightie argument, but not a rational or mature one.
B. Hussein Obama is his name just like W. Jefferson Clinton or G.W. Bush, Obama is a racist and so are you for condoning this sort of Behavior.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#228 Jan 22, 2014
ICE wrote:
<quoted text>B. Hussein Obama is his name just like W. Jefferson Clinton or G.W. Bush, Obama is a racist and so are you for condoning this sort of Behavior.
W.Jefferson Clinton did not legally change his name.

Ish Tov

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#229 Jan 22, 2014
mjjcpa wrote:
The biggest victims of teachers union thugs are inner-city minority kids with one parent.
Cram it.

There is plenty wrong with the educational system in the U$A but only a deluded connedservative would lay the blame on the teachers unions!

You speak from pure ideological motive, with no concern for facts. You don't care about education, you just hate Unions. Which makes you vile.

You hate the worker, you kiss corporate ass, you're a racist...wow, you're really a DRAG on this country, aren't you, schmuck...

Pinche inútil... múerete ya.
fingiswold

Newark, OH

#231 Jan 22, 2014
RayOne wrote:
<quoted text>W.Jefferson Clinton did not legally change his name.
Who are you claiming DID change their name, buffoon?

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#232 Jan 22, 2014
Education in America is an issue that's very important to Microsoft founder Bill Gates. In a country that stands for equal opportunity, he says our public schools are failing to offer that.

"If you go to one of these tough schools, your chance of going to a four-year college is even less than your chance of going to jail," Bill says.

Bill believes that to keep America at the forefront in terms of education, we must take what some teachers do very well and incorporate that into a system with higher expectations and longer schools days—two steps several high-performing charter schools have already taken.

Because charter schools are not required to follow union or district rules (such as those that dictate the length of a school day), they have more room to try innovative and perhaps more effective structures of teaching.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#233 Jan 22, 2014
As a nation, America has fallen far, far behind in education. The proof is in the statistics.

Among 30 developed countries, the United States ranks 25th in math and 21st in science. Not only that, but as other countries are improving their schools systems, education experts say the American system is getting worse.

"There are more than 2,000 dropout factories in our country," Davis explains. "A dropout factory is [a high school] where more than 40 percent of the kids do not graduate. And that means that we have 1.2 million kids without a diploma leaving our schools."

This is our problem as a nation, Oprah says. "We are not going to be able to compete in a global economy with 1.2 million kids dropping out every year," she says.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#234 Jan 22, 2014
Bianca is one of the children featured in Waiting For "Superman". She lives in Harlem, New York, and her mother, Nakia, pays $500 every month for her to attend the school across the street from their apartment.

"I don't care what I have to do. I don't care how many jobs I have to obtain, but she will go to college," Nakia says in the film.

However, when Nakia falls behind on some payments, it's Bianca who must pay the price. The day of her kindergarten graduation, the school doesn't allow Bianca to participate in the ceremony. The mother and daughter both end up in tears.

"That's a heartbreaking moment," Oprah says.

Nakia says she tried to find the right words to help Bianca understand the situation. "I told her:'You did graduate. You just weren't a part of the ceremony. You mattered just as much as anyone else did,'" Nakia says.

Davis says there are kids in every neighborhood just like Bianca. "There are mothers just like Nakia in every neighborhood," he says. "We have to imagine that there's a school in our neighborhood that we have to make ready for little girls like Bianca."

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#235 Jan 22, 2014
Photo: Getty Images

Clearly, our education system is in dire straits, so who's at fault? Michelle Rhee, chancellor of Washington, D.C., public schools, says children are not the problem, adults are.

"Everybody knows I love good teachers, and there are so many thousands of you—great ones—in this country," Oprah says. "So we're not talking about you if you are a good teacher."

Get insights and tips from 2010 Teachers of the Year.

Michelle says we can trace the problems back to an entirely different group of educators. "The reality is that we have some ineffective teachers, some bad teachers, who are in classrooms every day who are doing a disservice to our children," she says. "The data shows if [children] have three highly effective teachers in a row versus three ineffective teachers in a row, it can literally change their life trajectory."

Therefore, Michelle has dedicated her superintendency to turning the system on its head by closing dozens of failing schools and firing more than 1,000 ineffective educators. In the Learning Matters documentary series, footage from an actual firing shows just how serious Michelle is.

Oprah calls her "a warrior woman," but Michelle's actions have created a firestorm in the world of education. Still, Michelle remains committed to identifying and removing bad teachers. She even fired the principal at her own daughters' school.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#236 Jan 22, 2014
In Waiting For "Superman", Davis uncovers a secret code some principals use to deal with bad teachers, called "the dance of the lemons."

In this shocking scenario, principals simply trade off their bad teachers—their lemons—to principals at other schools, hoping that the lemon they receive isn't as bad as the lemon they got rid of.

"Why can't you just fire bad teachers?" Oprah asks.

"It's actually incredibly difficult to fire an ineffective teacher. You have to basically meet a criminal standard," Michelle says. In one case, Michelle says a teacher in her district would disappear from the classroom, skip work day after day and fall asleep in class, but when the district tried to terminate her, she only earned a 10-day suspension.

"Finally, last year we were able to terminate this person, but it was after [she] had been in the classroom for 10 years," Michelle says.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#237 Jan 22, 2014
If we eliminated our worst teachers, Bill says it would have a tremendous impact on America's worldwide standing. "If you do that," he says, "then we go from being basically at the bottom of the rich countries to being back at the top."

However, the current system isn't set up to allow such simple firings because tenure guarantees teachers their jobs for life—sometimes after just two years, say Michelle and Davis.

"It's automatic," Davis says. "You show up for two years, and you get tenure.

In Waiting For "Superman", Michelle tries to break apart the notion of tenure with a new proposal that would allow Washington, D.C., teachers to choose to give up their tenure in exchange for double their salary—up to $140,000. At the time, the union refused to put it to a vote.

“bar0ckalypse n0w”

Location hidden

#238 Jan 22, 2014
Emily is another child featured in Waiting For "Superman" who entered a lottery for the chance to attend a charter school rather than the public high school in her neighborhood. She was one of the lucky few who got chosen.

Because of something called "tracking," which many schools do, Emily explains that she would not have received the opportunity to take advanced classes.

Tracking is the term used to describe how schools group students based on their academic ability. Students who test well are placed on a higher track and in more challenging classes, while students who don't test as well are placed on a lower track and in classes where they often face lower expectations.

"Many families and their children are unaware that their academic future will be decided by a school official who will place them on a track," Davis says. "Lower tracks have lower expectations and often worse teachers, so students placed on lower tracks often find they are running fast but falling behind."

"I'm very smart and intellectual, but I don't test well," Emily says. "If I had gone to my neighborhood school, I would have been put in the low classes. I'd be on the road to failure."

Now, Emily is at Summit Prep, a charter school that does not track its students or group them based on academic ability.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melbourne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Word for Jews 15 min Dershowitz Berkowitz 1
Lauren Waterbury is a Sweathog (Apr '13) 9 hr Bleccchhh 16
The House of Israel According to Ehhh Jews Wed Rebbe Kay 22
Poor Persecuted Jews List Wed Meyer Polanski 1
John McCarthy of Florida Today a Commie Wed JEWSA Today 9
Jew Finds Swastika on His Pants Wed Mengele 5
Bill Mick is Going to Expose the Kosher Extorti... Wed Circle K 7

Melbourne Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance