Clear Channel eliminates Orlando-area traffic reporters

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Clear Channel Communications has eliminated the bulk of its Central Florida traffic team, continuing a string of layoffs at the company's local radio stations.
Comments
21 - 23 of 23 Comments Last updated Mar 3, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Change Agent

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2008

Brenda Mathews wrote:
My company, Clear Channel, the largest radio broadcasting company in the world, is undergoing a sale, and is cutting staff deeply across the country. The slashing continues every single day. I was one of 14 people that have had to pay the price here in Orlando. Clear Channel is eliminating live shifts here in Orlando and elsewhere. After being the #1 personality in middays in Orlando for years, I now find my self part time..and I'm voice tracking my shift on Magic. In plain English, that means, I'm not live on the radio - I've recorded the shift the day before, etc. Fortunately, I also record shifts for 3 stations in 3 other markets aside from Orlando, and including Lite Rock 99.3 in Melbourne. Jobs are being eliminated by Clear Channel, and those left are also dealing with double duty and no extra pay. It's a tough time in the local radio business right now with Ipod and satellite radio listening. It's my chosen field. I'm trying to make it work for me in 2008. It isn't easy.
brenda, i admire your courage to speak about your employer as matter of factly as you do regarding the downsizing and voice tracking. good luck in your future. you deserve better.
i understand the challenges in radio. i had a succesful career for many years, but left as the consolidation hit the fan... once the creativity was stifled and the homogenization of programming got underway it was time to leave. i cherish the career i had, i have great memories and can tell some outrageous stories, but i do not miss the business and don't regret my decision to leave. the quality of my life has improved dramatically.
as for the direction of radio... hey, its their company, they can do what they want, clear channel, as well as cox, cbs and abc, are reaping the benefits of what they have sown - like dwindling revenues and plummeting stock values.
the new media is self-programmed by users instead of program, music and news directors. all thanks to podcasts and mp3s i can pick and choose to download into my i-pod. satellite adds more diversity - yet its future is questionable, as well as HD radio for the same reason - interactivity and choice is key. consumers rule!
Jerry

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2008

I thought these comments were supposed to be about the 5 full time traffic reporters who lost their jobs and the fact that a lot of Orlando traffic is now done by staff people in Tampa. So much for accuracy.
Keith Williams

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

Attention All. Clear Channel now does Voice Tracking. One announcer does about 6 air shifts for different stations in different markets. There should be a law against this. They try to fool and insult the public tricking the dedicated listner that the radio personality is actually in the area and at the actual station. Shame shame on you Clear Channel for putting people out of work and making it virtualy impossible for someone who has great talent to break into the business of broadcasting.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Melbourne Discussions

Search the Melbourne Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 4 hr VET 2,391
west melbourne mcdonalds 12 hr rjc 1
King's legacy still cause of debate (Jan '14) Thu Abdurratln 926
Review: Lamplighter Village (Apr '10) Jul 23 DAVID 40
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Jul 22 nina roth 2,063
Our Club Satellite Beach Jul 19 bert 2
1 Dead After Melbourne Nightclub Shooting (Feb '13) Jul 16 nofufunolulu 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Melbourne Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Melbourne People Search