Tax rollback would put money in big p...

Tax rollback would put money in big pockets

There are 109 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 25, 2007, titled Tax rollback would put money in big pockets. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Some of Orlando's biggest landowners would pocket windfalls worth millions of dollars under a property-tax rollback pushed by the Florida House and now gaining support in the state Senate.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Cecil

East Berlin, CT

#2 Mar 25, 2007
Typical class warfare agitprop. I swear the average high school newspaper displays more maturity and sophistication than this rag.
david j

AOL

#3 Mar 25, 2007
Who cares if businesses get taxes back ?
Obviously all taxpayers have been
paying too much and now government
has been caught with it's hands in the
cookie jar.
It's about time we all learned to live
within our means........especially
taxing authorities.
Toadspad

Lincoln, NE

#4 Mar 25, 2007
Again the RICH will get richer and us little guys will get the shaft. Keep the property yax and tax the rich twice more then us little guys.
Why to got Ratpublicans as they are the main group pushing this STUPID idea
rwyatt

Polk City, FL

#5 Mar 25, 2007
"An across-the-board rollback is not fair," said Rep. Ron Saunders, D-Key West, who argues that it will hurt responsibly spending counties as much as lavishly spending ones. "It's a cookie-cutter approach."

why not it was an across the board rise.
Bob Orlando

Daytona Beach, FL

#6 Mar 25, 2007
ZERO SYMPATHY wrote:
Boy this will get the liberals all whooped up.
Course...the point to notice here is that what is NOT said (as normal by this trash tabloid), is that you're comparing apples to oranges........BUSINESSES vs "homeowners".
A business simply PASSES ALONG the higher taxes to the consumer......(read; "homeowner")....who has NOBODY to pass it along to........
Yeah Chief, and as soon as one of these "big businesses" gets a tax cut, the first thing they will do is pass that savings on to the customer, right?? Geez don't be an idiot. And why don't you save the "liberal" label until you know what you are talking about.
Orlando Boy

Orlando, FL

#8 Mar 25, 2007
Isn't the local govt short on tax revenue? Why dont they keep the property tax AND raise the sales tax? That should help us get our crappy roads fixed/build.
Conservative Republican

Mims, FL

#9 Mar 25, 2007
Because of spec buyers our homes on paper have doubled in the last couple years. Counties should simple cut all property taxes in half. Even here in Republican dominated Seminole County we know that will never happen. Republicans have become as bad as Democrats when it comes to spending money.
Tom

AOL

#10 Mar 25, 2007
The ASSESSMENTS are the problem they have skyrocketed in the last 5 years but only for non "Save Our Home insulated" properties. Either roll back ONLY those assessments. OR REPEAL Save Our Homes END OF PROBLEM! Make taxes FAIR for EVERYONE This is not rocket science it's SIMPLE FAIRNESS!
Concerned In Deland

Moss Point, MS

#11 Mar 25, 2007
One way for governement to cut the fat (i.e. spending our money) is to stop allowing city and county employees from driving governement owned vehicles home. I drive I-4 from Deland to Orlando and pass the same people ofter from the Sanford fire department to the city of Orlando police department here in Deland. Why do tax payers have to pay for this commute?
BobX

Lincoln, NE

#12 Mar 25, 2007
Why not limit the rollback to residential property or at least start with residential. Residential property is the property taking the biggest hit, meaning people will be out of a home. I don't think Disney will have to sell Cinderellas' castle because they can't pay their taxes. Business benefits the most, so they should pay the most.
I smell a RAT

Plant City, FL

#13 Mar 25, 2007
It would be nice to hear from some economists and tax experts on this matter. The fact is - if the tax collection is slashed in one area - the tax collection will go up in another area. It's a shell game. This shrewd businessman in Miami driving this bill will force the tax burden for services onto the individual taxpayer in Florida. They'll just double the sales tax and the working class stiffs in FLA will make up for the shortfall.

These municipalities, faced with a newly created staggering budget shortfall, are NOT going to cut costs. It will be a SHELL GAME .. and just where do you think the budget shortfall will be made up? On the backs of the working class men and women of this state.

These government bureaucrats are working to cut taxes on businesses, commercial property holders, and large landowners. Once this tax is cut and the source of revenue is slashed to a trickle Municipalities will be forced to find alternative sources of income. Ask yourselves, what sources remain to cover the shortfall in property taxes???????

State Income Tax. Right outta your paycheck - liberal and consverative, Republican and Democrat alike. STATE INCOME TAX.

Believe it. These geniuses are not going to raise the SALES TAX across the board and put the TOURISM ECONOMIES of FLORIDA at a competitive disadvantage. If Hotel rooms and ticket cost were to mushroom 10 to 20% tourists may go elsewhere.

Let's ask the O'ville Sentinel Star to do a POLL starting MONDAY MORNING asking readers if they would SUPPORT A STATE INCOME TAX on job earnings.

They gotta get the MONEY from someone folks. If it ain't commercial property owners or large land holders - whoose it gonna be?

Pick up the phone and call tour elected officals tomorrow and be heard.

If you think it will be GREAT! to save from $200 to $500 dollars a year on your property tax bill - reconsider. They'll just hit you with an increased sales tax and/or income tax and you'll be forced to pay the amount of taxes they DID NOT COLLECT from commercial businesses.

If this bill passes, at least the mass migration to Florida will stop.

This is terrible

Oviedo, FL

#14 Mar 25, 2007
This is not fair. Big bussinesses in central florida can afford to pay the taxes to help the community. It's not like they're paying most of their employees anything substantial. It's disgusting. I understand the argument of I pay more, so I should get more but seriously, do they really think they are hurt by these taxes when most of their employees cannot afford to be homeowners?
John

Clearwater, FL

#15 Mar 25, 2007
Here's an idea. Rollback to rate to what it was before the 200% increase in values for homes. Seems that that the local govs did well before the windfall. Roll it back, give homeowners break equal to the property tax jump, and have govt. live within their budgets. We've all seen the waste. Let's admit that they spend like drunken Pentagon generals and force them to change their spendful ways.
miffed

Hollywood, FL

#16 Mar 25, 2007
Toadspad wrote:
Again the RICH will get richer and us little guys will get the shaft. Keep the property yax and tax the rich twice more then us little guys.
Why to got Ratpublicans as they are the main group pushing this STUPID idea
This is just propaganda.. they are saying they can't give us tax relief because it might mean some wealthy people might get back some of his money too. Wealthy people are Entitled to their money and should not suffer a higher burden of taxes as anyone else. big corporations like Disney and Universal never ever pay taxes anyway. They just pass them off in the form of higher prices, generally they pass off more than the tax increase. Disney also has the advantage of being its own county, so most of the sales tax and real estate taxes collected in Disney go right back to Disney. The best solution is to abolish all property taxes. Land owners should be entitled to free use of their land.
miffed

Hollywood, FL

#17 Mar 25, 2007
Orlando Boy wrote:
Isn't the local govt short on tax revenue? Why dont they keep the property tax AND raise the sales tax? That should help us get our crappy roads fixed/build.
Because taxes are tooo damn high, they are short of money because they are spending too much. They are wasting the money on things we don't need and are ignoring the things we do need.
Tom

AOL

#18 Mar 25, 2007
Try making that $2000 instead of $200! You can't deny reality by minimizing tax savings and threatening a state income tax because your comfortable with things as they are. This may be typical of Save Our Homes insulated properties but not for many, many, many others. When tax bills for all Florida residents are fairly distributed only then can we can figure out tax saving. The tax inequity in Florida cannot prevail it will divide Floridians until it's fair for all. It's not going away, there was a tea party in Boston some 200+ years ago about the same issue!
miffed

Hollywood, FL

#19 Mar 25, 2007
BobX wrote:
Why not limit the rollback to residential property or at least start with residential. Residential property is the property taking the biggest hit, meaning people will be out of a home. I don't think Disney will have to sell Cinderellas' castle because they can't pay their taxes. Business benefits the most, so they should pay the most.
residential property is not taking the biggest hit, commercial property is. Commercial property is taxed on the basis of Best use. while homes are taxed on unrealized current value.the best thing would be to eliminate all property taxes and force our locals to work with what ever monies they have left.
Cut Government Spending

San Antonio, TX

#20 Mar 25, 2007
Im so tired of all the politicians raising taxes and then blaming the "rich" saying they are getting a windfall tax relief.

The state and counties have gotten a huge windfall in the huge runup of tax values on all real estate.

The taxes on my no homesteaded home went from $1500 to $8700 since 1996. I sure dont make five times the money and the house rents for around $900 per month. It doesnt take much sense to see this isnt working.

Its time the government cut back their spending, wasteful programs, and be held responsible. The taxes have become so high they have ruined the real estate market.

Go into any government office and see what lazy surly complaining they dont make enough money or have enough benefits bums they have working there. Most couldnt get a job at one half of what they are making now.

Its time we cut government back to some more manageable form and cut some of these entitlement programs the politicians promised with no idea where the money was coming from
Chris

Saranac, NY

#21 Mar 25, 2007
ZERO SYMPATHY wrote:
Course...the point to notice here is that what is NOT said (as normal by this trash tabloid), is that you're comparing apples to oranges........BUSINESSES vs "homeowners".
A business simply PASSES ALONG the higher taxes to the consumer......(read; "homeowner")....who has NOBODY to pass it along to........
So it's your position that as soon at this passes then Disney, Universal and Mariott will all lower their rates by 6-8%?

We'll see I guess.
Tax Reform

Moss Point, MS

#22 Mar 25, 2007
ZERO SYMPATHY wrote:
I agree, These tax breaks could translate into jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melbourne Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Meathead gets hit with the radio taser 3 hr cpu962 1
Royce Bartlett a Commie too! 4 hr BarKochba 1
Tara Williams (Dec '15) 14 hr trish 4
Munich 15 hr Klaus Fuchs 4
If You Dont Know Its The Jews Yet 16 hr FacebookFagin 1
Cpu962 18 hr An Idle Jew 3
A Book Solving 911 18 hr VeteransFor911Truth 24

Melbourne Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance