Tom Terry: Even in a slow season, we ...

Tom Terry: Even in a slow season, we can't get complacent

There are 25 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 31, 2008, titled Tom Terry: Even in a slow season, we can't get complacent. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

As the hurricane prognosticators give their predictions for another above-average season of storms in the Atlantic, I'm reminded of just how little these numbers actually mean to us.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bill Owl

Belgium, WI

#21 Aug 30, 2008
Yancey wrote:
<quoted text>
If you do, Channel 13 and Channel 35 (cable 3) are both pretty good. They aren't as high tech and just give you the information. No hype, no giant cursors, no Viper...just info, location, potential track.
I used to watch WESH down there , they had a fellow who was there for 25+ years doing the weather , and I liked him . But I guess he retired last year .
Yancey

Sanford, FL

#22 Aug 30, 2008
Bill Owl wrote:
<quoted text>I used to watch WESH down there , they had a fellow who was there for 25+ years doing the weather , and I liked him . But I guess he retired last year .
Charlie Stump used to be their weather guy in the sixties and when he retired, Dave Marsh, the guy you're thinking of, took over.
Both could do more with a grease pen and a wallmap than the weather people do now with Viper, Super Doppler, satellites, etc.
The major difference was that we didn't get bulletins on a daily basis when a transient thunderstorm was in the area. Now, we get blow by blow excitement for a small storm and coverage ad nauseum if we have more than a tropical storm.
We do need the projected path and timetable but as far as I known, everyone who lives here..or visits, knows the effects of a Cat 1,2,3,4,or 5 hurricane and what to do to prepare.
What we don't need is some poor slob in his/her LL Bean storm gear, standing at an intersection during 70 mph squalls. It serves no purpose but does endanger lives.
I'll take Dave Marsh or Mr. Stump and their grease pen anyday.
Wow

Allen, TX

#23 Aug 31, 2008
Yancey wrote:
<quoted text>
Charlie Stump used to be their weather guy in the sixties and when he retired, Dave Marsh, the guy you're thinking of, took over.
Both could do more with a grease pen and a wallmap than the weather people do now with Viper, Super Doppler, satellites, etc.
The major difference was that we didn't get bulletins on a daily basis when a transient thunderstorm was in the area. Now, we get blow by blow excitement for a small storm and coverage ad nauseum if we have more than a tropical storm.
We do need the projected path and timetable but as far as I known, everyone who lives here..or visits, knows the effects of a Cat 1,2,3,4,or 5 hurricane and what to do to prepare.
What we don't need is some poor slob in his/her LL Bean storm gear, standing at an intersection during 70 mph squalls. It serves no purpose but does endanger lives.
I'll take Dave Marsh or Mr. Stump and their grease pen anyday.
I watched WESH up until Hurricane Charley. Dave Marsh said it would be nothing more than a breeze... I took his word for it, didn't board up and ended up regretting it big time. I made the switch to WFTV after that.
Bill Owl

Belgium, WI

#24 Aug 31, 2008
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched WESH up until Hurricane Charley. Dave Marsh said it would be nothing more than a breeze... I took his word for it, didn't board up and ended up regretting it big time. I made the switch to WFTV after that.
Well you can't win them all I guess , none of them can . But i think Dave Marsh was probably one of the better weathermen in the country .
poor taxpayer

Carrollton, TX

#25 Sep 4, 2008
Bill Owl wrote:
<quoted text>Well you can't win them all I guess , none of them can . But i think Dave Marsh was probably one of the better weathermen in the country .
What does being a great weatherman mean? He points at a blue screen exceptionally well? Now I would say there are some great weather-BABES on TV but that sentiment has nothing to do with the weather.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melbourne Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Capturing the Friedmans Full Movie 9 hr Nokmim 6
Jews Told Not To Report Child Molestation 9 hr Lucky Lewinsky 4
Is aliens invaded the Earth would meathead clai... 10 hr Piel 3
The truth about the heroin trade 10 hr Piel 1
Heroin Trade Targets White Kids 10 hr Polansky 3
A Book Solving 911 10 hr Silverstein 8
If the sun was to go super nova would meathead ... 23 hr Piel 1

Melbourne Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance