Tom Terry: Even in a slow season, we ...

Tom Terry: Even in a slow season, we can't get complacent

There are 25 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 31, 2008, titled Tom Terry: Even in a slow season, we can't get complacent. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

As the hurricane prognosticators give their predictions for another above-average season of storms in the Atlantic, I'm reminded of just how little these numbers actually mean to us.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
William Lakey

Kissimmee, FL

#1 Aug 26, 2008
I would like Tom Terry to explain to me "why hurricans form near Africa travel west into the Gulf of Mexico before heading North and East" Weather patterns travel West to East. I would appriciate it if it appeared in the "Centinal " as I am unable to see every weather broadcast on TV. Thank You
Paul S Polgar

United States

#2 Aug 26, 2008
When you see lightning strike and time the thunder in seconds, How far is the storm?
Paul S Polgar

United States

#3 Aug 26, 2008
Need the info.
Wow

Allen, TX

#4 Aug 26, 2008
The distance between the lightning and the observer can be calculated by counting the number of seconds between the flash and the thunder and dividing by three (3) for distances in kilometers or by five (5) for distances in miles.
Wow

Allen, TX

#5 Aug 26, 2008
William Lakey wrote:
I would like Tom Terry to explain to me "why hurricans form near Africa travel west into the Gulf of Mexico before heading North and East" Weather patterns travel West to East. I would appriciate it if it appeared in the "Centinal " as I am unable to see every weather broadcast on TV. Thank You
To you I say it's all about steering currents.
Nathan

Sanford, FL

#6 Aug 26, 2008
Wow wrote:
The distance between the lightning and the observer can be calculated by counting the number of seconds between the flash and the thunder and dividing by three (3) for distances in kilometers or by five (5) for distances in miles.
If you can hear the thunder, you can be struck by lightning. It can strike 10 miles away from a storm. If you're fast enough...you can see the bolt coming and jump to the right or left.....uh huh. Fast enough being 90,000 ft. per second.
Wow

Allen, TX

#7 Aug 26, 2008
Nathan wrote:
<quoted text>
If you can hear the thunder, you can be struck by lightning. It can strike 10 miles away from a storm. If you're fast enough...you can see the bolt coming and jump to the right or left.....uh huh. Fast enough being 90,000 ft. per second.
The man asked a question I gave him an answer... everyone should know the 30/30 Rule for lightning. The 30/30 Rule states that people should seek shelter if the "Flash-To-Bang" delay (length of time in seconds between a lightning flash and its subsequent thunder), is 30 seconds or less, and that they remain under cover until 30 minutes after the final clap of thunder.
Wow

Allen, TX

#8 Aug 26, 2008
For the record I did not use any profanities in the above post, lol... I was trying to say "Flash-To-B-A-N-G".

lol
richard cranium

Clermont, FL

#9 Aug 27, 2008
scary terry says "head for the hills we are all gonna die!"
Bill Owl

Belgium, WI

#10 Aug 27, 2008
Who the H is Tom Terry ? Sounds like a character from a Silly Cartoon !
Yancey

Sanford, FL

#11 Aug 27, 2008
Bill Owl wrote:
Who the H is Tom Terry ? Sounds like a character from a Silly Cartoon !
He's a buffoon weathercaster on one of our local stations. He uses viper, super double, doppler radar and tries to scare the hell out of everyone by pointing out every damn storm cell that even blinks at the area.
He's a clown who's personal computer tracks are always different from the NOAA ones.( his are usually wrong).
With any luck, he'll leave us and come to a station near you. Enjoy.
Wow

Allen, TX

#12 Aug 27, 2008
Yancey wrote:
<quoted text>
He's a buffoon weathercaster on one of our local stations. He uses viper, super double, doppler radar and tries to scare the hell out of everyone by pointing out every damn storm cell that even blinks at the area.
He's a clown who's personal computer tracks are always different from the NOAA ones.( his are usually wrong).
You sound like you work for WESH....

Tom Terry is the only one around here who knows what the hell he's talking about.
Yancey

Sanford, FL

#13 Aug 28, 2008
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like you work for WESH....
Tom Terry is the only one around here who knows what the hell he's talking about.
I don't work for any of them but Channel nine is the most sensational when it comes to weather. Tom Terry is always WRONG when it comes to his "you people in Casselberry are going to die" predictions.
Glenn Richards, on 35 doesn't get excited, and gives you the weather as it is. No hype, no sky falling....unless it really is. Even then, he doesn't get all excited and start waving the arrow all over the screen.
Wow

Allen, TX

#14 Aug 28, 2008
Yancey wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't work for any of them but Channel nine is the most sensational when it comes to weather. Tom Terry is always WRONG when it comes to his "you people in Casselberry are going to die" predictions.
Glenn Richards, on 35 doesn't get excited, and gives you the weather as it is. No hype, no sky falling....unless it really is. Even then, he doesn't get all excited and start waving the arrow all over the screen.
I feel you are over sensationalizing WFTV and Tom Terry. He loves tracking storms, that's what makes him a good meteorologist. I have no complaints about Glenn Richards but personally prefer Tom Terry. I feel he's done an excellent job.
Barry

Sanford, FL

#15 Aug 28, 2008
Wow wrote:
<quoted text>
I feel you are over sensationalizing WFTV and Tom Terry. He loves tracking storms, that's what makes him a good meteorologist. I have no complaints about Glenn Richards but personally prefer Tom Terry. I feel he's done an excellent job.
I think he could do a decent job but he does get too carried away and is very sensational. His demeanor is one that instills a sense of doom and panic and does a disservice to the community.
He needs to save the hype for when it's necessary. I prefer other weathercasters and usually watch the weather channel with Steve Lyons. He gives the information but doesn't add the extra hype.
Then again, hype is what WFTV is known for.
Mothers Advice

Tampa, FL

#16 Aug 28, 2008
"The trouble with Weathermen is they are not always wrong."
Wow

Allen, TX

#17 Aug 28, 2008
Barry wrote:
<quoted text>
I think he could do a decent job but he does get too carried away and is very sensational. His demeanor is one that instills a sense of doom and panic and does a disservice to the community.
He needs to save the hype for when it's necessary. I prefer other weathercasters and usually watch the weather channel with Steve Lyons. He gives the information but doesn't add the extra hype.
Then again, hype is what WFTV is known for.
He never comes across as gloom and doom to me... but hey to each his own.
Bill Owl

Belgium, WI

#18 Aug 28, 2008
Yancey wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the info....but you can keep Tom Terry down there . When I get down there I'll have to watch the Clown !!
Yancey

Sanford, FL

#19 Aug 28, 2008
Bill Owl wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks for the info....but you can keep Tom Terry down there . When I get down there I'll have to watch the Clown !!
If you do, Channel 13 and Channel 35 (cable 3) are both pretty good. They aren't as high tech and just give you the information. No hype, no giant cursors, no Viper...just info, location, potential track.
Wow

Allen, TX

#20 Aug 29, 2008
Yancey wrote:
<quoted text>
If you do, Channel 13 and Channel 35 (cable 3) are both pretty good. They aren't as high tech and just give you the information. No hype, no giant cursors, no Viper...just info, location, potential track.
The thing with channel 35 is that they hardly talk about news. Every day they go on and one about nonsense... they will have a million stories about the same thing, example would be... "Is chocolate good for you?" "Wine good for your health?" There's so much of that and they mix it in with the regular news. It drives me crazy. Channel 2 does that too but at least they put it after the actual news and don't just mix it in together. As far as channel 13... well no comment.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melbourne Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
iheart Bankrupt May Not Make Another Year 3 hr Kenny Holiday 7
Jews Claim Musicians Have No Rights Tue Pink Floyd 2
Who Has Always Controlled Heroin? Jul 17 Sassoon Family 2
400 Charged in Health Care Fraud Oy Vey! Jul 17 Efraim Diveroli 9
Scottish Costume Party Goes Awry Jul 17 Mengele 1
Entire Jewish Town In Welfare Fraud Jul 12 Glenn Schmekel 7
Governor Calls for Florida State Health Crisis Jul 12 BillMick Silent 4

Melbourne Beach Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance