Retailer files lawsuit against Ethan Allen

Feb 13, 2008 Full story: Connecticut Post 30

“They did not build the business in these markets. Our client did”

A Florida furniture retailer has filed a lawsuit against Ethan Allen Interiors Inc., seeking $500 million in damages. via Connecticut Post

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CA Labor Laws Rule

United States

#1 Mar 13, 2008
Ethan Allen treats their employees like crap. How can this company move forward when they do not have any respect for thier employees. The only thing they are effient at is keeping up their high turn over rate. They force the employees to sign a contract stating that they have the right to take away commission earned for any reason they see fit. They are making money at the expense of their employees that are the pulse of the company. You would be treated better in a sweat shop. Its no suprise that they have so many labor board claims. Best of luck to all that work there - To bad you have excepted being treated like a beaten down step child. I hope Ethan Allen gets the crap sued out of them for the way they treat their employees.
I disagree in PA

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Apr 20, 2008
As a contracted & commissioned interior designer for the company, I have to disagree. The contract is written to protect both the company AND the design associate. It is the potential employee's choice to sign on the dotted line, accepting or rejecting the position. I have a feeling you had a bad experience with poor management. In the 8 years with the company, I have NEVER heard of a designer losing a sale for any unjust reason.

“What?”

Since: Apr 08

Palm Bay

#3 Apr 20, 2008
$500 million...DANG!!
I dis-disagree

Woodbury, CT

#4 Apr 20, 2008
-- It is the potential employee's choice to sign on the dotted line, accepting or rejecting the position.

Let's hear your opinions again after your NEXT contract includes a 24/7 'cornholing' clause...

A "contracted & commissioned interior designer", huh? This sound familiar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-Ark ?
UNSURE OF CHANGES

Pleasanton, CA

#6 May 21, 2008
currently employed in management with EA, I do have to agree in the fact that EA has a high turnover rate. I know first hand that they are trying to bring that to a hault! There are so many changes occurring that I myself am very scared I wont have a job tomorrow! 3 stores have been closed in this area and I just found out that one more has downsized. Is that good?
Where is this economy going, that is the question. I would leave a well respected Co. such as EA alone and if you have had a bad experience with the company, I am sure you are at fault as well? It works both ways! Blame it on BUSH!
Former Employee

Apex, NC

#7 Jun 6, 2008
I agree with poster "CA Labor.."
Worked for EA many years and have seen a lot of things and a lot of people come and go.
People in top positions are real pieces of work, they have fired the most talented people, or made their life so miserable that they had to leave.
Sometimes it felt like being in a high school.
And by the way, did you know that most of the EA furniture is now made in China? Yep, greed, greed, and greed. Ethan Allen (the patriot) is probably spinning in his coffin right now.
Unforbidden Truth

Upland, CA

#8 Jun 23, 2008
As a former employee of EA. I have been told to lie, do whatever it takes, but make the sale. I feel sorry for the new comers who just got out of school and think that they have joined a fantasic compamy. In the old days, it was. I was and EA kid. My mother thought me well. It just that now it's run by the Chinese, and the global market. The quality of the furniture is the worst. I felt horrible selling pruducts that I know were made in china. They have lost respect in the world of designers and clients. Customer service is the worst I have seen. You can wait until you teeth fall out until a tech comes out to see what's wrong, and them some. It will be hard for all those employees to were terminated on June 18th, 2008. They worked hard for the company. they earned respect and gave 110% always. But at the last day. Money spoke and all those high earners were let go. For what to let the young inexperience so called Interior designer take up the slack. Good luck - someday you will be writing a post like this one too.
Former Employee too

Eden, NC

#9 Jun 23, 2008
Look, I am a former employee...and I think EA is a wonderful company. They have been making alot of transitions with their people, from being in sales to being interior designers. That, in and of itself is going to produce some unhappy "former employees"...but, it makes sense that some people will have to move on because, they do not have the design education and design skills that this forward thinking company is looking for. It is sad that as the company focuses on becoming known as a design center...that those without the talent, cannot move forward...but, also understandable...as EA focuses in on their goal of being known for their professionalism in the field of Interior Design.

By the way...I was never "told to lie"...I wouldn't have, and I didn't...I never had any reason to do so. Customers can usually deal with the truth...not excuses.

And yes, SOME of the product in made overseas...but, not the majority. EA has many design centers overseas, as well...so those that live in other countries have the opportunity to buy American.

I left EA for personal, family reasons...and, when I can go back to work...I hope to go back there...I have been an Interior Designer...yes, a real one with a degree and experience of over 25 years...and found the work and company, rewarding. It is understandable that some people are not going to be happy with the changes that are taking place...that is always a given with change...however, the company has to do what is right for their company goals/objectives...and what they ultimately believe will make them the company they...and their shareholders...want them to be!
Former Employee

Annapolis, MD

#10 Jun 27, 2008
"...nhappy "former employees"...but, it makes sense that some people will have to move on because, they do not have the design education and design skills that this forward thinking company is looking for..."

Pleeeeease, forward thinking? The only forward thinking they do is coming up with new ways to rip off customers and employees.
former employee

Fairplay, MD

#11 Jun 28, 2008
Chairman Farooq Kathwari, total compensation of $18,633,795 in 2006 - from Company SEC filings
In case you wondered where a little of the savings from closing plants, buying Chinese furniture and failing to pay overtime went.

Since: Jul 08

Woodstock, GA

#12 Jul 6, 2008
Former Employee too wrote:
Look, I am a former employee...and I think EA is a wonderful company. They have been making alot of transitions with their people, from being in sales to being interior designers. That, in and of itself is going to produce some unhappy "former employees"...but, it makes sense that some people will have to move on because, they do not have the design education and design skills that this forward thinking company is looking for. It is sad that as the company focuses on becoming known as a design center...that those without the talent, cannot move forward...but, also understandable...as EA focuses in on their goal of being known for their professionalism in the field of Interior Design.
By the way...I was never "told to lie"...I wouldn't have, and I didn't...I never had any reason to do so. Customers can usually deal with the truth...not excuses.
And yes, SOME of the product in made overseas...but, not the majority. EA has many design centers overseas, as well...so those that live in other countries have the opportunity to buy American.
I left EA for personal, family reasons...and, when I can go back to work...I hope to go back there...I have been an Interior Designer...yes, a real one with a degree and experience of over 25 years...and found the work and company, rewarding. It is understandable that some people are not going to be happy with the changes that are taking place...that is always a given with change...however, the company has to do what is right for their company goals/objectives...and what they ultimately believe will make them the company they...and their shareholders...want them to be!
Oh you funny funny little person....I am glad for you. The proverbial EA Kool-Aid drink has worked wonders . There are going to be those that fit into that unethical/prejudicial/insensit ive circle just fine. Without batting an eye. Not even giving a second thought to the reality of the ever shifting tide that Mr. FK passes off as some new & incredibly brilliant marketing initiative. I too have worked for the company (hire, resignation, rehire) but the 2nd time around could only put up with so much of the extra hours, inferior product and service center issues, denial of break times and forced to work on my "days off" to finish projects. Basically and in a nutshell ETHAN ALLEN SUCKS and a major coup is in order!!! and your comment about those lacking the education and skills to move forward...Newsflash: Your job is (was)more glorified sales than design and if you don't know that then your "design degree" is probably worth the paper it's printed on. Good luck to you when you return....
Eric Hall

San Diego, CA

#13 Jul 12, 2008
I'm not an employee, but a customer. I haven't bought furniture in around 10 yrs. When I decided to replace my furniture I went to Ethan Allen expecting quality customer service as I have gotten at Nordstrom when shopping for clothes. It's turned out to be a horrible experience. One piece I bought was great but the other had obvious design flaws which were not apparent until I got the furniture into my home. Ethan Allen's response was "We built it to spec, there are no manufacturing defects, have a nice day and go away". In the process an Ethan Allen technician stopped by to try and remedy the situation. His answer was to tape card board to the piece in an effort to hide the design defect. Now I've got a piece of furniture with cardboard taped to it. Thanks for nothing Ethan Allen.

Eric
eliminated

Durham, NC

#15 Aug 13, 2008
Funny that no one has stated the obvious. On June 18th, 2008 Ethan Allen eliminated over 500 retail employees. These people had been with the company for many many years. They were brought into an office and told that they were not being "invited" to stay with the company for changes that were taking place. These changes have also affected clients. When are they going to learn from their mistakes?
949elizabethb

Laguna Niguel, CA

#16 Aug 13, 2008
Anyone who feels that were fired ,laid off etc. unjustly Please contact distinctivedzine@gmail.com for info that may be of some use to you.
949elizabethb

Laguna Niguel, CA

#17 Aug 13, 2008
oops wrong email distinctivedezine@gmail is correct left out one E
jones

Trumbull, CT

#18 Nov 26, 2008
Chairman Farooq Kathwari, total compensation of $18,633,795 in 2006 - from Company SEC filings
In case you wondered where a little of the savings from closing plants, buying Chinese furniture and failing to pay overtime went.
Janice Lang

East Rutherford, NJ

#19 Jan 29, 2009
ETHAN ALLEN SUXS! THATS THE BOTTOM LINE. NOT ONLY DO THEY SUK BUT THEY ARE PREJUDICE. I WALKED INTO A STORE AND WAS TREATED NOT SO NICELY! THE JEWISH MAN WAS OBVIOUSLY VERY PREJUDICE AGAINST THE FACT THAT I AM ORIENTAL. I WALKED OUT AND WENT TO MACY'S WHERE I GOT MUCH BETTER QUALITY AND SERVICE.
jordan moss

East Rutherford, NJ

#21 Feb 1, 2009
Yes, I agree. I have had the same experience...what store was it you went into?
Janice Lang wrote:
ETHAN ALLEN SUXS! THATS THE BOTTOM LINE. NOT ONLY DO THEY SUK BUT THEY ARE PREJUDICE. I WALKED INTO A STORE AND WAS TREATED NOT SO NICELY! THE JEWISH MAN WAS OBVIOUSLY VERY PREJUDICE AGAINST THE FACT THAT I AM ORIENTAL. I WALKED OUT AND WENT TO MACY'S WHERE I GOT MUCH BETTER QUALITY AND SERVICE.
jordan moss

East Rutherford, NJ

#22 Feb 1, 2009
I had the same problem...what store did you go into?
jordan marsh

Newtown, CT

#23 Feb 6, 2009
I heard that Ethan Allen failed to make its 401k match contribution to employees this year. This is on top of its tax filing failure. How long does the company have?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Melbourne Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Lamplighter Village (Apr '10) Nov 24 Sharon 156
No Strings Attached Sex in Melbourne (Mar '14) Nov 23 drawdown 9
Looking for a scumbag by the name of Michael An... Nov 19 Never forgotten 1
New judge assigned to Needelman-BlueWare trial (Oct '13) Nov 14 Jew boy 8
Sentencing for man in road-rage shooting Nov 13 Baruch Goldstein 1
Review: Elite Angler's Service (Apr '13) Nov 11 DNRBAKER 72
Florida State student dies on China study program (May '12) Sep '14 LaLouise 53
Melbourne Beach Dating
Find my Match

Melbourne Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Melbourne Beach News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Melbourne Beach

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:44 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:44PM
Breaking Down Dolphins Game Plan vs. Jets
NBC Sports 7:53 PM
Bills awarded returner Marcus Thigpen on waivers
Bleacher Report 8:32 PM
Miami Dolphins vs. New York Jets: What Are Experts Saying About New York?
NBC Sports 8:12 AM
Colts make a change at cornerback
Bleacher Report12:04 PM
Complete Preview for Bucs vs. Bengals