Gay Christians meet with Rev. Bill Hy...

Gay Christians meet with Rev. Bill Hybels and others at Willow ...

There are 66 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 8, 2008, titled Gay Christians meet with Rev. Bill Hybels and others at Willow .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

For Dotti Berry, healing the rift between religious conservatives and gay-marriage advocates could be as simple as replacing both sides' stereotypes with a human face.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Gay Christian

El Dorado Hills, CA

#76 Jun 17, 2008
I also share your experience, Lagrange neighbor. But life is so much better on the other side of the closet!

I grew up in a God-fearing home, attended a fundamentalist Baptist Church, served as a youth group leader, sunday school teacher, Good News Club director, worship leader, etc.

I'm the product of a christian high school. I attended a conservative Bible college, and graduated w/ honors from a christian liberal arts college (w/ dual degrees in Bible Studies and Christian Counseling). My parents were neither abusive or overbearing or overprotecting. Every message that I heard about gay people growing up was negative. I was told unequivocally that acting on my same sex feelings would cast me out of God's kingdom.

I tried everything...and I mean deny/dismiss/condemn/have "victory" over my attraction to other men. At the end of the day, I was still a gay man. After 20 years, a failed marriage, a broken spirit, thousands of dollars wasted on reparative therapy, suicide attempts, and all the rest, I realized that when the Bible says that nothing can separate me from the love of God in Christ Jesus, nothing means NOTHING.

I began to learn to love myself and came to understand that my sexuality is gift from God that I need to honor, respect, and cherish. It makes me no better, but no worse, than the heterosexual person that sat in the pew next to me.

For the person that said sin is still sin, right? Take the time to study the arguments carefully before you simply cast an accusation like that. And get to people like me, who have struggled with this their whole lives.

And don't bother with the hate the sin, love the sinner crap. God's central imperative is that you simply love. She'll take care of the rest.

Hope, ID

#77 Jun 21, 2008
Unconditionally Loved wrote:
...Judge not, lest ye be judged.
And the world will be a much better place.
Why are YOU judging? Isn't your entire post a judgment? I believe that would make you a hypocrite, but who am I to judge?

#78 Aug 12, 2008
This might seem controversial but I consider you to be a bald faced liar. I believe you are lying to yourself as much as you are lying to us. I say this simply because after twenty years of being around gays I have come to recognise the lies they tell themselves and others.

As a young Christian I believed the lie that gays were simply born that way. You can imagine my shock as gay friends who I had never witnessed too (because they had told me they had been born that way) started becoming Christians and became heterosexual in their desires and behaviour.

What you are telling me is that God is a liar. I know nothing of your experiences but having walked with God for thirty years and having seen him deliver men and women from homosexuality as well as having learned the hard way that His word is the TRUTH all I can say is fall on your knees my brother and if you truthfully confess your sins and beg his forgiveness and mercy HE WILL DELIVER YOU!

Arlington Heights, IL

#82 Aug 13, 2013
It breaks my heart to read the first two comments.

The second one, which has received many responses from other commenters, is from "A Concerned Christian" whose philosophy on dealing with sinners fails to recall the Acts 2 church and the parts of the Gospel where Jesus ate with sinners and tax collectors. The more I research the relations between the LGBT community and the Church (and keep in mind, folks, these aren't mutually exclusive), the more I see this highly religious and very non-Christlike philosophy.

But a lot of us seemed to overlook the first comment by anarky99. This comment shows a perspective from outside of the church that I think is just as destructive to the concept of coming to an agreement. With the way a lot of conservative Christians are portrayed in the media, I can see how people can be jaded and leery to a church's attempt to sit down with LGBT Christians. I also know that there are a handful of influential "churches" and misguided organizations (cough, WBC, cough) that preach a message of homophobia. But I wonder if anarky has actually researched Willow's views on same-sex attraction. Bill's made it very clear that Willow isn't anti-ANYBODY, and all are welcome to start the journey towards following Christ with all their hearts, minds, souls, and strength at his church.

I firmly believe that in any conflict, neither side is completely correct or completely at fault. Brené Brown said, "Blame is a way to discharge pain and discomfort." It's not a solution. It doesn't move us forward. So for those of us in the anti-Christian LGBT camp, the hyperconservative anti-LGBT camp, and all of us in between, remember that the people on the other side are just that: people.

That's all I've got. God bless, everyone.

Elk Grove Village, IL

#83 Aug 16, 2013
BH will meet with anybody that can bring in more money, which is really what WC is all about anyway. A big money sponge for the top brass.

Elgin, IL

#84 Aug 19, 2013
a Concerned Christian wrote:
This breaks my heart that a god-fearing church would meet with these ambassadors of sodomy. There is no compromising with Satan. He must be resisted and condemned by Christians. We wrestle against powers and principalities. Those that have CHOSEN to sin against God's will must never be allowed in the Houses of the Lord. "Tolerance" of abomination is not tolerance but acceptance of evil. I pray that the good Christian people of Willow Creek reject this entourage of evil into their holy communion. The devil has a glib tongue and will lead many astray in the last days. It is written. Beware.
It is very sad to hear all of the hate in the persons response. Typical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medinah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Asset Recovery Associates ARA Inc 13 hr David Benson9 138
What happened to the Hillside Shopping Center? (Mar '08) Mon Scrubber59 608
News Suburban investor charged with bank fraud Mon MOSAIC sinkholes 28
News Police Blotter: Warrants and Retail Theft Arrests (Dec '12) Sun Anonymous 8
News Hungry for Hot Food Oct 18 WILDBILL 3
News Whatever happened to ... the Chicagoland versio... (Apr '09) May '16 rnsue120767 16
News Ryder Cup brings golf elite & tourism to Chicag... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Rydercup help 1

Medinah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Medinah Mortgages