Gay Christians meet with Rev. Bill Hy...

Gay Christians meet with Rev. Bill Hybels and others at Willow ...

There are 66 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 8, 2008, titled Gay Christians meet with Rev. Bill Hybels and others at Willow .... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

For Dotti Berry, healing the rift between religious conservatives and gay-marriage advocates could be as simple as replacing both sides' stereotypes with a human face.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
anarky99

Chicago, IL

#1 Jun 8, 2008
Don't expect much movement from so called evangelical churches. They are fundamentalist at their core.
a Concerned Christian

United States

#2 Jun 8, 2008
This breaks my heart that a god-fearing church would meet with these ambassadors of sodomy. There is no compromising with Satan. He must be resisted and condemned by Christians. We wrestle against powers and principalities. Those that have CHOSEN to sin against God's will must never be allowed in the Houses of the Lord. "Tolerance" of abomination is not tolerance but acceptance of evil. I pray that the good Christian people of Willow Creek reject this entourage of evil into their holy communion. The devil has a glib tongue and will lead many astray in the last days. It is written. Beware.
Bill Parcels

Orlando, FL

#5 Jun 8, 2008
Christ met with sinners. Beware of those who feel they have the power or right to pass judgment on others! Those are the ones Satan uses the most as that was exactly what he did before God kicked him out from heaven, continuously passing judgment on others in front of God!
Jack the Lad

Chicago, IL

#7 Jun 8, 2008
a Concerned Christian wrote:
This breaks my heart that a god-fearing church would meet with these ambassadors of sodomy. There is no compromising with Satan. He must be resisted and condemned by Christians. We wrestle against powers and principalities. Those that have CHOSEN to sin against God's will must never be allowed in the Houses of the Lord. "Tolerance" of abomination is not tolerance but acceptance of evil. I pray that the good Christian people of Willow Creek reject this entourage of evil into their holy communion. The devil has a glib tongue and will lead many astray in the last days. It is written. Beware.
Hahahahahahaha. Oh man that was funny!

That was satire, right?
Hmmm

North Aurora, IL

#8 Jun 9, 2008
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Phather Phleger

United States

#9 Jun 9, 2008
Actually, Willowcreek is like Christianity-Lite, so don't confuse these people with Evangelicals. But, what's not to love about Willowcreek, where else can you go to church in a cafe?
zermatt

Schaumburg, IL

#12 Jun 9, 2008
I bet that you have praised past religious leaders for their dedication and sensitivity, but you were unaware of their hidden homosexuality. These “holy men” may have delivered blistering sermons on the evils of not being heterosexual, and yet, they were engaged in acts that might repulse your simple mind.

It seems to be that those who complain the most about the existence of gays have secret gay lives. Is this true for you?
Chijac8

AOL

#13 Jun 9, 2008
It's time to close all churches as they are "ungod like." It's like people who give to panhandlers. They think they are doing good, but they really are not. Most churches seem to think that gays are flexible in their sexuality. They are not!
Drew

San Jose, CA

#15 Jun 9, 2008
Meeting with sinners is what you do every time you go to Church.

It is the self righteous person that looks down on Christians that go to the Church gathering.

If Bill Hybels is meeting with Gays it no doubt is in that sense. He meets with lots of people that are living in a way that is theologically labeled as sinful.

Since there is no effective adulterer or murderers lobby group they have to come individually.

Individual accountability is the nature of the Christian faith. We acknowledge our inability to live a life pleasing to God and surrender to His offer to redeem us.

That said Christians typically turn away from sin and the associations that would lead to it. But being of a sinful nature Christians are constantly turning away from their Savior and need to repent and ask for the forgiveness of daily sins.

I am guessing that the Gay group wants a pass on the repenting part of the process...but that is what is uniquely Christian. There are people that call themselves Christian but aren't. That is called discernment not judgement.

So if Bill Hybels is meeting with them, we can only hope he is helping them to see their need of Christ as He is, not as they would like Him to be.

Since: Oct 07

Chicago, IL

#21 Jun 9, 2008
Jesus loved every one, not just the self righteous like yourself. Jesus was able to separate the sin from the sinner, why can't you?

If you are not sin free, then I hope you are never allowed inside a Church again.

For someone that seems to know about the Christian teachings, it is time to re-read the Bible and see what is actually taught by Jesus.
John R

Lake Mary, FL

#22 Jun 9, 2008
Falwell-In-Hell wrote:
You "christians" are pathetic hate mongers and no better than the godless Muslims that consider their creed of deviance and shame to be their god.
Why would anyone with a mind of their own and an education beyond the fourth grade put stock in a childish cult like Willow Creek ? Bubbling fountains, cafe's, and scones with raisins while in another part of the complex, a 'religious' service is going on to the beat of a MARIMBA BAND.
HORSESHIT.
ToHell with you all.
What's the matter with a little music and feast while hearing a good message?

While I'm not a member or Christian, I do attend on occassion. I've never heard a bad word spoken against any person or group; people are friendly; the music's usually good; and it's a very positive atmosphere.

It's a peaceful place to spend some time and hear a positive message.
Megan

Delaware, OK

#23 Jun 9, 2008
And yet Jesus, your Lord and Savior, met with all manner of sinners, including tax collectors, soldiers, the blind and lame, and women. He broke bread with them and taught them. St. Paul was himself a tax collector before he was, as it is called today, "saved", and he went on to become one of the most prolific evangelists. Jesus also said before he was taken to die, "Love one another as I have loved you," yet you refuse to love others that are different. How is it that you can believe this, but yet do not believe that the leaders of Willow Creek should not meet with the leaders of Soulforce? Your speech sounds like that of a Pharisee.
Mark

United States

#24 Jun 9, 2008
Drew wrote:
Meeting with sinners is what you do every time you go to Church.
It is the self righteous person that looks down on Christians that go to the Church gathering.
If Bill Hybels is meeting with Gays it no doubt is in that sense. He meets with lots of people that are living in a way that is theologically labeled as sinful.
Since there is no effective adulterer or murderers lobby group they have to come individually.
Individual accountability is the nature of the Christian faith. We acknowledge our inability to live a life pleasing to God and surrender to His offer to redeem us.
That said Christians typically turn away from sin and the associations that would lead to it. But being of a sinful nature Christians are constantly turning away from their Savior and need to repent and ask for the forgiveness of daily sins.
I am guessing that the Gay group wants a pass on the repenting part of the process...but that is what is uniquely Christian. There are people that call themselves Christian but aren't. That is called discernment not judgement.
So if Bill Hybels is meeting with them, we can only hope he is helping them to see their need of Christ as He is, not as they would like Him to be.
Nicely said.
BUBBA

Vernon Hills, IL

#25 Jun 9, 2008
I am happy to see that Mr. Bakker is following in his parents footsteps.
Soon he will have his own Mega-Church,T.V. show,and a lover on the side.
mjj

Arlington Heights, IL

#26 Jun 9, 2008
OK - I am a Christian and not homosexual. I prefer to believe and follow the message or love, tolerance and accetance that Christ preached on.

Christ also went against the "religious Leaders" and their rhetoric of the time and their restrictive and non-inclusive structures (all religiously sanctioned.

Christ championed the outcast, downtrodden and persecuted of his generation. People who chose to follow his message were tortured, murdered, etc.

Wrap yourself in your religion. It is your civil right here in the US. Let it blind you to reality - that's your right too.

When you need compassion, assistance, tolerance. I'll be there to extend a hand. But don't look for it from your bretheren.

Shakes head in dismay
Dienne

United States

#27 Jun 9, 2008
"Betty Schmidt, an elder at Willow Creek, described Willow as a hospitable congregation, even though the church does not accept gay and lesbian members who don't stay celibate."

Does the church accept unmarried straight members who don't stay celibate? Does the church accept married straight members who are involved in adulterous relationships?
Ramon

AOL

#28 Jun 9, 2008
The idea that one cannot see the forest because of the trees can be brought to light in this type of conversation.
All the Bible states is something very simple. O R D E R. The way of creation is not a guessing game as we have made it to be. The Word of God is clear, but organize religion without the truth, meaning secularism
mated to religion has brought ambiguity to the table. O R D E R please.
Dienne

United States

#29 Jun 9, 2008
Phather Phleger wrote:
Actually, Willowcreek is like Christianity-Lite, so don't confuse these people with Evangelicals. But, what's not to love about Willowcreek, where else can you go to church in a cafe?
Don't be fooled. This "Christianity-Lite" stuff that these megachurches peddle is just a scam to get people in the door. Once you've been going a while, there is increasing pressure to "accept Christ" and become a member. Once you do so, you (gradually) realize that these megachurches are just as evangelical and fundamentalist as any Southern Baptist church (in fact, several of them are Southern Baptist (although I don't know about Willowcreek), they just don't advertise that fact too much).
Jim

Evanston, IL

#31 Jun 9, 2008
I wonder if any of the people at the meeting were wearing clothes made of two different fabrics. I mean, Lev 19:19 clearly states that practice is a sin. I also wonder if their slaves were present at the meeting. The bible's tacit endorsement of slavery would make not owning slaves a sin, right? I mean, if I sleep with a slave girl that is promised to another then I'd be sinning, although I could trade a ram for repentance according to Lev 19:20.

All sinning is equal, right?
rjinchi

Chicago, IL

#32 Jun 9, 2008
the very thing that makes someone gay is the same thing that makes someone straight. Its who you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medinah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Neo-Nazi Pedophile Steve Turpel in Arlington He... (Nov '10) 8 hr Gibbon 31
murder (Jan '10) Jun 23 Vince 16
1990 Villa Park Murder (Oct '15) Jun 22 Former Lombard Sh... 6
Review: Asset Recovery Associates ARA Inc Jun 22 Justin Black 35
News Ashamed of people of Lombard (Jul '09) Jun 18 Aminapezy_1 7
News Judge gives transgender students voice in Chica... Jun 17 TerriB1 1
News 5 charged in rape of teen (Oct '08) Jun 16 Healed and Happy 58
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Medinah Mortgages