Review: Cana Wine & Martini Bar

Review: Cana Wine & Martini Bar

Posted in the Medina Forum

Mike L

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Jan 9, 2009
Great place for food and drinks. Nice atmosphere. Definitely a place to take somebody to if you want to impress them.
Jay G

Medina, OH

#2 Mar 3, 2009
I have only been there once, but my experience was great. You wouldn't know it was there unless you were told, but once inside, it looks very cosmopolitan. The upstairs is very swank, with several couches and a scene resembling something out of Sex and the City, while the downstairs is more conventional. We didn't hang out upstairs with all of the martini drinkers, but sitting at a beautifully-crafted, top-shelf bar in the bottom level, my party found ourselves having a great time, drinking great beer and liquor, and thoroughly enjoying the upscale appetizers and atmosphere. The music downstairs was quiet enough to chat, but loud enough to hear, and hit the mark with 70's/80's classic rock fans.

To top it off, the owner came over and thanked us for attending.

We thanked him then, and I thank him again for bringing a slice of the big city to little Medina.
Debbie D -Medina OH

Medina, OH

#3 Mar 26, 2009
Love the drinks and atmosphere. Too many favorite flavors of martinis to name just one!
Saturday night jazz is wonderful and packed!
Highly recommended for those seeking the better life without the attitude!
Marilyn

Columbia, MD

#4 Apr 3, 2009
Our recent visit to Medina was lovely. Cana's provided us with the familiar feel of the East coasts way of entertaining. Upscale, welcoming atmosphere. I would give it a five star rating.
Shane

Medina, OH

#5 Jun 15, 2009
I have been going for a few weeks in a row. Great place to relax after work. The staff is great and the owners are on-site. Tom will regularly have a conversation with you, and even the chef "Cookie" will come out and talk about recipes. I'm just sorry I actually live in Ashland so it isn't convenient for my wife to come up. Also they aren't open on Sundays, which could be a contingency of their liquor license. Just an FYI in case you were planning on going on a Sunday.
Jennifer L

Medina, OH

#6 Jan 23, 2010
Oh my gosh! I went on a date at Cana last night! It was beautiful! The server Suzanne was amazing and very helpful with my choice of beverage. She knows a bunch about martinis! The bartenders John and Justin were so fun to watch at the bar, after my date and I moved to the bar from the amazingly comfortable couches in the lounge. They were very funny and had great interaction with the guests and eachother! Tom, the owner spent a great amount of time chatting with us and was very nice! I am so glad we found this bar, and we will recomend it to everyone we know! Go to this place! It's like new York city in the mid west!
MedinaResHopper

North East, MD

#7 Apr 25, 2010
I've been to Cana numerous times and have now decided I will not be returning. The GOOD : The renovated warehouse that is Cana is extremely charming, modern and chic. A rare find in the area. The martini list is extensive and most are delish. They are also usually happy to come up with a new drink on the spot or make one that is off menu. The BAD : Service is often lacking. Aside from being slow, you will frequently encounter attitude from the staff. The food (appetizers) are mediocre at best. The drinks prices are hefty ($9 for a martini). On more than one occasion my party has been charged for more drinks than were actually ordered / consumed. This seems to happen with frequency. The owner (Tom) is very inexperienced and it shows. He is quick tempered and lacks even basic customer service skill. I once mentioned to Tom he should stay open later and he made it clear in a hostile way that he doesn't want to deal with "late night drunk *ssh***s ". I'm not sure why someone with that attitude would choose to own a bar. Management does NOT treat regular customers well and actually seem to show distain for their loyalty. There is a VERY HIGH employee turn over rate and in asking after bartenders / servers who have left .... the response has always been unflattering and unprofessional. I have personally witnessed employees being treated poorly by management several times.
Sadly, Cana could have been a huge hit in the right hands. But the management misses the mark on many counts.
ccc

Medina, OH

#8 Apr 29, 2010
I think you meant disdain, not distain.
G daddy

New York, NY

#9 May 3, 2010
Sounds like a disgruntled employee to me. I go to Cāna and always have an amazing time and the staff is great fun to watch!
Nik

North East, MD

#10 Jul 7, 2010
i'm sure the list of disgruntled employees is growing. if they were treated better and put on payroll you wouldn't get random bad reviews. just a thought. although cana probably wont be in business too much longer. everytime i pass its dead. guess people are catching on that its not as nice as it seems at first. to the person who posted aboout Suzanne she isnt a server, honey, shes the owners wife.
Thom

Mansfield, OH

#11 Sep 11, 2011
I visited Cana on the recommendation of my friends from Medina. I'm from out of town and travel fairly extensively, so I have an idea of what's "out there." I had good, attentive service (on a Friday evening), enjoyed the wonderful, homemade sangria and hanky-panks and one of the owner's made it to my table to welcome me near the end of my visit. Decor is professionally done and there was a decent crowd on-hand, so I plan on returning when I'm in the area. One thought - on your Web site, the business hours should be posted 'cause if they are, I couldn't find them. Again, thanks for a good experience.
Jay

Avon Lake, OH

#12 Mar 2, 2012
Been to Cana on several occasions and the only thing that seems to linger with me is the smell. This bar has an overwhelming smell of Mr. Clean. I know that most people would welcome a bar that smells clean, but the smell is overpowering in a BAD way. Just beware if you are like me and very sensitive to smells.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medina Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds OK plan to sell Norton Homes (Feb '08) Sep 15 leachy 10
Who recalls Todd Hickman (akron) (Sep '11) Sep 8 Bliss 70
Life improvements Sep 2 Really 2
News Trustee charge dropped (Apr '08) Sep 1 Melissa bowman 14
News Parole denied for Akron man convicted of rape a... Aug 27 geeze 1
News Teen found dead while in Akron police custody, ... Aug 27 geeze 1
Poll Who is the Ugliest WNIR Personality (Dec '08) Aug 25 Nope 109

Medina Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance