Both sides speak out on pot measures

Full story: The Ashland Daily Tidings

A packed room in Southern Oregon University's Stevenson Union was treated to a lively back-and-forth Thursday between Measure 74 proponents and law enforcement during a forum on November's medical marijuana ballot measures in Oregon and California.
Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Oct 15, 2010
Dennis Person

United States

#1 Oct 13, 2010
Common sense says to legalize marijuana completely, not just for medical use. I flew CAMP for 3 years taking marijuana out of the Mendocino County area for the police, and shortly realized there is to must time and money being used up on making marijuana a crime. There are more important things to address. Many people do not know that 80% of drug problems are related to prescription drugs. If you take the money out of illegal drugs, I am sure the cartels would be in big trouble and crime would decrease along with the murders south of the border. What we are doing is not working, so it is time to change direction and move towards legalizing some of these drugs and put them under a prescription use. At least we would know who was taking them which is better than not knowing which is the current trend.
On The Dole

Redmond, WA

#2 Oct 13, 2010
Dennis Person wrote:
Common sense says to legalize marijuana completely...
A great oxymoron!
Allewyn - Rogue River Ore

Grants Pass, OR

#3 Oct 15, 2010
"At least we would know who was taking them which is better than not knowing which is the current trend."

And why, pray tell, do you need to know who is taking drugs? Isn't that issue one of personal privacy? You would favor eliminating that right to privacy?

Also, didn't you also say 80% of "drug problems" involve prescription drugs? I guess it does make sense to legalize and make pot available only by prescription. Oh by they way, if someone then possesses pot without a prescription, would it be a crime? Seems like we would just be generating income for the government while not solving any problems.
Len

Jersey City, NJ

#4 Oct 15, 2010
On The Dole wrote:
<quoted text>
A great oxymoron!
Please elaborate

“Brain Kneader”

Since: Sep 10

EVERYWHERE

#5 Oct 15, 2010
Allewyn - Rogue River Ore wrote:
"At least we would know who was taking them which is better than not knowing which is the current trend."
And why, pray tell, do you need to know who is taking drugs? Isn't that issue one of personal privacy? You would favor eliminating that right to privacy?
Also, didn't you also say 80% of "drug problems" involve prescription drugs? I guess it does make sense to legalize and make pot available only by prescription. Oh by they way, if someone then possesses pot without a prescription, would it be a crime? Seems like we would just be generating income for the government while not solving any problems.
Yes the best solution is legalize tax and regulate like tobacco and alcohol but if they want to take it step by step thats also fine until they consider the best solution.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
joshua parker (Oct '13) 8 hr turtleshelley 4,105
OR Who do you support for Governor in Oregon in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 23 We Hate Coos Bay ... 204
Did anyone know Quinn Berry? (Feb '10) Aug 20 Little Red Riding... 6
anyone need black Aug 19 Neverbackdown88 2
Review: Lucky Chimney & Dryer Vent Service Aug 18 Ruchian 1
Rainwater collection case leads to jail sentenc... (Jul '12) Aug 6 watchman 3
Medford man dies in rollover accident on Old St... (Jun '13) Aug 6 klh 3
•••
•••
•••

Medford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••