joshua parker
Maureen

Westlake, OH

#3750 Apr 10, 2014
Education law is a complicated mess. You can write about 'generalities' but I can think of exceptions for just about everything. And after you deviate from your District run school, charter schools and private school (and type of private school) changes the rules, drastically at times. It is really hard to summarize.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#3751 Apr 10, 2014
Speech Therapy may or may not be covered by insurance (with a co-pay) depending on the state. Usually it is approved if the therapy is repairing/reaccessing a lost skill or the child/adult does not have a handicapping condition that would preclude the child/adult from moderate progress.

In my state, Birth to Three provides in-home or in-CC services for qualified children. We are a "teach the parent" model which means that you get less service but parents are taught how to provide interventions (vs. a medical model where there are more interventions, with more intensity).

When children age out of BTT, there is an meeting to determine the services needed in the school system. In our area, many people who received moderate to highest level of BTT service often wind up RTI before they move to an IEP scenario. If your child is not enrolled in the Universal pre-K and you qualify for service you can bring your pre-school age child for services when they assign you a time (impossible for working parents not in universal pre-K).

Once children are school age, if they qualify for an IEP (and, therefore, services), your child must be enrolled in the school to obtain services. Although you can sue for the service, it is often successful but who wants to or can pick their child up at their private school or come from homeschooling from the ridiculous times offered--- 9:40 to 10:05 and another service offered at 2:05-2:20.

We opted to go private and pay for what the insurance doesn't cover. We get better services, year round services, and choice of provider which ensures quality.
Madeliene wrote:
<quoted text>
And I believe that therapies such as this are part of a federal mandate especially when the delay/disability/etc. impacts school performance.
I know speech therapy is also available outside of schools, of course. And as one of the prior posters mentioned, it may depend on whether that particular state runs Birth to Three programs through the schools. I bet Don't Touch My Truck can shed more light! I too am curious on this.

Since: Apr 14

Location hidden

#3752 Apr 10, 2014
Something that bothered me enormously when Kate wrote about Bethany and Hannah, when she was so exasperated with them: not only did they have the major disadvantage of having DS and all that goes along with that, and having only known the largely disinterested caregivers of the institutions they were placed in -- they had ZERO language comprehension due to the fact that they'd only been spoken to in Russian! We have friends who adopted two Russian brothers who did NOT have the disadvantage of a DS diagnosis, and the language barrier was overwhelming for them at first. Even if Bethany was non-verbal, she had zero chance of even slightly understanding anything spoken to her at first. Can you imagine for those little girls, all the changes, new faces, lots of doctors and no understanding at all? Confused and terrified. I realize that they were young and limited language even in Russian, but put them with people who didn't know basic words they may have been familiar with... That, in and of itself, makes me so angry at how Kate and Megan treated Bethany with isolation and ignorance. For as smart as they deem themselves to be, their desire to break the will of those little girls makes absolutely no sense as they were trying to assimilate them into the Parker family, as well as a new culture in a new land with a new language. Rather than taking lots of time and patience (which Kate didn't possess much of either), she simply set out to break their will -- and in the process likely crushed their fragile spirits. With the number of children already in the household, whether or not they possessed the disabilities Kate said they all had, I think social services did a huge injustice to Hannah and Bethany by approving them to adopt two special needs children. Her hands were already full, and she'd already opted to not invest time and resources in therapy for her older kids. Why would anyone think she'd invest in the adopted children? Definitely a broken system.

I don't know the penalties she will incur for rehoming -- ABANDONING -- Hannah, but I hope they are severe. I hope that Kate is humiliated in the deepest and severest ways possible as she goes to trial. My money is on the professionals crossing their t's and dotting their i's, and they pull together a concrete case against her, able to make every charge stick.

As trained respite workers, I'm also hoping that Megan and Adam have consequences as well. With a new baby, he's got a lot on the line. Doesn't seem like Megan has much to lose, but hopefully she will be precluded from ever having any type of caregiving job as well as not being allowed alone with her siblings. That may not happen, but one can certainly wish -- right?

Location hidden

#3753 Apr 10, 2014
This is a great point about the language barrier. On your comment about intelligence level, you are also so dead-on.

l
ShockedAndAppalledButNot wrote:
Something that bothered me enormously when Kate wrote about Bethany and Hannah, when she was so exasperated with them: not only did they have the major disadvantage of having DS and all that goes along with that, and having only known the largely disinterested caregivers of the institutions they were placed in -- they had ZERO language comprehension due to the fact that they'd only been spoken to in Russian! We have friends who adopted two Russian brothers who did NOT have the disadvantage of a DS diagnosis, and the language barrier was overwhelming for them at first. Even if Bethany was non-verbal, she had zero chance of even slightly understanding anything spoken to her at first. Can you imagine for those little girls, all the changes, new faces, lots of doctors and no understanding at all? Confused and terrified. I realize that they were young and limited language even in Russian, but put them with people who didn't know basic words they may have been familiar with... That, in and of itself, makes me so angry at how Kate and Megan treated Bethany with isolation and ignorance. For as smart as they deem themselves to be, their desire to break the will of those little girls makes absolutely no sense as they were trying to assimilate them into the Parker family, as well as a new culture in a new land with a new language.

Since: Mar 14

Location hidden

#3754 Apr 10, 2014
My goodness gracious! How complex with all those laws and programs concerning therapies and so forth! I've always heard it was a handful, but wow!

@Maureen, you are a treasure trove of info on this topic!
I pray Joshua, Bethany and Hannah are with families that are as knowledgeable as you are!

That's *wonderful* to hear that Joshua will have access to therapies if he needs them as a result of his very unique situation.

It's so great to know that Joshua is in school (and Bethany too, I believe!) More than we could have hoped for a year ago!
I hope the other 4 are in school as well as that will give them something new and positive in their lives.
Those kids have quite literally lost almost everything in their world --- their mom, their siblings, their home (if they've been removed from the home) and their school, since they were homeschooled by Kate.
I can't imagine how frightening and scary it must be, especially at their ages where they're old enough to "get" the situation and the gravity of it all. Having school would give them something new to focus on during a tough time.

Location hidden

#3755 Apr 10, 2014
momtomyboys wrote:
Speech Therapy may or may not be covered by insurance (with a co-pay) depending on the state. Usually it is approved if the therapy is repairing/reaccessing a lost skill or the child/adult does not have a handicapping condition that would preclude the child/adult from moderate progress.
In my state, Birth to Three provides in-home or in-CC services for qualified children. We are a "teach the parent" model which means that you get less service but parents are taught how to provide interventions (vs. a medical model where there are more interventions, with more intensity).
When children age out of BTT, there is an meeting to determine the services needed in the school system. In our area, many people who received moderate to highest level of BTT service often wind up RTI before they move to an IEP scenario. If your child is not enrolled in the Universal pre-K and you qualify for service you can bring your pre-school age child for services when they assign you a time (impossible for working parents not in universal pre-K).
Once children are school age, if they qualify for an IEP (and, therefore, services), your child must be enrolled in the school to obtain services. Although you can sue for the service, it is often successful but who wants to or can pick their child up at their private school or come from homeschooling from the ridiculous times offered--- 9:40 to 10:05 and another service offered at 2:05-2:20.
We opted to go private and pay for what the insurance doesn't cover. We get better services, year round services, and choice of provider which ensures quality.
<quoted text>
This is similar to how it works in our state. While the speech therapy services aren't outstanding in the school system, our school district is in the top five in our state. So, we send our son to public school, where he receives speech therapy (he is on an IEP) and he also receives speech therapy through a private provider once a week.
Cassie-confused

Taylorville, IL

#3756 Apr 10, 2014
I have a friend with children in Oregon. I am going to ask what the therapy services are like there. It's interesting how different they are in different states.
My two older girls were preemies and didn't qualify for Early Intervention until they were 2. My oldest had a cleft palate so was evaluated regularly by a cleft team, and my middle was evaluated by my cousin, the EI therapist, at regular intervals just because I wanted her to be lol.
The speech therapy my youngest may get from school doesn't require an IEP.
Makes you wonder really how hard it would have been for Kate to get help for the girls.

Location hidden

#3757 Apr 10, 2014
Someone sure is going crazy with the judge-its....

Location hidden

#3758 Apr 10, 2014
Cassie-confused wrote:
Makes you wonder really how hard it would have been for Kate to get help for the girls.
I think that Kate wanted the services and providers that she could hand pick. I was not hard given the delays that the girls would have had. They had feeding issues (possible oral motor, speech/language and feeding therapy), PT issues (mobility and tone), OT issues (small motor issues) and, if they were in a program a SEIT to help co-ordinate program goals.

If Kate put the girls in any sp.ed program, then the girls would have been out of the house, working with professionals on a regular basis, possibly making great progress. And, providing Kate with some quality respite care.

Location hidden

#3759 Apr 10, 2014
****EDITED*****
I think that Kate wanted the services and providers that she could hand pick. It would not have been hard to get services given the delays that the girls would have had. They had feeding issues (possible oral motor, speech/language and feeding therapy), PT issues (mobility and tone), OT issues (small motor issues) and, if they were in a program a SEIT to help co-ordinate program goals.
Anna M

United States

#3760 Apr 10, 2014
Cassie-confused wrote:
I wouldn't say its impossible that a supporter could step up with the money. It has happened before. One person with money who thinks Kate has been wronged. I pray it doesn't happen in this case.
<quoted text>
True. But almost nothing is impossible. I think the improbability is so great that it's not something to worry about. Remember, she had to beg for funds for her husband to take off work, and for medical expenses and for a birthday party and to adopt the little girls. And that was hard work (lots os lying and using her kids). She can't use her kids now. And she's no young Casey Anthony who might inspire some guy who is attracted to her to pay her bail.(Which, by the way, is almost two and half times lower than Parker's bail amount).
Possible but I will not lose sleep over it yet.
Anna M

United States

#3761 Apr 10, 2014
piemonade wrote:
<quoted text>
Standing ovation!
Hey, thank you!!!!
Anna M

United States

#3762 Apr 10, 2014
Madeliene wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a *very* interesting point, indeed, about the case studies all having a husband who stays alongside the wife.
That would actually make it all the sadder if that occurred, considering the horrid things Kate said about Charley online --- things I wonder if he even knows about. That always made me very uncomfortable when Kate would bad mouth Charley in her posts/in comments. I sort of cringed, feeling like that sort of thing was just a bit too personal to share publicly. But it could be those posts about his absence that saves him from trouble, so perhaps a blessing in disguise.
As for Megan and Adam, I think the failure to act as mandated reporters could very well come back to bite them as it seems like that would be a slam dunk prosecution. I guess it all depends on what evidence they have precisely and how aggressive the prosecutor is feeling.
That's true. I mean they are at risk here. But it will be hard to prove they weren't fooled just as badly as everyone else. At least I think.
SLF

Eugene, OR

#3763 Apr 10, 2014
Cassie-confused wrote:
I have a friend with children in Oregon. I am going to ask what the therapy services are like there. It's interesting how different they are in different states.
My two older girls were preemies and didn't qualify for Early Intervention until they were 2. My oldest had a cleft palate so was evaluated regularly by a cleft team, and my middle was evaluated by my cousin, the EI therapist, at regular intervals just because I wanted her to be lol.
The speech therapy my youngest may get from school doesn't require an IEP.
I live in Oregon.

A lot has changed here since my son had services so I can't say much. I know they have Birth to Three and then the child, if services are still needed, transferred out to the school district. Of course, private services are available, too. Birth to three is an excellent program.
Cassie-confused

Taylorville, IL

#3764 Apr 10, 2014
The more I read on the truth blog the more I want to write to Kate and point out all the things she complained about Mckmama doing and then went and did it herself! Make sure she sees the irony and the connection and knows that other people see it now too.

Location hidden

#3765 Apr 11, 2014
Cassie-confused wrote:
The more I read on the truth blog the more I want to write to Kate and point out all the things she complained about Mckmama doing and then went and did it herself! Make sure she sees the irony and the connection and knows that other people see it now too.
I was active on MWOP, and I was very surprised when Kate told me that she was friends with the original founders of MWOP. I was even more surprised when i found some of her older posts (she wasn't that active at that time) and I saw her criticising JM for the same things she had also tried--often with less success.

The amount of fundraising was shocking for me! Don't take me wrong, I am not entirely opposed to fundraising. I posted blog posts for adoption related fund raising for a friend, and also contributed items to another friend's last two adoption fundraisers. But I don't think I could have been comfortable participating in anything close to what they did--especially because there was so little they actually did themselves.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#3766 Apr 11, 2014
Fundraising is a great avenue to go down for many people for many different causes. There are fundraisers in my little town for all kinds of things, and the public really gets into it offering up support for the cause. The crime of fraud which Kate is charged with is really disgusting because it shocks people who contributed. The general public cannot believe a mother would lie about the health of her children for her personal gain. You just can't imagine stooping so low. It is straight up stealing.
Rambling Rosie

Dayton, OH

#3767 Apr 11, 2014
Anna M wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is highly unlikely that he will be charged. These cases are tough to prosecute to begin with. They take months, sometimes years to accumulate enough evidence to charge and then prosecute a Munchausen mother. Everything in the blogs suggests Charley was never there and uninvolved in any of the medical decisions or fund raising efforts.
I think it is also unlikely the adult children will be charged although they are at risk. But it may not be worth it to the DA. The focus needs to be on the conductor of this insane tragedy. The kids can say they were duped and it will probably work. <snip>
I agree with this - I think it's unlikely Charley will be charged - I think Kate posted enough online to show he wasn't an involved parent, and I think she probably deceived him in this whole process. I think he'll get out of any charges.

As for the adult children - I don't think they'll be charged either. I agree with Anna M - It may not be worth it to the DA. Or there will be a plea deal. I think there is a good possibility that they were partially duped in all of this as well. She was their mom, after all, and I'm sure they wanted to believed whatever she was telling them. While they were respite workers and were trained and all that, she was still their mother and no matter what, it's hard to turn in your own mom. Even crazy moms.

I think they'll go after Kate with a vengeance, but I'm doubtful the rest will be charged. I do think Adam and Megan's respite "licenses" or whatever it is that they have to be able to be caretakers, will be taken away, but I don't they'll ultimately face charges.

And now, I'll go back to lurking!

Location hidden

#3768 Apr 11, 2014
Cassie-confused wrote:
I think JM is who taught Kate how to me a manipulator and a scammer.
Cassie-confused

Taylorville, IL

#3769 Apr 11, 2014
I agree. And that's why I have a hard time believing she has any psychological issues. She could see how wrong it was when JM did it, then just copied her.
Sadie673 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think JM is who taught Kate how to me a manipulator and a scammer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to lose tourist dollars 101 6 hr CaptainOfIndustry 1
News Woman files sexual harassment lawsuit against A... (May '16) Jan 21 Elks Member 26
News Medford businessman Kelly Rasmussen accused of ... (Oct '08) Jan 15 Cjben79 12
News Grants Pass culvert bursts Jan 9 Hate irrigation d... 2
Trump For President Dec '16 Kjwood 5
Tell me all the good and bad about Medford. (Jul '16) Aug '16 Sniper01 3
Review: something different Aug '16 roncole 1

Medford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Medford Mortgages