joshua parker
Shocked

Irvington, NJ

#185 Nov 7, 2013
I just cannot believe all this. I am really shocked but glad I found this and I'm getting some answers because I felt in my gut that something just wasn't right. I followed his caringbridge site and normally don't post but finally posted something that I thought was encouraging words and the next thing I knew the site was closed. I was getting concerned because like others I became invested and really cared for the little boy and wanted to see an update so I did a search hoping not to see an obit and found this place. Reading all the posts just blew my mind. Shame on her and whoever else participated in this scam. I am happy to know that he is out of the house and thriving. Poor child and what she did to him.

Since: Nov 13

Clementon, NJ

#186 Nov 7, 2013
Tweety3672StillSucks wrote:
Quite the increase in space...a double-wide to a 6- bedroom rental house. What changed just before Oct 2011? Charley's job? Nope. In July 2011, Kate decided to plan a last (half) birthday party for Joshua, register for $2K+ in gifts and begin a collection to cover Charley taking time off to spend with Joshua "before it was too late."
Wooooooow. Mind = blown

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#187 Nov 7, 2013
They increased house size because income went up with ssi also. Once they adopted the girls each girl got ssi fo $710 per month plus Joshua's ssi ect you get the point. They drove newer cars because if you don't have assets, you qualify for the max amount of ssi income per child.Plus Megan and Adam got paid to take care of the kids.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#188 Nov 7, 2013
sadtruthbetold wrote:
They increased house size because income went up with ssi also. Once they adopted the girls each girl got ssi fo $710 per month plus Joshua's ssi ect you get the point. They drove newer cars because if you don't have assets, you qualify for the max amount of ssi income per child.Plus Megan and Adam got paid to take care of the kids.
That's a good point but how did they get away with 2 nice cars? Cars are assetts and SSI only allows one before they start docking you. Maybe one of them is in Adam or Megan's name?

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#189 Nov 7, 2013
Hmmm now that I think about it...wouldn't that be fraud? Messing with compassionate moms and taking their money is one thing. Messing with the federal government is another ball of wax.
TheresaQ

Cumming, GA

#190 Nov 7, 2013
Wow. I googled Joshua just hoping for an update after followng his page for so long. After reading all this, I am floored. The best thing to read (and I hope it's true) is that both Joshua and Bethany are now doing so much better. Sounds like they are now living everyday instead of dying everyday zoned out on meds. That is amazingly great news. I sincerely hope they both have many years ahead of them. If these allegations are true those poor kids didn't have to worry about the monster under their bed - their own mother was the monster.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#191 Nov 7, 2013
One nice car is not counted the second nice car as long as the value is not higher than the debt it doesn't really count. So if you keep up with newer cars you never really have a valuable asset.Also one vehicle can be to transport a child in a wheelchair so it is necessary, where as dad may need a truck for work ect. From what she told people their is an exception to every rule. This is when some of us realized how insane the situation was. She would complain about mckmama then talk about how they got around reporting adoption and fundraising funds.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#192 Nov 7, 2013
Yes the kids are safe now and doing much better! They of course still have some of their medical issues and are on medications just not to the extent portrayed.
laura isaacs

Bristol, TN

#193 Nov 7, 2013
i would love to find out about the kids also i have folled on their about 4 years i think

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#194 Nov 7, 2013
sadtruthbetold wrote:
One nice car is not counted the second nice car as long as the value is not higher than the debt it doesn't really count. So if you keep up with newer cars you never really have a valuable asset.Also one vehicle can be to transport a child in a wheelchair so it is necessary, where as dad may need a truck for work ect. From what she told people their is an exception to every rule. This is when some of us realized how insane the situation was. She would complain about mckmama then talk about how they got around reporting adoption and fundraising funds.
Are you saying Kate said she herself got around reporting fundraising funds? If so, how did she do it? Do you have her words written anywhere? Technically she should have been reporting all of Joshua's "gifts" to social security. Whether he got them or she sold them on eBay I guess we'll never know!
RoomForMore

Port Orchard, WA

#195 Nov 8, 2013
I was "introduced" to Kate through the original
MWOP site when she was fundraising for the girls' adoptions. I don't normally give money on the internet (especially after following MckMama) but Kate had fundraisers through third parties for things like popcorn and you could also donate directly to Reece's Rainbow, so I gave what I thought was appropriate and corresponded some with Kate.

Kate was constantly posting passive aggressive things about how she was having such a hard time fundraising and how people were posting about drinking Starbucks and basically shaming people out of their latte money. I grew tired of it and stopped participating in her fundraisers. I watched the whole thing on her Room For More blog and subsequent Caring Bridge pages and I have to say I saw this coming three years ago.

One thing I would like to add is something she talked a lot about on her Room a For More blog was the adoption tax credit. She says they tried to get loans through their bank but were denied and couldn't get an adoption loan through a private agency. But after talking about not being able to take out loans, she would talk about how they needed the money from the adoption tax credits. I don't think she wanted any personal responsibility for that adoption (or could not afford it), and put very little of the Parker's own funds into that trip. Since they were denied or never applied for loans and 100% of the expenses were raised, once they brought the girls home they received a HUGE tax credit, which could have gone to paying off loans or donated to their church to help with the huge amount they gave to the Parker's. They got a $10,000+ windfall from that tax credit, in addition to the girls SSI. No wonder they moved into a new house. I wonder if they had to pay that back when they released one of the girls?

I wish the Room for More blog hadn't been scrubbed from the internet so I could articulate my point better, but yeah, I have believed for years that Kate is a scammer. I had the courtesy not to comment on her blogs before but what she has done through this adoption is disgusting. Does anyone else remember her trying to adopt a third girl from the same orphanage because her adoption was fully funded? And how she took the girls out of the country without the adoption going through because the Ukranian government was questioning the adoption? She is so shady. And that's not even touching on Joshua - poor Joshua. I wish there was something I can do but based on her lack of internet presence I'm trusting that someone has done something.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#197 Nov 8, 2013
Tax credits can be used for a number of years so you can pay zero tax until the credit used.

She always said she spirited them out of the country but as an AP with international experience, I can say that the US would not accept a child without all paperwork in place. I know first hand having to wait extra days on each adoption because there were errors. NO correct papers, no getting a child into the US. The situations between the US and other countries can cause huge incidents if they are sploppy.

There does not have to be a legal process in some states (don't know about OR) when you relinquish. This is a great article that shows how things that appear to be illegal might not be. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pare...

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#198 Nov 8, 2013
momtomyboys wrote:
Tax credits can be used for a number of years so you can pay zero tax until the credit used.
She always said she spirited them out of the country but as an AP with international experience, I can say that the US would not accept a child without all paperwork in place. I know first hand having to wait extra days on each adoption because there were errors. NO correct papers, no getting a child into the US. The situations between the US and other countries can cause huge incidents if they are sploppy.
There does not have to be a legal process in some states (don't know about OR) when you relinquish. This is a great article that shows how things that appear to be illegal might not be. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pare...
I just can't believe this can be legal!:-(
Wow

Gainesville, FL

#199 Nov 8, 2013
RoomForMore wrote:
I was "introduced" to Kate through the original
MWOP site when she was fundraising for the girls' adoptions. I don't normally give money on the internet (especially after following MckMama) but Kate had fundraisers through third parties for things like popcorn and you could also donate directly to Reece's Rainbow, so I gave what I thought was appropriate and corresponded some with Kate.
Kate was constantly posting passive aggressive things about how she was having such a hard time fundraising and how people were posting about drinking Starbucks and basically shaming people out of their latte money. I grew tired of it and stopped participating in her fundraisers. I watched the whole thing on her Room For More blog and subsequent Caring Bridge pages and I have to say I saw this coming three years ago.
One thing I would like to add is something she talked a lot about on her Room a For More blog was the adoption tax credit. She says they tried to get loans through their bank but were denied and couldn't get an adoption loan through a private agency. But after talking about not being able to take out loans, she would talk about how they needed the money from the adoption tax credits. I don't think she wanted any personal responsibility for that adoption (or could not afford it), and put very little of the Parker's own funds into that trip. Since they were denied or never applied for loans and 100% of the expenses were raised, once they brought the girls home they received a HUGE tax credit, which could have gone to paying off loans or donated to their church to help with the huge amount they gave to the Parker's. They got a $10,000+ windfall from that tax credit, in addition to the girls SSI. No wonder they moved into a new house. I wonder if they had to pay that back when they released one of the girls?
I wish the Room for More blog hadn't been scrubbed from the internet so I could articulate my point better, but yeah, I have believed for years that Kate is a scammer. I had the courtesy not to comment on her blogs before but what she has done through this adoption is disgusting. Does anyone else remember her trying to adopt a third girl from the same orphanage because her adoption was fully funded? And how she took the girls out of the country without the adoption going through because the Ukranian government was questioning the adoption? She is so shady. And that's not even touching on Joshua - poor Joshua. I wish there was something I can do but based on her lack of internet presence I'm trusting that someone has done something.
I'm glad you brought this up as it's bothered me for years. We also adopted in 2010, and that year you could receive just over $13k in adoption refund money (not a credit, but actual refund) LESS any money that was given as grant. So, considering there adoption was fully funded (and then some), they should not have qualified for any, or perhaps not much, tax refund. I don't know how much they did receive back, though.
Wow

Gainesville, FL

#200 Nov 8, 2013
I wanted to clarify that the tax refund in 2010 was per adopted child. So, they would have qualified for over $26k in adoption tax refund money. Now, I don't know if they did claim that full amount or not, but I do remember Kate posting somewhere about waiting for their refund to arrive. I remembered them raising $40k for their adoption and wondering how they would qualify for any of the refund.

Since: Nov 13

Location hidden

#201 Nov 9, 2013
If the girls were in a country that created bank accounts, they may have received that money as well. Most parents were encouraged to give those monies back to the care facility.
momofthehorde

Danville, CA

#202 Nov 9, 2013
momtomyboys wrote:
If the girls were in a country that created bank accounts, they may have received that money as well. Most parents were encouraged to give those monies back to the care facility.
IIRC, the practice in the Ukraine is for the adopting parents to turn over the money in those accounts to whatever orphanage the children come from.
Wow

United States

#203 Nov 9, 2013
momofthehorde wrote:
<quoted text>
IIRC, the practice in the Ukraine is for the adopting parents to turn over the money in those accounts to whatever orphanage the children come from.
I'm pretty positive it was donated back to the orphanage as that is the norm. I don't want to cause any gossip or assumptions based on my above comments as I do NOT know how their taxes were reported by them.

On another note, I have met them IRL. Charley is a very sweet and compassionate person. Kate said a lot of things that were very odd and negative, and other things that raised red flags in my head. I could say some of the things she told me, but it was in private conversation and I'm not sure this is the venue to disclose anything she's said to me. But, I will say, many things said in this thread do not surprise me, sadly (self diagnosing, fundraising by guilt, etc). Also, she claims Bethany was drugged in the orphanage - that is pure speculation. And the fact that both the girls have RAD is very surprising as 1. That's rare with children adopted with Down syndrome and 2. No other children with Down syndrome adopted from that orphanage have it (that I know of, and I know of at least 6 others).

She did once lash out on Facebook about how people would change their profile pics to children of friends who were in critical danger (in hospital, accidents, etc) and was upset that no one treated her terminally ill son the same way (ie change their profile pics to Joshua). It was so rude!

Anyway, I do hope for the best for their family and hope they all come out okay after all that's gone on. I know they all have gone through a lot and there are legitimate health and financial concerns. I just hope things genuinely heal for them all.
Jenny

Birmingham, AL

#204 Nov 9, 2013
My concern and in fact disgust with this woman has been and will always be the horrible ways she talked about poor Bethany on both her CB site and Joshua's CB site. Joshua was (hopefully still is) their precious angel snugly bear and in more than one post she wished Bethany would just go ahead and DIE because "she was so miserable". Kate never bonded with Bethany because Bethany was very sick, and maybe she did have RAD but if you ever saw the pictures of that child when they first adopted her and then pictures after she had been with them a couple of years she looked downright abused. Kate never spoke lovingly about this poor little girl and only updated the CB site with very cold medical updates. In the meantime she was snuggling with Joshua and begging God not to take him. What a sick double standard.

And the birthday registry for "Joshua's last birthday" TWO YEARS AGO where she signed up for stuff online, expensive stuff that he really wanted for his "last birthday" was a little more than offensive. He received thousands of dollars worth of gifts from complete strangers but it wasn't his last birthday. Maybe they thought it might be but get a make a wish trip for the child and quit begging for money and gifts from strangers. This woman has told other RR moms for years she wishes she had never adopted Bethany and wanted to disrupt her badly. KP is a sicko. I don't feel sorry for her at all. I think she has exploited her children to gain sympathy to feed her own narcissistic needs. I pray those precious children can die in peace without all of the mama drama she creates.
Jenny

Birmingham, AL

#205 Nov 9, 2013
sadtruthbetold wrote:
Yes the kids are safe now and doing much better! They of course still have some of their medical issues and are on medications just not to the extent portrayed.
Where are the children so that they are safe now???? Are they not with Kate? I have never met these people but after being so disgusted by the CB sites for years I called CPS in their state a few months ago and told them to just READ the CB sites.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
moving to oregon (Sep '06) Mar 24 WHY in Gods name 185
News Woman files sexual harassment lawsuit against A... (May '16) Mar 23 Elk member 46
Jerry and Amy Harrington child abusers (Feb '13) Mar 3 Lookng 5
News Transgender man claims he's pregnant (Mar '08) Feb '17 TheJerseyDevil 62
News Oregon woman plans to parade topless (Jun '08) Feb '17 Parade Phart 1,346
Lacey elaine oliver Jan '17 Lilysdaddy 1
How to lose tourist dollars 101 Jan '17 CaptainOfIndustry 1

Medford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Medford Mortgages