MEDFORD: Teen crash victim remains critical

Full story: Newsday 295
A Medford man severely injured in a head-on collision remained in critical condition last night at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center, officials said. Full Story
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jul 17, 2008
With moronic drivers like Chris Vogel, who needs enemies? I wonder how cool he feels now that he killed his friend? He should have just killed himself or better yet, he should have driven normally and this never would have happened.
My God People

Milford, CT

#2 Jul 17, 2008
You have no heart!!! Do you know for sure how fast he was going or what exactly happened? Were you there? God willing if he makes it through this he has enough guilt to worry about so go and get a life and stop making stupid comments just to draw attention to yourself.

R.I.P. Nick
Chris - You are in my prayers!

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Jul 17, 2008
My God People wrote:
You have no heart!!! Do you know for sure how fast he was going or what exactly happened? Were you there? God willing if he makes it through this he has enough guilt to worry about so go and get a life and stop making stupid comments just to draw attention to yourself.
R.I.P. Nick
Chris - You are in my prayers!
Chris Vogel had no heart or consideration for others when he decided to speed and go over the double yellow line. Looking at pictures of the wreckage that was once a car, a fair estimate of speed would be in excess of 70mph. What is the speed limit on that road?
If I wanted to draw attention to myself I could pull a Vogel and make headline news. Iíd rather drive safely.
Iím praying that Brett Brown will be okay and that his car will be repaired or replaced in a timely manner.
wordygurdy

Coram, NY

#4 Jul 17, 2008
My God People wrote:
You have no heart!!! Do you know for sure how fast he was going or what exactly happened? Were you there? God willing if he makes it through this he has enough guilt to worry about so go and get a life and stop making stupid comments just to draw attention to yourself.
R.I.P. Nick
Chris - You are in my prayers!
To quote the article: "A witness saw the car moving at "an excessive speed" just before the crash, and the length of the debris field also indicated a high-speed collision, said Det. Sgt. Bryan McMenemy." Good enough for me.
LI stinks

Middle Island, NY

#5 Jul 17, 2008
To respond to the above posts, the speed limit on Woodside Ave is 45!!!! It is a very sad situation all around for all three families involved in this tragedy, but I do agree that people need to start driving more responsibly and think about the consequences from their actions. Too many lives are tragically ending because of pure stupidity and lack of good judgement. My prayers go out to the three families because noone should be suffering the way they all are.
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#6 Jul 17, 2008
wordygurdy wrote:
<quoted text>
To quote the article: "A witness saw the car moving at "an excessive speed" just before the crash, and the length of the debris field also indicated a high-speed collision, said Det. Sgt. Bryan McMenemy." Good enough for me.
Exactly how long before the crash?
Where exactly did the witness see the car?

"the length of the debris field also indicated a high-speed collision, said Det. Sgt. Bryan McMenemy."

Saying a high speed collision doesn't say who was going what rate of speed.

How fast was Brown actually going?
Was he speeding too?
Oh wait we don't know cause when he spoke with reporters he "didn't want to talk about the crash".

Does anyone realize that to some people that an "an excessive speed" could be lets say 65 or 70mph and not 100 or 120mph.

Two cars of that exact make and model going an excessive and possibly equal rate of speed can cause that much damage considering a Honda Accord is made of what? Oh thats right SHEET METAL. As well as the fact that it hit other objects causing more damage to the car.

Don't get me wrong I understand that the Honda crossed the yellow line and therefor at fault but we do not know the exact speed of either car.

My question is how fast can you actually go from the light at Woodside and 112 to lets say Woodside and Harlem(the apx location of the crash)?

Because if the honda came from west of 112 on woodside at "an excessive speed" the car would have bottomed out going over 112 and lost control there.

In reality there are too many questions and not enough answers given to the public only speculation.

In 2002 we all had the same questions including who went over the yellow line with the driver of the X-Terra admitting on camera that she was on her way home from work and exhausted.

But you only have answers from one person, the one who is still alive.

And as I've always been told there are 3 sides to every story his, hers, & the truth.

So like I said until we have all the facts you can only speculate.

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Jul 17, 2008
Totally Crushed wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly how long before the crash?
Where exactly did the witness see the car?
"the length of the debris field also indicated a high-speed collision, said Det. Sgt. Bryan McMenemy."
Saying a high speed collision doesn't say who was going what rate of speed.
How fast was Brown actually going?
Was he speeding too?
Oh wait we don't know cause when he spoke with reporters he "didn't want to talk about the crash".
Does anyone realize that to some people that an "an excessive speed" could be lets say 65 or 70mph and not 100 or 120mph.
Two cars of that exact make and model going an excessive and possibly equal rate of speed can cause that much damage considering a Honda Accord is made of what? Oh thats right SHEET METAL. As well as the fact that it hit other objects causing more damage to the car.
Don't get me wrong I understand that the Honda crossed the yellow line and therefor at fault but we do not know the exact speed of either car.
My question is how fast can you actually go from the light at Woodside and 112 to lets say Woodside and Harlem(the apx location of the crash)?
Because if the honda came from west of 112 on woodside at "an excessive speed" the car would have bottomed out going over 112 and lost control there.
In reality there are too many questions and not enough answers given to the public only speculation.
In 2002 we all had the same questions including who went over the yellow line with the driver of the X-Terra admitting on camera that she was on her way home from work and exhausted.
But you only have answers from one person, the one who is still alive.
And as I've always been told there are 3 sides to every story his, hers, & the truth.
So like I said until we have all the facts you can only speculate.
LI Stinks said the speed limit is 45mph on that road (thanks LI). Taking that into consideration wouldnít you say that your lower speed suggestion of 65 is ďexcessiveĒ? I would. To answer your question which is valid and interesting about how fast he could have been going from a red light (assuming it was red), Iíll do a quick analysis and be very lenient.
Letís start with a basic 2003 Honda with a small 4cyl. Engine (the I-4). An average 1/4 mile time for this car is 16.5s @ 85mph. A 1/4 mile is 1320 feet. The distance from Rt. 112 and Harlem is 1700 feet. Even if that the car canít gain any more speed in the remaining 380 feet, heís still doing 85mph. The realistic speed is well over 90mph (twice the speed limit).
Iíll stick with my conservative estimate at above 70mph and say the Mercedes driver was doing 50-55. The damage looks like it.
here and there

Roseland, NJ

#8 Jul 17, 2008
I thought that vogel was traveling westbound on woodside in the civic which would have given him ample time to get up to what they consider "excessive speed" and that the mercedes was the one coming eastbound from route 112.
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#9 Jul 17, 2008
The difference is that besides price Mercedes has more structural support than the Honda therefore would have less damage as well as the fact that the Honda did hit 3-4 other things after hitting the Mercedes. As well as coming from the red light assuming it was red you have to account for the slow rate of speed coming across 112 because of what we call an oversized speed bump. If you are traveling East over 112 on Woodside going more than 35-40mph (without a red light) you will bottom out or (if you are tall enough) hit your head on the headliner of the car.

Also having to take into account of weather the driver just put his foot on the pedal and went or if he (so to speak) manually shifted the car by releasing the pedal and hitting it again making the transmission shift when he wanted or when it normally would. As well as the fact that we don't know if it was a manual or automatic.

As well as the fact of if the light on Harlem was Red or not because 9 times out of ten it is red coming from that direction.

In my opinion there are to many variables to make a proper estimate.

And the speed actually changes from west to east from 55 to 45 to 55 for the length of woodside ave.
Patchogue Mom

AOL

#10 Jul 17, 2008
here and there wrote:
I thought that vogel was traveling westbound on woodside in the civic which would have given him ample time to get up to what they consider "excessive speed" and that the mercedes was the one coming eastbound from route 112.
You are right, the civic was heading westbound and had plenty of time to get up to a high rate of speed. The only light they would of had to stop for was back at Buffalo Ave, a long ways away. Its such a shame and I pray for both families. Even if the kids were driving stupid, the families and friends dont deserve to suffer like they are.
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#11 Jul 17, 2008
You are correct I do apologize.
I hope everyone realizes we are just throwing things around to try and figure out some of the variables we will probably never have answers to.

But as we discussed with the Honda the Mercedes could have reached the same rate of speed if not higher because of the power.

And apx. the same for the Honda being that the light on buffalo in he past 14 years i think i caught it green once.
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#12 Jul 17, 2008
It is a longer distance by apx. 0.3miles and the speed limit is actually 55 until just before Pennsylvania Ave.
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#14 Jul 17, 2008
I stand corrected again it was actually changed for the 2003 to be made of aluminum as well as there are 2 models the EX 6cyl. and LX 4cyl. No wonder it looked like a tin can.

"Disc brakes and 16-in. wheels are fitted, except on the lowest-level four-cylinder cars, which get disc/drum brakes and 15-inchers. All Accords now have ABS standard. Honda decided early on that the Accord's new body structure had to rank it at the top of the midsize class in safety crash tests conducted by the government and the insurance industry. Assuming those tests, when they happen, agree with what Honda's own research has shown, the Accord will receive the highest available rating in all the standard impact tests-a distinction it will share only with the Volvo S60 and Lexus IS 300."
Motortrend
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#15 Jul 17, 2008
I don't know the answer to that ?, but it is a good one. And I do agree many kids today get handed everything without having to work for it. In my family and those of close friends I know we had to earn it if we wanted it (and not with good grades) and even then they may help us get it but it was never just given to us.
abc

Newark, NJ

#16 Jul 17, 2008
the driver should have learned from his previous accident
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#17 Jul 17, 2008
and what accident might this be? What happened? Did anyone get hurt? Did anyone die? If he should have learned something it would be nice for you to elaborate so we can all see what he "should have learned"
liner

Hicksville, NY

#18 Jul 17, 2008
Totally Crushed wrote:
and what accident might this be? What happened? Did anyone get hurt? Did anyone die? If he should have learned something it would be nice for you to elaborate so we can all see what he "should have learned"
What, are you a lawyer looking to represent this kid?
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#19 Jul 17, 2008
No just someone who actually cares and would rather have all the facts before condemning a child as most are doing.

What are you ready to be on the jury and lock him up for life without knowing the truth or even caring because someone died?

Since: Jun 08

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Jul 17, 2008
Totally Crushed wrote:
No just someone who actually cares and would rather have all the facts before condemning a child as most are doing.
What are you ready to be on the jury and lock him up for life without knowing the truth or even caring because someone died?
I wouldn't consider a 20 year old a child.
Totally Crushed

Milford, CT

#21 Jul 17, 2008
How do I put this.....The generations of today a 20yo I feel is still a child yes some live on their own, pay their own bills, etc...
But they are not as mature as 20yo from past generations. Or are even given as much responsibility as we were.
It wasn't just as simple as keep ur grades up or watch a sibling while I go to the store.
Keeps your grades up,keep your room clean, your laundry done,watch your siblings while i'm at work,get a job and help pay bills by paying rent and pay your own bills.

The money you paid in rent to your parents didn't always go to bills depending on your financial situitation.

If it didn't it was saved so when you "needed help buying a car" you actually paid for it yourself, but you didn't know that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 15
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4 years later ? 49 min False accusations 57
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 5 hr Ratloder 118,689
Memories Of Old Ronkonkoma (Jul '09) Oct 23 Jeannie1 92
Loud Farts On Pleasure Ave. (Jan '14) Oct 22 Fartin Bill 2
Slime Bags (May '12) Oct 22 Busted 12
Gay Friendly Sayville? Oct 21 Gayville 3
Cops: Mastic, Shirley safer after crackdown - (Nov '07) Oct 21 Joey 209

Medford News Video

Medford Dating
Find my Match

Medford Jobs

Medford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Medford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Medford

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]