Review: Uber Glove And Tanning Co

Posted in the Medford Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LLM

Mankato, MN

#1 Aug 27, 2012
These people have disappeared with my property - through "Trophy Hides" of Ham Lake, MN - their new owner Jared Rinerson, seems to have taken what he needed and ran.
mike larson

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Aug 28, 2012
Uber, or Trophey Hides screwed me as well. I took in a hide from a 2000 pound bull buffalo back in Feb, and now the company and Jared cant be found. This was a skin from the hunt of a lifetime. I paid for the tanning sevices up front and it appears that I have been robbed. Someone needs to do something about this guy, adn this company. Thier internet site is still up and running and consumers can still order and pay for stuff via a credit card. that's not right.
AmyO

Tulsa, OK

#3 Aug 28, 2012
Nothing has changed. I so wish I had seen posts about the company before my mom sent them my grandfathers custom made leather jacket as a sample along with several deer hides. I've submittd a complaint with the BBB, with no resonse, and I've now tried to contact Jared and a lady naed Stephanie via Facebook. I've tried reaching them at 2 phone numbers, both have full voicemail boxes (for several months), and nobody responds to emails via their website, either. I will try going through a state agency next.
Oh deer

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Aug 29, 2012
We stopped in a couple months ago to check on the progress of our hides and they said it would be ready Sept/Oct. My husband drove by yesterday and there was a sign in the door that they had been evicted. They have my first deer and our down payment. We are going to file some complaints, etc. Please update if you make any progress.
AmyO

United States

#5 Aug 29, 2012
I mailed in a complaint to the MN Attotney General today. Best of luck, everyone!
Sean S

Rosemount, MN

#6 Sep 4, 2012
Just found out they filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Sounds a little fishy that all these stories are exactly the same. This Stephanie person was lying about when our hides would be ready and asking for payment up front because it would be a few weeks before they would be ready to send out (that's the story I got in June after I called about the holdup). I had always trusted these people for the last 20 years and now it seems as consumers we are screwed. Just received notice today about the bankruptcy filing. Anybody put thought into getting the DNR involved for violating the "wanton waste" rules by doing God knows what with our hides?
Kevin P

Rochester, MN

#7 Sep 5, 2012
Same story here. Prepaid $80 for a hair-on tanning of a whitetail buck hide that I provided way back in the beginning of 2011 - maybe 2010, it was so long ago that I don't even remember anymore. Heard the same old story and excuses from Uber all along as to why I had not yet received my hide. Then this year they seemed to disappear from the face of the earth. I attempted to contact Uber, they never answered their phones, voicemail boxes always full, never responded to emails. I filed a BBB complaint, no response by Uber to that either - no big surprise. Just got the Chapter 7 notice in the mail yesterday. Uber really took advantage of their customers and screwed them out of their money and their hides. I will be contacting the DNR and filing a Proof of Claim with the court.
jay b

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Sep 6, 2012
We took hides in and prepaid. And, we got screwed. 240.00 bucks for nothing. Please post if you guys get through to get your hides or your money back.
Craig

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Sep 11, 2012
Just recieved the Capter 7 notice in the mail yesterday - Suppose I was listed as a customer seeing I'd taking in a hide last November, pre-paid so it'd be mailed to me when finished. We've called them at least three times begining in April 2012 and were told that because our hide was to be tanned in Black it'd be the last batch to be done. Guess the hide and money are gone for good. cost me more to travel to Mpls. and sit in on the procedings. For anyone that cares, here is the infor for the Meeting Of Creditors on Sept. 18th 2012:
U.S. Courthouse
Rm 1017 (10th Floor)
300 S 4th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55415
AmyO

Tulsa, OK

#10 Sep 11, 2012
Craig wrote:
Just recieved the Capter 7 notice in the mail yesterday - Suppose I was listed as a customer seeing I'd taking in a hide last November, pre-paid so it'd be mailed to me when finished. We've called them at least three times begining in April 2012 and were told that because our hide was to be tanned in Black it'd be the last batch to be done. Guess the hide and money are gone for good. cost me more to travel to Mpls. and sit in on the procedings. For anyone that cares, here is the infor for the Meeting Of Creditors on Sept. 18th 2012:
U.S. Courthouse
Rm 1017 (10th Floor)
300 S 4th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55415
Thank you for the info, Craig. Do you know what the Case # is?
Acer

Ashburn, VA

#12 Sep 12, 2012
I got my notice too. Case # is 12-44960-NCD.

Seems like they are not legally "entitled" to keep the hides as they are personal property. They may file bankruptcy, but it is still my stuff that I sent with the promise it would be converted to a bag. The money isn't nearly as bothersome as the loss of a valued memento of a hunting trip with my wife.
pkixs

Zimmerman, MN

#13 Sep 13, 2012
What I hear is that the owner tried to keep the company going and I believe he really wanted to make everything work.

But banks would not loan him any more money and things went down hill pretty fast after that.

My company did some work for him and also got bounced checks and many empty promises and did work for nothing.

Unfortunately, Hides are just sitting somewhere. Who know how long they will last, before this business mess/ bankruptcy etc.is resolved.
Preston

Atlanta, GA

#14 Sep 13, 2012
Same with my and 2 elk hides. How the hell do we go after this company? What process do I need to go through to be added to the case?
Kris

Ely, MN

#15 Sep 17, 2012
Uber has a dozen of my hides, a jacket to be used as a sample to make two more and $850 dollars to complete the job. Painful! Check out this for more info:
http://www.twincities.com/outdoors/ci_2154784...
Jeff

Framingham, MA

#16 Sep 18, 2012
I have the same story as Craig above. I sent them my hide last November (2011), I called this spring and was told that the black hides were the last to be tanned and would hear from them in about a month. I started calling in early September and was directed to a FULL voice-mailbox. It's pretty disappointing to get screwed like this after having great resuts in the past. Fortunately for me it was just one deerhide and I didn't make an upfront payment, but it is still a shame to have a hide wasted and see so many others get screwed and all the waste.
DPN

Blooming Prairie, MN

#17 Sep 28, 2012
I just filed a claim with the bankruptcy court. My story is similar to everyone else. I dropped off 2 deer hides to be tanned over 1 year ago. I had contacted them a couple of times and was told that they would be done soon. My mistake was to believe them, but then again I had deer hides tanned by Uber before with no problems, but I did not realize the company had been sold. I did not get any notice from the bankruptcy court, but had to look up the information for myself. I do not think these people kept good records from the little I have seen. Good Luck to anyone that has a claim with these guys.
Michael Z

Bethesda, MD

#18 Oct 1, 2012
Sent in my deer hide from the first deer my son seen me shoot (November 2011). Looks like we well never see the hide again. Luckily we preserved the hooves for other purposes without sending it to these thieves. The number above still "works" but refers you to the now defunct number.
Sean S

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Oct 1, 2012
For those that were not able to attend the "Meeting of Creditors" on September 18th--there may be hope!

A small group of us went to the courthouse to get the scoop on what is going on. Basically, Rinerson filed for personal bankruptcy. So Uber did NOT go bankrupt. Rinerson just closed the doors and walked away from the business. The bankruptcy hearing was not about Uber. So what does that mean for our hides? Read this story (I've posted a link at the end), but to paraphrase, the person or entity that now is in possession of the equipment, warehouse, and hides is working to get the hides back to everyone. All the records going back to 2006 are intact. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean all were tanned or are finished properly (e.g. colored), but the person (who is a deer hunter as well and sympathizes with us) has no use for the hides and understands they are not his property. He's remaining anonymous while he figures out the logistics of getting the hides returned--which we were told will cost him upwards of $300,000. He has to remain anonymous otherwise he'd have 700 phone calls and he just couldn't deal with that volume of calls. FYI--we basically blew the phones off the hook for Rinerson's lawyer and the trustee named in the court documents as a result of this mess! We're a powerful group!:-)

Anyway, Rinerson's lawyer was adamant in stating that never in her career in bankruptcy cases has a creditor ever come forward to have her deliver a message like this. She said that he wanted her to tell us all that he's working to make this happen. So it's wait and see. There's not much we can do if this doesn't happen, but the creditor just needed time to put the pieces together. Cross your fingers. There is also the potential for a deal to be made for the assets of Uber to be sold to someone else that could continue the business. Long shot there, but who knows. Anyway, the person/entity thought something may be hashed out within 10 days of September 18th (I'm guessing this meant sale/transfer of ownership of Uber), but obviously we're passed that timeframe. Stay patient and hopefully in the coming weeks/months, we'll start seeing our hides trickle in.

As an FYI, filing a claim doesn't do anything in this case. Again, it's not Uber that's bankrupt. It's Rinerson and his wife. He had to claim ownership of Uber as an asset and as a result of his personsal bankruptcy, the assets of the company become property of this anonymous banker/creditor. We're at the mercy of this anonymous person to help us all out. Here's hoping that he comes through!
Sean S

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Oct 1, 2012
Ugh! Forgot! Here's the link to the story:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21576117/...
Jeff

Framingham, MA

#22 Oct 10, 2012
Has anyone heard anything new regarding this matter? And thank you Sean for the update.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Medford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sex offender to be released again: Antonio Mata... (Jul '08) Jun '16 Hes not a monster 3
News Owatonna Exchange Club to explore the history o... (Jan '10) May '16 allan pichner 11
News Tink Larson Reflects On Fire That Destroyed Par... Apr '16 Spotted Girl 2
News Minneapolis man charged with choking Owatonna g... Apr '16 USA USA USA USA 17
Belart co. (Nov '07) Apr '16 DValentine 104
News One injured in fireworks explosion in southeast... (Nov '08) Feb '16 Rhondasloveone 8
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11

Medford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Medford Mortgages