Township puts Norlo Park under surveillance

Full story: Public Opinion

Guilford Township Supervisors will be keeping an eye on activity at the township park near Fayetteville.
Comments
1 - 20 of 59 Comments Last updated Mar 14, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
America rocks

Fayetteville, PA

#1 Dec 8, 2008
Is the $46,000 plus the additional maintenance fees to keep this service in the future really less expensive than taking care of the "sporadic vandalism"?

“Don't tread on me!”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#2 Dec 8, 2008
The park is nice but I don't think tax payer dollars should have been spent to build the thing in the first place.

“Not fallen”

Since: May 08

WalMartBoro, PA

#3 Dec 8, 2008
Whether this or that, the people who use this park are surely happy about this. For example, have you ever tried to play tennis on a court missing it's net? It costs a lot of money to resurface a court, too.
single and free

Newville, PA

#4 Dec 8, 2008
i think it's a great idea to put surveillance there...the punks in Fayetteville have increased over the past several years and they don't give a flying hoot about anybody else's property and their parents sure don't care a hoot about what they are doing or where they are.i should know cause i live in Fayetteville and see a lot of what happens
single and free

Newville, PA

#5 Dec 8, 2008
on a second note if i do see destruction or vandalism of someone else's property i do call the psp
Erin

New Castle, DE

#6 Dec 8, 2008
What the cameras see is transmitted via the Internet to where? Who watches? What is the salary of the person, or persons, who will watch one, or more, computer screens to observe what is seen by the surveillance cameras? Why was that important detail left out of the story? Having the surveillance cameras does not improve security if no one is taking notice of what activity is being seen by the cameras and alerting police when culprits are vandalizing the park.

“Who, me?”

Since: Nov 08

Brooklyn,NY

#7 Dec 8, 2008
jtb_hypocrite wrote:
The park is nice but I don't think tax payer dollars should have been spent to build the thing in the first place.
Interesting. Please provide a list of items you consider 'tax worthy' and another of those you would exclude.
Jack

New Castle, DE

#8 Dec 8, 2008
The key word in the article is "consultant." That means Guilford Twp is PAYING someone to advise them on security matters. So, in addition to the cost of the hardware for the closed circuit TV gear, they are paying the consultant. Are we to assume the video is sent to computers in the police station and is being monitored 24/7 by someone there? Not 24/7? Fewer hours per day than that? Fewer days per week? What is reality, because that tells how efficient the effort to combat crime will be.

“Don't tread on me!”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#9 Dec 8, 2008
Sir Fatboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. Please provide a list of items you consider 'tax worthy' and another of those you would exclude.
Tax dollars should be spent on needs, not wants.

The park, while very nice, is a want and not a need.

But as long as governmental people are spending someone else's money, it's easy to willy-nilly spend away.

Since: Dec 08

Pottstown, PA

#10 Dec 8, 2008
BGSU wrote:
Whether this or that, the people who use this park are surely happy about this. For example, have you ever tried to play tennis on a court missing it's net? It costs a lot of money to resurface a court, too.
Did you ever try to play tennis on a court that is under water because the whole park was poorly designed?
Al Bundy

United States

#11 Dec 8, 2008
The $46,000 and the fee to the consultant are a complete waste of time and money. C'mon Guilford, get in tune with the times. Just a police presence in the area via patrols will cut down on this problem right away. PSP and other police agencies would be happy to help you.

The park is a laughing matter itself, because it was built where nobody can get to it. Please provide some legitimate attendance figures for the park. I don't consider busing of senior citizens and the handicapped to the site to be legitimate attendance.
Dickory Dock

Gardners, PA

#12 Dec 8, 2008
PSP is understaffed and over-worked on call voulume.

Forget our county sheriff deputies - simply warrant servers and court bus drivers.

There is no local or township police force covering Fayetteville.

This is the ONLY way to safeguard the taxpayer investment at this park. In this day and age outside of Franklin County, most parks DO have a video surveillance system OR on-site 24/7 staff Security.

Most of you would complain if instead they were spending $400,000 on a township police department (but that day will come soon too).

Get over it - it's a wise use of money to protect YOUR investment.

“Who, me?”

Since: Nov 08

Brooklyn,NY

#13 Dec 8, 2008
jtb_hypocrite wrote:
<quoted text>
Tax dollars should be spent on needs, not wants.
The park, while very nice, is a want and not a need.
But as long as governmental people are spending someone else's money, it's easy to willy-nilly spend away.
Your answer is insufficient without listing what you considering to be needs and wants.
Al Bundy

United States

#14 Dec 8, 2008
Dickory Dock--typical govt pencil pusher response. Who is subsidizing you?

I'd bet it costs more for maintenance on that park than it is worth,(grass, snow removal, garbage, landscaping). Set up a private foundation to oversee the park.
James

New Castle, DE

#15 Dec 8, 2008
Dickory Dock wrote:
PSP is understaffed and over-worked on call voulume.
Forget our county sheriff deputies - simply warrant servers and court bus drivers.
There is no local or township police force covering Fayetteville.
This is the ONLY way to safeguard the taxpayer investment at this park. In this day and age outside of Franklin County, most parks DO have a video surveillance system OR on-site 24/7 staff Security.
Most of you would complain if instead they were spending $400,000 on a township police department (but that day will come soon too).
Get over it - it's a wise use of money to protect YOUR investment.
If no police department, where will the TV pictures be sent? Who'll monitor what the cameras see? You say using CCTV is the only way, then explain fully how it'll function and who will go to the park when a vandal is seen on TV destroying something? There has to be a human interface? Where? Up to now, this appears to be a bad idea.
Fayetteville Resident

Fayetteville, PA

#16 Dec 8, 2008
Anyone living near Norlo Park understands that the park is a huge asset to the area. The park is well maintained and gets a lot of use. Since I moved to Franklin Co. a few years ago, I have been extremely impressed with the foresight of Guilford Township to plan for a park like this. Planned recreation areas raise property values and are becoming increasingly necessary as land is being consumed by houses and industry. By investing in security, the township is trying to protect their investment and us. Hooray for Guilford Twp.
Al Bundy

United States

#17 Dec 8, 2008
Fayetteville Resident--Your response is farcical. Why should the rest of the township and county pay for your security and property values?

Yes Siree--big crime wave out there in Fayetteville. Did somebody steal another sunflower plant or a .25 cent candy bar?

“Don't tread on me!”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#18 Dec 8, 2008
Al Bundy wrote:
Fayetteville Resident--Your response is farcical. Why should the rest of the township and county pay for your security and property values?
Yes Siree--big crime wave out there in Fayetteville. Did somebody steal another sunflower plant or a .25 cent candy bar?
My car insurance is more because I live in the Fayetteville area than if I live in some other areas of the county.

“Don't tread on me!”

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#19 Dec 8, 2008
Sir Fatboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your answer is insufficient without listing what you considering to be needs and wants.
Your need of satellite/cable tv would be a want for me.

My need to tithe 10% of my income to God would be a ludicrous expenditure to you.

But on a municipal level, a park is not a need, it is a want; a nice thing to have; a possible improvement to the community, etc. But it is not a need.

Needs are roads, police, water, sewer, food, electricity, etc.

The park is purely a want.

The flowers outside my home are nice and they add beauty in the summer. But they are hardly a need.
Another Voice in ur Head

Newville, PA

#20 Dec 8, 2008
The park is a huge asset to the area. My husband will drive himself and his 6 year old son over there frequently so they can bicycle in a safe, traffic-free environment for the child. The cameras won't totally prevent crime, but they sure will make it much easier to catch perpetrators of vandalism, and put the cost of repairing the damage on those who cause it. Even frequent police patrols, which the state police won't ever agree to, wouldn't actually catch the vandals unless they are lucky enough to drive through while some dummy is breaking stuff up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mechanicsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 11 hr sammy 159
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 16 hr Obama Defends Mus... 3,924
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 16 hr Our Community Org... 51,303
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Aug 21 Frustrated 30
50-unit senior housing apartment building plann... Jul '14 Shelly Slader 1
York County man accused of assaulting 7-year-ol... Jun '14 Anonymous 9
Review: RLS Auto And Truck Repair Jun '14 Dillbag 1
•••
•••
•••

Mechanicsburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Mechanicsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Mechanicsburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mechanicsburg
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••