SAVING SSVC: State Rep. Kauffman says...

SAVING SSVC: State Rep. Kauffman says study on impact of Scotla...

There are 18 comments on the Public Opinion story from Mar 30, 2009, titled SAVING SSVC: State Rep. Kauffman says study on impact of Scotla.... In it, Public Opinion reports that:

The recent impact study on the closing of Scotland School for Veterans' Children will likely have an impact on Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

voter

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Mar 31, 2009
That report was just a bunch lies and misrepresentations. I hope the that the impact that it has is us getting a new representative next election. Rep Kauffman has proven himself unworthy with his stance on this issue and the manner in which he has presented his views.
Hick

Fayetteville, PA

#2 Mar 31, 2009
If you have read about the cost of other studies, $1500 is no study.
Greg

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Mar 31, 2009
Close it and close it now!!!
Tom Collins

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Mar 31, 2009
Everything has a cost. Have your researched the company that DID the research & the study? They are a well respected organization that is used by government agencies for this type of study regularly. But whatever, just close the school & move the kids from South Mountain down to SSVC. I'm wondering what type of impact that will have on property values in Scot-Greene Estates. Say what you want but closing SSVC will NOT be good for this community even if it is good for the entire state.
Jack

Plainfield, NJ

#5 Mar 31, 2009
Kauffman is working hard to alienate voters. Whatta sap! The so-called $1,500 study is as valid as a $3 dollar bill. Can't believe Rob is waving the study around pretending that it has validity. On the other hand, if it is actually a veteran benefit to send a vet's child to SSVC why doesn't Kauffman press charges against SSVC officials who have given that benefit to people who are not the children of a military veteran and not eligible for the benefit?
Mary

Plainfield, NJ

#6 Mar 31, 2009
In a LTE the other day a SSVC official attacked the DMVA data used by the researcher who wrote the so-called "study". It's not the data but the findings and wild conclusions reached by the "researcher" who wrote the report. His claims about the economic impact on Franklin Co. are way off base and that's why the DMVA, and other reasonable people, found them suspect and overblown. But that's why he was paid $1,500 isn't it? A propaganda piece was needed--desperately-- and that's what PSEA got for their $1,500. Apparently, Rob Kauffman cannot figure that out and is blindly carrying water for the SSVC. Rendell's decision should not be altered by the bogus study. Close the expensive school.
anon

Marysville, PA

#7 Mar 31, 2009
I expect it will RAISE nearby property values. Ten years ago when we moved here the real estate agents told us not to buy there because of the troubles.
JUSTASKING

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Mar 31, 2009
Why is Kauffman taking SSVC more seriously than the other companies losing their jobs? Is it the notoriety? Does he not see that the unemployment is highest since 1986? That involves EVERYBODY not just a select few. Was he not elected to protect & support EVERYBODY'S needs & not just a select few? Get real & focus on the entire area & help the thousands that are looking for jobs now not in the future or change the name of the school to what it really is 'Philadelphia School for State Support'.
djb

Lexington Park, MD

#9 Mar 31, 2009
I think you as a representtive of all the people, do not take into account the number of your voting public which do not see why so much tax dollars are spent to keep one private school open when all of the districts in your voting area are hurting for tax dollars to stay out of operating in the red. Have you considered this when you fight to keep this school open and that the voting public is being taxed to the limit in both county/borough and school taxes. You are trying to please a few and not many folks in your area. I am in my seventies and do not know how much longer I can stay in my house and pay these high taxes, yet you want us to pay more.
Say What

Overland Park, KS

#10 Mar 31, 2009
The PSEA Union one of the most powerful in the STATE,whose job it is to represent the teachers, pays $1500 to a company for a study & Rob Kauffman jumps on board....If it looks like a DUCK & walks like a DUCK...IT IS PROBABLY IS A DUCK!!!!!!
Another supporter

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Mar 31, 2009
The children at the South Mountain Secure Treatment facility are court order adjudicated youth. These are children who are one step away from the state prison system. It has been rumored that the state is considering using the SSVC property for additional court ordered juveniles. They would have both minimum & maximum security individuals on site at this facility. Guard gates & barbed wire fencing around the property. Most of these children come from the inner city as well. For our sake, I hope they keep SSVC the way it is & keep this criminal children up in the mountains where they are out of site & of mind. SSVC has NO CHILDREN with any criminal records. Boy, are we all in for a rude awakening when they move these other kids into our backyard.
tony

United States

#12 Mar 31, 2009
How can you assume that the South Mountain Treatment facility will be moved to SSVC. If this is your argument to keep the school open then I am going to start a rumor that the SSVC will be replaced with a gas station that provides free gas to everyone in Franklin Cty. The point I am making is lets close the school first and work with the Gov. on a plan to replace the facility with a tax paying, job producing alternative.
JJIR

Chambersburg, PA

#13 Mar 31, 2009
I guess the Philly folks will have to start taking care of there own kids again......
State Rep Kauffman

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Mar 31, 2009
djb wrote:
I think you as a representtive of all the people, do not take into account the number of your voting public which do not see why so much tax dollars are spent to keep one private school open when all of the districts in your voting area are hurting for tax dollars to stay out of operating in the red. Have you considered this when you fight to keep this school open and that the voting public is being taxed to the limit in both county/borough and school taxes. You are trying to please a few and not many folks in your area. I am in my seventies and do not know how much longer I can stay in my house and pay these high taxes, yet you want us to pay more.
State Rep. Kauffman less than 1 out of 4 want SSVC to continue. http://www.topix.com/forum/source/chambersbur...
State Rep. Kauffman, what is wrong with you?
Hal

Plainfield, NJ

#15 Mar 31, 2009
Another supporter wrote:
The children at the South Mountain Secure Treatment facility are court order adjudicated youth. These are children who are one step away from the state prison system. It has been rumored that the state is considering using the SSVC property for additional court ordered juveniles. They would have both minimum & maximum security individuals on site at this facility. Guard gates & barbed wire fencing around the property. Most of these children come from the inner city as well. For our sake, I hope they keep SSVC the way it is & keep this criminal children up in the mountains where they are out of site & of mind. SSVC has NO CHILDREN with any criminal records. Boy, are we all in for a rude awakening when they move these other kids into our backyard.
Rumor. BS to scare people who live near SSVC.
ssgtfry usmc combat dav

San Juan, Puerto Rico

#16 Mar 31, 2009
mr gov it is very possible that if not for the many vets you might not have the job you have now insted of sending the stATE STORE EMPLOYES TO SCHOOL PUT THAT MONEY TO THANK THE MANY VETRANS FOR AJOB WELL DONE IWAS BORN IN PENNA AND RAISED IN NEWVILLE BUT NOW I LIVE IN PUERTO RICO RICHARD E FRY USMC RET
Joy

Plainfield, NJ

#17 Mar 31, 2009
Tom Collins wrote:
Everything has a cost. Have your researched the company that DID the research & the study? They are a well respected organization that is used by government agencies for this type of study regularly. But whatever, just close the school & move the kids from South Mountain down to SSVC. I'm wondering what type of impact that will have on property values in Scot-Greene Estates. Say what you want but closing SSVC will NOT be good for this community even if it is good for the entire state.
Scare tactic. Pure BS about moving South Mountain inmates. You created the rumor out of whole cloth with no support your rumor.
who knows

Carlisle, PA

#18 Mar 31, 2009
Close the SSVC. Why worry about giving kids a good education instead of a mediocre one or becoming a viable citizen instead of a drug dealer. Send them back to Philly... that is where the money will go anyway. Seems to me I recall quite a few years back another local campus was on the brink of closing. Now look at the Wilson Campus. Instead of just looking at the money factor look at the costs. I think that is what the study was trying to do. By the way I see Menno Haven turning it into a third campus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mechanicsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) May 23 Adam 44
News Cumberland County man disappears from nudist ca... May 17 nudistpersonalsorg 1
News Silver Spring Township Planning Commission forw... Apr 30 anonymous 1
Private Stock meat company (Oct '11) Apr '15 Well informed 41
pros and con's?! Jan '15 WenSaint 1
Rude manger at Target a must read Dec '14 dissatisfied cust... 1
News What's the best way to help an elderly dog? (May '09) Dec '14 Sam 18
More from around the web

Mechanicsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]