Planned South Mountain armory to be for Stryker training

The Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs has awarded a design-build contract to R.S. Mowery and Sons Inc., Mechanicsburg, for a National Guard armory at South Mountain. Full Story
SpiroDagknew

York, PA

#1 Jul 22, 2008
I hope they have excellent security 24/7 up there.

Good luck.
Former SM Resident

Frederick, MD

#2 Jul 22, 2008
Who is going to protect all of that very expensive military equipment from the locals? We will probably see one of the Strykers up on blocks with the tires missing 10 minutes after the troops leave!

“common sense ain't so common”

Since: Dec 07

St.Thomas

#3 Jul 22, 2008
Being that it will be a military installation,it will be guarded and secured by military forces, not unemployed security guards from Wally-world. They will be armed and will have a Zero-tolerance policy when it comes to safe guarding the equipment. Probably the biggest difference will be that they will not be relying on the State police to provide assistance, as they will have their own arresting powers. I would certainly, in a sick sort of way, encourage the locals to have at it....nothing like live target practice!
Bang Bang

Fayetteville, PA

#4 Jul 22, 2008
Mobius1 wrote:
Being that it will be a military installation,it will be guarded and secured by military forces, not unemployed security guards from Wally-world. They will be armed and will have a Zero-tolerance policy when it comes to safe guarding the equipment. Probably the biggest difference will be that they will not be relying on the State police to provide assistance, as they will have their own arresting powers. I would certainly, in a sick sort of way, encourage the locals to have at it....nothing like live target practice!
Sure they will! Just like Letternkenny. Best place to salvage (pillage) in the area. It only takes one on the inside.
worldinspector

Bridgeton, NJ

#5 Jul 22, 2008
More waste of money and people disguised as employment and "service."
Hippie Chick Earth Mother

Frederick, MD

#6 Jul 22, 2008
I'm looking forward to it. Maybe, just maybe these NG's will be a positive example to the few "misguided" youth on the mountain. Already their anticipated arrival has the roads department widening & patching the road in several places. They will have to eat, so hopefully someone will buy and re-open the store/gas station, there's only so many pizza-burgers a person can eat @ the bar! Their presence MAY energize the residents to take more pride in their/our beautiful community also, and finally, maybe the State Police will remember us up there and make their presence more known, thereby cutting down on the racers and the B&E artists.
BigJohn

Barnegat, NJ

#7 Jul 22, 2008
worldinspector wrote:
More waste of money and people disguised as employment and "service."
Agree 100%.
a concerned parent

Wilmington, DE

#8 Jul 22, 2008
Yeah, but what about all of the troubled kids that are being held there in the detention center. Did anybody ever think about them and their ability to run from the programs and possibly get their hands on millitary equipment.
jitnot

Wilmington, DE

#9 Jul 22, 2008
That is exactly why they ( the kids in the detention center) are in a locked facility. Yes, they do go outside for p.t. and for other activities, but they have more staff with them at all times than children out on a playground. I work and live on the mtn and am looking forward to the new facility, and the jobs that may come opened to the residents that live in this community.
ArmyVet

Newburg, PA

#10 Jul 22, 2008
This beats the heck out of closing the South Mountain facility, or leasing, or privitizing it.
This is good news for the entire area. I'm happy the Army is coming to town.
Sam Wagaman

Shippensburg, PA

#11 Aug 30, 2009
Mobius1 wrote:
I agree. After living here for an entire 37 years which seems like an eternity is way to long for the armpit of the world South Mountain to finally have some sort of law enforcement. Heck I can count on both hands who over the years were mayors of South Mountain and I can also count on both hands the num ber of incidents that have occurred where there needed to be more then just a cruiser come to the scene of an issue. Then again were are talking good ole South Mountain west virginia. were we are all related in some way or another. either your a kauffman, wagaman,baker,daywalt.or spoonhour. Must have been cold winters is all I can figure. So please by all means kids . when the armory is finished please go play capture the flag near the building .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mechanicsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 9 hr Scapegoat 51,531
Craft beer boom has central Pennsylvania brewer... 22 hr Joe 1
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Tue Skip Intel - Blam... 4,021
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Sep 29 R Nixon 186
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Sep 14 Sthomas 31
50-unit senior housing apartment building plann... Jul '14 Shelly Slader 1
York County man accused of assaulting 7-year-ol... Jun '14 Anonymous 9
Mechanicsburg Dating
Find my Match

Mechanicsburg Jobs

Mechanicsburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Mechanicsburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Mechanicsburg

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]