Study touts SSVC's role in economy

Full story: Public Opinion

Closing Scotland School for Veterans Children would be "an economic shock" for Franklin County, according to a report released Monday.
Comments
41 - 49 of 49 Comments Last updated Apr 1, 2009
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Daddy

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Dave wrote:
I wish someone could tell me how a student that is in 3,4,5 grade be recruited for sports, and have any possible way of knowing how that child will do when he is in jr high or sr high. when a place can do that, why would they need any funding at all, they could just get there money from the lottery, anyone who uses that excuse is full of it. they sound like a sore looser to me, 288 kids vs 1600
HA HA what a joke
Can't even go by blood lines if the father is not known.
SSVC STUDENT

Fort Washington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

The days of hate need to end. I think many people don't want Scotland around simply because they don't like black people. When will the color of someones skin truely not be who they are? Come on people grow up!!!! The economy of Scotland is going to drop dramaticly does no one care? I do!!! Let's start looking at the big picture. What's really going to happen in the big picture when the school closes. I'll tell you, The economy of scotland will drop and many will be without jobs. Let's think about that
SSVC STUDENT

Fort Washington, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

My Money wrote:
I have just a few questions about SSVC.
If it's such a great school why is it not overflowing with students? Gulf War, Iraq, there should be applicants everywhere.
Who is the recruiter, has he been asleep or semi-retired?
Why don't these students take SAT tests rather than walk right into college?
Why is there no votech program? Had one.
Ever since the last scare of shutting down in the early 90's no one has really stepped up to prevent where we are today. That includes Frank Frame. When you let the student body get so small what do you think would happen. Rendell is right in his decision. Kudos to Alloway, other than ask questions about the staff and property he has not backed saving the school. Kauffman fell into a trap.
Mr. know-it-all,
Just to inform you of a few little points
A school can only house so many students
Scotland students DO take SATs
In fact I'm going to take SATs in May. I don't know where you got the idea that we don't take them but you are so totally wrong. Maybe you should do a little more research. Just because we have such a high success rate your mad it's understandable. Maybe you should look into the school and think about getting your kids here if it makes you mad maybe it would make you happy to know that your kid will succed here.
shotpappy

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

close the damm place! i have been there and done that.
shotpappy

York, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

I started at Scotland in 1950. Yes I had the following (1) a place to live
(2) education
(3) health care
(4) free second hand clothes
(5)and more
I have not been back to Scotland since I my graduation.I have no ideal how the school is run today. But I know how it was in 1950 to my graduation. If you walk the line you were fine,but
step over that line you would pay and I do mean PAY. First of all you had MATRONS that were never married or divorced and most of them never had children.(add that up).Then you had Doc Stevens and his boys. I could tell alot of good stories but I could tell some hellish ones too.
But all in all this place has seen it's better days. The only thing these young ladies and gentlemen miss is that they can not come home everyday and hear I LOVE YOU from their MOM and DAD
or just one of them. I know how that can hurt and it still does today. I have two grown sons today and everytime I see or talk to them I tell those three little words.
carol bowers

Eatontown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

shotpappy wrote:
I started at Scotland in 1950. Yes I had the following (1) a place to live
(2) education
(3) health care
(4) free second hand clothes
(5)and more
I have not been back to Scotland since I my graduation.I have no ideal how the school is run today. But I know how it was in 1950 to my graduation. If you walk the line you were fine,but
step over that line you would pay and I do mean PAY. First of all you had MATRONS that were never married or divorced and most of them never had children.(add that up).Then you had Doc Stevens and his boys. I could tell alot of good stories but I could tell some hellish ones too.
But all in all this place has seen it's better days. The only thing these young ladies and gentlemen miss is that they can not come home everyday and hear I LOVE YOU from their MOM and DAD
or just one of them. I know how that can hurt and it still does today. I have two grown sons today and everytime I see or talk to them I tell those three little words.
its not the same there any more. when i was there it was like you said. now the kids can all most do any thing they like. things i hear from who is working there i be like when i was there you did that you get it! and you will pay for what you did.now they do most any thing they like.
The Public SAYS

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2009

ONLY 24% say "keep it open".

View the results of a 6 week public poll.

Click
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/chambersbur...
Turk

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

SSVC STUDENT wrote:
The days of hate need to end. I think many people don't want Scotland around simply because they don't like black people. When will the color of someones skin truely not be who they are? Come on people grow up!!!! The economy of Scotland is going to drop dramaticly does no one care? I do!!! Let's start looking at the big picture. What's really going to happen in the big picture when the school closes. I'll tell you, The economy of scotland will drop and many will be without jobs. Let's think about that
So you think the people who don't want to pay $45,000 per student, per year to keep this place open don't like black people? Who's really exhibiting racist tendencies here? Looking at it from another prospective, apparently that the people who currently control admission at SSVC don't like anyone but black people.
Well Put

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2009

Turk wrote:
<quoted text>
So you think the people who don't want to pay $45,000 per student, per year to keep this place open don't like black people? Who's really exhibiting racist tendencies here? Looking at it from another prospective, apparently that the people who currently control admission at SSVC don't like anyone but black people.
Thanks Turk!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mechanicsburg Discussions

Search the Mechanicsburg Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Mon T Wolf 51,196
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Mon Eddie Swindell 3,824
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Jul 19 Teflon Don 28
York County man accused of assaulting 7-year-ol... Jun '14 Anonymous 9
Review: RLS Auto And Truck Repair Jun '14 Dillbag 1
Private Stock meat company (Oct '11) Jun '14 Hurt 38
Police search for man involved in assault (Oct '13) Jun '14 Petal Power 10
•••
•••
•••
Mechanicsburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••