Supermarket wine kiosks opening in Me...

Supermarket wine kiosks opening in Mechanicsburg, Harrisburg

There are 16 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jun 22, 2010, titled Supermarket wine kiosks opening in Mechanicsburg, Harrisburg. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board will begin testing wine kiosks at Wegmans Food Market on the Carlisle Pike in Mechanicsburg and at Giant Food Store on Linglestown Road, Harrisburg on Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Tipper

Harrisburg, PA

#1 Jun 22, 2010
Only the government could f*ck up something as easy as selling wine this badly.
DVDA

York, PA

#2 Jun 22, 2010
Pre set requirements? How about just being able to buy wine, beer and liquor at the grocery store, and weed for that matter....Talk about a monopoly. Pa liquor stores are a racket.

“Vladdy's little impaler.”

Since: Jun 08

15th century Wallacia

#3 Jun 23, 2010
What the hell are "pre-set requirements?"

Hang on PA government, the 1920's will be back in no time, and you will be ready.
Forward Thinking State

York, PA

#4 Jun 23, 2010
Kudos to PA...we are way ahead of MOST states in this move, actually, in all governmental moves. I'll bet you by the 22nd Century, we in PA will be able to walk into a supermarket and purchase a case of beer. But we all know that innovative thinking/new fads ALWAYS begin in PA, then move South and finally West to CA. PA legislator, keep up the great work. That's why we pay you those exorbitant salaries, ah, with unlimited perks.
AVB

United States

#5 Jun 23, 2010
A bunch of political hacks trying to save their jobs. I can see the lawsuit now when the State of Pennsylvania refuses a product to a person of legal age because the 1.) License doesn't scan, 2.) the idiot on the other end can't read a passport, a legal form of ID. 3.) Military Common Access Cards (another legal form of ID) won't work in the machines. 4.) Only 21 states use a magnetic stripe on their licenses which means that residents of 29 states will be denied. 5.) the breathalyzer requirement is not what the law currently says.

This will fail as miserably as the PLCB does at "control" being that PA is 6th in population but 4th in alcohol fatalities.
flhs

York, PA

#6 Jun 23, 2010
I will just go to a state store thank you.You don't have to your lips on a breatalizer after who knows who.
lthoughton

Telford, PA

#7 Jun 24, 2010
So, 48 other states allow private sales of liquor and not one of those private stores (go ahead and try to find one) sells liquor from one of these convoluted kiosks. I guess private industry finds it is more effective and efficient for a customer to simply buy off the shelves. Hey PA, wake up! We don't need state stores and state bureaucrats deciding how we should buy from them! Again, 48 other states have PRIVATE liquor stores, and the world isn't coming to an end. Contact your state representative and tell them to support Mike Turzai's bill to privatize the PLCB.
E Norma Stitz

Ephrata, PA

#8 Jun 24, 2010
This is a ridiculous idea. Just allow the stores to sell everything like most every other state in the USA.

Good old backwoods, stuffy, heavy meat and gravy gray haired Pennsylvania. Sometimes I am surprised they allow the internet in this state
Hugh Jass

Ephrata, PA

#9 Jun 25, 2010
dumb dumb dumb idea
bullhorn of truth

York, PA

#10 Jun 25, 2010
What happens when a teenager steals their parents drivers license,swipes it and a bottle of wine pops out for them?
Hugh Jass

Ephrata, PA

#11 Jun 25, 2010
bullhorn of truth wrote:
What happens when a teenager steals their parents drivers license,swipes it and a bottle of wine pops out for them?
A big party!
bullhorn of truth

York, PA

#12 Jun 25, 2010
Exactly Hugh.It would have been better to just put the wine in a special room with a cashier who could check IDs to make sure the ID matched the person buying it.It would have cut the costs of the machines and made the wine cheaper too.
Hugh Jass

Ephrata, PA

#13 Jun 25, 2010
I actually heard on the news that these things will be monitored by a state employee by video cameras, and the units will also incorporate a Breathalyzer!
How crazy is that? You are correct, just set up a register.
flhs

York, PA

#14 Jun 25, 2010
Hugh Jass wrote:
I actually heard on the news that these things will be monitored by a state employee by video cameras, and the units will also incorporate a Breathalyzer!
How crazy is that? You are correct, just set up a register.
They are spending money for video survelence plus paying an employee to basically watch a monitor.This state is so backwards.Wonder if the cost is reflected in the wine price.I would just adjust my route to go past a liquor store and save the hassle of taking a breathalizer.
get facts straight

Orange, NJ

#15 Jul 2, 2010
you people have no grasp of the facts:

1) breathalyzer requires no contact...i used it and blew from about a ft away.
2) i bet they dont have more than one "monitor" for every 10 machines versus a ton of employees sitting at every store.
3) you cant simply steal your parents ID...they have a person in the call center verify the person in fron of the kiosk is the person on the ID they inserted.
4) 16 other states operate similarily to Pa not 2 as is stated above.
5) every state is federally required to have a magnetic strip and a barcode and the machine does accept military id and ids from all 50 states.

its clear that the comments ive read about the kiosks on this and pretty much every blog are left by folks that want to privatize the system and the kiosk is simply taking "collateral damage". its very easy to use and certainly doesnt take any longer to buy 4 bottles and checkout at the kiosk than it does at a state store. i watched the kiosk for about an hr monday and i counted about 20 bottles sold during that told...the people all seemed to love it.

“ad verecundiam”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#16 Jul 3, 2010
E Norma Stitz wrote:
Good old backwoods, stuffy, heavy meat and gravy gray haired Pennsylvania. Sometimes I am surprised they allow the internet in this state
Thank you for the chuckle

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mechanicsburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News PSP trooper charged with DUI, was Troop H spoke... Dec 30 bubba navy 3
wow actavis discontinued but you can still get ... (Jan '16) Dec 29 Generation Wuss 4
News Blue and Gray Bar & Grill opens in Gettysburg (Apr '12) Dec 19 Johnny Sphincters 212
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) Dec '16 Philly Landlord 91
News Organization calls male circumcision unnecessar... Oct '16 intactivist 1
Trump for President, He will win. watch Aug '16 Dale Earnhard 1
Help finding property Jul '16 Clementine 1

Mechanicsburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Mechanicsburg Mortgages