OP-ED: Lawmakers ignore loopholes in Megan's Law

Full story: York Dispatch

It seemed like a no-brainer during an election year. Lawmakers would show they are tough on crime and at the same time crack down on out-of-state pedophiles breaking the law.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Shelomith Stow

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2010

Or perhaps it is because someone has done his homework--i.e. research--and knows that continuing to pour money down the rabbit hole known as the sex offender registry does nothing to prevent sexual crime against children or adults. Since no more than 1% of sexual assault against children is committed by registered sex offenders, once one has done the research, this is the only logical conclusion to come to. If there is any money floating around--or any way to scrape some up--implement educational and awareness programs in the community and the schools about the cause of well over 90% of all sexual crime, especially that against children: the family members and acquaintances that the children know, trust, and love.
matthewhobbs444

Bridgewater, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2010

You notice how legislation, and political year are always mentioned??? The registry is a political ploy, a smoke screen, a scape goat tactic to keep those who are not fortunate enough to become informed in the pockets of those politicians. Families do not want to hear that 90+% of offenses are done by relatives and acquaintances. Then one would really have to take a look at some behaviors that they have been ignoring. Perhaps a child that is not getting along in school, or one that is really quiet, a child that distances themselves when a certain person is around? The signs go on, and on. Money better spent on education.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mechanicsburg Discussions

Search the Mechanicsburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 57 min Pa voter 51,447
Group Committed to Afghanistan Despite Shooting 8 hr lady 2
Locators, Inc. Is it a scam? (Feb '11) 16 hr patricia lacy 23
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 17 hr Independent Voter 3,557
Review: Flinchys Apr 8 Luvsgutfood 1
Review: JEN Rabensteins Pet Grooming Apr 2 jen rabenstein 1
Party Rental by Event Central Mar '14 bibi 2
•••
•••
•••
Mechanicsburg Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Mechanicsburg Jobs

•••