Next Last
Im Ready

Brunswick, GA

#1 Oct 11, 2011
Telfair needs new jail!
Concerned Citizen

Centerville, IA

#2 Oct 11, 2011
The jail isn't the issue, crooks like Mr.Smith and the crooks that came with him harassing citizens of this county and putting them in jail under false pretenses with made up or fake charges against them is. I hope everyone gets out and votes against Mr. Smith in the next election, this county can't handle another term of his idiocy.
Im Ready

United States

#4 Oct 12, 2011
Sale me on this one... Tell me how getting a new Sheriff is going to save me as a Tax payer some Money? Is this going to cut the cost on Housing Inmates? Save money on them 1990 Patrol Cars they drive? Help them Deputies that are working for 23000 dollars a year? Sale me on your Idea's there Champ...
Concerned Citizen wrote:
The jail isn't the issue, crooks like Mr.Smith and the crooks that came with him harassing citizens of this county and putting them in jail under false pretenses with made up or fake charges against them is. I hope everyone gets out and votes against Mr. Smith in the next election, this county can't handle another term of his idiocy.
TC Citizen

Centerville, IA

#5 Oct 12, 2011
Im Ready wrote:
Sale me on this one... Tell me how getting a new Sheriff is going to save me as a Tax payer some Money? Is this going to cut the cost on Housing Inmates? Save money on them 1990 Patrol Cars they drive? Help them Deputies that are working for 23000 dollars a year? Sale me on your Idea's there Champ...
<quoted text>
Telfair Co. has never had nor needed 40 deputies on the county payroll. Sherriff Johnny Smith thinks that he can hire enough people at the counties expense to help get him re-elected. He is already telling them that if they can't talk people into voting for him, they will not have a job. Now that he realizes that he will likely not get re-elected he is trying to get them hired by Dodge Co. after the Telfair Co. tax payers have paid to have them POST certified. Also the Sherriff and two of his gang are driving new vehicles at our expense. Less money wasted and stolen by Sherriff Johnny Smith means LESS TAXES!
Im Ready

United States

#6 Oct 13, 2011
Do Tell... Who are two of his Gang driving New vehicle's? Who is he trying to get Dodge County to hire that the tax payers have footed the bills for? I really dont think you can find forty Deputies on the payroll either..And of course if a Sheriff hires a person he wants there support and vote.. Thats not a hidden secret, would kinda be Dumb to hire a person who is against you wouldn't it?
TC Citizen wrote:
<quoted text> Telfair Co. has never had nor needed 40 deputies on the county payroll. Sherriff Johnny Smith thinks that he can hire enough people at the counties expense to help get him re-elected. He is already telling them that if they can't talk people into voting for him, they will not have a job. Now that he realizes that he will likely not get re-elected he is trying to get them hired by Dodge Co. after the Telfair Co. tax payers have paid to have them POST certified. Also the Sherriff and two of his gang are driving new vehicles at our expense. Less money wasted and stolen by Sherriff Johnny Smith means LESS TAXES!
TC Citizen

Centerville, IA

#7 Oct 13, 2011
Im Ready wrote:
Do Tell... Who are two of his Gang driving New vehicle's? Who is he trying to get Dodge County to hire that the tax payers have footed the bills for? I really dont think you can find forty Deputies on the payroll either..And of course if a Sheriff hires a person he wants there support and vote.. Thats not a hidden secret, would kinda be Dumb to hire a person who is against you wouldn't it?
<quoted text>
You must be a Smith or a deputy or not from Telfair Co.
No problems

United States

#8 Oct 13, 2011
I think that stopping the guy always driving the big SUV (chief deputy?) EVERYWHERE wold be a good start to saving some money. Lets see...he drives his wife around to eat and takes his kids to school in it and shopping locally out of uniform. If he doesn't have his own vehicle to driver he shoulde get one. I think it's a huge liablilty to the county to have family riding in police vehicles. Just sayin....
willly

West Point, IA

#9 Oct 16, 2011
Hey i agree with you no problems...the sheriff and deputies should be driving their own personal vehicles for personal business..wait....I forgot Neither Johnny or the chief deputy even own a personal vehicle...!!!!! So they are burning 4.00 gas for personal business all the time ...!!!!! We could have a new jail with the extra million a year they have and are wasting on gas and rent and wasted salaries.....wasted....dont forget the current sheriff was always writing bad checks and having his wages garnished as deputy..he cannot manage his own personal budget much less the counties...he never paid taxes and burned his home to escape that bill before running for sheriff they say.....Does he even own any property.hes what 55 years old....is he so dumb he has never bought any property...????Shouldnt you have to own property here to be an official....????
willly B ready for change

West Point, IA

#10 Oct 16, 2011
Yelfair needs a new jail allright...but first we need a new sheriff.....one that can manage a budget and be sensitive to the citizens and property owners of telfair county...I hear he fixed a dui for a young guy from baxley so he would testufy against a telfair kid for a dui....??? Now if that dont beat all...Maybe the sheriff doesnt understand that Teklfair kid and his family pay his salary with property taxes.....???? So we have dumb and dumber as sheriff and assistant sheriff.....??? That isn't right....
not me

United States

#11 Oct 21, 2011
Dodge county has a brand new jail and no money to run it. I think
"Mr.Smith" is thinking that he can supply the man power and Dodge county can supply the building. Sounds to me like a money saver for both counties and a pretty smart idea. Then again what do I know except what the sheriff told me his plans were. I also think that if you are too stupid to spell Telfair that you should not be allowed to live here. Then again,what do I know.Nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes,so if you want change why dont you throw your hat in the ring and run against him. Wouldnt it be great to have your life posted on topix by people that have no idea what they are talking about? I think the man is doin better than the last few that have had the job.Then again, what do I know except that I dont want the job!!!!!!!!!!
thats exactly right

Ocilla, GA

#12 Oct 21, 2011
Thats what happensd when you take a public office....you shoule be ready to explain and be criticized pr praised publicly for all your actions good and bad because they are with public tax dollars....he and you apparently are accountable to every taxpayer and citizen.....he and you should have to own property in a county or city to run for public office....thats what we have now someone that has no regard or cares regarding the taxpayers....if that budget increased double during his tenure...he should be criticized.....and tarred and feathered and run outta town.....back down to towns where half the people are inbreeders "they say"......
preach it brother

Elko, GA

#13 Jan 23, 2012
willly wrote:
Hey i agree with you no problems...the sheriff and deputies should be driving their own personal vehicles for personal business..wait....I forgot Neither Johnny or the chief deputy even own a personal vehicle...!!!!! So they are burning 4.00 gas for personal business all the time ...!!!!! We could have a new jail with the extra million a year they have and are wasting on gas and rent and wasted salaries.....wasted....dont forget the current sheriff was always writing bad checks and having his wages garnished as deputy..he cannot manage his own personal budget much less the counties...he never paid taxes and burned his home to escape that bill before running for sheriff they say.....Does he even own any property.hes what 55 years old....is he so dumb he has never bought any property...????Shouldnt you have to own property here to be an official....????
i agree 100%
Im ready

Miami Beach, FL

#14 Jan 25, 2012
Ro hear the specifics about this bonding business...Tell me about that please anyone who knows anything about it for real.....?????
check it out

Andrews, TX

#15 Jan 26, 2012
I understand the bonding business is in the name of an individual from Toombs county who once was employed by the Telfair County Sheriff's Dept (or rather in his wife's name,to conceal improper ownership). This individual, I was told, alledgedly "got hurt" while in the police academy and got a nice size monetary settlement from the Telfair County's Workmens comp insurance.
While this person( we'll call him Rob)was still employed by the sheriff's dept,The Bail/bonding business was ran by the Sheriff's then son in law. After the son in law divorced and left the sheriff's family, the Sheriff's then Brother in Law was put in charge of day to day operations of the bail/bonding business, after the sheriff's divorce, THE SHERIFF HIMSELF dismissed the ex brother in law from running the business and replaced him with the wife of the Sheriff's Chief Investigator. I was told by someone who had the documents to back it up, that the bail bonding operation took in right at 90,000 dollars cash during it's first 10 months of operation.

It is a violation for a law enforcement officer(including a Sheriff)to be affiliated with a bail/bonding business for obvious reasons.

I have more to share but my lunch break is over.
possum

United States

#16 Jan 26, 2012
please tell more!!!!And if they have proof they need to call the feds!!!!
possum

United States

#17 Jan 30, 2012
Hey Johnny can you say R.I.C.O.
well now

United States

#18 Feb 4, 2012
just WOW
Well its about time

Charlotte, NC

#19 Feb 4, 2012
Tell us the rest of the story......Ive heard about the same thing about this possibly illegal operation....plus they are supposedly setting the peoples bonds so high that many cannor afford to get out of jail in coffee couty...so its causing Telfair county to pay 50.00 per day app. to stay in jail for lengthy periods of time.....is this right ....??? thats the gossip around town...plus reportedly we are paing tens of thousands of dollars a month sometimes 30,000 to 40,000 monthly to coffee county and ocilla and transportation back and forth Why don't we have our own hail...instead of paying out all this money...?????
Well its about time

Charlotte, NC

#20 Feb 4, 2012
If we are paying all these people why are we also paying to have prisoners housed in another county......????
Do the Math

Douglas, GA

#21 Feb 5, 2012
Ok , let me break it down for you....

The Sheriff (Johnny O Smith)is in charge of arresting and housing individuals accused of violating laws. And no Bail/Bonding company can sign bonds EXCEPT the ONE bonding company the Sheriff will give his personal approval to sign bonds.(can you see where this is going?)

The Magistrate (the Sheriff's Sister) is in charge of setting bond amounts for those charged with crimes. The higher SHE sets the bonds, the higher the profit for a the Bail/Bonding company owner(s)(guess who)

The Bail/Bonding owner (Take a wild Guess) charges at least 10% of the bond amount to be paid in cash in exchange for their signing a bond to release someone from jail.
There is only one Bail/Bonding Company approved by our Sheriff to sign bonds in Telfair County. It is unethical, as well as legally improper for a Sheriff to run a Bail/Bonding company in the county he is sworn his oath of office. That includes partnering with others in any effort to conceal ownership.(Just sayin)

More People Jailed EQUALS More Bonds needing to be set by the Magistrate.

More Bonds set, at The Highest dollar amounts possible EQUALS More people calling on the local Bail/Bonding company.

More people paying the required Bail/Bondsman's fee of 10% of the bond in cash up front in order to get their loved ones released for jail EQUALS More PROFITS for the owners of the Bail/Bonding service.
(For an average $25,000 bond You must pay the Bondsman $2500 in cash. 10 Customers per month X $2500 per pop EQUALS $25,000 per month,$25,000 X 12 months EQUALS $300,000.00 per year.) note: This Morning we had 59 people being held in jail.

BUT on the flip side of the equasion, The Telfair County Taxpayer is left to pick up the tab for FEEDING, HOUSING, And Providing ALL MEDICAL and DENTAL Expenses for these individuals in our custody. Documented figures Currently put this expense at between $420,000.00 and $540,000.00 per year, and yes,these documents are from public records.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McRae Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hanah Davis and JJ willams Mon She will hook u up 7
The Faces of Meth (Oct '13) Sun Big John 56
News Woman arrested after fatal shooting of another ... Sun big un 2
who knows the truth on Breyon kincey (Jun '15) Jun 23 Blow Fly 14
Fight Jun 11 matteroffacts 7
text hannah montana (Apr '09) May 30 Jaishaalicea4 455
What? May '16 Mama says 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

McRae Mortgages