Water okay to drink, even if it tastes funny

Feb 28, 2010 Full story: The Rockwall News 18

TV. If you live in Plano, Allen, McKinney, Rockwall, and other cities serviced by the North Texas Municipal Water District, your water may have a funny taste or smell.

Full Story
Wayne Sartor

Dallas, TX

#1 Mar 9, 2010
You would think for what we have to pay for Water
It would smell drinkable and YES you can taste the
difference in our water and other cities water!
sara p

Dallas, TX

#2 Mar 9, 2010
You are right Mr. Sartor. But that does not address the lime buildup in our refrigerator drinking spout, the dishwashers it has ruined and the lime buildup on all faucet spigots in the entire house. Rockwall has really bad water, thank you, Commissioners and Judge!
MAD ABOUT THE WATER

Royse City, TX

#4 Mar 14, 2010
IT'S NOT SAFE TO DRINK,BATH OR COOK WITH. PERIOD.
Wetty

Frisco, TX

#5 Mar 15, 2010
Lets boycot the water until they fix the problem. This isnt Mexico, we should be able to drink the water.
Allen water frustration

Allen, TX

#6 Mar 29, 2010
I don't know what is going on with the water, but it smells like chemicals. I have had chronic skin problems since moving back to my old neighborhood in Allen. Every time I shower, I get very itchy and can't even drink the tap water (not even when filtered with Brita filter). I know they are replacing the water tower nearby, & maybe that has something to do with it. I just feel like our family is bathing, washing clothes/dishes, and cooking with contaminated water. It will be interesting to see if things get better when new water tower is finished. We have Culligan coming out to do a water analysis, & I think it will show alot of impurities/contaminants. We'll post an update after that appt. Anyone else experience this?
Just In Case

Venus, TX

#7 Mar 30, 2010
What do you expect Culligan's to say? They will find something wrong with the water to sell you their water. That's a no brainer.
observer

Rockwall, TX

#8 Mar 30, 2010
The water smells like hard boiled eggs. Gross. We buy so much spring water its pitiful and also buy ice. Just can't stand thinking about drinking sewer water. They even have bottled water down at city hall for the coucilmen to drink. Does that tell you how bad it is????
Allen water frustration

Allen, TX

#9 Mar 30, 2010
Just In Case wrote:
What do you expect Culligan's to say? They will find something wrong with the water to sell you their water. That's a no brainer.
Well, then, any suggestions? I have heard of getting a company like them to do a full analysis, then doing one myself to confirm. Evidently, you can get the water testing kits in the mail that test for all types of contaminant levels. Maybe skip the 1st step of using Culligan? I just thought the more input to consider, the better (of course, not beleiving everything I hear that doesn't make sense).
McKinney Water

Littleton, CO

#10 Mar 31, 2010
I live in McKinney on the west side of Central expressway. I'm pretty certain that our water source is Lake Lavon. The water here is fine except in late summer when the lake has algae blooms due to high water temperatures. That's when it has a skunky smell to it. Right now, the water smells and tastes OK.
Just In Case

Venus, TX

#11 Mar 31, 2010
Allen water frustration wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, then, any suggestions? I have heard of getting a company like them to do a full analysis, then doing one myself to confirm. Evidently, you can get the water testing kits in the mail that test for all types of contaminant levels. Maybe skip the 1st step of using Culligan? I just thought the more input to consider, the better (of course, not believing everything I hear that doesn't make sense).
Like everyone else, we have to just stick with the water until it clears. Yes, it smells funky, tastes funky and only God knows what is in the water, but we have no choice. We have to have water to exist. Worry more about a terrorist organization getting into the water and contaminating the drinking water everywhere in the US.
Water

Dallas, TX

#12 Apr 3, 2010
Yea mine has a bad taste as well. What is the deal??
Allen water frustration

Allen, TX

#13 Apr 4, 2010
@Just In Case-I understand your cynicism, but there's no need to insult people on this forum. Telling them what they are doing is a "no brainer" is rude, and not the purpose of these forums. Also, in your second post, you mentioned that my concerns over the water are trite in comparison to terrorism. I agree with that. However, in comparison to terrorism, many things are less important. But, when someone posts about a legitimate HEALTH problem that has made significant changes in their families' lives, that post deserves to have helpful responses. We DO have a choice. This is AMERICA, land of opportunity and choices. I, like many other people, like to know all my options and choices, so I can better care for my family. I'm sorry if you feel you have to "stick with the water", but I choose to make things better when they're causing a problem in my life. And yes, I agree, we do need water to exist, so wouldn't you like to know that you're drinking, cooking, washing clothes/dishes, and bathing with the best you can get?
Allen water frustration

Allen, TX

#14 Apr 4, 2010
Also, wanted to give an update to anyone interested. We got our water tested, and the results were: PH level was ok, chlorine level wasn't too bad (but gets worse in heat of summer), but the water was very "hard" and the total dissolved solids were high. The thing I like about the test that made it more beleivable was that they tested our bottled spring water (great), our Brita filtered tap water (almost as bad as tap), and our tap water (bad). They tested a bottle of Culligan filtered water, which was a little bit better than the spring water. So, why not just keep buying tons of bottled spring water? Because all the plastic is bad for the environment, plus the Culligan system will filter water for the WHOLE house, plus extra filters & RO system (under sink) will clean drinking water even more. Plus, now with softer water, we'll use much less soap to get the job done and won't have intense skin rashes from soap that doesn't come off in the shower or after laundering. Definitely worth it to our family.
Local

Aubrey, TX

#15 Apr 10, 2010
?
berkey lover

United States

#16 Apr 13, 2010
We're east of McKinney and the water had always been horrible. We bought a British Berkfeld water filter (Berkey) years ago and only drink the water after it's been put thru the filter. Brita filters and others similar don't remove much of anything from the water. We've been using the same filters for 6 years now and they are still going strong, just scrub them off and keep using. You don't have to lug home plastic water bottles either.
david lee roth

Rowlett, TX

#17 May 9, 2010
Taste test it on a midget, they will drink anything
Help find our dog

Frisco, TX

#18 May 9, 2010
Please help us we have lost our english sheepdog. Gray and white, answeres to HARVEY.
Biff short legs

Plano, TX

#19 May 10, 2010
DOES HE LIKE MIDGETS

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKinney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Select Baseball Tryouts | McKinney, TX Tue TX Baseball 1
Chigger Fest for 2014 Oct 18 grand station 1
no town is perfect, nor are the people Oct 17 grand station 1
New to Pecan Gap (Dec '12) Oct 17 grand station 8
whats with the junk yard n Pecan Gap central? (Jun '12) Oct 17 grand station 2
Collin County Election- Anyone but Judge Sandoval (Jan '08) Oct 17 khaledelgamal 800
Review: Car Smart Auto Parts (Sep '12) Oct 17 Republican forever 5

McKinney News Video

McKinney Dating
Find my Match

McKinney Jobs

McKinney People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

McKinney News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in McKinney

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]