Considering a Move to Allen..Thoughts are appreciated

Posted in the McKinney Forum

NewInTown

Wilmington, NC

#1 Jan 29, 2013
Hello everyone!

First of all let me state that I have done some research on Allen PD, and it seems that a lot of residents in this city like to gripe about over enforcement of traffic laws/profiling against young men/etc. I do not want to hear about that. Thank you. I work at a police department right now and I am very familiar with all of those issues, etc etc.

I basically just want to know more about the area. I have never been to Texas in my life. I currently live in a coastal city in North Carolina and was raised in a typical small southern town in western NC. When I google Allen, TX, most of the results that come up are about some giant high school football stadium. That's great and all, but I would like to know more.

I am a 22 year old white female with two Bachelor's degrees. I would be living alone. What is the cost of living like in Allen? Rent where I live is pretty cheap (3 bedroom nice houses typically run around $1000). What is the traffic like outside of the major highways? Are people really bad drivers like they are where I live?

Are people generally friendly? What are the main crime issues? From what I have read it seems as though there isn't too much of a drug or gang problem, just traffic issues. Is that true? I also read that Allen was one of the safest places to live, which I LOVE.

My main goal is to live somewhere "warm but not racist." I despise the cold! But not as much as I despise racism and antiquated attitudes about anything "different." What are the general attitudes about life like in Allen?

Are there fun things to do for a 22 year old single gal?

Any insight would be wonderful. Thanks!!
Allen

Allen, TX

#2 Feb 4, 2013
I would advise posting this to the forums on allenonline.com if you want some insight into Allen. Very different place from McKinney.
MintJulep

Allen, TX

#3 Feb 7, 2013
I've lived in Allen since 1988 and have seen alot of changes and growth. I am very plesed living here. I have no children but I like the fact Allen has only one high school. Yes it is large but it tends to keep the town together more than say Plano with the town divided by which high school kids go to. It is very safe and more family oriented than geared to singles but that is true of all of Collin County. I think you will find it warm and inviting.
Robyn Noby

Dallas, TX

#4 Feb 10, 2013
I happen to work at the Hospital in Allen, I also love the shopping and activities they offer. I have no problems with any police officers, I don't know what they are talking about. I guess I am just a law obiding girl. LOL. Allen is a wonderful town, plenty of things to do and places to hang out. The Hocky games rock and the food is wonderful. I am a country girl and have 3 horses, if I were a city girl, I would live here in Allen.

Hope this helps.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKinney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Select Baseball Tryouts | McKinney, TX 3 hr TX Baseball 1
Chigger Fest for 2014 Sat grand station 1
no town is perfect, nor are the people Oct 17 grand station 1
New to Pecan Gap (Dec '12) Oct 17 grand station 8
whats with the junk yard n Pecan Gap central? (Jun '12) Oct 17 grand station 2
Collin County Election- Anyone but Judge Sandoval (Jan '08) Oct 17 khaledelgamal 800
Review: Car Smart Auto Parts (Sep '12) Oct 17 Republican forever 5

McKinney News Video

McKinney Dating
Find my Match

McKinney Jobs

McKinney People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

McKinney News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in McKinney

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]