McKinney ISD Middle Schools

Posted in the McKinney Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Concerned Parent

Mckinney, TX

#1 Mar 12, 2008
Is anyone having issues with MISD middle schools? I believe that we need to rally in numbers to ensure that positive changes are made in our middle schools, for all students of MISD.
We have numerous concerns, with bullying, violence and lack of fairness being amongest the top of the list.
I am interested to see if other parents are experiencing the same concerns or if it is the lack of leadership in our middle school.
Another Concerned Parent

Grand Prairie, TX

#2 Mar 12, 2008
Yes, I'm very concerned. My child was always at the top of his game. He's usually a very positive, happy kid. He has gone through so many issues with bulling, being attacked. He was even threatened with a knife in the class room.Unfortunately I was told it wasn't big enough to warrant the proper punishment. We notice negativity about things that were never there before as well as his grades dropping drastically.
We're talking & not being heard. This isn't fair that our kids have to go to school everyday with their guards up wondering what's going to happen. We're ready to make a change!
Concerned Parent

Mckinney, TX

#3 Mar 12, 2008
We too have talked but are not being heard(listened to). What is our next step? When you have been to the top and they patronize you rather than address the issues at hand, where else can we go?
Middle School MOM

Dallas, TX

#4 Mar 12, 2008
WHAT!!!
How can a student have a knife at school and that not be a violation of the Code of Conduct. The district policy bans knives including pocket knives.
Every problem I approach the school about, the response I have gotten is the problem isn't severe enough to warrant action. This is from academis struggles to problems with bullies.
Just today at lunch, I was knocked into by students running to lunch and I'm a parent! There were at least 30 kids running and pushing kids in the hall, and no teachers or principals in sight.
Parent at Dowell

United States

#5 Mar 14, 2008
Please go onto Dowell Middle School website and take the Parent Survey. They are not communicating this with parents, so very few even know that it is taking place. Deadline is March 31. I urge you to please let your voice be heard and tell everyone Dowell MS parent that you know!

Since: Jan 08

kennewick wa.

#6 Mar 15, 2008
have you tried joining the PTA or do they still have that i haven't had a child in school in a very long time but when my kids were in school i joined the PTA and went to the superintendent and when that didn't work went to the school board meetings and put them on notice if something wasn't done the next step would be the TX school board i got my problems solved finally but took awhile i ended up getting the teacher that was the problem fired for misconduct you can make a change you just have to go thru the proper channels and by the time you get someone to listen your child may not be in middle school anymore.
Concerned Parent wrote:
We too have talked but are not being heard(listened to). What is our next step? When you have been to the top and they patronize you rather than address the issues at hand, where else can we go?
Concerned Parent

United States

#7 Mar 15, 2008
We are a member of PTA, as a matter of fact, we are very active. We have spoken to administration, director of secondary education and a few school board members. I don't have a lot of faith in our Superintendent. I can't say why, you will just have to trust me that I have valid reasons. The District is showing some signs of listening, however, the bullying at our middle school is horrific (as I am sure it is at most middle schools). I would like to see MISD have an official anti-bullying program and policy.(Such as Jodee Blanco's, Stop Laughing at Us....) Our child is bullied daily. I have brought it to administrations attention and to their credit they talked to the bully. However, no punishment is ever received so therefore, each time I bring it to their attention it places another target on my child's back. I have spoken to the parents, nothing happens there either. Probably will not be at MISD next year due to the fact that they will not address issues at hand, but rather sweep them under the rug. We actually had our 8th grade principal to tell another parent that "We have no bullying or problems at our school", what a joke. I have also been told that it is a joke to teach there. Academics are not a priority, teachers are giving up and/or getting out.
UR not alone

Arlington, TX

#8 Mar 15, 2008
We lost faith in the MISD school system when our daughter brought home a text which contained an entire chapter essentially on "The Evil's of Wealth". Basically a chapter which states that it is unfair to succeed and achieve because others might not and it would not be right for the achiever to have more than what I'll call the lazy or less bright person.

The anti-drug program actually TAUGHT our children about drugs and made them interested in something they were not before.

We found Valley Creek elementary to be wonderful, everything after that was sub-par.Passing tests were a priority, acedemics certainly were and are not.
Another Dowell Parent

Cedar Hill, TX

#9 Mar 30, 2008
Please do not forget to participate in the parent survey on Dowell's website, deadline is tomorrow, March 31.

Let your voice be heard, not 100% sure it will do any good, but there is always hope.

Thanks!
Parent at MNHS

Desoto, TX

#10 May 7, 2008
I am parent of 3 students at McKinney North High School and unfortunately the violence and the lack of responce by administration is many times worse at the high school level. Myself and 3 other witnesses recently reported seeing a special needs student assaulted right before the school was let out. He was going to get on the bus and the student and his aide came out of the school early. This aide twisted the boys arm back to the point where he was yelling ouch and then he kneed him in the groin extremely hard 3 times before putting him on the bus. This boy was not fighting back and was totally compliant. I called the school office 3 times and requested the police. 20 minutes later a Vice Principal comes out (without pen a paper) to hear what happened. They never took us seriously. The class teacher of this student came out as well and told us we did not know what we were talking about. I have gone all the was to Dr. Davis (head of human resourses)and the school board, who ultimately made the decision to keep this aide working with the student. I have requested to conference with this student's parents, but the school hides behind "privacy laws."

Aside of this incident, my kids report drug dealing in the bathrooms and most weeks there are fights where kids are hauled away by the police. Oh, but if you call the school to see what happened, you're told they cannot tell you due to privacy laws.

What the deck is going on at MISD??? I definately do not feel my children are in a safe environment. In fact I would call if hostile. And can someone tell me why the dress code cannot be enforced??? How in the world can a student leave school with his pants down to his waist and not have been caught by 7 teachers??? In my opinion, they do not care!
OHagan 200

Houston, TX

#11 May 8, 2008
UR not alone wrote:
...our daughter brought home a text which contained an entire chapter essentially on "The Evil's of Wealth". Basically a chapter which states that it is unfair to succeed and achieve because others might not and it would not be right for the achiever to have more than what I'll call the lazy or less bright person...
That's just... wow...

you don't happen to remember the name of that book, do you? I'd like to get my hands on it.
Dick Stevens

United States

#12 May 9, 2008
This has been one of my campaign issues from Day One since I announced my candidacy for MISD, Place 4, Board of Trustees. Neither one of my opponents have said squat about this problem.

Dick Stevens
MISD insider

Desoto, TX

#13 May 28, 2008
I work for MISD and I feel your pain. My children are in the district and I fear for their safety and education.
I would like to say that many of us do care, however when I bring up the situations that I see such as bullying, parents being lied to, special needs students either receiving a horrible education, or not being served at all...I get reprimanded by my principal and central office. You are quickly "phased out" in MISD if you fight for children. So many employees learn quickly to be quiet or loose your job. MISD's unwritten philosophy is tell everyone that we are the greatest, and that we have the best TAKS scores. Eventually the parents will believe it, and any of you that don't will just be painted as trouble makers, or you will be told that your child needs to try harder. Your best bet is to move your children. As an employee of the district, I can't even protect my children or ensure that they are getting a top notch education.

Since: May 08

Fort Worth, TX

#14 Jun 8, 2008
MISD insider wrote:
I work for MISD and I feel your pain. My children are in the district and I fear for their safety and education.
I would like to say that many of us do care, however when I bring up the situations that I see such as bullying, parents being lied to, special needs students either receiving a horrible education, or not being served at all...I get reprimanded by my principal and central office. You are quickly "phased out" in MISD if you fight for children. So many employees learn quickly to be quiet or loose your job. MISD's unwritten philosophy is tell everyone that we are the greatest, and that we have the best TAKS scores. Eventually the parents will believe it, and any of you that don't will just be painted as trouble makers, or you will be told that your child needs to try harder. Your best bet is to move your children. As an employee of the district, I can't even protect my children or ensure that they are getting a top notch education.
Is this a problem across several middle schools or are the problems isolated to a particular school? I personally do not have any children in middle school, but plan to in the next couple of years.

Also, do you have any information regarding the results of the poll?

Finally, what is the plan or course of action that is being taken to resolve these issues? I had heard that a lot of the teachers at Dowell got fed up with the lack of leadership and support and quit their jobs. This clearly is a needs to be
addressed at the highest levels.

Fort Worth, TX

#15 Jun 15, 2008
bump
Concerned Parent

Mckinney, TX

#16 Jun 23, 2008
Chalk4 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this a problem across several middle schools or are the problems isolated to a particular school? I personally do not have any children in middle school, but plan to in the next couple of years.
Also, do you have any information regarding the results of the poll?
Finally, what is the plan or course of action that is being taken to resolve these issues? I had heard that a lot of the teachers at Dowell got fed up with the lack of leadership and support and quit their jobs. This clearly is a needs to be
addressed at the highest levels.
We sold our home and moved as result, before the school year was over.

Fort Worth, TX

#17 Jun 23, 2008
Iím really sorry to hear that; was your child attending Dowell or is this a problem throughout the school district?

It sounds like you must have experienced some serious issues since you felt the need to pick up and move. Could you elaborate?

Since: Jun 08

McKinney

#18 Jun 26, 2008
I am hopeful that the new administration staff at Dowell will turn this school around once again, as Danny Bryan did in past years.

Dr. Faris is apparently well respected and liked at Boyd High School.
annon

Dallas, TX

#19 Feb 1, 2009
Dr. Faris is amazing. The problem with MISD begins with central office. All schools are effected. You are safer in elementary, because the teachers still fight for the children. As they get older, the teachers get this idea that they "should not be babied" and are left to fend for themselves. Parents can try to bring these issues to admin, but you are right...We will just patronize you and call you a crazy parent when you leave. I still work for the district, but my children will be attending another school district. We value education and do not want to take the chance of having an illiterate senior who can not get into college. Go do some research...Look at the drop out rate. Children who begin in McKinney in elementary, many times end up dropping out or moving.
karit

Mckinney, TX

#20 Apr 15, 2009
Since we moved to McKinney, my middle school and high school sons have quickly gone down hill. My older son was even supposed to be receiving special education modifications but what they were supposed to be doing and what they actually did (didn't do) were miles apart. I've tried to reach out to people at both schools when I noticed problems with my boys but I never got any positive response or at least, they never did anything. I've since removed my oldest and am now enrolling him in an online program. I'm about to pull my middle school child out as well. Both boys have gotten into drugs at the school and have told me that it's so available that it's ridiculous. No one monitors these kids at all....at any time....for any reason. If they get into trouble, I'm never notified and when I call to ask, I simply don't get a response back. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS SCHOOL DISTRICT?? It is the saddest excuse for an educational system I've ever encountered. I have a young one in an elementary school here and we will save up money to be able to afford a private school (really difficult) or we will move!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKinney Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unfinished Home on N. Custer Road between ManeG... (Jun '14) May 20 Cher Hukill 14
Suggestions for Hairdresser May 20 I love Cardinals 1
News Pentagon Official Backs Push to Hire Veterans i... May 20 Big Duke 6 1
News Allen Teen Survives Motorcycle Accident, Defies... May 19 Frank Savage 2
Tim Carroll & Carroll Custom Cadillac, Reviews? (Oct '15) May 13 VTC_CCC 12
News Continue reading Developer Hines plans mixed-us... May 10 Buck turgidson 1
Craig Ranch HOA (Aug '13) May 9 Pam 20

McKinney Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

McKinney Mortgages