City girl goes country

When 14-year-old Jessica Oliver's living situation changed this past winter, she left the big city of Los Angeles and came to live with her aunt and uncle, Michael and Marna Powell, in the tiny town of Orick. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Stumpy

Petaluma, CA

#23 Jan 29, 2009
uhh wrote:
How is this news? Who calls up the paper and tells them they took in their niece? Bizarre.
We called them and told them about our
crazy aunt locked in the basement and
they didn't seem interested...I guess
because everybody already knows that ...
Richard Mullen

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#24 Jan 29, 2009
Mike and Marna Powell are what many could call the salt of the earth. I am really proud of my cousin Mike. Marna is a sweetheart and really great at teaching because I was able to kayak within 10 minutes of her teaching me. I never did this before and in no time I was paddling in Big Lagoon, taking in the sights. It was amazing. These are the kind of people you need to meet in person.

Richard Mullen
Maryland
Richard Mullen

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#25 Jan 29, 2009
Oopsy Dazey wrote:
It's really an advertisement for Kayak Zak's
masquerading as a warm, fuzzy, feel-good
public interest story...cheaper than paying
for an ad...business owners take note...
No its not an ad for their business Kayak Zak's because it was never mentioned in the article. I am not pushing their business either because if anyone ever meets them they know from the start they are good people. No agendas or B.S. Something really refreshing in this jaded crybaby world.
Richard Mullen

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#26 Jan 29, 2009
Whoops, they did mention the business but the emphasis was so light I didnít notice. My bad but still the focus was not on some publicity stunt to push it.

Most folks like to hear of the rare story that warms their heart and possibly inspires them. Most teens are so consumed with having a cell in one ear and an XBOX controller in their hand complaining about life. Itís sickening and to read about some kid breaking the mold and doing something decent is cool.
Jessica Oliver

Fortuna, CA

#27 Jan 5, 2011
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know, you DO have a point there..........
Hey you're name is Jimbo! You know that goat in the picture I am feeding? That's his name too.
Shelby

Fortuna, CA

#28 Jan 5, 2011
Well i personally love this story, i love marna, michael, and jessica, and i love that they brought some sunshine to the paper(: they are very lovely people, and yes they have a business but almost all of the ads and articles in the paper mention some type of business. no advertisement, just a very heartwarming story (:
Jessica Oliver

Fortuna, CA

#29 Jan 10, 2011
Thank you Darling!
Shelby wrote:
Well i personally love this story, i love marna, michael, and jessica, and i love that they brought some sunshine to the paper(: they are very lovely people, and yes they have a business but almost all of the ads and articles in the paper mention some type of business. no advertisement, just a very heartwarming story (:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKinleyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who is the biggest gang in riverside? (Jan '12) 14 hr Riskie westside R... 30
News TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) 23 hr Christine Overton 320
To The Tenants of Glendale Wed ontheupandup 5
need help getting back home Mar 21 jennifer 1
(Armenian) Man arrested for allegedly raping un... (Aug '11) Mar 21 Former Armo 8
News Squires maintaining affordability (Nov '10) Mar 20 Anonymous 31
News Investigation into Monday night chase and shoot... (May '09) Mar 17 shirley stephens 141
McKinleyville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

McKinleyville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]