City girl goes country

When 14-year-old Jessica Oliver's living situation changed this past winter, she left the big city of Los Angeles and came to live with her aunt and uncle, Michael and Marna Powell, in the tiny town of Orick. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anonymous

Eureka, CA

#1 Jan 28, 2009
Random...
reader

Arcata, CA

#3 Jan 28, 2009
Way to go Aunt and Uncle. It seems the adjustment has been the best for your neice. I wish all three of you much happiness! This Is the meanning of family.
uhh

Portland, OR

#4 Jan 28, 2009
How is this news? Who calls up the paper and tells them they took in their niece? Bizarre.
Oopsy Dazey

Petaluma, CA

#5 Jan 28, 2009
It's really an advertisement for Kayak Zak's
masquerading as a warm, fuzzy, feel-good
public interest story...cheaper than paying
for an ad...business owners take note...
Humbeau

Arcata, CA

#7 Jan 28, 2009
Great story.
Bev

United States

#8 Jan 28, 2009
Very inspiring story. They sound like a really nice family.
Kerry

Eureka, CA

#9 Jan 28, 2009
Not to knock the family because they do sound like nice people and all, but who the hell decides that this is a newspaper worthy story? Is there really that little going on tha the Times Standard has to print stories like this one? There are other family feel-good stories out there. Ones with kids that have overcome illnesses or managed to work to support their sick parent. Kids that have become heroes or soemthing, but a story about a girl moving to the podunk little town of Orick is just ridilculous. I am also from Los Angeles and it was a culture shock moving to this area. Maybe its my jaded view of the welfare ridden community up here. Maybe its the huge chip on my shoulder speaking as I have had nothing but harsh treatment and no handouts despite the fact that my husband and I work our butts off and people like my neighbors sit back and collect every type of aid possible without working or ever planning to work. This is the Humboldt County I see. I wish I weren't so jaded, but despite my issues with the system in this county, I still dont believe this article is newsworthy. Good luck to that little girl and may she never be as jaded as I.
Local

Eureka, CA

#10 Jan 28, 2009
Well--the way I see it---It was a positive story (which these dayz seem few and far between)---about someone who lives in OUR community---as well as a shout out for their business---I for one enjoyed reading about it---it gives one encouragement that their are still people doing good in these rough times---not ALL is bad---thank you TS for your "random" story---I would like to here more "random" stories about "random" people in our community---

“i like shiny things”

Since: Dec 07

arcata

#11 Jan 29, 2009
Kerry wrote:
Not to knock the family because they do sound like nice people and all, but who the hell decides that this is a newspaper worthy story? Is there really that little going on tha the Times Standard has to print stories like this one? There are other family feel-good stories out there. Ones with kids that have overcome illnesses or managed to work to support their sick parent. Kids that have become heroes or soemthing, but a story about a girl moving to the podunk little town of Orick is just ridilculous. I am also from Los Angeles and it was a culture shock moving to this area. Maybe its my jaded view of the welfare ridden community up here. Maybe its the huge chip on my shoulder speaking as I have had nothing but harsh treatment and no handouts despite the fact that my husband and I work our butts off and people like my neighbors sit back and collect every type of aid possible without working or ever planning to work. This is the Humboldt County I see. I wish I weren't so jaded, but despite my issues with the system in this county, I still dont believe this article is newsworthy. Good luck to that little girl and may she never be as jaded as I.
OH i am so sorry that death drugs and rape are what you want to read about all the time. what a great story to read first thing in the morning!!!
Coon Slapper

United States

#12 Jan 29, 2009
It's better than reading all the depressing crime stories, which is all some people will read. Thanks for the story.
reader

Arcata, CA

#13 Jan 29, 2009
Obviously it's who you know, and someone who knew this familys situation thought it was special and that WE the readers DO NEED some happy stories once in a while. No the situation that led this little girl to our area was not disclosed so one may assume the worst. Now we hear of the country life in Orick, what a happy child she probably is. Our area is rich in so many ways, and is a great place for children to be raised in. And the aunt and uncle have"time" for her, and THAT IS IMPORTANT!
Kerry

Eureka, CA

#14 Jan 29, 2009
Evolve Dammit wrote:
<quoted text>
OH i am so sorry that death drugs and rape are what you want to read about all the time. what a great story to read first thing in the morning!!!
First off, maybe you should fully read someone's comment before passing judgement on what they wrote. I stated in my comment that I wanted to hear other feel good articles, not ones about some kid moving to a new town. I also stated that there ARE many out there. Seriously, read my comment again. I DO NOT want to hear about rape and murder. I have had too many tragedies in my own life to WANT to hear about more of it. Secondly, you need to wake up and realize that this is the REAL WORLD. People DO get raped, people DO get murdered. Maybe if you could peek outside of your BUBBLE, you would realize that you cannot shelter yourself from these horrible things, because they dont just happen in other countries or on the news where you can flip the channel and watch teletubbies. These things can happen in your little world. They have happened to me and I dont ignore it when they happen to others by flipping the channel (as you probably do in your bubble). BUT I do like hearing nice stories too, just not one about some kid moving to a new town to tend to goats.
Eel Valley Resident

Eureka, CA

#15 Jan 29, 2009
"Newsworthy" stories are subjective. People like variety and what may be an entertaining read to one person may be of no value to another. We need the variety, good and bad. To say they shouldn't publish it - just because you don't like it - doesn't seem entirely fair.
Suz

Windsor, CA

#16 Jan 29, 2009
this is a awesome story. I have just taken guardianship of my two grandaughters and this story is so encouraging to me...Wow!!! love it God bless you all :)
Oopsy Dazey

Petaluma, CA

#17 Jan 29, 2009
uhh wrote:
How is this news? Who calls up the paper and tells them they took in their niece? Bizarre.
Hey, it's big news. They send out Jimmy Olson
and he says stuff like "Gosh and Golly"...
maria

Palo Cedro, CA

#18 Jan 29, 2009
I love this story. Funny how people complain about all the bad news in the media, yet when something wonderful comes up, they complain too! Kudos to the Aunt and Uncle for taking in their neice and kudos to her too, for adapting and welcoming a big change in her life ( hard for most teenagers!!)
This is a lovely story, and welcome to the neighborhood Jessica!!
Jimbo

Oakland, CA

#19 Jan 29, 2009
uhh wrote:
Ya know, you DO have a point there..........
maria

Palo Cedro, CA

#20 Jan 29, 2009
Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know, you DO have a point there..........
Welcome to small town news. We care about our neighbors. Not bizarre at all.
Don

United States

#21 Jan 29, 2009
After reading these comments I had to read the story and...... it really wasn't that newsworthy or at least it was poorly done. It could have had a nice angle. (should haveleft out the fork analogy.)
ditch the fork

San Jose, CA

#22 Jan 29, 2009
"Should have left out the fork analogy."
Agreed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKinleyville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TAP helps people get back home; bus tickets, ga... (Nov '11) Mar 2 Bryant king 305
Review: Flowerloft International Mar 2 flowerloft1976 1
Me and my 6 yr old need to get to Oklahoma city... Mar 1 Curlys415 1
How to File A Complaint About DIRECTV (Jul '08) Feb 28 aline 229
The Samoan Tatau tattoo Feb 28 Shaun 1
Mucus is good for you (Oct '08) Feb 26 SWEGKING 13
Glen Hays Feb 9 Tired of him flir... 1
McKinleyville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

McKinleyville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance