Is Bethel University Really Broke
what is next

United States

#159 Feb 27, 2013
So It Is What It Is wrote:
<quoted text>
It's understandable to be optimistic, I am too about Bethel, but I'm also not naive. It isn't rumor about Bethel's precarious financial state, and it isn't as 'stable' as you make it sound.
From very reliable sources that I have, Bethel University owes nearly $10 million dollars to Venture Construction for the building of the Vera Low and Gym and also Paris facility. On top of that, Bethel likely owes an additional million or so on the Wildcat football stadium -- debts that are eating up huge portions of their budget, not to mention the added costs of paying for the utilities which I fear they may not have factored into their long term budget outlook.
To give you an idea of how tight things are there:
- They've laid off over a dozen staff members so far, maybe more, and likely more to come.
- They've cut out all retirement contributions to staff and faculty members.
- They've cut all complimentary staff meals.
- Employees no longer have free access to the fitness center -- they too must now have a paying membership there for every family member that goes and get a background check from what I was told (which they must pay for out of pocket, too).
- They've consolidated majority of their rental storage facilities in order to save a couple thousand dollars a month.
- They've got several rental trailers on campus that I hear they're looking to offload to save more money.
- They also closed the fitness center in town. By closing it down, they have one less building to rent and utilities to pay for.
- I also was told that they cannot continue to pay for the brand new weight equipment they bought for the on-campus fitness center, so they're bringing all the equipment from the one in town to the new one.
- Rumor has it that they're fixing to sell that big two-story house they have by the Middle School, I think it's the old Success office.
Now these are just a few things to mention. Obviously, I can understand a little belt tightening to cut out wasteful spending, which they have been doing for many years, but with the amounts of cuts they're making and the number of payments they're offloading, they cannot possibly be considered 'financially stable'.
HOWEVER, Bethel hasn't gotten itself in deep enough that they can't dig out. They're very much on the way to getting things squared away...however, they've got to get past one major hurdle this week. Their financial aid program and some other things are being audited this week if I recall correctly by the federal government. If they can get by that unscathed, then I think Bethel with be OK in the long run.
Bethel is having an open house for their new Paris campus on March 5 from 11 am until 2 pm.

Seen ad's in the Paris paper for new employees at that campus, so guess they are doing okay.

Personally I believe they (Bethel) has bigger plans for the Paris campus than just this one 3-story building.

Anyone heard their plans (next 5 years) for the Paris campus?

Maryville, TN

#160 Feb 27, 2013
what kind of employees are loking for ? yeah...they may have scraped but they will bounce back. people need to stop taking them throw the gutter...they are good people tha really care about people
AlumParent

Brentwood, TN

#161 Feb 28, 2013
So It Is What It Is wrote:
<quoted text>
It's understandable to be optimistic, I am too about Bethel, but I'm also not naive. It isn't rumor about Bethel's precarious financial state, and it isn't as 'stable' as you make it sound.
Rumor has it that they're fixing to sell that big two-story house they have by the Middle School, I think it's the old Success office.
Please understand, I am not na´ve about any of this. As I said, there have been mistakes made (and I believe very costly ones). And some of the steps you listed may very well have happened. I don't doubt your sources. I would question, as someone else already has, if some of these didn't need to happen anyway. I think the appropriate steps are being taken to "level the ship" that so many seem to think is "sinking."
As for the house, I think I heard it was being remodeled and someone was moving into it. That's just what I was told. Maybe that changed.
Bethel has grown so fast and in some really good ways. I can't say I like everything they have done, but I love my alma mater and want it to succeed. I don't have to agree with everything to appreciate it and pray for its continued success. So I lift up in prayer those who are making some very tough decisions and those who have been let go from their jobs. I pray for the students and the hard-working faculty who are giving their time and lives to Bethel.

Jackson, TN

#162 Feb 28, 2013
AlumParent wrote:
<quoted text>
Please understand, I am not na´ve about any of this. As I said, there have been mistakes made (and I believe very costly ones). And some of the steps you listed may very well have happened. I don't doubt your sources. I would question, as someone else already has, if some of these didn't need to happen anyway. I think the appropriate steps are being taken to "level the ship" that so many seem to think is "sinking."
As for the house, I think I heard it was being remodeled and someone was moving into it. That's just what I was told. Maybe that changed.
Bethel has grown so fast and in some really good ways. I can't say I like everything they have done, but I love my alma mater and want it to succeed. I don't have to agree with everything to appreciate it and pray for its continued success. So I lift up in prayer those who are making some very tough decisions and those who have been let go from their jobs. I pray for the students and the hard-working faculty who are giving their time and lives to Bethel.
You sound like a very nice person. Too bad that the people that are being allowed to run and represent Bethel are nothing like you. And it is sad that it hurts the people who do work there and really do care. Until the board lets go of the "click", nothing will change. And the click starts with the head honcho.
Guest Alum

Jackson, TN

#163 Feb 28, 2013
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like a very nice person. Too bad that the people that are being allowed to run and represent Bethel are nothing like you. And it is sad that it hurts the people who do work there and really do care. Until the board lets go of the "click", nothing will change. And the click starts with the head honcho.
I respectfully disagree with your statement. There have been so many changes in the last months that have been done to put Bethel on solid footing. It has not been fun and at times it has been painful but the leadership that is in place now has the best interest of the students, faculty and staff at heart. They have worked tirelessly on behalf of our alma mater. As alumni and members of the community, we need to encourage and support instead of bashing and tearing down.
chris jericho

Houston, TX

#164 Mar 10, 2013
Bethel University is in a horrible financial shape due to the embezzelment ,declining enrollment and lack of donors. They still have many of the administrators and employees who got them in the mess and the have layed off some of the more competent employees and kept some of the worst..no rhyme or reason except the un-christian ambitions of some administrators there.

It also is a disgrace...as it pretends to be a Christian University...but their treatment of employees, students current and former has always been based on abuse, lies, itimidation and harassment.
Reply toChris Jericho

Johnson City, TN

#165 Mar 10, 2013
If you are actually in Houston then how do do you know all of this? perhaps your are omniscient and omnipresent. However, there is only one being that has these attributes. I suspect you are not that being--God
Wondering

Waynesboro, TN

#166 Mar 10, 2013
chris jericho wrote:
Bethel University is in a horrible financial shape due to the embezzelment ,declining enrollment and lack of donors. They still have many of the administrators and employees who got them in the mess and the have layed off some of the more competent employees and kept some of the worst..no rhyme or reason except the un-christian ambitions of some administrators there.
It also is a disgrace...as it pretends to be a Christian University...but their treatment of employees, students current and former has always been based on abuse, lies, itimidation and harassment.
Declining enrollment? Where'd you get that at? They have tripled in enrollment over the past 5 years. Hence, the students can't find parking spaces and are parking in the roadway in the parking lots now.
bitemybuttjones

Johnson City, TN

#167 Mar 11, 2013
chris jericho wrote:
you sound like one of the jackasses they fired..good riddance
Leroy Branch

Milan, TN

#168 Mar 12, 2013
Bethel is about nepotism, chronyism, inequality, bias, and when the folks donating the money get around to seeing this things will change.....maybe.
Chris Jericho

Houston, TX

#169 Mar 12, 2013
bitemybuttjones wrote:
<quoted text> you sound like one of the jackasses they fired..good riddance
Since, your IP is from Bethel University. I think that says enough and you have proven my point. Bethel uses slander and induendo against those who advocate for the community. You don't know me, but I must be a" disgruntled employee" ..slander...dishonesty

Bethel has been betrayed by bitter and phoney Christians like yourself who are full of anger and hate. The employees fired were the hardest working such as groundsman, janitors and clerks....yet, you mock them? Perhaps, you should go back to work instead of prowling onlline from work....

The problem stems from aspiritual bankruptcy.
Chris Jericho

Houston, TX

#170 Mar 12, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Declining enrollment? Where'd you get that at? They have tripled in enrollment over the past 5 years. Hence, the students can't find parking spaces and are parking in the roadway in the parking lots now.
Bethel did have rising enrollment...but recently it has declined, sthe school will also need to lay off anoth 50 people in June or July. The problem has to do with people who took and took from Bethel but never gave back. People who from the inside of Bethel hurt Bethel's reputation by leaking stories out about others so they could gain advantage for their own career goals.

Parker who is chief of operations is a good guy, but, he is beign undermined from within.

Maryville, TN

#171 Mar 12, 2013
Chris Jericho I have to say you have hit the nail on the head...the people being fired are housekeeping...grounds...clerk s onces that actually work...a good number of them were wrongly fired...meaning they did not do what was said ..but was decied they need to go..I think the count is up to 8 now...oh and your are right there are people there that will leak stuff out true or not to get their way because they know nobody will go against them....
Reply toChris Jericho

Johnson City, TN

#172 Mar 12, 2013
How about some specifics? Name names. Describe instances and incidents.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#173 Mar 12, 2013
Well I know of a couple of housekeepers.

I'm not naming any names for their privacy, but one was fired after being reported by a student housekeeper for supposedly stealing something out of a dorm room, even though the student who lived in the room said nothing was missing and cameras didn't have any thing conclusive.

Another housekeeper was fired after speaking her mind to a co-worker, in a private conversation, about how she was being treated by her supervisor and another one overheard the conversation, a student housekeeper, and reported her and so she was let go.

A third housekeeper was fired for leaving the campus, I'm not sure what for, but the supervisor had been after her for quite some time, nick picking every thing she did, and finally got just enough to get her terminated.

Three or four full time groundskeepers were simply laid off.

A maintenance worker was just up and fired, not exactly sure why, but I think it had to do with an incident that occurred 2-3 years prior.

The housekeeper who got fired for speaking her mind, well, the vice president who fired her got fired himself like two weeks later, ironically it was about the time she was preparing to file a lawsuit against Bethel.

And several other assistants that worked up in Campbell Hall, not sure what all they did were fired. There's been several more but I don't know who.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#174 Mar 12, 2013
I apologize...
Need to make a correction:

The housekeeper who got fired for speaking her mind, well, the vice president who fired her got fired himself a few months later, but it was around the same time that the lady informed Bethel she was filing a lawsuit.

Maryville, TN

#175 Mar 13, 2013
It is kind of funny the complaints all come from student workers....all connected to a certain department...makes wonder if housing is calling the shots..because rumor has it the complaint about the girl that went into the room came out at party at a certain invdividual's house..wont mention names but the head of housekeeping is her mother.....
rumor

Maryville, TN

#176 Mar 13, 2013
Hmm...housing may be involved but campbell hall is clearly calling the shots. One of them was told by an individual on campus that campbell hall had decided she needed to go..too just think that is dirty..know there was one out of the business office...three housekeepers, a maintence worker..and number of others that were fired for "complaints" The complaints were mostly from student workers..one had some one very close to the top tell her it was put into play ..sounds like a fix
truth

Maryville, TN

#177 Mar 13, 2013
Well being as all of the complaints came from student workers that were all RA's I would say pretty good chance housing was behing it.
Sources say the girl who complained about a housekeeper going in her room is now an RD sounds like a pay off
Irony

Chatsworth, GA

#178 Mar 13, 2013
Gil wrote:
I'm not perfect - just using my education to avoid looking like an idiot. Take it from this BU Alumni (undergrad and grad)- learn how to review your work and correct mistakes before you submit anything. No one will take you seriously if you ignore common sense rules.
Alumni is plural. You mean to use the singular form (alumnus). You wouldn't say, "Take it from this BU graduates." You would say, "Take it from this BU graduate." You'd probably spare yourself some embarrassment by making sure you haven't made any errors in your own posts, especially in posts calling others out for their own mistakes. What I like most about this is that the other guy just pressed the wrong key on his keyboard. He really knows how to spell that financial. You, however, actually lack grammatical knowledge. Who's not being taken seriously now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKenzie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Josh McDaniel (Jan '13) 3 hr Rycdcggvv 10
Ole West Steakhouse (Dec '11) 4 hr Angie 131
Amish markets 7 hr Friend 2
mckenzie medical center 20 hr Laurie 4
Where is Michael Ridley now? Wed Former MJR patient 11
Catherine at raceway Tue Looking for old f... 1
Concerned "' Jul 21 gawker 2

McKenzie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance