Is Bethel University Really Broke
honest

Maryville, TN

#93 Feb 10, 2013
Wildcat Fan....I hope you understand mean no harm..only want the truth but guess going to have to accept that will never happen

bethel grad like I said before if it is because of the economy they should say so and not make up lies and alibites...not when they say they christians..

in short it is called bullying and it needs to stop..no it is not harmless it caused real problems for some people
bethel grad

United States

#94 Feb 10, 2013
honest wrote:
Wildcat Fan....I hope you understand mean no harm..only want the truth but guess going to have to accept that will never happen

bethel grad like I said before if it is because of the economy they should say so and not make up lies and alibites...not when they say they christians..

in short it is called bullying and it needs to stop..no it is not harmless it caused real problems for some people
Didn't they say on the news Friday that they were having layoffs and reviewing the budget? Well, clearly those two things are connected. They don't have the money to pay people whose jobs aren't necessary to the operation of the school so there are layoffs. I am the first one to say that it is terrible, but bethel has needed to stop overspending and hiring too many people for years.
honest

Maryville, TN

#95 Feb 10, 2013
Yes that is true bethel grad..only this started before the money problems.
student

Columbia, TN

#96 Feb 10, 2013
bethel grad wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't they say on the news Friday that they were having layoffs and reviewing the budget? Well, clearly those two things are connected. They don't have the money to pay people whose jobs aren't necessary to the operation of the school so there are layoffs. I am the first one to say that it is terrible, but bethel has needed to stop overspending and hiring too many people for years.
It's a little odd tho that all of the people with "fluff" jobs that were fired/laid off were the same people with the answers to everyone's questions.... Just saying.
Alum

Jackson, TN

#97 Feb 11, 2013
bethel grad wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't they say on the news Friday that they were having layoffs and reviewing the budget? Well, clearly those two things are connected. They don't have the money to pay people whose jobs aren't necessary to the operation of the school so there are layoffs. I am the first one to say that it is terrible, but bethel has needed to stop overspending and hiring too many people for years.
It's my understanding there have been a number of personnel changes as well as budget revisions in an effort to put things in right order. It makes sense to me - just like we've had to do in our family, the school is tightening its belt and eliminating excessive expenditures. I regret employed positions have been cut but for the long term viability of the school, it is smart business.
BethelStudent

Tucker, GA

#100 Feb 14, 2013
The administration holds Open Forums for students to come as ask questions and learn of new developments every semester and they truly are informational and I personally find them interesting and enlightening. The last one they had all but 2 or 3 students asked about the financial issues even though the financial officer ha only been in his position for this past semester and knew as much as the student body did and it was harmful when other important questions needed to be asked as well. The financial records have been turned over and the jobs that were let go weren't needed...like the greeter in Vera Low student center...who made a 6-digit salary was let go...and several other secretaries and other fluff positions. I have personally not heard of professors being let go but it is also mid-semester so that would be ill-timed for them and students. I am apart of the education department going after a Elementary education (K-6) degree/certification with a dual certification in Special Education (K-12). It's unfortunate that this has happened, yes but oh well. As Bethel is a private university they are not required to tell anyone anything or do anything to please anyone. They can basically do as they please. And their athletics have taken off! The boy and girls basketball teams are both ranked with the tournament in their sights, their hokey team won nationals last year, their football team made their playoffs and ALSO BEAT #1 ranked Georgetown! They also have very successful volleyball, fishing, and shooting teams! And they have a very good soccer team. Their athletics are doing great and I love attending Bethel. I love the people there, the professors, and my classes! I enjoy being there and I am a member of the Academic Band...which is NOT under Renaissance. Bethel is my home and I will always call it home unless I get kicked out for some reason which isn't likely.
honest

Maryville, TN

#101 Feb 14, 2013
BethelStudent while it is true they may not be required to tell anything because they are a private univiersity they really should stop making up lies and alibies to get rid of people. I can now count 8 who were fired for things did not do..umm...that sounds like lying to me ? Does it not you. Now they claim it is to cut back when it all began way before the problems did. Don't get me wrong...I love Bethel too but they need to be honest...they want staff to believe it is one big happy family...then there should not be some playing dirty and lying to get rid of people...if ask me..that should be where the cuts should be made...would love to see Bethel bounce back to loving place it used to be and for it to happen a lot of the ones that stir the pot need to go.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#102 Feb 14, 2013
honest wrote:
BethelStudent while it is true they may not be required to tell anything because they are a private univiersity they really should stop making up lies and alibies to get rid of people. I can now count 8 who were fired for things did not do..umm...that sounds like lying to me ? Does it not you. Now they claim it is to cut back when it all began way before the problems did. Don't get me wrong...I love Bethel too but they need to be honest...they want staff to believe it is one big happy family...then there should not be some playing dirty and lying to get rid of people...if ask me..that should be where the cuts should be made...would love to see Bethel bounce back to loving place it used to be and for it to happen a lot of the ones that stir the pot need to go.
I have to agree with you.

Several of the people who were laid did have fluff jobs like the greeter, but many did not have fluff jobs. Some were being over paid, like the greeter, but many of those who've been let go were at the bottom of the barrel making a little over minimum wage. Yet, they continue to line the big wigs (who were responsible for this whole financial fiasco) pockets with 6-figure salaries.

I only know of a small handful of people who were fired, and most of them were fired for unsubstantiated claims or just flat out B.S. reasons. Word from the grapevine has it that one of those that got fired has sued Bethel.

After the recent articles in the newspapers about Bethel's financial situation, it has undoubtedly cast a dark shadow over the university. Bethel should have done an across the board pay cut to most of the employees and would have probably ended up saving boat loads more money. I guarantee most would willingly do it if it meant keeping their jobs rather than having to join the unemployment line.

Instead, Bethel has decided to layoff a bunch of people--and possibly more to come; they've cut retirement benefits, cut out the complimentary staff meals (even though there's no telling how much the Caf throws away), cut out access to the fitness center (unless they pay a membership fee), and no telling what else. I wonder how much longer it'll be before they start making cuts to their health insurance plans and start forcing the employee to pay the bulk of of the premium. After all the cuts to staff and benefits are done, I bet there'll be little incentive for anybody to stay there if a better opportunity arises.

While Bethel may think they're trimming the fat, all they're doing is spoiling the meat.
honest

Maryville, TN

#103 Feb 15, 2013
I totally agree with you It is what it is...
I have also heard one has sued them.
My think is this...they have these people who did not do anything..most of them were good dependable workers. Well, if cuts are needed..there are a lot of people that are at retirement age. Would that not make more sense if it was for budget cuts ? Or if they were laying off for budget reasons just say so. Not make up lies and alibies. As said before...the people making up the lies and alibies and ones playing along need to be on the cut list. It will help Bethel bounce back to the friendly place it once was.
the dude

Big Sandy, TN

#104 Feb 15, 2013
I've heard that Bethel is going close down the fitness center next door to Fred's.
concerned

Murray, KY

#105 Feb 15, 2013
You can sue anyone you want, but it's really hard to prove a wrongful firing if you don't have a union backing you up. As is stands, all Bethel employees are "right to work" employees. They can be let go for any reason, good or bad, and have little or no recourse. I don't like it, but that's the way it is. They need to come clean with the problems they've had; come clean with who mishandled all the money; and come explain what they are going to do to clean up the mess. That can all be laid at the feet of the Board of Trustees. They decided to hold everything close, and now it's backfiring on them.
Only me

Dresden, TN

#106 Feb 15, 2013
the dude wrote:
I've heard that Bethel is going close down the fitness center next door to Fred's.
If they do just go to the hospital, they have a great fitness center.. Not to mention their physical therapy center is the best!!!!
honest

Maryville, TN

#107 Feb 15, 2013
Yes everyone knows Bethel is an at will work place..but that should not make it right for them to flat out make up stuff to get rid of people...the message is clear for others...play along to stay around...and not many are willing to go against them and they know it...
Onlooker

Gleason, TN

#108 Feb 15, 2013
the dude wrote:
They are shutting the one besides Freds but you will be able to go to the one on campus. They have a posting on the door.

Jackson, TN

#109 Feb 16, 2013
honest wrote:
Yes everyone knows Bethel is an at will work place..but that should not make it right for them to flat out make up stuff to get rid of people...the message is clear for others...play along to stay around...and not many are willing to go against them and they know it...
Honest from Milan - I know how hard this is and I'm sorry you weren't treated right.
They were straight up with me and said we were overstaffed, cutting back to the number of employees really needed and trimming the budget of any excess. They gave me a written letter of recommendation and Yes, it hurt but I was treated respectfully.
honest

Maryville, TN

#110 Feb 16, 2013
Really happy for you Guest. I am glad you were told straight up and treated fairly.
I just think they should have done that will everyone
CuriousSenior

Trenton, TN

#111 Feb 18, 2013
Is choosing bethel to go in the fall a good choice? or should I be worried about my sholarships and finacial aid? and should I look into another school?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#112 Feb 18, 2013
CuriousSenior wrote:
Is choosing bethel to go in the fall a good choice? or should I be worried about my sholarships and finacial aid? and should I look into another school?
While I am very leery about Bethel's overall financial situation, I don't think you should let that affect your decision to go there or not.

The educators are still the same and they are all most good teachers, and the school will more than likely honor any and all athletic scholarships, though they might not be as much as they have been in the past.

However, the ultimate deciding factor is this: do you feel comfortable there? Do you like the environment and the workers/students there that you've met while on tour. If so, then go with that. If not, investigate other alternatives.

Remember this, too; you can transfer if it turns out to not be what you thought. Most if not all basic courses that you take the first couple years will transfer to another university.
CuriousSenior

Trenton, TN

#113 Feb 18, 2013
So It Is What It Is wrote:
<quoted text>While I am very leery about Bethel's overall financial situation, I don't think you should let that affect your decision to go there or not.

The educators are still the same and they are all most good teachers, and the school will more than likely honor any and all athletic scholarships, though they might not be as much as they have been in the past.

However, the ultimate deciding factor is this: do you feel comfortable there? Do you like the environment and the workers/students there that you've met while on tour. If so, then go with that. If not, investigate other alternatives.

Remember this, too; you can transfer if it turns out to not be what you thought. Most if not all basic courses that you take the first couple years will transfer to another university.
Well I can't afford college without scholarships and Finacial aid so I'm not worried about if I like the environment I'm worried about the money. So with that being said would it be a good idea to look into another school?
Concerned

Murray, KY

#114 Feb 18, 2013
CuriousSenior wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I can't afford college without scholarships and Finacial aid so I'm not worried about if I like the environment I'm worried about the money. So with that being said would it be a good idea to look into another school?
Bethel is a good school with great teachers. Yes, they are going through a hard time because someone screwed up. He is gone. They will get through it and all will be well again. Heck, I remember in the 70's things got MUCH worse than this at BU. Bob Hope even came to McKenzie and did a benefit concert to help them keep the doors open! If you like BU, don't hesitate to attend there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKenzie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dollar Store 6 hr tennesseegirl 2
Hannah hones 8 hr think about it 3
hottest female teacher at school (May '11) Tue Kde 11
Meth Heads (Dec '10) Aug 23 Sheila 7
Divorce awhile back Aug 22 curious 2
1940 Phillco t,v. (Dec '14) Aug 22 Better than you 14
Who's that little S.O.B. who runs the floor at ... Aug 21 Sanderson 1

McKenzie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance