Is Bethel University Really Broke
truthfully

Cookeville, TN

#21 Nov 26, 2012
the lady wanted to OVERCHARGE THE STUDENTS on the apartments. Bethel was not letting that happen. Bethel is fine-everyone has cut backs now and then. Regardless of who takes courses you still have to do the work and make the grades to get the degress.
Somewhat

Columbia, TN

#22 Nov 26, 2012
I had heard that she had the apartments built with the intentions of trying to get Bethel to buy it, and tried having it limited to only students until the city forced her to make it accessible to everybody.

It was obvious if you've ever been in one of the rooms. You can't tell me those were designed as apartments. It was clearly designed to look a small dorm suite.

At one time Bethel students were living in there, and Bethel was paying for it, and then it stopped. I think that's where 'truthfully's' story comes in about her charging too much.

At one time, I thought it was like $800 a month.

Maryville, TN

#23 Nov 26, 2012
Yes...I know some one who used to live near there. She told her that her plan was to sell to Bethel. Yes the apartments are more like dorms...if ever been in it is clear she ment to sell..Bethel rented the apartments before the new dorms were built because they did not have enough space.
Poor with dignity

Dallas, TX

#24 Nov 27, 2012
mba wrote:
Is the mba program a diploma mill?
YES the MBA is a JOKE. This whole school is nothing but a JOKE. You cant go to a no-name school and expect to get a undergrad or Masters that carries any weight. They will do anything to make money. Go look they are offering a "new associate degree" now. What a joke! What are you a University or a Community College? Make up your mind.. DO NOT GO TO BETHEL! If you love purple and wildcats then go to Northwestern University.
Most people will just think im hating on Bethel for some reason other than the truth. But the truth is they will rip you off and take your money out of your account. Im not talking about the fact that they will give you a useless degree on a useless piece paper,, thats a given..
If you want a paper that says Master's of Business Administration on it just to hang in your room,, then go there and waste your money. Or ill make you one that will look just like it at a fraction of the cost. Now if you want an MBA so you can get a 200K job then go to a Top Tier school. Wharton, Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, MIT.. The bottom line is dont waste your time and money for a junk degree unless you want to work for 50,000 dollars for the rest of your life. 50k will feed you but its not real MBA money.
Have you heard

Milan, TN

#25 Nov 28, 2012
I heard that the girls basketball team were all a "little masculine" if you know what I mean!
Hmmmm

Cookeville, TN

#28 Dec 3, 2012
Poor with dignity wrote:
<quoted text>
YES the MBA is a JOKE. This whole school is nothing but a JOKE. You cant go to a no-name school and expect to get a undergrad or Masters that carries any weight. They will do anything to make money. Go look they are offering a "new associate degree" now. What a joke! What are you a University or a Community College? Make up your mind.. DO NOT GO TO BETHEL! If you love purple and wildcats then go to Northwestern University.
Most people will just think im hating on Bethel for some reason other than the truth. But the truth is they will rip you off and take your money out of your account. Im not talking about the fact that they will give you a useless degree on a useless piece paper,, thats a given..
If you want a paper that says Master's of Business Administration on it just to hang in your room,, then go there and waste your money. Or ill make you one that will look just like it at a fraction of the cost. Now if you want an MBA so you can get a 200K job then go to a Top Tier school. Wharton, Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, MIT.. The bottom line is dont waste your time and money for a junk degree unless you want to work for 50,000 dollars for the rest of your life. 50k will feed you but its not real MBA money.
Sounds like someone went to Bethel and got their butt hurt. If Bethel is offering an associates degree they aren't the first university to offer associates degrees as a university. Many big name universities across the country offer them. As far as the MBA....... sounds like you got denied entry so you decide to cry about it on Topix.
concerned

Maryville, TN

#30 Dec 7, 2012
Somewhat wrote:
I had heard that she had the apartments built with the intentions of trying to get Bethel to buy it, and tried having it limited to only students until the city forced her to make it accessible to everybody.
It was obvious if you've ever been in one of the rooms. You can't tell me those were designed as apartments. It was clearly designed to look a small dorm suite.
At one time Bethel students were living in there, and Bethel was paying for it, and then it stopped. I think that's where 'truthfully's' story comes in about her charging too much.
At one time, I thought it was like $800 a month.
Actually She Approached Bethel About Building Dorm Style Apartments And Was Encouraged By The Prosser's To Do So...So She Built Them And Then Bethel Rented Them And Then Bailed On Her...The City Didn't Force Her To Do Anything...She Built Them To Provide For Her Family An Income And The Rent Was Set By Bethel,,,With All utilities Furnished Was Less Than 250 A Month Per Student...
Somewhat

Columbia, TN

#31 Dec 7, 2012
Unless she had some sort of a contract with Bethel, then Bethel was not obligated to rent from her.

As far as the City goes, If I'm remembering correctly, I remember in the newspaper the City refusing her request to limit the building to students only, and that she had to accept everybody, otherwise it would be housing discrimination.
guest2

Humboldt, TN

#36 Dec 12, 2012
its sounds to me like they let grounds keepers go because theres no grass to be mowed, no hedges to be trimmed, and nothing needs to be weed eated! but in the summer time they will probably start back working. Thats just my opioion

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#37 Dec 12, 2012
Yeah, I heard about them letting the groundskeepers go, leaving only 1 man. I actually know a few of the guys that work in that department.

I guess the folks in the Administration think all they do is mow grass and trim bushes, but there's actually quite a bit of stuff they have to get done in the winter time to prepare for the Spring.

On top of that, they're also responsible for cleaning up all the trash and litter for 1,500 students every day when school is in session.

It may take a while, but they'll realize they can't operate with 1 full time groundskeeper.
concerned

Murray, KY

#39 Dec 14, 2012
What is going on wrote:
<quoted text>
What newspaper did you read this story about the Paris campus???
The Paris Post Intelligencer

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#41 Dec 14, 2012
I think Dan Jackson's article was a little over the top.

To my understanding, Bethel approached McKenzie Regional Hospital about joining together and building a facility for their physicians program. The word was that Regional wanted nothing to do with it.

After Regional turned them down, they went to HCMC who accepted to offer, which is why it was built in Paris.

But, that's just what I had heard.
What is going on

United States

#42 Dec 14, 2012
Hey... if they turned it down... it's our gain and I am happy to see it in Paris.
Interesting

Knoxville, TN

#43 Dec 16, 2012
All I know is their athletic department has turned out some very competitive teams in multiple sports recently.
Patton

Murray, KY

#44 Dec 18, 2012
So It Is What It Is wrote:
I think Dan Jackson's article was a little over the top.
To my understanding, Bethel approached McKenzie Regional Hospital about joining together and building a facility for their physicians program. The word was that Regional wanted nothing to do with it.
After Regional turned them down, they went to HCMC who accepted to offer, which is why it was built in Paris.
But, that's just what I had heard.
Mckenzie hospital wanted no part of the financing package Bethel offered. And in hindsight it was a good decision. Bethel has told Paris they can't afford to finish out the bldg and now needs HCMC to finish it out. Yes, it's open, but a lot of work is not finished. "Something" happened to theoney BU had for that bldg. is it a coincidence that Steve lost his job right after building a million dollar home in Henry? Must have earned GOOD money as an assistant to the president!!
What is going on

United States

#45 Dec 19, 2012
Patton wrote:
<quoted text>
Mckenzie hospital wanted no part of the financing package Bethel offered. And in hindsight it was a good decision. Bethel has told Paris they can't afford to finish out the bldg and now needs HCMC to finish it out. Yes, it's open, but a lot of work is not finished. "Something" happened to theoney BU had for that bldg. is it a coincidence that Steve lost his job right after building a million dollar home in Henry? Must have earned GOOD money as an assistant to the president!!
The Bethel Univ. part of the building is NOT open as they are still working on it. It is set to open in Feb.

I have seen nothing in the news to say Bethel can't finish their part and I am sure there is no way they could just stop it and pass it on the the hospital or Paris.

Paris and the hospital would sue Bethel for everything they have and Bethel would lose and probably have to close their doors... which would destroy the economy of McKenzie. And someone might go to jail!!!

And they wouldn't have built this much of the building if Bethel hadn't put the money up front.

However, if this is true... which I doubt... but rest assured the sh*t will hit the fan!!! And Bethel U. will go down in a ball of fire, but Paris will still have a new building. The hospital could find many good uses for it.

So, I really doubt this is going to happen... Bethe U. will open as planned in Feb. in Paris.

Maryville, TN

#46 Dec 20, 2012
Sounds like a good dose of Karma !!
gonond

Masontown, PA

#47 Dec 20, 2012
youtube.com/watch...
To bad its Broke?
concerned

Murray, KY

#48 Dec 21, 2012
What is going on wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bethel Univ. part of the building is NOT open as they are still working on it. It is set to open in Feb.
I have seen nothing in the news to say Bethel can't finish their part and I am sure there is no way they could just stop it and pass it on the the hospital or Paris.
Paris and the hospital would sue Bethel for everything they have and Bethel would lose and probably have to close their doors... which would destroy the economy of McKenzie. And someone might go to jail!!!
And they wouldn't have built this much of the building if Bethel hadn't put the money up front.
However, if this is true... which I doubt... but rest assured the sh*t will hit the fan!!! And Bethel U. will go down in a ball of fire, but Paris will still have a new building. The hospital could find many good uses for it.
So, I really doubt this is going to happen... Bethe U. will open as planned in Feb. in Paris.
Go talk to Sam Tharpe, the mayor of Paris. Or the County Executive in Henry County. Bethel cannot afford to finish the building and has told Paris and Henry County so. There is a lot going on here that doesn't add up. Four more people were let go at the end of this last semester, along with Prosser's boy. The board of trustees found "inappropriation of funds" but will not persecute anyone. Sounds like a huge cover up to me.
What

Belvidere, IL

#50 Dec 23, 2012
UTM Alumni wrote:
<quoted text> Bethel is turning into somewhat of a "degree mill" school with these silly "criminal justice" degrees offered all across the state. Podunk cops can get Pell grants to attend Bethel. Receive college credit for the time they worked in a podunk police or sheriff's department. Also, receive credit for attending a police academy that serves primarily podunk police and sheriff"s departments. College isn't for everyone. Many of these officers function at a third or fourth grade reading level. They think they are all going to go work for the TBI or FBI. Good god !!
Agree! I don't think reputable companies will put much stock into these generic degrees offered there through the Success program. It appears that most of the grads just go to work for Bethel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKenzie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Boys basketball (Jul '12) 1 hr embarrsedbulldog 9
Kayla (Nov '13) 2 hr Kaylajosnathoncar... 2
Squirters 11 hr Happy 26
Trina Humfrees Sat Great eight 1
ready for itttt Fri Anonymous 1
Mrs. Ann Conquest what happened? (May '11) Feb 23 Brook 10
Who's that little S.O.B. who runs the floor at ... (Aug '16) Feb 20 Some business owner 3

McKenzie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

McKenzie Mortgages