Is Bethel University Really Broke
Faith and Hope

Jackson, TN

#371 Apr 23, 2013
inside wrote:
It's a fact that Bethel has until May 5th to get things worked out,, or the doors will close... Be prepared if you are an employee of Bethel that the unthinkable could happen.
Please stop! You are doing nothing but creating more problems and at this point in time, it is NOT what is needed!. Employees at Bethel are more than aware of what's going on and don't need you running around like Chicken Little yelling "The sky is falling, the sky is falling." For the sake of the students, employees & the local economies in Carroll & Henry Counties, pray for a positive solution instead of spouting all the negative predictions. Use your energy for good - use your energy for change!
True

Lexington, TN

#372 Apr 23, 2013
So It Is What It Is wrote:
And yes, Interesting. Bethel's athletics program competes reasonably well in the NAIA, but I personally see no need for them to move up.
The football program has won numerous conference titles and made a handful of national playoff appearances in the 10 years.
The soccer program has made a few national playoff appearances, along with actually winning a national title.
The basketball programs have greatly improved over the last few years and they too have made appearances in the playoffs.
To say that Bethel struggles to compete in the NAIA is a very ignorant statement, but completely understandable if you don't even remotely keep track of what goes on in Bethel athletics.
The question was could Bethel move to NCAA if they don't close their doors financially. Considering that Union and Freed OVERALL the past few years have dominated Bethel and considering that Union has struggled in all but women's basketball in the NCAA and considering that Union has stomped Bethel year after year after year in women's basketball, then it should be obvious that the transition would be a bumpy ride even if they weren't in financial ruins. But hey, maybe the inline hockey team or the skeet shooters could move up, LMAO!!
Interesting

Knoxville, TN

#374 Apr 23, 2013
True wrote:
<quoted text>
The question was could Bethel move to NCAA if they don't close their doors financially. Considering that Union and Freed OVERALL the past few years have dominated Bethel and considering that Union has struggled in all but women's basketball in the NCAA and considering that Union has stomped Bethel year after year after year in women's basketball, then it should be obvious that the transition would be a bumpy ride even if they weren't in financial ruins. But hey, maybe the inline hockey team or the skeet shooters could move up, LMAO!!
But Bethel taking 2 of 3 from them in baseball this year doesn't mean anything?
Funny

Corinth, MS

#375 Apr 23, 2013
True wrote:
<quoted text>
That is hilarious! Of course you are right, Bethel has been a second tier Transouth member for years. If you look at the whole athletic program it has been sad. For those of you Bethel lovers that want to pick and choose a program here and there that might have a fair year, then I say move on up to the big leagues, every conference has to have someone on the bottom.
inside

Columbia, TN

#376 Apr 23, 2013
Faith and Hope wrote:
<quoted text>Please stop! You are doing nothing but creating more problems and at this point in time, it is NOT what is needed!. Employees at Bethel are more than aware of what's going on and don't need you running around like Chicken Little yelling "The sky is falling, the sky is falling." For the sake of the students, employees & the local economies in Carroll & Henry Counties, pray for a positive solution instead of spouting all the negative predictions. Use your energy for good - use your energy for change!
It's my job to prepare you for what could happen. I do not believe in white washing the truth. I hope that everything turns out fine but the reality is the public needs to know the truth. However,, if you read the last few comments most ppl are not concerned with my comments near as much as the sports edition... So, instead of whining about negative energy, why don't you grow a backbone, suck it up and use your own energy for something good.
somewhat

Columbia, TN

#377 Apr 23, 2013
If Bethel was seriously on the verge of closing its doors in a mere 2 weeks, I would seriously think that rumors would already be floating around.

I just can't imagine something of that magnitude being kept quiet. Bethel employs like 500 people, that's a lot of people to keep in the dark with the threat of shutting down only being two weeks away.

Now I know Bethel is in a lot deeper debt than what people are being led to believe, they owe Venture construction itself like $10 million, not to mention other projects and bills they owe for...for for Christs sake, Lambuth University didn't even close its doors that quick. It was still like a year and a half long process before they finally closed.
Reply-to-Inside

Columbia, TN

#378 Apr 23, 2013
inside wrote:
<quoted text>
It's my job to prepare you for what could happen. I do not believe in white washing the truth. I hope that everything turns out fine but the reality is the public needs to know the truth. However,, if you read the last few comments most ppl are not concerned with my comments near as much as the sports edition... So, instead of whining about negative energy, why don't you grow a backbone, suck it up and use your own energy for something good.
Your job?? I bet you are self-employed
Faith and Hope

Jackson, TN

#379 Apr 23, 2013
inside wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet pea - I've got a back bone, lots of energy to be used for good and I can tell you straight up, I don't need you to prepare me for anything! I don't believe in white washing the truth either and neither do I believe in someone who only knows half of the story, spouting gloom & doom. If indeed you are an employee who has the inside scoop, you might want to rethink spouting anything on here since IP addresses are easy to trace. Back off Bethel. Get a life. Pick on somebody else for a change!
because

Lexington, TN

#380 Apr 24, 2013
somewhat wrote:
If Bethel was seriously on the verge of closing its doors in a mere 2 weeks, I would seriously think that rumors would already be floating around.
I just can't imagine something of that magnitude being kept quiet. Bethel employs like 500 people, that's a lot of people to keep in the dark with the threat of shutting down only being two weeks away.
Now I know Bethel is in a lot deeper debt than what people are being led to believe, they owe Venture construction itself like $10 million, not to mention other projects and bills they owe for...for for Christs sake, Lambuth University didn't even close its doors that quick. It was still like a year and a half long process before they finally closed.
Lambuth took that long because their were potential suitors to take over which in fact happened with UofM. Who do you think will step in for Bethel?
Interesting

Knoxville, TN

#381 Apr 24, 2013
somewhat wrote:
Lambuth was able to hold on because their affiliation with SACS hadn't been terminated. There is no way these idiots on here are correct about the college closing this summer. It doesn't mean something bad can't happen, but I believe they could hold on as long as the SACS doesn't drop them. That's what ultimately failed Lambuth, as they were appealing their affiliation,at this time two years ago. When it was finally denied back in, that was the final nail in the coffin.

United States

#382 Apr 24, 2013
Faith and Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
Sweet pea - I've got a back bone, lots of energy to be used for good and I can tell you straight up, I don't need you to prepare me for anything! I don't believe in white washing the truth either and neither do I believe in someone who only knows half of the story, spouting gloom & doom. If indeed you are an employee who has the inside scoop, you might want to rethink spouting anything on here since IP addresses are easy to trace. Back off Bethel. Get a life. Pick on somebody else for a change!
This sounds somewhat like a threat! Topix is a sounding board. Who are you to tell someone to back off?
anon

Johnson City, TN

#383 Apr 24, 2013
Probably 2 weeks will tell all anyway. Either way, there won't be squat anyone can do about it. times are hard and it appears they are getting harder. i never thought I would see the Career Centers closing either

Maryville, TN

#384 Apr 24, 2013
MaybeBethel won't tell lies and alibies to get rid of people. You know when you play God for so long it comes back to bite in the butt. A little thing some of the many people who have been hit by bogus complaints like to call karma.

Johnson City, TN

#385 Apr 25, 2013
guest wrote:
MaybeBethel won't tell lies and alibies to get rid of people. You know when you play God for so long it comes back to bite in the butt. A little thing some of the many people who have been hit by bogus complaints like to call karma.
Don't go to work at MMC as there is just more of the same
inside

Paris, TN

#386 Apr 25, 2013
Reply-to-Inside wrote:
<quoted text>Your job?? I bet you are self-employed
I get paid the big bucks... And that's a mystery for you...
inside

Paris, TN

#387 Apr 25, 2013
Faith and Hope wrote:
<quoted text>Sweet pea - I've got a back bone, lots of energy to be used for good and I can tell you straight up, I don't need you to prepare me for anything! I don't believe in white washing the truth either and neither do I believe in someone who only knows half of the story, spouting gloom & doom. If indeed you are an employee who has the inside scoop, you might want to rethink spouting anything on here since IP addresses are easy to trace. Back off Bethel. Get a life. Pick on somebody else for a change!
It's a free country, I can spout or spew anything I want. I'm not worried about my IP address bc it get paid the big bucks sweet pea...
Reply-to-inside

Columbia, TN

#388 Apr 25, 2013
I suppose big bucks is $10 an hour?
Interesting

Knoxville, TN

#389 Apr 25, 2013
Regardless, no one could rebut my argument that Bethel has continued to play against NCAA D2 competition with ease. But I guess that doesn't matter, or count to those who don't think the athletic department is worth a dman
somewhat

Columbia, TN

#390 Apr 26, 2013
Interesting wrote:
Regardless, no one could rebut my argument that Bethel has continued to play against NCAA D2 competition with ease. But I guess that doesn't matter, or count to those who don't think the athletic department is worth a dman
I think Bethel would struggle to compete against many of the top tier D2 teams in their conference, and certainly wouldn't win any titles for many years. But after a few years and enough opportunities to recruit NCAA level athletes, they would undoubtedly improve.

With Dale Kelley being the athletic director and quite knowledgeable about the NCAA from the athletics point of view considering his previous jobs, he would undoubtedly be a great asset.

However, I really just don't see it happening any time soon. It's a couple of years long process. Bethel will have to get together an exploratory committee, meet with the NCAA, improve in certain areas that might not quite be up to NCAA standards and then the NCAA will still have to grant approval for them to join.

With the financial shape Bethel is in right now, and likely to be in for several years, the NCAA probably wouldn't even let any representatives from Bethel through the front door at the NCAA offices.
It is simple

Lexington, TN

#391 Apr 26, 2013
It really is simple. They are an average "at best" NAIA program. If they move up to better competition then they go from second tier to bottom tier.

But somewhat is correct, right now the NCAA would laugh if they applied. Bethel had better just focus like a laser on keeping the doors open.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKenzie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kitty corner 11 hr Guest 1
Who farted in macks camo Sun shhh dont tell 3
Bailey Mae Eden Sat her 9
jagger p (Sep '12) Sat Chris Pearson 10
The mckenzie clinic (Oct '11) Oct 20 Mr_Tito_aka_The_B... 164
Day Care behind the clearner Oct 19 Grammar Police 2
Work from home Oct 16 Tes 1

McKenzie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance