guest

Huntingdon, TN

#324 Apr 14, 2013
BU employee not true. People are getting fired due to bogus made up complaints. Yes there is a cligue. Don't believe everything they tell you. Ten of the people who were fired were due to bogus made up complaints. The only people who believe are ones who were involved. Had a person with very close ties to Campbell Hall, housekeeping, and housing tell that the set ups are real. He told me and my relative, the fix had already been made. So what does that tell you ? Wake up before your number gets pulled.
employee

Duluth, GA

#325 Apr 14, 2013
Bu employee wrote:
I work there and this is crap. There is no clique. People get fired cause they don't do their job or because of cutbacks. Fact. This is probably someone who got fired because they got caught doing something wrong. Always easier to blame someone else for your mistakes. Bethel will be just fine !
Others get caught doing things they shouldn't while on the job. They are still here .
The truth

Savannah, TN

#330 Apr 16, 2013
The real truth is basically this. There is has been extreme financial mismanagement. The school is far from anything even considered Christian. Just look at the womens basketball team and their alternative lifestyle out in the open and the coach knows it when he recruits them. Very sad. Bethel had such promise to fail so miserably.
Concerned Parent

Georgetown, TX

#331 Apr 16, 2013
I am a parent of a student involved in a sport at Bethel, many of the items listed are correct & raise flags because we have witnessed the personal impact. Including sport finances held up. Basically sending athletes into battle completely unprepared due to delays in funding. Overpayments on student accounts not being transfered over to savings, rather held in Bethel funds until next semester. When Bethel was insistant on initial enrollment they be provided with a savings account & were required to transfer over payments to the student in a certain time frame.
Here are my questions:

What truly is the financial issues Bethel is facing & how were they created?

Will all currently funded sports continue to be funded next semester?

Will sports scholarships continue to be offered, will the funding (discounted tuition) be honored come the fall?

In addition to employees being let go for whatever the unfortunate circumstances are.(Bad economy for anyone to be let go & I pray for each of you). It is my understanding that Bethel has cut back on employee benefits including retirement contributions. It is my experience with any business when you cut valuable benefits to employees they no longer feel valued. Eventually seeking employment elsewhere. Number on reason people quit is they no longer feel valued.

How long will these budget constraints continue?

How good is a degree in Business from a college who has business mismanagement?

I get the whole issues of a Christian school with lack of Christian character by many. You will have that anywhere unfortunately. There is no requirement to display Christian character to attend a Christian school. Unfortunately we all have to learn to be good role models on our own & hopefully encourage those who are not being a good role model to become one. Thanks for any information. The information seems so limited. Lack of information leads to LOTS of assumptions. Especially for parents financially contributing to the school through their students educational opportunity.
sad

Savannah, TN

#332 Apr 16, 2013
It is really sad. I know that the womens basketball coach lost recruits last year because he was not able to offer full scholarships.

While it is true that you will find non Christian acting people at a Christian college. You just don't expect it to be by the coaches and administration.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide what to do with your son/daughter and the Bethel situation. Rest assured that these financial problems will be a long term thing.
andrea

Jackson, TN

#333 Apr 17, 2013
Bethel is doin fine huh? So they cancelling summer renasannce camp and refunding money. The Bobby Knight thing isnt selling. They are just doin internet classes this summer, no summer school. I guess Bethel don't want to be a quarter mil overdrawn in its bank acct again like it was last summer and had to beg for a million donation just to make payroll and cover the overdraft. And dont be suprised when they layoff a bunch of people when the spring term comes to an end. It won't be a long term thing cuz bethel probably wont be around that long. Thats sad because it didnt have to be that way. If Bethe wants to make cuts, maybe they should start cutting all those 100,000 plus salaries in Campbell hall.
Umm

Grand Prairie, TX

#334 Apr 17, 2013
andrea wrote:
Bethel is doin fine huh? So they cancelling summer renasannce camp and refunding money. The Bobby Knight thing isnt selling. They are just doin internet classes this summer, no summer school. I guess Bethel don't want to be a quarter mil overdrawn in its bank acct again like it was last summer and had to beg for a million donation just to make payroll and cover the overdraft. And dont be suprised when they layoff a bunch of people when the spring term comes to an end. It won't be a long term thing cuz bethel probably wont be around that long. Thats sad because it didnt have to be that way. If Bethe wants to make cuts, maybe they should start cutting all those 100,000 plus salaries in Campbell hall.
I don't know where you get your information but they are not just having online classes this summer. Go to http://www.bethelu.edu/academics/university_r... and view their summer schedule. If it says LEC that means it's on campus. No there aren't as many as fall and spring but there never is.
Interesting

Knoxville, TN

#335 Apr 17, 2013
Well, I know they're starting the football season as the #9 ranked team in NAIA. hahah, in all seriousness, They need that really expensive nursing school project in Paris to work out. I'm not sure if it's finished yet, though I thought it was supposed to be. Either way, I get the feeling the powers that be are on edge, hoping that new extension campus can bring in some much needed money. But, I'm not as in-tune to the whole story.
andrea

Jackson, TN

#336 Apr 17, 2013
So if you want to buy the crap the school is selling, go right ahead. They won't have any staff. The lay offs are gonna start May 5, including all the assistance coaches. Lot of people are pissed at the cancelation of the renassance summer camp. Budget cuts is the reason. No summer classes. Get real.
Umm

Longview, TX

#337 Apr 18, 2013
andrea wrote:
So if you want to buy the crap the school is selling, go right ahead. They won't have any staff. The lay offs are gonna start May 5, including all the assistance coaches. Lot of people are pissed at the cancelation of the renassance summer camp. Budget cuts is the reason. No summer classes. Get real.
You just sound like a pissed off person that didn't get your way. I'm saying they wouldn't be signing people for classes if they were closing and not having the staff to teach the classes on the schedule.. Perhaps you don't remember when Lambuth closed. They notified everyone before summer even came. I think you're just trying to start trouble. If you weren't you wouldn't be on here putting negative comments about something that hasn't happened. Your statements are nothing but opinions because you have no facts to back them up. However, I showed my facts.
andrea

Jackson, TN

#338 Apr 18, 2013
Lambuth kept it classy. Bethel won't. As for the rest of your drivel, blah blah blah.
oh ok

Knoxville, TN

#339 Apr 18, 2013
andrea wrote:
Lambuth kept it classy. Bethel won't. As for the rest of your drivel, blah blah blah.
Interesting logic because Lambuth tried to follow the path that Bethel did with offering online courses, but it fell through.
Reply-to-Andrea

Milan, TN

#340 Apr 18, 2013
andrea wrote:
Lambuth kept it classy. Bethel won't. As for the rest of your drivel, blah blah blah.
I can tell that you are an authority on class.

I am lying
True

Savannah, TN

#341 Apr 19, 2013
andrea wrote:
Lambuth kept it classy. Bethel won't. As for the rest of your drivel, blah blah blah.
That is exactly right. Lambuth was a much more influential and larger school at a much bigger city and you see what happened to them. Bethel is on the path to crash and burn just like Lambuth.
Reply-to-True

Milan, TN

#342 Apr 19, 2013
True wrote:
<quoted text>
That is exactly right. Lambuth was a much more influential and larger school at a much bigger city and you see what happened to them. Bethel is on the path to crash and burn just like Lambuth.
Is your real name Nostradamas?
andrea

Jackson, TN

#343 Apr 19, 2013
To the genuine wit known as "Reply" --
To predict imminent demise at Bethel hardly takes any kind of clairvoyance like Nostradamus. But if it is your need to keep blabbing propaganda, feel free. I hope it makes you feel better. Bethel is broke. Big layoffs are coming at the end of the term. That hardly takes tea leaves to figure that out.That's it, that's all.
Reply-to-Andrea

Milan, TN

#344 Apr 19, 2013
andrea wrote:
To the genuine wit known as "Reply" --
To predict imminent demise at Bethel hardly takes any kind of clairvoyance like Nostradamus. But if it is your need to keep blabbing propaganda, feel free. I hope it makes you feel better. Bethel is broke. Big layoffs are coming at the end of the term. That hardly takes tea leaves to figure that out.That's it, that's all.
Because you have no argument, you must resort to personal attacks (babbling, propaganda)

Keep in mind, what seems obvious may not be the case. That is something a tertiary education is supposed to teach you. Perhaps you missed that day's lesson.

Unless you are privy to inside information from those ultimately in charge at Bethel, you really have no rational basis for predicting what the management or trustees plan to do about the institution.

As for feeling good, why do you seem to feel quite pleased contemplating the the closure of an institution that has surely contributed more good to West Tennessee than you can ever hope to contribute?
andrea

Medina, TN

#345 Apr 19, 2013
Tertiary education? Marginally so. I have inside info, that's just it. I know there may be a buyer for the place, but the buyer would likely have to assume up to 40 million in debt. I know 50 layoffs are coming when the term ends in a few weeks. I know the layoffs are going to affect almost every athletic program. I'm not pleased I hurt for the good Bethel community that has been harmed by the corrupt power hungry elements at the school. There are a lot of good people trying to stay afloat in that poisonous cesspool. Bethel was once a proud, strong institution. Your defensive posture just proves my point. Bethel is broke, it's in trouble and it's only going to get worse. As for doing good in West Tennessee, I can assure you I've done a lot more than you ever will think about.
cat

Columbia, TN

#346 Apr 20, 2013
andrea wrote:
Tertiary education? Marginally so. I have inside info, that's just it. I know there may be a buyer for the place, but the buyer would likely have to assume up to 40 million in debt. I know 50 layoffs are coming when the term ends in a few weeks. I know the layoffs are going to affect almost every athletic program. I'm not pleased I hurt for the good Bethel community that has been harmed by the corrupt power hungry elements at the school. There are a lot of good people trying to stay afloat in that poisonous cesspool. Bethel was once a proud, strong institution. Your defensive posture just proves my point. Bethel is broke, it's in trouble and it's only going to get worse. As for doing good in West Tennessee, I can assure you I've done a lot more than you ever will think about.
Sounds like you know lots of info. I've heard all of this too. I have a source that's confirmed more are going to be let go as well. I would advise those thinking they might be affected to start looking at other opportunities just in case. It never hurts to have a backup plan. However, I pray that things make a turn in a positive way... If everyone would pray instead of bashing you might see God at work..
Reply-to-Andrea

Milan, TN

#347 Apr 20, 2013
andrea wrote:
Tertiary education? Marginally so. I have inside info, that's just it. I know there may be a buyer for the place, but the buyer would likely have to assume up to 40 million in debt. I know 50 layoffs are coming when the term ends in a few weeks. I know the layoffs are going to affect almost every athletic program. I'm not pleased I hurt for the good Bethel community that has been harmed by the corrupt power hungry elements at the school. There are a lot of good people trying to stay afloat in that poisonous cesspool. Bethel was once a proud, strong institution. Your defensive posture just proves my point. Bethel is broke, it's in trouble and it's only going to get worse. As for doing good in West Tennessee, I can assure you I've done a lot more than you ever will think about.
So you think it is reasonable to make bold statements but expect me to simply take your word for their accuracy.

I am making no claims about the future of Bethel, so there is no reason to charge me with being defensive.

Regarding the amount of good you have done: yet another claim has been made without providing evidence for its accuracy. Perhaps, I am too harsh here, because you did not actually say that you had done more good that the school.

The expressions "corrupt power hungry elements", "that poisonous cesspool" are empty of content. Who are these elements? What is the source of the pollution?

You claim to have inside information. Great! What is your source of this information?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKenzie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 11 min qwerty 9,479
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr TheRealZeke 8,648
Tina 5 hr youraslut 1
Why did Sillco Inc. close 6 hr what is happening 2
McKenzie clinic 21 hr Bucky 3
Swan is closing Sep 28 my opinion 5
McKenzie mayor Sep 27 Donnie 15

McKenzie Jobs

McKenzie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

McKenzie News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in McKenzie

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]