Is Bethel University Really Broke

Posted in the McKenzie Forum

First Prev
of 53
Next Last
Is it true

Memphis, TN

#1 Nov 9, 2012
I have heard that they are in financial ruins. Is it true? I know they had alot of building going on but have heard recently that they are in alot of trouble. I just really want to know as I have thought about sending me daughter there but do not want to start there if they are going broke.
Somewhat

Mckenzie, TN

#2 Nov 9, 2012
Yes and no. They've got some serious financial issues, which is the result of poor money management and lack of accountability...but I'm under the impression they're slowly but surely trying to get things under control.

Sadly the poor behavior of a few in the administration has resulted in lots of cutbacks and some layoffs of several hard workers.
Huntingdon, TN

#3 Nov 10, 2012
maybe they wont lie to get rid of people anymore
hiring

United States

#4 Nov 12, 2012
Layoffs? But they've been hiring recruiters for the online degrees?
Somewhat

Mckenzie, TN

#5 Nov 12, 2012
They may be, don't really know. But I do know that they've let go of at least a half dozen employees.

I can't remember where I heard it, but it was said their grounds department was hardest hit; supposedly 4 were let go, leaving only 1 groundskeeper left. And they let go of a couple up in Campbell hall I think.
What is going on

United States

#6 Nov 12, 2012
I doubt it... they just spent several millon on a new building in Paris... total $12 million joint project between Bethel and the hospital.

Toured it yesterday... new building for nursing and physican assistant clases... and the start of a Bethel campus in Paris.

Nice building to open in January, check it out. New walkway over Tyson Ave. to follow connecting Bethel with the hospital. That too may not be finished till January.
Is it true

Memphis, TN

#7 Nov 12, 2012
Why would they start a Bethel campus in Paris just a few miles away and spend all that money theire instead of McKenzie? Well maybe that is the reason they are in financial ruins!

They get athletes that cant get full scholarships elsewhere and give them like a $1-2,000 and the athletes have to pay the rest. That way those that want to say they played college ball can and it actually funds the athletic department. I know for a fact this happens on JV boys basketball. Redshirt Fresmen football players and girls basketball.

Huntingdon, TN

#8 Nov 12, 2012
rumor has it that campus is going to focus on medical...like nursing and stuff..makes sense putting it there..they can work with HCMC...
PastNursingStude nt

Irving, TX

#9 Nov 12, 2012
Was told that they will build a walkway over the road. That building is supposed to be used for those in the medical field. They also spoke of getting cadavers and having a cadaver lab there. I don't know if they'll actually do that. Just what we were told as students.
What is going on

United States

#10 Nov 13, 2012
PastNursingStudent wrote:
Was told that they will build a walkway over the road. That building is supposed to be used for those in the medical field. They also spoke of getting cadavers and having a cadaver lab there. I don't know if they'll actually do that. Just what we were told as students.
The walkway is under construction... should be open by Jan. Not sure about the cadaver lab... but I have heard that is true.

Also heard they are moving some offices that are currently at a building on the Mckenzie campus to the third floor in Paris.

The Bethel section is still being worked on but is suppose to be open for students by Jan.
concerned

Mckenzie, TN

#11 Nov 14, 2012
I Heard They Shafted The Hutchinson's Bethel Court Apartments....Lawsuit Pending Arbitration...

Huntingdon, TN

#12 Nov 14, 2012
Ah...that lady had those apartments build with full intention of selling to Bethel..know for a fact
curious

Huntingdon, TN

#13 Nov 14, 2012
will the paris campus have jobs ?
Delete

United States

#14 Nov 15, 2012
Why did she build to sell? Are they being utilized
UTM Alumni

United States

#15 Nov 15, 2012
guest wrote:
rumor has it that campus is going to focus on medical...like nursing and stuff..makes sense putting it there..they can work with HCMC...
Bethel is turning into somewhat of a "degree mill" school with these silly "criminal justice" degrees offered all across the state. Podunk cops can get Pell grants to attend Bethel. Receive college credit for the time they worked in a podunk police or sheriff's department. Also, receive credit for attending a police academy that serves primarily podunk police and sheriff"s departments. College isn't for everyone. Many of these officers function at a third or fourth grade reading level. They think they are all going to go work for the TBI or FBI. Good god !!
What is going on

Atlanta, GA

#16 Nov 15, 2012
curious wrote:
will the paris campus have jobs ?
I have heard that there will be jobs!!! Just not sure if they are new jobs or transfers from the main campus. But, I suspect there will be some new jobs...not sure what types.

If I were looking for a job there I would contact the main campus in McKenzie, as the Paris campus bilding is still being worked on inside and won't open until Jan. So, don't think there is anyone at the Paris campus building that can help.
mba

United States

#17 Nov 15, 2012
Is the mba program a diploma mill?
concerned

Mckenzie, TN

#18 Nov 15, 2012
guest wrote:
Ah...that lady had those apartments build with full intention of selling to Bethel..know for a fact
But I Heard That Bethel Gave Her The Shaft..And She Is Currently In Litigation...
Science guy

Paris, TN

#19 Nov 20, 2012
They went from one extreme to another in the past few years. Lots of money spent on campus that came from somewhere besides tuition . I figured it would catch up with them sooner or later.

Huntingdon, TN

#20 Nov 23, 2012
well you know it is like that old saying what comes around goes around...you crap on people sooner or later it is going to come and bite back

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 53
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKenzie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diana Turnbo 13 hr Evlis Persley 6
antique mall or merchants outlet mall (Mar '11) Sun Dana 42
News 35 years in prison pleases cop dad (Jul '07) Jul 4 Debnie 158
one more time.. will pay $$$ Jul 4 livinglarge 4
diana Turnbo (Feb '11) Jul 4 Self 32
Kortney is a dumb.... (Nov '14) Jul 3 curious 12
Mr ricketts (Dec '14) Jul 3 curious 7
More from around the web

McKenzie People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE