16 charged in alleged illegal gamblin...

16 charged in alleged illegal gambling operation

There are 128 comments on the PA Office of Attorney General Press RSS Feed story from Sep 5, 2013, titled 16 charged in alleged illegal gambling operation. In it, PA Office of Attorney General Press RSS Feed reports that:

Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane today announced charges against 16 people in connection with an alleged illegal gambling operation in and around McKeesport, Pa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PA Office of Attorney General Press RSS Feed.

Glassport Watcher

Pittsburgh, PA

#100 Oct 3, 2013
Someone was going to rent the old Glass House bar to open a new "social club" but after the indictments changed their mind. Yet M&M 's seems immune to indictment?! Guess it's who you blow and how much you pay. Good ol GL..Assport
Your streets

Mckeesport, PA

#101 Oct 4, 2013
Gambling raiders found stashes of cash across Mon Valley
September 18, 2013 12:09 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/local/nei...
Hmmmmm

Mckeesport, PA

#102 Oct 4, 2013
Interesting quote from LoPresti in today's Trib. Can't wait to see the "positive outcomes that result from their continued talks with the AG to save Holtzman's life / job."

>>>>>Forward Township police Chief Mark Holtzman and three others charged for their alleged involvement in an illegal Mon Valley gambling operation waived their cases to court Thursday morning.

Holtzman, 57, of McKeesport is charged with gambling devices, conspiracy and two counts of corrupt organization.

Holtzman was accompanied by his attorney Chuck LoPresti at preliminary hearing before Forest Hills Magisterial District Judge Thomas Caulfield.

Charges against Holtzman stem from an investigation by the Attorney General's Organized Crime Section and state police, centered around alleged ring leader Ronald “Porky” Melocchi Sr., owner of Glassport-based Back Alley Vending.

“I can't get into discussions that I'm having with my client,” LoPresti said.“I can tell you procedurally today what we did was waive the case, in its entirety with no amendments, into court.

“We intend to continue to have discussions with the Attorney General's office. We respect what they've done so far. Hopefully we'll be able to make something very positive happen here as a result of all the negativity that's occurring. That's my goal here. It's no secret. We're just trying to save a guy's life and a guy's job.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/neighborhoods/yourmckeesp...
Follow us:@triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
Porky and Larry

Pittsburgh, PA

#103 Oct 4, 2013
Stop at Pepinos we are back in full operation ..new machines and plenty of action. BE THERE......AT PEPINOS!!!!!!!
Flippers Win Positive

Mckeesport, PA

#104 Oct 4, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
Interesting quote from LoPresti in today's Trib. Can't wait to see the "positive outcomes that result from their continued talks with the AG to save Holtzman's life / job."
The outcome might be very positive and favorable as a reduced sentence for Marc.

Also, the outcome could be a very positive and favorable for the Deputy AG prosecutors when Marc and Dan flip on the covert ring leaders.
Ok ok ok

Mckeesport, PA

#105 Oct 4, 2013
Flippers Win Positive wrote:
<quoted text>
The outcome might be very positive and favorable as a reduced sentence for Marc.
Also, the outcome could be a very positive and favorable for the Deputy AG prosecutors when Marc and Dan flip on the covert ring leaders.
If they can turn over someone higher in authority of McKeesport, that'd be best. The only way to save them is for them to flip, accept nothing else or less. Man up you two! You have families and wives to protect, show THEM you care because they certainly care about you two!

Holtzman's wife is one of the best and well worth the flipping! Not very often you see a wife care about others more than herself! Please flip in favor of all involved and the entire Mon Valley, your families need you.
PSP

Mckeesport, PA

#107 Oct 4, 2013
Porky and Larry wrote:
Stop at Pepinos we are back in full operation ..new machines and plenty of action. BE THERE......AT PEPINOS!!!!!!!
Thanks we will right over. We know the location of the place and we will not be playing the machines.
It Is Jamming Time

Mckeesport, PA

#109 Oct 4, 2013
All things considered, IMO Holtzman and Carr are best positioned to reduce their charges by turning or flipping to because cooperating state witnesses.

They are too family oriented and young to risk time in the cage. Holtzman could save his job and city police pension.

In the eyes of the AG, it could be first come, first served a plea bargain pass.

Both are City insiders connected with the inter sanctum command and nefarious working of the City.

Their flipping will not bode well for any City or state elected official and others embedded in the corrupt organization.
tail backer

West Mifflin, PA

#110 Oct 4, 2013
i'd do the ag doggie style cause i think she has a great ass
Right on

Mckeesport, PA

#111 Oct 5, 2013
It Is Jamming Time wrote:
All things considered, IMO Holtzman and Carr are best positioned to reduce their charges by turning or flipping to because cooperating state witnesses.
They are too family oriented and young to risk time in the cage. Holtzman could save his job and city police pension.
In the eyes of the AG, it could be first come, first served a plea bargain pass.
Both are City insiders connected with the inter sanctum command and nefarious working of the City.
Their flipping will not bode well for any City or state elected official and others embedded in the corrupt organization.
The passes will be gone if these two wait too long out of self ego pride.
Right on

Mckeesport, PA

#112 Oct 5, 2013
White Oak Lady wrote:
Only a tip of the "iceberg".How could the McKeesport Public Officials and the Police Department not know this was going on?(Probably were protecting the entire operation). What kind of a role model is Mark Holtzman, Sr.? For the sake of the students at McKeesport HS, he needs to step down as School Director, if he has any decency left. Everyone has had a loved one with an illness but it doesn't cause them to become a criminal. The Twin Oaks lounge in Rainbow Village Shopping Center, White Oak Borough is a few doors away from the Magistrates office, the White Oak Borough Mayor frequented the Twin Oaks Lounge. How could they not know what was going on?
I hope Pa. Attorney General Kane goes after the "Drug Kingpins" in this same locale next, maybe we wouldn't have so many young people addicted to drugs and "OH" don't forget about all of the "murders".
I applaud AG Kane for doing what she is doing. We need more public officials like her, maybe our world would be a much better, safer place.
McKeesport is declining in population quickly.
It Is Jamming Time

Mckeesport, PA

#113 Oct 5, 2013
Right on wrote:
<quoted text>
The passes will be gone if these two wait too long out of self ego pride.
Mark and Dan and their legal advisors are very smart and on top of their profession.

They will do the right things at the right time for their clients. I think that Mark's attorney already sent some signals out that he wants to minimize harm to his client. Very smart and clever move.

Those signals translated into a plea bargain IMO. This is good for Mark and family but could be not so good for others intimately and covertly involved.
unknown

United States

#114 Oct 5, 2013
How could holtz lose his police pension? He earned that by putting in the years and it sounds really stupid saying they could take that away.
Pension Forfeit Question

Mckeesport, PA

#115 Oct 5, 2013
unknown wrote:
How could holtz lose his police pension? He earned that by putting in the years and it sounds really stupid saying they could take that away.
Like you I hope the rules are different for Mr. Mark Holtzman who I relay like.

Sandusky so far came out second best on his pension forfeiture decision.

We are on your side Mark and hope this does not apply to your matter. If you go the plea bargain route I am sure your attorney will address this issue to your satisfaction.

Jerry Sandusky seeks return of forfeited pension

Convicted serial pedophile Jerry Sandusky wants his money back.

In a notice of appeal filed with the State Employees Retirement System last month, Sandusky said his $59,000 annual pension was wrongly forfeited in the wake of his October sentencing for molesting 10 boys.

Jerry Sandusky, jury selection day 2Jerry Sandusky said his $59,000 annual pension was wrongly forfeited.

CHRIS KNIGHT, The Patriot-News, file

The Patriot-News received the letter from SERS in response to an open records request today.

Sandusky has based his appeal on two major points:

* That he joined the system in 1969, before the pension forfeiture act was enacted.
* That he was not an employee of Penn State after 2004 and therefore had no students, when the act was amended to make sex crimes against students a cause for forfeiture.

In its initial ruling, SERS staff held that Sandusky remained a "de facto" employee of Penn State in the years after his 1999 retirement, and that he was in position to commit the crimes in question because of that relationship.

SERS has also noted that the two victims Sandusky was found to have molested after the law change in 2004 were students, albeit not students at the university.

Sandusky's attorney, Charles Benjamin Jr., has asked SERS to reconsider its finding or, in the alternative, to set an administrative hearing.
Examples

West Mifflin, PA

#116 Oct 5, 2013
Mike Veon lost his state pension

DeWeese lost his state pension

Vincent Fumo lost his pension

Former State House Speaker John Perzel lost his pension.

I have about 25 more crooked politicians in the state that have also lost their pensions over the years.
Examples

West Mifflin, PA

#117 Oct 5, 2013
unknown wrote:
If you also are of age to collect Social Security that payment stops too.
About down for count

Sharon, PA

#118 Oct 5, 2013
Stingo is Bingo at Times wrote:
<quoted text>
Coffee shops in Western PA are very profitable. You can make unbelievable cash flow from a 12 cup coffee pot and 2 dozen of donuts. Try it as a business venture -- it cannot fail if you hire the Porkster and dumb as a box of rocks Red as business consultants.
I remember an old Coach Chuck Noll saga with one of his star line backers. Coach Noll was chastising him about the way he defended a play. The line backer told Noll that he was thinking the blocker was going to play him a certain way. Coach Noll said what make you think the offensive blocker did not known what you were thinking?
What makes you think that AG Kane and State Police do not know what the corruption organization is thinking and doing? Including, the great municipality of Glassport.
Is this a cat and mouse game of moves and covert counter moves? Is this another hilarious Honorable Rep Mac Gergely STINGO? Stay tuned as more indictments should come down.
He served coffee with the payouts to keep the players at the machines.
Jail All the Crooks

Mckeesport, PA

#119 Oct 5, 2013
Examples wrote:
Mike Veon lost his state pension
DeWeese lost his state pension
Vincent Fumo lost his pension
Former State House Speaker John Perzel lost his pension.
I have about 25 more crooked politicians in the state that have also lost their pensions over the years.
I am in the process of reading a recently released book name KEYSTONE CORRUPTIONS. It may be discussed in the book.

So far the book is a bombshell, but I have a lot more to read.
Farmsworth

West Mifflin, PA

#120 Oct 5, 2013
Right on wrote:
<quoted text>
McKeesport is declining in population quickly.
I agree and one should take into consideration that in the 50's that population was over 50K, now it's under 19K.....which means you no longer need 7 people on council, but only 5, and the school board from 9 to 7........less population means less officials to run the town. Many smaller towns in Pa have 5 council members and as few as 5 on the school board.
MASD N City Overstaffed

Mckeesport, PA

#121 Oct 5, 2013
Farmsworth wrote:
<quoted text>I agree and one should take into consideration that in the 50's that population was over 50K, now it's under 19K.....which means you no longer need 7 people on council, but only 5, and the school board from 9 to 7........less population means less officials to run the town. Many smaller towns in Pa have 5 council members and as few as 5 on the school board.
Your thoughts and intentions have merit but you missed the whole point after you had it in your crosshairs.

The MASD school board members serve without pay. City council members are paid about $4000 per year. Total saving $8000.

Now the point you missed. The time is coming where the city might not be able to afford over 160 employees and a paid fire department. The Delta report stated that the city was over staffed with police persons.

Look at this way. The city population is about 19,000 and the budget is about $19,000,000. In other words it cost every person in each household $1000 EACH to operate our city.

The MASD has too many over paid administrators and teachers. The school district does not need two business managers that together cost the MASD well over $300,000 with benefits.

The superintendent is over paid also with all his over paid staff. They could fire 10 administrators without impact on education IMO. But the board is controlled by the MDC, union and the senator so this would never happen. They will sting the taxpayers for any amount of taxes to preserve votes.

Unfortunately, that is the way it is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

McKeesport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Little Perv 1 hr News Flash 26
Reverse cowgirl or doggystyle? 11 hr Dick Seenormous 5
I love Mckeesport (Aug '16) 23 hr Hobo Jim McKeesport 57
democratic vs republician (May '17) Sun Hobo Jim McKeesport 81
anyone remember that guy who faked jumping off ... (Nov '11) Apr 20 Gentle Reader 10
who was JOEY BERTONE? (Apr '10) Apr 20 Malcon INXS 333
What was brick alley? any pictures?any stories? (Apr '10) Apr 15 Hobo Jim McKeesport 90

McKeesport Jobs

Personal Finance

McKeesport Mortgages